Exporting a RIB File from DS 4.5

StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

I would like to export my files from DS 4.5 to a stand-alone installation of 3Delight on another machine to improve my render times. Is this script still relevant http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/rendering/render_to_rib/start? Thanks in advance for any help regarding this!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Just go to the Advanced Render Settings and at the bottom...Render to RIB checkcox, name the file and check Keep Shadows (not absolutely necessary if using raytraced shadows) and Collect and Localize.

That will create a RIB file and a folder...inside the folder is another RIB file. The one inside the folder is the one you want, as it refers to all the textures, shaders and geometry inside the folder...the other one refers to stuff in its original locations.

So to render on another machine...take/send that folder to it the render machine and run renderdl on the RIB in the folder.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Just go to the Advanced Render Settings and at the bottom...Render to RIB checkcox, name the file and check Keep Shadows (not absolutely necessary if using raytraced shadows) and Collect and Localize.

That will create a RIB file and a folder...inside the folder is another RIB file. The one inside the folder is the one you want, as it refers to all the textures, shaders and geometry inside the folder...the other one refers to stuff in its original locations.

So to render on another machine...take/send that folder to it the render machine and run renderdl on the RIB in the folder.

Thank you! Thank you! I'll go try that now :)

edited December 1969

Hi,

I've exported files from DS and started the render via the terminal in my Mac Pro. The terminal shows that the render happening. How do I determine its progress? I read the documentation but I'm now sure what command I should type to figure this out. When I started the render, I typed in -id renderdl name.rib but it didn't display a window as stated in the documentation. Am I missing some kind of syntax that would be native to the Mac OS? I did test the stand-alone of 3Delight by working through the examples that came with it--so I know it works, just not sure how to make the display driver execute. Any suggestions?

edited March 2013

When I started the render, I typed in -id renderdl name.rib but it didn't display a window as stated in the documentation. Am I missing some kind of syntax that would be native to the Mac OS? I did test the stand-alone of 3Delight by working through the examples that came with it--so I know it works, just not sure how to make the display driver execute. Any suggestions?

On Windows and Linux it's renderdl -id filename.rib...

Typing in renderdl -h should bring up the help/command list.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

On Windows and Linux it's renderdl -id filename.rib...

Typing in renderdl -h should bring up the help/command list.

Hi, I looked at my terminal and that is actually what I had typed. I transposed it when I retyped to ask for help :) I also tried the renderdl -h command and it didn't bring up anything helpful so I'm just going to leave my machine on over night and hopefully it's rendering. I'll find out when i wake up ;)

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited March 2013

in my experience, just click on the RIB file and automatically renderdl is executing.
    no need to typing on system console window. the new version includes "shell extension?" like winzip or winrar does.

3delight.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 537K
    Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
    edited December 1969

in my experience, just click on the RIB file and automatically renderdl is executing.
    no need to typing on system console window. the new version includes "shell extension?" like winzip or winrar does.

Windows version...yes. Linux version needs to be manually setup to offer that. Mac version, I'm not sure about...but probably needs to be setup too.

edited December 1969

Hi,

Yes. In order for renderdl to execute you have to make the call to the Unix executable file via the terminal.

I did figure out why I wasn't seeing a window. The .rib file in the second folder (collected folder) has no information... it shows 0 kb. The other .rib file that isn't in the folder holds all of the info but the paths are all incorrect and have to be manually changed (all 150 of them) in a text editor. Is this a quirk in the Unix shell? Does anyone know? There has to be an easier way to do this. Or maybe I'm doing something incorrectly in DS when exporting out as an .rib. Thank you all for trying to help. Perhaps if I can figure this out it will be something that will help other Mac users :)