Luxus discussion

Comments

• ThespiSisThespiSis Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

Two things. Does this support HDRI? And can you do materials with dual specular properties?

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    I read somewhere that there are tiling issues? I will prolly wait till it's resolved. Im one of those who simply wanto to use the plug in. I dont know how and dont want to have to bother editing the xls files manually....

Ditto. It doesn't read tiled shaders at all yet - apparently an oversight. I'm not so keen on using a plugin for a plugin to fix it, particularly as Shader Mixer doesn't give a preview until render. Most prop sets use tiled shaders and many of us use them for clothing etc as well. It does a lovely job reading the displacement and spec maps in shaders and will be awesome once this is fixed. I bought this and am very glad I did. But I won't be using it until the tiling issue is resolved.

I really think this issue calls for an immediate update as it is an oversight and apparently doesn't require further development to fix.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Bobvan said:
    I read somewhere that there are tiling issues? I will prolly wait till it's resolved. Im one of those who simply wanto to use the plug in. I dont know how and dont want to have to bother editing the xls files manually....

Ditto. It doesn't read tiled shaders at all yet - apparently an oversight. I'm not so keen on using a plugin for a plugin to fix it, particularly as Shader Mixer doesn't give a preview until render. Most prop sets use tiled shaders and many of us use them for clothing etc as well. It does a lovely job reading the displacement and spec maps in shaders and will be awesome once this is fixed. I bought this and am very glad I did. But I won't be using it until the tiling issue is resolved.

I really think this issue calls for an immediate update as it is an oversight and apparently doesn't require further development to fix.
    It's already resolved. It takes a while to get things to users.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Bobvan said:

I saw the creator of the Luxus words in this or another thread that it will be looked into as soon as possible. So hopefully you won't wait long.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

Even Paolo can sometimes take a bit of time to update. I am sticking with Reality for the time being I know the way it works and expected results perhaps when this matures a bit more... Its a great alternative to those who are new to DS Lux or cannot afford Reality. I love the Luxrender

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

ThespiSis said:
    Two things. Does this support HDRI? And can you do materials with dual specular properties?

From the manual:
    ---------------------------------------------
    What about HDRI lights?

Yes they work. This would mean an infinite light in LuxRender with an High Dynamic Range Image(HDRI) as the map. Create one as follows:
    1. Create a light in Studio(type does not matter)
    2. Select the light
    3. Parameters Pane → Options Menu → “Luxus – LuxRender Light”
    4. Find the LuxRender Light parameters for the light in the Parameters Pane.
    5. Change the Environment Map to an image of your choosing. Any image can be used, but an HDRI image intended for lighting will give the best visual results. HDRI images commonly have the extension hdr or exr. As a common usage error: Many HDRI files have a jpeg version right next to them and the jpeg version will work, but the quality will be noticeably lower than the HDRI image.
    ----------------------------------------------

By dual specular, do you mean like a ubersurface or more like the carpaint in LuxRender that has 3 specular channels?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yes, SPPM requires the 'sppm' surface integrator...that should be one of the options listed in the Surface Integrators drop down. So will it be added in the update to fix the tiling? I use SPPM a lot...

Of course, if you don't want to wait for Luxus to be updated, it will be, you can simply copy and paste the following line to the Extra Settings parameters in the render settings:

SurfaceIntegrator "sppm"

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

ThespiSis said:

Yes, Luxrender supports image based lighting, using several formats for the images...

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Environment_map

So you should be able to use them with Luxus...

The dual specular is a maybe...SphericalLabs can probably answer that better...but as far as Lux goes, it's got layered materials that have differing specular responses for the differing layers.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials (look at things like the carpaint)

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Bobvan said:

It's already resolved. It takes a while to get things to users.

That's great news. Thank you.

edited December 1969

I meant like Ubersurface, but if Carpaint is what will give me the option of multiple specular channels, then I'll try that out.

edited March 2013
    Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

ThespiSis said:
    I meant like Ubersurface, but if Carpaint is what will give me the option of multiple specular channels, then I'll try that out.

What you probably want is a glossy_translucent with a volume option enabled.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    ThespiSis said:

Yes, Luxrender supports image based lighting, using several formats for the images...

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Environment_map

So you should be able to use them with Luxus...

The dual specular is a maybe...SphericalLabs can probably answer that better...but as far as Lux goes, it's got layered materials that have differing specular responses for the differing layers.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials (look at things like the carpaint)

I knew LuxRender supported HDRI, but I haven't had a chance to view the manual to see if Luxus would do it. Bouncing off of that, how hard would it be to get a product like Skies of Reality to work with that? Or would I have to apply those manually?

edited December 1969

ThespiSis said:

That's just one that does...

