HDRI

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am looking for a well balanced set of HDRI images I can use in Carrara 8 pro. CHEAP I hope any advice! I was looking at the ones on DAZ but they are very restricted!

PLEASE ADVISE

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Not sure if they are still available...but look at the Christmas thread, 3DWorld had a couple then and Christmas 2011 ones stuck around forever.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Rich :)

Bryce.

it can exports 96bit HDRI

If you have some photo editing software capable of working in 32bit mode and HDRI export,. like Photoshop,..
    then you can make your own.

Carrara can also be used to create images to use as HDR for scene background, reflection and lighting,.

Note: Carrara can use Colour values, Colour gradients,. any Images, and HDR images in the background channel,. and all of them will be used as the light source, and provide scene reflections,.. as long as the Sky Light option is enabled in the renderer settings.

quick rough example :
    this is a Daz3D car (prince) in a scene with a plane with a "shadow catcher" shader.

The background is a 360 spherical environment render of a scene I made in Carrara, converted to HDRI in Photoshop.

Although there's also the default "Distant" light (set to around 30 - 40),..to add direct lighting for better specular highlights, and to provide the direct shadowing.
    Most of the lighting and all of the reflections, come from the Background image.

acr2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 89K
    acr3.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 73K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

nice work as usual andy, thanks for the HDRi heads up in photoshop,

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Are you looking for scenes or lighting?

I really need to post some of my HDRI lighting on carraracafe. I designed them to have HDRI light with out actually having a scene. Basically for character lighting.

"If you have some photo editing software capable of working in 32bit mode and HDRI export,. like Photoshop,..
    then you can make your own.: 3dage

see below ;)

Post edited by ManStan on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Thanks Andrew :)

The scene started out as an experiment with the new multilayer shader in 8.5,. I was trying to make a procedural concrete shader , then I realised I'd need some walls n' stuff. and now I just keep adding things to it..

I think Mr Brennan, over at carrara dark arts,. did a tutorial on using Carrara and photoshop to make HDRI's

you use exposure to create plus and minus exposures, then it's File / Automate / Merge to HDRI
    then set the options and Photoshop makes the 32bit hdri.
    save,. and load into Carrara.

You can also simply change the image mode in Photoshop to 32bit, and save it as an HDRI, although it doesn't have as much of the full range of light information,. it'll work pretty well.

:)

warehouse_cam1.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 339K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

3dage

you use exposure to create plus and minus exposures, then it’s File / Automate / Merge to HDRI
    then set the options and Photoshop makes the 32bit hdri.
    save,. and load into Carrara.

thanks for the details, weird thing is a think Elements has it as well and I never noticed!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

They're not HDRIs but I do have some large spherical images at my ShareCG account:
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=evilproducer

This sample video uses my night-time Spherical City with clouds as a scene background.
    http://youtu.be/QN6E8ji3oHA

The following images use my daytime Spherical City as Image based lighting using the Skylight in the render room. I did use a distant light for specular effects.

Vanguard-on-landing-pad.jpg
    2000 x 1465 - 570K
    Challenger-copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

I've used Dystopia City Blocks http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Dystopia+City+Blocks to make HDRIs too. But I've retextured mine :P lol

Post edited by ManStan on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Thanks Andrew :)
    I think Mr Brennan, over at carrara dark arts,. did a tutorial on using Carrara and photoshop to make HDRI's
    If you've purchased the Advanced Techniques in Carrara, instructed by our own PhilW, you likely learned it from him - for he teaches it just like you say, and offers his work as a great set of reference materials - or you can even use them in your own scenes.
    I swear, with all of the hand-made-in-Carrara content he provides in the working files folder, that set is a real steal of a deal!