Luxus discussion

Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Please, I was rude and apologized, lets not dig things back up. Forward!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

sorry for being rude.

No worries I will prolly score it st some point since it seems to handle some stuff Reality does not. Its just that I have been using it for just over a year so I am used to material adjustments and results. My experience would prolly reduce the learning curve of this plug in. For the most part I just reduce glossiness and turn clothing to Matte and like using some of the Lux shaders specially glass & metals...

• kinglordkinglord Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yes, SPPM requires the 'sppm' surface integrator...that should be one of the options listed in the Surface Integrators drop down. So will it be added in the update to fix the tiling? I use SPPM a lot...

Of course, if you don't want to wait for Luxus to be updated, it will be, you can simply copy and paste the following line to the Extra Settings parameters in the render settings:

SurfaceIntegrator "sppm"

mjc1016, did this workaround work for you ?

I can confirm this works! I just did a copy and paste into the extra settings and left the Surface Renderer below on bidirectional (guessing it ignores this setting when you manually have one above so probably doesn't matter what you select). This gave a nice test render after 4 passes or so which is what I was after. Of course it will be awesome to be able to have settings to tweak for it as well but this is a quick way to at least let you do sppm renders!

edited December 1969

kinglord said:

mjc1016 said:

Yes, SPPM requires the 'sppm' surface integrator...that should be one of the options listed in the Surface Integrators drop down. So will it be added in the update to fix the tiling? I use SPPM a lot...

Of course, if you don't want to wait for Luxus to be updated, it will be, you can simply copy and paste the following line to the Extra Settings parameters in the render settings:

SurfaceIntegrator "sppm"

mjc1016, did this workaround work for you ?

I can confirm this works! I just did a copy and paste into the extra settings and left the Surface Renderer below on bidirectional (guessing it ignores this setting when you manually have one above so probably doesn't matter what you select). This gave a nice test render after 4 passes or so which is what I was after. Of course it will be awesome to be able to have settings to tweak for it as well but this is a quick way to at least let you do sppm renders!

Glad to hear it. The idea of the extra settings was to allow override of existing settings, especially for the purpose when LuxRender adds some cool new feature, you don't have to wait for Luxus to be updated.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Well, I plunged in and got it... and I'm actually pleasantly surprised. It is a LOT simpler to get the hang of than Reality. I need time to mess around with it to get the top notch renders I want, but likely MUCH less time than it would take to master Reality. I think its totally worth it and a lot easier to use.

I wish I and my son werent' so sick right now.... wondering if we got the severe influenza wiping everyone out where I live.... imagine the worst sinus infection plus fever plus throwing up all at the same time.... My household is a lot of YUCK right now. :( Not going to have a render for a few days I think....

BUT from the little I got to play with it (and hurray for spot render!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooo!!!!) this is a total improvement and must have !!!

edited December 1969

3dtoday said:
    I asked earlier, but think it got buried.

So, I'll ask again please. Has anybody worked with the Hybrid settings? If so, any comparison of render times Regular lux vs. Hybrid? Finallyl, anyone tried an animation test?

thanks

I am biased, but for me the Hybrid render is severely limited because you can't adjust the light groups after the fact.

Image sequence works, but not with the LuxRender GUI. Avi render will be fixed soon.

I did some test renders today with several options using a couple different configurations. I think the real answer here will depend on your hardware setup, but in general I don't think the added speed is really worth it, but YMMV. In terms of raw numbers I saw around a 50% improvement in samples per pixel after the same time had elapsed, this will vary greatly depending on your video card setup.

What killed it for me - someone please correct me if I have this wrong - is that you can only render out one light at a time using hybrid mode. Any scene with more than 1 light won't render, or at least wouldn't render for me. It just sat on a black screen and never actually produced an image.

There's probably some fancy tricks to compute multiple lights into one or something for faster GPU assisted renders but....not really worth it to me and with my current rig.

edited March 2013

kinglord said:
    3dtoday said:
    I asked earlier, but think it got buried.

So, I'll ask again please. Has anybody worked with the Hybrid settings? If so, any comparison of render times Regular lux vs. Hybrid? Finallyl, anyone tried an animation test?

thanks

I am biased, but for me the Hybrid render is severely limited because you can't adjust the light groups after the fact.

Image sequence works, but not with the LuxRender GUI. Avi render will be fixed soon.

