Known Forum Issues Curently Being Worked On and Old Forum Link

Comments

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited May 2012

While we're talking about email notifications for threads...I don't know if this is something that can change, but since Annie's putting together a "to do" list -

It is rather frustrating that the topic for EVERY new email is

"Someone just posted in DAZ Discussion Forum"

When you actually click on the email, you do see the name of the thread, but it needs to tell you in the subject line what the thread is, like it used to and like it does at all the other forums.

Oh, and (forgive me if this is already listed). In order to have a break between paragraphs, you have to hit enter TWICE.

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
  • VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited May 2012

Agree as usual with Alisa's note...that's always bothered me when any forum sends out updates that don't say the subject name. I'd rather get the e-mail and NOT need to open it, just go back to the forum and view the related thread. Ditto FA's note about one e-bot update per visit, at least as an option. I'm sure some folks like their mailboxes being filled up when voting sales roll around. o.o;

Something that's bugging me here and in the store are dates. Especially for leading posts or posts from admin, (such as in this known issues thread,) it's very handy to see when a post was last updated. That seems to be gone now. Also, we need to see when store item sales end. Many of us starving artists have to time and budget our spending and can't just jump on an item as soon as it pops up. We've gotta know how to plan where money goes.

Oooh. I like the characters remaining count down there. :D An internal spell check, to boot. Let's try it...spiffy. I'm leaving the extra "o" in Oooh, though. I like to live dangerously.

Hint to those who like to use formatting: Finish all or most of your typing first, then edit the styles. Web editors (even offline ones) have often been wonky with maintaining styles while typing.

Huh...Alisa, I think that's three times (two extra times) for paragraph breaks. Weird.

Post edited by VoltisArt on
    edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:

Huh...Alisa, I think that's three times (two extra times) for paragraph breaks. Weird.

Very weird!!!

Also agree with all your other suggestions. The spell check's nice - I guess there's a limit to the number of characters you can use. I don't find it useful, but it is amusing to watch the numbers go down.....

Oh, here's another... The smileys - I am not crazy about the new window opening up, but there are 2 things even worse -

1-it closes as soon as you select something, so every single time you want a smiley you have to wait for the window to open again.

2-there's nothing there telling you what the smileys each mean....

I hope Annie has a lot of paper to make to do lists on!

%-P

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Quasar said:
    I see we can navigate to the next or previous post (according the list when we first clicked the thread) from the bottom of the thread but I hope we can get the main forum navigation bar at the bottom too. That way we don't have to scroll to the top each time we want to go back to the thread list. I always go back to the commons (or whatever section I'm in) to see what threads have been updated before clicking on one. It's not really a huge deal but more of a convenience thing.

I will make a note of that request :)

Anyone experiencing any issue not on my list or anyone with thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to post to this thread :)

Hey Annie,

Would it be possible for you to post this list at the top of this thread so we can see what all you have in the list. That way we don't have to keep reading through all the posts to see if our thoughts about what when and how are or are not noted.

XO

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited May 2012

The "permalinks" that should allow you to link to a particular post in the forum are not working properly.

If a post is on the first page of a thread, the permalink works, and will take you to the intended post.

However, if the post is on any other page other than the first page, the permalink for that post will take you back to the very first post in the thread.

Without this working, there is no way to link to a post that is located several pages into a thread.

permalink.png
    789 x 78 - 28K
    Post edited by de3an on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Another thing to note.... I've found that if there is just one page to the thread the notification link WILL take you to the newest post. If there are more than one page that's when it just takes to the first post of the first page of the thread. So there is a setting that needs to be tweaked there. I was noticing that last night before bed.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just a few requests/tweaks if you're taking them:

1 - Please install the previous smileys as they were smaller yet more legible than the new ones.
    2 - Please install the previous font as it was larger, better spaced, and more legible than the current one.
    3 - Please add YouTube and Vimeo embedding.

While we used to have YouTube embedding, it always amazed me why we couldn't embed Vimeo, especially as Vimeo is a far more civilised community of creative individuals than YouTube. Please consider allowing Vimeo to be embedded as well as YouTube.

edited May 2012

Here's another - it would be nice if there was a way in private messages to have a setting so that you ALWAYS get a copy of your pm put in the sent folder. Right now, you have to remember to check it every time and if you don't, it's gone

oh, and an addition to this - when you do get a notice about pms, it's a generic title, like with forum notifications - would be very nice if it said in the subject who you have a private message from.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Oh, here's another... The smileys - I am not crazy about the new window opening up, but there are 2 things even worse -

1-it closes as soon as you select something, so every single time you want a smiley you have to wait for the window to open again.

