Mortella Dress: Dynamic for Poser and conforming for Genesis!

ArienArien Posts: 192
edited July 2012 in Freebies

A *lot* of people have asked for this dress since Maelwenn released the character originally. The latest request was made not that long ago, and I've finally managed to find the files I needed.

The latest discussion can be found here
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/191/

and it's useful if you want some history on what it is, and what is included and why.

The files can be downloaded from
http://www.arien-graphics.com/wp/?p=852

Enjoy!

This has now been updated to Genesis too, still downloadable from the link above!

Post edited by Arien on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

Is this a poser dynamic dress? Will it work in Poser 2012?

• ArienArien Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

It is indeed a Poser dynamic dress. I've saved it in PP2010, I've got problems rendering in PP2012 so I haven't checked it there, but I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

edited December 1969

Ok, I've loaded it and run a simulation in PP2012 and it's working fine.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,879
    edited December 1969

Thank you, I know this was talked about a lot in the past, glad you were finally able to release it.

edited December 1969

You're welcome.

Another render, showing what can be done with the material zones...

MortellaDress2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 31K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much! I've loved that dress since I saw it. Thank you for sharing it :)

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Arien said:
    A *lot* of people have asked for this dress since Maelwenn released the character originally. The latest request was made not that long ago, and I've finally managed to find the files I needed.

The latest discussion can be found here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/191/

and it's useful if you want some history on what it is, and what is included and why.

The files can be downloaded from
    http://www.arien-graphics.com/wp/?p=852

Enjoy!

thanks Arien, this will work great for the Oct monster mash bash at the freebie challenge/contest

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

I am not very familiar with the cloth room, but I did get the dress to look good on her in a standing position.
    When I try to make it work with her sitting in a chair..forget it..been trying all morning. I know it will work but I just have not figured it out yet.
    I set collisions to floor, V4, chair and table..but it just ends up in a wad..any suggestions?

simulation.jpg
    700 x 416 - 56K
    Morty.jpg
    382 x 640 - 80K
    edited June 2012

That looks like you started the simulation from that position, is it me or does it say frame 01 of 60 there (sorry, I really can't make it out that well, but viewing it in Photoshop, that's what its showing me)? The frame 01 should always be the starter T pose. For seating, usually it's better not to "sit" the figure directly but to slide the seat from behind, so you'd start with her standing, and the chair moved backwards; start moving it forwards about frame 30 as she's lowering into position, and have both in place by frame 45 or so, then clear and re-run the simulation.

Post edited by Arien on
    edited December 1969

Hi Arien, Thank you..Yes I was thinking it best to have the starting frame as close to the final result as you can?? So you start her out as standing in the first frame then have her seated in the last and move the chair in mid sim? I used 60 frames to give more time for a better fit is this OK?
    This is the first time I tried the cloth room for a seated position lol..didnt do so well with it. Thanks for your help! :)

edited December 1969

No, the dress is a prop and only has one position, which is T-pose. You need to ALWAYS start from T-pose, with your base figure zeroed and no pokethrough at all, the collision settings take care of moving the dress around while posing. That's why you use animation and not just a draping simulation. If you start from anything else, the dress will pokethrough and of course the collision and cloth simulation engine will not work as intended.

edited December 1969

So..I start with the V4 in Tpose in frame 1 and then move to the last frame and seat V4 and I leave the dress where it is and it will follow her position in the last frame?
    I guess I am unsure where to put the dress in the last frame--leave it or move it closer to her after I have her posed...thanks for your help.

edited December 1969

you don'\t move the dress at all. The cloth engine recognises where it's colliding with the body or any other item it should collide with, and gets dragged around, as long as it is within reason (i.e. if you try to make her do the splits, the cloth might tear and do weird stuff).

Have you downloaded the pdf from my website or read the instructions there?

edited December 1969

Yes I did download the pdf and I was thinking it was for a hybrid?? Not real sure what that is..but I will look it over again if the instructions pertain to a regular dynamic cloth.
    I will give it another shot.
    Thanks again!

edited December 1969

Hybrids are when you have conforming items and you clothify one or more parts of them (in the case of the MFD, the skirt). This works really well if you have items that have parts that work better as dynamic and others as conforming.

You have an explanation on how to use a wholly dynamic outfit here
    http://www.arien-graphics.com/wp/?p=595

edited December 1969

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain things to me and for the dress! I will give it another shot after I read your tutorial you provided the link to.
    Thanks! :)

edited December 1969

You're welcome! I try to include the info in the readmes, the link to both the pdf and the tut are in the readme I included with the Mortella dress, but I understand that most people do prefer to "try things out" :)

Enjoy!