I did some test renders today with several options using a couple different configurations. I think the real answer here will depend on your hardware setup, but in general I don't think the added speed is really worth it, but YMMV. In terms of raw numbers I saw around a 50% improvement in samples per pixel after the same time had elapsed, this will vary greatly depending on your video card setup.

What killed it for me - someone please correct me if I have this wrong - is that you can only render out one light at a time using hybrid mode. Any scene with more than 1 light won't render, or at least wouldn't render for me. It just sat on a black screen and never actually produced an image.

There's probably some fancy tricks to compute multiple lights into one or something for faster GPU assisted renders but....not really worth it to me and with my current rig.

You only get one light group. I will change it so that if you do use hybrid it makes all the light groups the same name(you could label all your lights the same name in the Scene tab). Of course it is still a big limitation of the hybrid renderer having only one light group.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited March 2013

I have an i7 8G machine with 2 G vid card and GPU render crashes on my not tried it with the newest Lux 2.1 mind you. Does luxus support
    SLG rendering? Not that I use it much...

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    I have an i7 8G machine with 2 G vid card and GPU render crashes on my not tried it with the newest Lux 2.1 mind you. Does luxus support

I have never used it myself. Not having multiple light groups detoured me. I will research what it would take.

edited December 1969

I think it would be more of an added feature for those who will most likely own both plug ins at some point would still have the option. I can say that Lux has improved leaps and bounds since version 0.9 last year. I am sure your plug in will as well...

edited March 2013

Bobvan said:

I have never used it myself. Not having multiple light groups detoured me. I will research what it would take.

SLG interests me a lot more than the normal hybrid mode, especially with SLG4. I did read today that SLG will be a supported rendering mode built in to LuxRender 1.3. I'm half tempted to grab the weekly build and see if I can't get something to fire off using the Extra Settings option. ;)

Thanks for the clarification on lights as well, it makes much more sense to me now that you can have one light group versus one light.

Post edited by kinglord on
    edited March 2013

As we were "chatting" I just cranked this out in less then 2 hours. Its render 444 of my current story. I know its done with another plugin. Point being that once one knows how to work with Lux settings render times area really not that bad in some cases faster then 3Delight...

444.png
    1500 x 798 - 1M
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited March 2013

Implementing direct output for SLG at this point would be stupid; even the Lux devs have said as much. The intended avenue is now to use LuxRender with the "slg" renderer option, which will use SLG to do the render but still accept "big Lux" scene syntax, or to run LuxVR which will run LuxRender with the 'filesaver' renderer to export the raw SLG scene config for you and then launch SLG stand-alone on it. This will all be part of Lux 1.3. So don't waste any time developing an explicit SLG exporter. Folks that want to experiment with "FrankenLux" can do so already with the currently weekly builds available from the LuxRender forums.

As to materials with dual level specular, I'd think wrapping a glossy material with a glossycoating material would be more akin to what you want than glossytranslucent with an interior volume.

Post edited by cwichura on
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Implementing direct output for SLG at this point would be stupid; even the Lux devs have said as much. The intended avenue is now to use LuxRender with the "slg" renderer option, which will use SLG to do the render but still accept "big Lux" scene syntax, or to run LuxVR which will run LuxRender with the 'filesaver' renderer to export the raw SLG scene config for you and then launch SLG stand-alone on it. This will all be part of Lux 1.3. So don't waste any time developing an explicit SLG exporter. Folks that want to experiment with "FrankenLux" can do so already with the currently weekly builds available from the LuxRender forums.

As to materials with dual level specular, I'd think wrapping a glossy material with a glossycoating material would be more akin to what you want than glossytranslucent with an interior volume.

Thanks for the tip on SLG. Love those LuxRender devs.

For doing a mix or layered material, you will need to do it in the Extra Settings Parameter or try out the WIP Eluxir
    -> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18555/

• 3dtoday3dtoday Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Okay, this I dont follow. I'm just trying to compare render times with 1 regular lux, 2 vs hybrid, 3 vs SLG..

I've never tried the hybrid. Regular is painfully slow. { yes I have a fast nvidia card} SLG in reality showed a lot of promise, but I think the reality man said it would be updated in 1.3 lux.

I'm not a huge fan of the Reality interface, but that's just me. Maybe I just need to work with it more. Others seem happy with it.