2-there's nothing there telling you what the smileys each mean....

I hope Annie has a lot of paper to make to do lists on!

%-P

I wish the smileys window either opened full, opened the same way as the last time after I resized it, or better still, the smileys wrapped so we only need a vertical scroll bar, rather than a horizontal one, too!!!!!

Dana

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

*Finally* I can report something I *like* about the new forum (gasp). :gulp: With images that are actually posted to the forum, if you right click and do "View Image" and then right click and do "Save Image As", you actually get the original file name!!! I can't tell you how many times I cursed at that "origimage_18267381263867.jpg" format. Of course, now that they know I like this, it will get "fixed" in the next update.:-S I suppose auto-squishing will change that, but perhaps the full size, when viewed unsquished, will have this feature. That would be supa-dupa.

Here's something else that actually seems to work: The new smileys may be somewhat limited, but they can actually insert themselves in the middle of a message, instead of always going to the end. Yay! The smileys also seem to work at the end without having to have a space manually inserted after. Yay!

Although preview with an attachment doesn't show the attachment yet, at least the new forum doesn't trash the attachment when you preview the message. Yay!

Yeah, 3 carriage returns is a little odd...

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

1. I am not getting any emails, whether it's newsletters (or have there just not been any recently?) or new post notices.

2. Do we need to add a new email address to our address books so it will be recognized as a trusted sender? What is it? I've added the new sales address already.

3. There is no way to jump to the newest unread post in a thread, like we used to be able to do. Every time I check threads that I've watched, I have to go through them to find where I left off and where the new posts start. It's not too bad when there's only 2 or 3 pages...but we all know that won't last long! :lol:

Dana

• edited December 1969

It doesnt look good I am afraid....searching engine fails, no new releases updates at home page (still same products), no fast grab, sometimes products are shown, sometimes error 404.... I hoped it will be better with time...

edited May 2012

Dana - I think it's the same email addy that the old one was, but some people aren't getting emails, and some are.

Here's another for the list -
    When you get a reply to a pm, it gives a link to go to read it at Daz...and you get to the home page, which means click on Community, click on Forums, then click on PMs. Either the email linking to the pms, or a link to your mailbox on the front page would be helpful. :)

Takes deep breath to see if this post finally makes me a member and not a new member lol

Edit-Yep. Post 26 is the magic number.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649
    edited December 1969

Here is another issue. Because I posted over-sized images to two threads this morning, they were removed by moderators. The problem is now, for me anyway, that I cannot upload another image to the same forum - even though it is a new post and the image has a new name, my old large image pops up and the moderators remove it again. I have told them what happened. Richard said it is "bizzare." OK, that's true, but is anybody working on this? Or did it only happen to me? I am afraid to post any images anywhere because those old too-big ones seem to be stuck in DAZ's cache. :ahhh:

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just noticed this one, So I did not read all this thread to see if it was reported yet.
    A thread that has been locked shows up as NEW forever.
    I got caught up in on all the posts in one forum and then jumped back into it thinking I would find a new post to only find the locked thread still showing as new. So I checked it in another forum same thing.
    That bugs me.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

I'd like to extend Alisha's previous note about the e-mail notifications to the PM notifications. They don't actually link to your private messages like the old notifications did, they instead link to the Daz main page. What's the point in that? You can't access your PMs from the main page.

• edited December 1969

I'd like to extend Alisha's previous note about the e-mail notifications to the PM notifications. They don't actually link to your private messages like the old notifications did, they instead link to the Daz main page. What's the point in that? You can't access your PMs from the main page.

This may have something to do with the fact that you get automatically logged out of the forums after 15 minutes, same as the rest of the site, so linking into something you need to be logged in to see might not actually work, right now. Just a wild guess.

On another note, the site accepts my password just fine, but anything in the forum user panel that needs a password to change insists that my password is incorrect.

edited December 1969

Was it even explained why the website logs you out every 15 minutes? I think it's incredibly silly, it'd be like Google Mail logging you out every 15 minutes. I think we're all old enough and wise enough to make our own decision as to whether we want to log off or not.

• edited December 1969

Was it even explained why the website logs you out every 15 minutes? I think it's incredibly silly, it'd be like Google Mail logging you out every 15 minutes. I think we're all old enough and wise enough to make our own decision as to whether we want to log off or not.