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited June 2012

Thanks for the lovely dress. Lookie, works on Genesis too :) I've imported the object and used the Transfer Utility to fit it to Genesis. Was just a quick try to see if it can be done.

Edited to remove over-sized images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    Thanks for the lovely dress. Lookie, works on Genesis too :) I've imported the object and used the Transfer Utility to fit it to Genesis. Was just a quick try to see if it can be done.
    Beat me to it...I've just downloaded with the same thought in mind.

Thanks for this Arien....

edited December 1969

I was wondering if it would work with Genesis, that is why I asked if it would work in Poser 2012

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:

Great! Now if I just could find a Carolyn Jones face morph for Genesis :wow:

Nice render Puntomaus and thank you for the lovely gown Arien!

Cheers Oom

edited December 1969

Hi again! I just couldn't resist this. I made a quick and rather crude morph to fit the gown to the default Genesis. It now follows shapes pretty well, with in reason. I use DS so I can not use the dynamics, it will take a ton of deformers to keep the sleeves and tentacles in place.
    Here with the Catrina character. The gown deserves a much better shader than this one, sorry about that.

Thanks again!

Oom

mo2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 134K
    edited December 1969

Hi again! I just couldn't resist this. I made a quick and rather crude morph to fit the gown to the default Genesis. It now follows shapes pretty well, with in reason. I use DS so I can not use the dynamics, it will take a ton of deformers to keep the sleeves and tentacles in place.
    Here with the Catrina character. The gown deserves a much better shader than this one, sorry about that.

Thanks again!

Oom
    That looks great Oom...is there anyway you could legally share the morph?
    edited December 1969

I thought my render was ok. It was only 800 pixel wide and the link above said something about 800 pixel square. So what does square mean then? Is it the same as wide?

edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    I thought my render was ok. It was only 800 pixel wide and the link above said something about 800 pixel square. So what does square mean then? Is it the same as wide?

I think the longest side would have to be 800 or less.

edited December 1969

Thank you. Well yeah, that would explain why it has been removed. Was a bit longer than 800.

edited June 2012

Pendraia said:

Thanks again!

Oom

No, it is a .obj so the whole mesh is in the morph. I don't know if it is possible to save the morph as a .dsf but then, I guess, the base mesh has to be .dsf too. Also, as I said, the sleeves and tentacles are a pain to deal with, you will have to rig them to make the gown work well in DS. I have never tried to make a rig.
    So fire up you modeller... ;) I could use shrinkwarp in blender for most of the mesh so it was a limited effort.

Cheers! Oom

Post edited by Oom Fooyat on
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Thanks again!

Oom

No, it is a .obj so the whole mesh is in the morph. I don't know if it is possible to save the morph as a .dsf but then, I guess, the base mesh has to be .dsf too. Also, as I said, the sleeves and tentacles are a pain to deal with, you will have to rig them to make the gown work well in DS. I have never tried to make a rig. So fire up you modeller... ;) I could use shrinkwarp in blender for most of the mesh so it was a limited effort.

Cheers! OomNo problem, I had originally planned on doing something with it myself anyway...thanks for answering. It will be easily adjusted in hex to fit and then the basic rig done using the transfer utility. Adding extra bones for the sleeve and the tentacles will be the tricky bit and I meant to work out how to do that anyway, so it will give me something to practice on.

cheers

Pen

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:

Thanks again!

Oom

No, it is a .obj so the whole mesh is in the morph. I don't know if it is possible to save the morph as a .dsf but then, I guess, the base mesh has to be .dsf too. Also, as I said, the sleeves and tentacles are a pain to deal with, you will have to rig them to make the gown work well in DS. I have never tried to make a rig. So fire up you modeller... ;) I could use shrinkwarp in blender for most of the mesh so it was a limited effort.

Cheers! OomNo problem, I had originally planned on doing something with it myself anyway...thanks for answering. It will be easily adjusted in hex to fit and then the basic rig done using the transfer utility. Adding extra bones for the sleeve and the tentacles will be the tricky bit and I meant to work out how to do that anyway, so it will give me something to practice on.

cheers

Pen

Good luck Pen! :) I'm looking forward too see the result.

Oom

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:

Thanks again!

Oom

Cheers! Oom

No problem, I had originally planned on doing something with it myself anyway...thanks for answering. It will be easily adjusted in hex to fit and then the basic rig done using the transfer utility. Adding extra bones for the sleeve and the tentacles will be the tricky bit and I meant to work out how to do that anyway, so it will give me something to practice on.

cheers

Pen

Good luck Pen! :) I'm looking forward too see the result.

Oom Thanks it may take a while as I won't get chance to do it for two weeks. Hopefully while I'm on holiday in two weeks I'll get chance,

Pen