Image sequence works, but not with the LuxRender GUI. Avi render will be fixed soon

would love if theres options to do image sequence renders, with speed choices. I know the SLG people posted on a blender
    forum - and the upcoming improvements looked great. I know it perhaps doesnt have full lux tweaks, but speed is MUCH more
    important in these cases.

ps is there a shadow catcher mode?

Post edited by 3dtoday on
    edited December 1969

Ok. I just fell out of my chair. I loaded up the included Luxus test scene and downloaded the latest weekly LuxRender 1.3 build. I tossed the following into Extra Settings:

Renderer = "slg"

And set the Surface Integrator to "path" as recommended by the lux devs. 60 seconds later I had a 4.51k samples per pixel image. Now I know how simple the test scene is, but, wow.

Please note I did this just as a test as the SLG renderer at the moment lacks a LOT of features of the other render options in terms of material support, etc. What this does mean, just as Spheric stated, those Extra Settings will let us take advantage of new features the second they hit the ground. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

3dtoday said:

Okay, this I dont follow. I'm just trying to compare render times with 1 regular lux, 2 vs hybrid, 3 vs SLG..

I've never tried the hybrid. Regular is painfully slow. { yes I have a fast nvidia card} SLG in reality showed a lot of promise, but I think the reality man said it would be updated in 1.3 lux.

I'm not a huge fan of the Reality interface, but that's just me. Maybe I just need to work with it more. Others seem happy with it.

Image sequence works, but not with the LuxRender GUI. Avi render will be fixed soon

would love if theres options to do image sequence renders, with speed choices. I know the SLG people posted on a blender
    forum - and the upcoming improvements looked great. I know it perhaps doesnt have full lux tweaks, but speed is MUCH more

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post 3dT, but the hybrid settings will be faster (they were faster for me) but how much depends on your card. The newest NVIDIA cards are actually slower for this sort of thing than the older ones (FERMI core are good, KEPLER cores are NOT). If you want me to render out a particular test scene for you with specific numbers I'm happy to help if you shoot me a PM.

edited March 2013

kinglord said:
    3dtoday said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post 3dT, but the hybrid settings will be faster (they were faster for me) but how much depends on your card. The newest NVIDIA cards are actually slower for this sort of thing than the older ones (FERMI core are good, KEPLER cores are NOT). If you want me to render out a particular test scene for you with specific numbers I'm happy to help if you shoot me a PM.

thanks, would love test numbers. Sorry, I forgot to reply to your hybrid post { this thread is moving so darn fast!} Thanks --
    great to hear there is a speed boost.

Yeah, I know the 500 series is preferred. I had a gtx 670, 4gb but returned it. The Octane people now say { I think ] that the
    6xx is just as good for octane. Do the lux people still go by 5xx?

So I'm not sure what to buy now.?!

You say SLG looks hot? If SphericLabs confirms he will add SLG, { or its guaranteed in the base lux package ? }I'll buy this right now. { sorry to be so picky, but I just don't need more plugins that I never use! }

thanks

ps - is there a shadow catcher option? an alpha channel option?

edited December 1969

Ok, here are some numbers. YMMV on all of these, for computer spec comparisons I'm running an i7 3700K with 670s in SLI.

I created a very basic scene using the Luxus example prop, a Luxus area and sky light and a random base I had so there was something for light to bounce around on.

Renders were done using BiDir:

Sample
    @30s - 36 s/p

Hybrid
    @30s - 52 s/p

SLG (Using LuxRender 1.3 Weekly Dev build)
    @30s - 130 s/p

Now full disclosure, more is going on there with the SLG render as it doesn't support all materials and the render looked totally different (essentially it was an easier render). Now to be super fair, SLG isn't designed for BiDir, and I ran the same scene using Path and it came out at 604 s/p @30s.

• xjadexxxxjadexxx Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

As a Reality user, I was pleasantly pleased with Luxus. I chose to toy around with lighting and meshes first, and Luxus produced something entirely different from Reality. LuxRender is LuxRender, so if the paths to get to it input the same parameters, the same output will be achieved. However, Luxus offered me more options in a more accessible way out the gate with just mesh lights, and now I am all eager to see "what does this setting do?"

