Time for sharing, what I have no idea!

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well what a great start to the new year. My computer decided to finally die, well the motherboard. Have no money to fix it or the replace it completely so I won't be around much for the next 4 months or so. So glad I had everything backed up on two portable hard drives.

This pushes my latest project back even further now. But at least when I get back to it I will be able to use DS4.5 and start to really enjoy playing with Shader Mixer surfaces, lights and cameras more. Things that I could never use properly with the old computer. So head down and save like mad for the next 3 and a half months. I just hope Win 7 is still avalable then...don't like the looks of WIn 8.

But no 3D at all, no access to any software, two days in and I am getting withdrawls already. Oh well a least my wife will be pleased...no not with sending time with her...it's just I will get a number of jobs done. :)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

I'm so sorry to hear this I know how it feels, I was lucky my brother lent me the money to fix mine (well actually all that was not replaced was the case).

edited January 2013

Thanks scorpio64dragon

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Well my first render in months.

DS3A rendered in layers due to the old machine I have borrowed. This was originally done for the Stonemason Contest but after thinking long and hard and feedback from others I came to the conclusion is wasn't good enough to enter. One comment I got was "not your usual standard".

I do have two more image in the works and one is rendering now. I will render the other tonight as it will take many hours.

Customs2.jpg
    1560 x 903 - 1M
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm loving this. Also loving that your rendering even if you Borrowed to do it. That said I'll say this too. LOVE the Moonbase Eagles in the render. I should install them myeslf.

edited December 1969

Thanks dude. How is thee today Jaderail?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Thanks dude. How is thee today Jaderail?
    I is good. And also working on the SM contest. Luck to you But I plan to win. Just letting you know.
    edited December 1969

Thanks for letting me know but I am afraid I will have to disappoint you. :)

Good to hear all is well still. I hope it continues Jaderail.

• fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited February 2013

wrong thread O.o

Post edited by fayrie on
    edited December 1969

Nice image fayrie LOL

edited March 2013

Well a stroke of luck floated my way in the weekend. Sent the old P3 machine I was borrowing off a friend of a friend and now I am borrowing a Dual Core 2 GB of Ram and Ethernet and DS4.5.1.56 works. So hopefully I can limp my way to a new computer. Yay.

So to test things I made a quickie in Vue 10 Esprit. I only spent one day making this, posted it on DA yesterday and then last night I rerendered after applying some Transparency effects on the leaves, tweaked the GI Gain, Sky light Gain and set the light quality to .60. I did try 2.00 but this poor thing struggled. Still a little grainy in the sky and clouds but I can live with that..

IslandB_copy1_copy.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Szark on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Here is what I have been working on for a while now and I have a long way to go until it is finished. I want to render this really big so I can print it off and hang it on the wall.

Rendered in DS3A as 4.5 would crash with all that in one scene. Plus a lot of postwork to add the atmosphere and sun/rays.

I had to make some new signs in blender too, that was fun to do and yes I have been told about the spelling mistake. :)

Whoah! This is awesome!

edited December 1969

Thank you. Can't wait until it is finsihed, printed and hanging on the wall.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

This is one of my favorites also :)

edited March 2013

Thanks Gedd, mine too.

Post edited by Szark on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Thank you. Can't wait until it is finsihed, printed and hanging on the wall.

Speaking of printing....What is the best printing for 3D art? Do you just go to Kinko's and do color laser?

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Sorry but that will be my first print so I still have to investigate my options in the UK.

edited December 1969

My latest batch of renders.

Plight of the Kakapo made in DS3A and a little postwork in Photoshop. This was made for Ken Gilliland's annual bird rendering contest http://www.empken.com/SongbirdReMix/Contest/2013.htm

The next two were made for the Stonemason contest here on the forums. Both made with DS3A and Photoshop for a little polishing. ;)

If you have any questions just shout and I will try my best to answer them.

ROPFinalS.jpg
    1500 x 884 - 956K
    Occelots_Final.jpg
    1100 x 1536 - 1009K
    Kakapoo_Framed_FinalSmall.jpg
    1500 x 933 - 628K
    edited December 1969

Lux render using Luxus. not postwrk and not really what I wanted but it will do until I can learn more about LuxRender but to be honest I like the Octane DS4.5 plug-in better, or I should say I like the look of it better than Lux Render.

Now for the sharing bit. :)

Cube with Lux Volume added, set the Daz Studio surface to 10% Opacity, can be lower or higher, LuxRender surface to Opacity 0.10, Camera just outside the cube . Also I found the cube should just touch the outside of the window glass to avoid some nasty glow effects that I was getting on the outside of the glass. As soon as I changed the position of the cube the issue went way.