I think it's because there's no separation between the forum account and the shop account, like there used to be, so to protect private information, it just logs you out of everything. I'd rather see something where we had to maybe type in our password again after 15 minutes to use checkout or shop account functions, but that you'd stay generally logged in to the site so your discounts still show up and the forum still knows who you are for a significantly longer time. I can seriously spend more than 15 minutes shopping, and I definitely spent more than 15 minutes replying to this post, because I kept thinking of things and then un-thinking them and rethinking them...

edited December 1969

ThinMick said:

I think it's because there's no separation between the forum account and the shop account, like there used to be, so to protect private information, it just logs you out of everything. I'd rather see something where we had to maybe type in our password again after 15 minutes to use checkout or shop account functions, but that you'd stay generally logged in to the site so your discounts still show up and the forum still knows who you are for a significantly longer time. I can seriously spend more than 15 minutes shopping, and I definitely spent more than 15 minutes replying to this post, because I kept thinking of things and then un-thinking them and rethinking them...

I know right? 15 minutes isn't as long as some people make it out to be. I think simply logging you out completely is a bit of a lazy solution to the problem. The solution you put forward is pretty much exactly what the older website did (even when you were logged in you still needed to "log in" again for shopping actions), and is also similar to what most online banks do (Lloyds TSB requires you to input your password in again before you make any payments), and in the long run makes much more sense.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

The forum threads appear to be ordered by the time of creation (most recent first) rather than by the time of the most recent update. It would be nice to at least give the option to order by update time (as in the olden days), since an update to a very old thread will pass unnoticed. Or am I missing some kind of clever option?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

ThinMick said:

I know right? 15 minutes isn't as long as some people make it out to be. I think simply logging you out completely is a bit of a lazy solution to the problem. The solution you put forward is pretty much exactly what the older website did (even when you were logged in you still needed to "log in" again for shopping actions), and is also similar to what most online banks do (Lloyds TSB requires you to input your password in again before you make any payments), and in the long run makes much more sense.

It does rather make a mockery of the 'remember me' check box when the forum seems to have the memory retention of a goldfish. ("Castle? What castle?" ... sorry, in-joke ;))

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

DAZ_ann0314 (or any Mod in the know):

I don't seem to have the ability to edit my profile. I would like to add a sig-line.

I read the Forums FAQ's, and it states I should have a link button in the top right corner titled "Your Control Panel”, but I have no such button on any of my pages (including my Member List page).

I have four link buttons at top right only; "My Cart", "My Wishlist", "My Account" (Yes people, I've gone there, in circles several times), and "Log Out".

For troubleshooting purposes, my user name is not displayed anywhere (not even next to Log Out), and I am using my original log-in/PW. I know, it was said everyone would need to "rejoin", but I tried my old log-in, it worked, so I stuck with it.

Could this be the deciding issue?

Do I really need to create a new account just to have one link button to add/edit profile attributes?

Take care all...
    Ken

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    I read the Forums FAQ's, and it states I should have a link button in the top right corner titled "Your Control Panel”, but I have no such button on any of my pages (including my Member List page).

I have four link buttons at top right only; "My Cart", "My Wishlist", "My Account" (Yes people, I've gone there, in circles several times), and "Log Out".

The two links for profile and editing, at least for me, are in the gray area that is the same color as the background at the edge of the screen, in the space between all the menu bars and the top of the thread box.

First line on right side, dark: "My cart...etc...Log Out"
    Next line, white: Search box
    Next line, beige grey: Home / Forum Home...etc.
    Open space matching light grey background around thread box: Your public profile, Your control panel
    Lighter grey box with blue links
    Black box with PM stuff.

edited December 1969

Let's see how much I can mess up posting a screen clip...

O, note that those links aren't on all pages. They only seem to appear on regular forum browsing pages. They're gone as I'm typing this post or if I open the account settings.

Untitled-5.jpg
    337 x 325 - 71K
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. I am seeing it now. Good to go...

I could swear it was not there earlier when I made my post (on any page), but now they are there.

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

Take care all...
    Ken

• edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    ThinMick said:

It does rather make a mockery of the 'remember me' check box when the forum seems to have the memory retention of a goldfish. ("Castle? What castle?" ... sorry, in-joke ;)) I wish they'd get a new goldfish; maybe one that's been genetically altered to have a memory like an elephant.:smirk: I liked being able to sign in in the morning....go dilly dallying around throughout the day, come back & just be able to pop in for whatever without having to constantly sign in.

At least, now Daz isn't trying to influence me to munch on some pancakes with the asking me if I'm not this guy with a name that reminds of a famous syrup.:shut:

• MJ_VivianightMJ_Vivianight Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It would be nice if people stopped posting the names of others in the forum of those wrong names popping up for them in the store. Moderators...?

edited December 1969

...whut?

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Whenever I post from Safari 5.1.7 it reports the the "Site is not secure. Continue?"