If LuxRender is your goal, you can certainly get by with Luxus or Reality. If having a broader palette of rendering options is your goal, Luxus offers enough variance from Reality in workflow and options to make it a good purchase even if you already have Reality. For those with neither, Luxus integrates everything into DS4, whereas Reality integrates everything into the render, so Luxus may offer a shorter learning curve. If you are the type that likes to learn by spinning dials, definitely Luxus :D

For Reality users, Luxus had a slightly longer pre-render setup period with each render I did with an existing scene that I previously rendered in Reality. Also, where a Reality render is like sprinkling sand into the whole image as it gets clearer and clearer, Luxus is the same but it works in small segments at a time. With Reality, this means that if you stop a render early, the whole image has about the same quality. With Luxus, if you stop it early, you will have a small rectangle with higher quality than the rest of the image.

Question: Is there a way to get Luxus to render as Reality does, instead of in sub-sections, or to control the size of the render segments? I looked through the forums and the documentation, and I did not find anything on this. I would like to set it up Luxus so it renders the full image with even quality, instead of in sub-sections. Any guidance is appreciated.

edited March 2013

Quick tip for all Luxus users out there trying to eek out every little speed boost on your renders. Thanks to the Extra Settings field Luxus can utilize the various Accelerators built into LuxRender. You can make use of these by adding them to the Extra Settings option like so:

Accelerator "qbvh"
    or
    Accelerator "sqbvh"
    or
    Accelerator "tabreckdtree"

Be sure to only use one at a time. :P Depending on the complexity of your scene you might see significant improvements, or just a small %, but every render should benefit some from these. In terms of "which is best" again it depends a bit, but usually if you have no limits on memory sqbvh is the way to go. If you want to be safe qbvh is more the "standard."

edited December 1969

xjadexxx said:
    As a Reality user, I was pleasantly pleased with Luxus. I chose to toy around with lighting and meshes first, and Luxus produced something entirely different from Reality. LuxRender is LuxRender, so if the paths to get to it input the same parameters, the same output will be achieved. However, Luxus offered me more options in a more accessible way out the gate with just mesh lights, and now I am all eager to see "what does this setting do?"

If LuxRender is your goal, you can certainly get by with Luxus or Reality. If having a broader palette of rendering options is your goal, Luxus offers enough variance from Reality in workflow and options to make it a good purchase even if you already have Reality. For those with neither, Luxus integrates everything into DS4, whereas Reality integrates everything into the render, so Luxus may offer a shorter learning curve. If you are the type that likes to learn by spinning dials, definitely Luxus :D

For Reality users, Luxus had a slightly longer pre-render setup period with each render I did with an existing scene that I previously rendered in Reality. Also, where a Reality render is like sprinkling sand into the whole image as it gets clearer and clearer, Luxus is the same but it works in small segments at a time. With Reality, this means that if you stop a render early, the whole image has about the same quality. With Luxus, if you stop it early, you will have a small rectangle with higher quality than the rest of the image.

Question: Is there a way to get Luxus to render as Reality does, instead of in sub-sections, or to control the size of the render segments? I looked through the forums and the documentation, and I did not find anything on this. I would like to set it up Luxus so it renders the full image with even quality, instead of in sub-sections. Any guidance is appreciated.

Both programs are using the same renderer, so my guess is that the difference is coming in the Sampler that you've selected with Luxus. If you post your settings here it would be easier to figure that out, but off the cuff Luxus defaults to Sampler:Random, so the first thing I would try is to set that instead to metropolis and see if that gives you a result more like what you're expecting.

edited March 2013

kinglord said:
    Ok, here are some numbers. YMMV on all of these, for computer spec comparisons I'm running an i7 3700K with 670s in SLI.

I created a very basic scene using the Luxus example prop, a Luxus area and sky light and a random base I had so there was something for light to bounce around on.

Sample
    @30s - 36 s/p

Hybrid
    @30s - 52 s/p

@30s - 130 s/p

Now full disclosure, more is going on there with the SLG render as it doesn't support all materials and the render looked totally different (essentially it was an easier render). Now to be super fair, SLG isn't designed for BiDir, and I ran the same scene using Path and it came out at 604 s/p @30s.

kinglord thanks man!

But I'm an artist not a tech head. Probably others too are scratching there heads right about now.