Volume Settings
    LuxRender Volume Type - Homogenous
    Luxrender Volume – Absorption Colour -164,164,164
    Luxrender Volume – Absorption Scale - 0.030
    Luxrender Volume – Scattering Colour - 227,227,227
    Luxrender Volume – Scattering Scale – 0.090
    Luxrender Volume – Scattering AsymmetryR – 0.030
    Luxrender Volume – Scattering AsymmetryG – 0.030
    Luxrender Volume – Scattering AsymmetryB – 0.030

Sun/Sky and two plane mesh lights for fill.

Applied a little bloom and glare in the Luxrender UI

Mask_copy.jpg
    565 x 800 - 337K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

They're all beautiful Pete- I don't know which is my favorite. The third one has such deep, rich colors, that make the sparkling lights so much more dramatic- very nice touch! :) But of course I like the cat too- looks so pleased with himself!
    Cathie

edited December 1969

Thank you Cathie

edited December 1969

I just added a new link to the first page called 3d Step By Step: which so far has 3 youtube vids done by Novica for newcomers to Daz Studio. Persoanlly I think they are well done and go slow enough for anyone to keep in step.

edited May 2013

For that gorgeous Kakapo render, do you remember where the lights were for that outstretched wing? Did you do anything with the transparency of it? Looks so real! I can't tell if you have light in front and in back of it? And you have the perfect log. Was that Enchanted Forest with extra enchanted? (Lol) I don't remember the logs having that much moss. Did you multiply it?

EDIT- looking at it again, the wing light was from the right side I think? But still curious as to how many used.
    Cathie

Post edited by Novica on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I saw your amazing work on Ken's annual contest page (congratulations, by the way!). Your renders are inspiring and I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

edited December 1969

Thank You Jindi.

Novica...that is a good question I will have to go and dig out the scene file and take a look and get back to you.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    For that gorgeous Kakapo render, do you remember where the lights were for that outstretched wing? Did you do anything with the transparency of it? Looks so real! I can't tell if you have light in front and in back of it? And you have the perfect log. Was that Enchanted Forest with extra enchanted? (Lol) I don't remember the logs having that much moss. Did you multiply it?

EDIT- looking at it again, the wing light was from the right side I think? But still curious as to how many used.
    Cathie

Ok had a look at the light set up and refreshed my memory.

1:Distant Key light coming from our right at a fairly high angle
    5: Distant lights as fill. (4) Front and back left and right and (1) below the camera facing upward .

And there is no Uber Environment and the Key was set to Ray Traced Shadows, Bias 0.10 and Softness 2%. All the other lights use Deep Shadow Mapped shadows set to 25% softness.

Hope that helps

edited June 2013

I had this idea but wanted to do it realistically but I didn't have enough RAM to see my vision through so this gave me an oppotunity to try something I have never tried before. yes I do postwork but never to this extent. This is so different from the rendered images that came out of Vue.

PortalFinal3Big.jpg
    1500 x 665 - 500K
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Is that the Legend of Zelda gateway? That was my son's first thought- added by "cool!"
    I say cool too, but not because I know Zelda!
    Love the dainty fraility of the bird, but it has spirit- and the openess of the scene- fly free!
    Cool spirals of light, I'm jealous.

edited December 1969

Who is Zelda I don't think I have even had the pleasure of meeting her. LOL Seriously I don't play computer games unless they start with Myst. ;)

Thanks Novica. The Spirals are just Ron's Digital Brushes at work.

edited December 1969

Here are my latest work using Genesis and many moprhs sets and adjustements using DS4.6. Uber Surface on all of the figure's surfaces. I was surprised that I could get a render out on this machine in DS4.6 but I just managed it. After the renders finished it wouldn't let me save without crashing but that wasn't a problem as I normally save, exit and reload to render a final anyway.

The spines/spikes we done with Garibaldi Hair plug-in at the max base thickness of 0.200, the tip at 0.002. I found that part to be loads of fun once you get used to how the controls work. Only took me a couple of days to figure it out.

Took advantage of the new Gamma Correction in DS4.6 and set gamma to 2.20, had to drop all the lights down more when I did that. Even though many of the Uber Surfaces diffuse strength channel was set to 70%. I think it brings the colour out more well IMHO but I haven't done a side by side comparison yet. Hummm

monsterfinalBest_copy3.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 475K
    BrainKneel1.jpg
    737 x 1030 - 499K
    Brain1.jpg
    898 x 1250 - 800K