I know that there some available in Blender that do it too.

I'm guessing with the Eluxir that it would even be easier to create custom ones...

edited December 1969

ThespiSis said:

Glossy translucent? I'm thinking for a fabric, though (say, with sequins). I guess what I really need to do is just experiment--which I sadly won't have much time for until the weekend. Glab I grabbed it on sale, though.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Um, and what? I love Reality too, didn't prevent me from buying Luxus. Bobyan just doesn't want to manually edit anything or encounter a problem with tiling, and truth to say I'm not a bit fan of Lux materials manual editing as well.
  • 3dtoday3dtoday Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

I asked earlier, but think it got buried.

So, I'll ask again please. Has anybody worked with the Hybrid settings? If so, any comparison of render times Regular lux vs. Hybrid? Finally, anyone tried an animation test?

thanks

Post edited by 3dtoday on
    edited December 1969

ThespiSis said:

But the best place to read about the LuxRender materials available is on the LuxRender site
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials

edited March 2013

ThespiSis said:

Yeah, that's probably closer to the way US2 does it...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Ha! I love Reality too, but I also love having options. I don't paint with just one brush, so why would I limit myself to one rendering tool?

edited March 2013

3dtoday said:
    I asked earlier, but think it got buried.

So, I'll ask again please. Has anybody worked with the Hybrid settings? If so, any comparison of render times Regular lux vs. Hybrid? Finallyl, anyone tried an animation test?

thanks

I am biased, but for me the Hybrid render is severely limited because you can't adjust the light groups after the fact.

Image sequence works, but not with the LuxRender GUI. Avi render will be fixed soon.

edited March 2013

If you read correctly I said I love the Luxrender Im used to working with Reality. One thing I like is not getting anymore blotchy shadows like UE would give me at times. So if your plug in gives results like this I would not be happy....

d85.png
    715 x 903 - 971K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited March 2013

Bobvan said:
    If you read correctly I said I love the Luxrender Im used to working with Reality. One thing I like is not getting anymore blotchy shadows like UE would give me at times. So if your plug in gives results like this it would piss me off....

That image was done by someone experimenting with Luxus. Some of the surfaces are the automatic translation of Ubersurface to a glossy translucent with subsurface scattering, while other surfaces are manually setup.

the poster of that image did a great service to let everyone know that if you setup a bump map manually, to tone down the strength.

edited December 1969

Ok...

edited December 1969

sorry for being rude.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yes, SPPM requires the 'sppm' surface integrator...that should be one of the options listed in the Surface Integrators drop down. So will it be added in the update to fix the tiling? I use SPPM a lot...

Of course, if you don't want to wait for Luxus to be updated, it will be, you can simply copy and paste the following line to the Extra Settings parameters in the render settings:

SurfaceIntegrator "sppm"

mjc1016, did this workaround work for you ?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Ok this is a quickie I just threw together. Two area lights, positioned at angles behind and in front of the character. Texture uses HSS settings, only change to the materials was converting the cornea to glass. Hair needs to have materials assigned (I had converted it to a weightmapped figure) but I wasn't worried about that.

I have a beast 6-core computer, and I stopped this at about 168 S/p... (which was about 23 minutes.. I love my new machine).

No post work.

No fireflies like I got in the 2.0 version of reality.

Color me seriously impressed. You don't know how long it used to take me to set up materials in reality and jumping back and forth between the interface and my scene... Especially when I had to do promos for those reality lighting plugins.

The setup took me literally 10 minutes and most of it was figuring out I had the file location wrong, so it didn't kick out the render.

Great job!

Wagner01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 280K
    edited December 1969

Very cool render and very cool machine.

I am a fan of credit where credit is due, Luxus can't take credit for this. Very likely this is an improvement to LuxRender that would show up in both programs.
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Very cool render and very cool machine.

I am a fan of credit where credit is due, Luxus can't take credit for this. Very likely this is an improvement to LuxRender that would show up in both programs.

No, I'm going to give you the credit. This is due to your conversion of the materials. I have 2.5 as well, and I've had to spend a bit of time to tone down the spec on all my materials.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    If you read correctly I said I love the Luxrender Im used to working with Reality. One thing I like is not getting anymore blotchy shadows like UE would give me at times. So if your plug in gives results like this I would not be happy….

Yep! It is an unfair comment. The image was a WIP and should be understood as it is: a test render trying to figure out a specific problem.

This discussion has been closed.