What does @30s mean?

what does - s/p mean?

ditto: BiDir / Path

And can you draw any layman's conclusions from these numbers?

thanks

edited December 1969

Does anyone have an animation they can post?

thanks in advance

• xjadexxxxjadexxx Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

kinglord said:
    xjadexxx said:

Both programs are using the same renderer, so my guess is that the difference is coming in the Sampler that you've selected with Luxus. If you post your settings here it would be easier to figure that out, but off the cuff Luxus defaults to Sampler:Random, so the first thing I would try is to set that instead to metropolis and see if that gives you a result more like what you're expecting.

I went to the LuxRender site and did some reading, and switched to the Metropolis sampler, from the Random sampler, and that did it. It seems Random is that sampler used for testing, and is not recommended for "real" renders. I came back here to post the answer, and there your recommendation was. Thank you!

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

xjadexxx said:
    kinglord said:
    xjadexxx said:

I went to the LuxRender site and did some reading, and switched to the Metropolis sampler, from the Random sampler, and that did it. It seems Random is that sampler used for testing, and is not recommended for "real" renders. I came back here to post the answer, and there your recommendation was. Thank you!

Thank you! That is a very good information. :-)

edited March 2013

3dtoday said:
    kinglord said:

Sample
    @30s - 36 s/p

Hybrid
    @30s - 52 s/p

@30s - 130 s/p

kinglord thanks man!

But I'm an artist not a tech head. Probably others too are scratching there heads right about now.

What does @30s mean?

what does - s/p mean?

ditto: BiDir / Path

And can you draw any layman's conclusions from these numbers?

thanks

Yeah sorry, had my head in render docs all day.

Laymen conclusion (TL;DR):

Hybrid mode is faster than Sample mode, the better your video card the more speed you get. LuxRender isn't like 3Delight so a render is never "done," you just stop it whenever the quality is at a point you are happy with - hybrid will get you to that higher quality faster. You loose some options running hybrid, so if it's worth the increase to you or not depends on what you're rendering and how much you want to tweak.

SLG will work with Luxus as soon as LuxRender 1.3 is released. Render speeds with it using a decent video card are crazy fast, but SLG lacks a lot of material and lighting support at the moment so it's effectively great for quick test renders but probably not what you'll want to use for a final.

@30s was shorthand for at 30 seconds. Basically I let the render run for 30 seconds and jotted down what the numbers were. You can see given the numbers I posted that with that particular scene Hybrid was giving around a 40% increase in speed which seemed consistent in the short tests I ran (3 minutes) but I don't know how this holds up on longer renders (hours) or with very complex scenes.

s/p is shorthand for Samples per Pixel. It's basically a determination of quality for a render. The more samples per pixel the more detailed, accurate, etc. the render will be. The higher the number here the better! As I said before a render with Lux is only done when you say so, but if you find a quality you're happy with (say 1.5K s/p) then you can set it to always stop at that number.

BiDir and Path are different rendering options in Luxus that determine how it renders light on the materials. Without going techy BiDir is pretty much the standard clean high quality renders, but it's certainly not the fastest. Path is generally faster but more prone to artifacts and noise. Essentially BiDir is good for quality renders while Path is better for short test renders. SLG cheats on this a bit though, because it can render Path so quickly (achieve very high s/p in short times - kind of using quantity over quality to some extent).

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

I have to say straight out of the box render it comes up good no displacement problems for the price you can't go wrong !

d28.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 389K
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind that Hybrid BiDir is broken. It's "experimental" at best. Even the Lux devs will tell you this. If you want to use Hybrid mode, always select Path. Hybrid Path in 1.2 finally supports almost everything CPU mode does, with a few exceptions like (nested) instances. I still see differences in the quality of renders between Path and Hybrid Path, though, with CPU-mode being more accurate. To get the most performance out of the Hybrid modes, you really have to tweak a few of the settings like raybuffersize and statebuffercount as these are highly dependent on your specific CPU and GPU combination.

SLG is a totally different rendering engine, with different material handling and it's non-spectral and there are quite a few things it doesn't support at all. Results with SLG will ALWAYS be different from "Big Lux". Depending on the scene you are constructing, this may or may not be a big deal. But with Lux 1.3, it's easy to see how your scene would look after conversion to SLG, since LuxRender can convert it for you itself.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Render from last night finished.... stopped it at 2000 S/p.

Wagner01B.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 310K
This discussion has been closed.