request sticky on DIM and Genesis to C 8.5beta loading issues?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Would it be useful to gave a sticky to dump Genesis and DIM related loading issues? I seem to come up with a new (to me) problem every time I buy something.

I have previous Genesis-related content that loads from the smart content tab in C8.5 beta and works as expected. However, I just bought Aiko 5 for Genesis and some other Genesis-related products. I downloaded and installed using the DIM to the default location, which I have added to the locations for DazStudio and for Carrara content folders. A5 loads in DazStudio smart content and into scenes in Studio, has parameter dials, etc. A5 appears in the C 8.5b smart content tab and in the file folder. However, I get a blank bone structure if I try to load it into C8.5 (172) beta using the smart content tab, and if I try to load as a duf after having exported it from DAZStudio in duf format. However, if I export from Studio in collada format, it loads in C8.5 (but I have other issues, like difficulty with "fit to"). I use windows 7 on a pc.

So
1) I'd like to solve my current problem with A5, and will continue working my way through the help page, searching the forum, and awaiting a response to my help ticket.
2) This category of problem seems relatively common, although the details vary. Maybe it would be useful to have a sticky at the top of the forum to collect and make available problems and solutions on an ongoing basis. I suspect some of you very generous and helpful people are getting tired of pointing infrequent users and hobbyists like me to the same answer resources.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Great idea. Many of these issues will likely disappear with the final release of 8.5
    but then there are certain to be new ones which could (and should) be added t that same, or a new, stickied thread.
    There are many issues with DIM, and many issues with Genesis in Carrara. I have some of the info in the Carrara Info thread, and links to many resources in there as well - so that's at least some help. But a direct line sticky would be a great idea. If it would happen to be this post, for example, would you be willing to take up the task, diomede64?
    Of course, you would not be alone - but you would be the editor whom can change the first post and title of the thread - since it is your thread.
    If it happens that way, I'll gladly change this post to something useful rather than what I have written here now ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Diomedia :)

while it's a good idea to bring together the issues in one area,.. that's what the bug reporter is for.
    rather than having multiple threads in the forum.

bug reports are dealt with by the developers and Daz Staff,. so it's the main route for reporting issues you're getting while testing the beta.

There's a link to the (Mantis) Bug Reporter, on the firts page of the 8.5 beta release thread.

:)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

I don't use CMS, smart content, or DIM and have no issues loading genesis or any genesis items.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Montgomery Scott

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Diomedia :)

while it's a good idea to bring together the issues in one area,.. that's what the bug reporter is for.
    rather than having multiple threads in the forum.

bug reports are dealt with by the developers and Daz Staff,. so it's the main route for reporting issues you're getting while testing the beta.

There's a link to the (Mantis) Bug Reporter, on the firts page of the 8.5 beta release thread.

:)

Right, but I think he's talking about a thread here, in the forums, to where folks with issues can read through some sort of comprehensive outline of details regarding what to do if... why you can't see this... how do I...??? sort of things - And I also think that a "What files to download from the store" might help too, if there was a specific structure behind it all. It seems to change without notice unless you're privy to which forum thread to check. It should really be detailed somewhere within your account download area, really. And it just seems to keep getting worse, now with DSON. So I've been avoiding DSON downloads - only to now find out that this is the format they're making compatible with Carrara 8.5? Oh fricking Dear!!! :-/
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Thanks all. I do like the concept of the smart content tab so I will decline to abandon it, as per Manstan. Some of these DIM hiccups turn out to be features, not bugs, so I don't think the bug tracker is the way to go, as per 3dage. For example, the thread on locating the Gen5 figures started by Mr. Static had very helpful information that will ultimately reduce the number of files on my drive, even though it didn't solve my problem with Aiko 5. Having only 1 install location is probably viewed as a feature, not a bug.

Ultimately, I uninstalled and reinstalled Studio and C8.5beta. Aiko 5 now works appropriately in C8.5 (although now i've got other problems, aargh). I don't think uninstall and reinstall the programs every time content is purchased is a good long term solution, though.

Anyway, because I had looked through threads started by static, orionuk, and others before posting, and because I suspect there will be other people (and me if I can save up for another treat) who run into content installation problems - and then start backtracking through forum threads - I thought a sticky would be worth considering.

On the other hand, to the extent some of these problems turn out to be true bugs, and get fixed, maybe the bulk of such a thread would turn out to be useless over time, as per 3dage's suggestion. Just thought it was worth discussing while my files are reloaded.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Thanks all. I do like the concept of the smart content tab so I will decline to abandon it, as per Manstan. Some of these DIM hiccups turn out to be features, not bugs, so I don't think the bug tracker is the way to go, as per 3dage. For example, the thread on locating the Gen5 figures started by Mr. Static had very helpful information that will ultimately reduce the number of files on my drive, even though it didn't solve my problem with Aiko 5. Having only 1 install location is probably viewed as a feature, not a bug.

Ultimately, I uninstalled and reinstalled Studio and C8.5beta. Aiko 5 now works appropriately in C8.5 (although now i've got other problems, aargh). I don't think uninstall and reinstall the programs every time content is purchased is a good long term solution, though.

Anyway, because I had looked through threads started by static, orionuk, and others before posting, and because I suspect there will be other people (and me if I can save up for another treat) who run into content installation problems - and then start backtracking through forum threads - I thought a sticky would be worth considering.

On the other hand, to the extent some of these problems turn out to be true bugs, and get fixed, maybe the bulk of such a thread would turn out to be useless over time, as per 3dage's suggestion. Just thought it was worth discussing while my files are reloaded.

Tell you what;
    I'll see what I can do to hunt down as many of these situational threads as I can, and put links to them in a Genesis/Carrara 8.5 beta support post in the Carrara Information thread, that IS stickied. That way folks can have a quick spot to check and see if there issues are covered already, so they can do a little reading for help without getting actively involved.
    It should help - I'll put a special link to it in the table of contents when I get it together - and likely post a link to it in here as well.
    edited December 1969

Here's a start:
    Genesis - Carrara 8.5beta - DIM Support Thread Links
    Put it towards the top of the table of contents, too ;)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Thanks. D, generous and thoughtful as always

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Thanks. D, generous and thoughtful as always
    I try ;)
    I'll be getting more links in there when I get more time. If you have any suggestions already, please let me know and I'll add them :)
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

I'm with you both on this ,. I think it's a generally good idea to air the issues people are having using the beta,. but it needs to be a fine line, since the devs don't read these pages,. it could be easy to discuss an issue here,. and not report the issue in the tracker,. or,.. we could figure a work around solution to the issue, and it doesn't get dealt with properly,.

I think it was part of the reason for the Beta release thread, where people could post issues, and keep it all in one thread.

Features ,.. can also be requested using the bug tracker,. so, whether it's a definable Big that happens for many users, or a feature to hide more then one icon for any product,. they should both be in the bug tracker.

the duplicate thumbnail icon, is a known issue, and as far as I know, it's being looked at.

With that said,.. I know that people come here for help and advice first,.
    they don't normally search the bug tracker to see if an issue has been reported, or fixed.

So,. anything that helps,... helps :)