Luxus discussion

Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Indigone said:
    Indigone said:
    Then I must be doing something wrong. I've got my viewport set up for Camera 1, and it's rendering my perspective view.

Edit: or maybe not, but it's not closeup.. let me play with the camera.

Its working for me, but I will see what I can figure out.

I had perspective off on the camera, no idea why. Turned it back on and it's rendering perfectly now. Thank you!! and thanks for making this product so more of us can use it!

Glad its working for you.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

If its the same as Reality if using M LIE textures once needs to use collect textures.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Boo your losing me all zhi know right now I can give each light their name in reality and they show up as such in the luxrender BTW this one is baking for just over an hour 2 mesh lights top and side

You can name lights differently and they show up as light groups. At the moment this does only work if the nodes are named differently (as the node name is used as light group name), but that will change to add the surface name - then you can have multiple light groups per node.

Luxus_Lights.jpg
    652 x 325 - 51K
    edited March 2013

Sounds like it more or less works the same will read the manual as I say as a Lux fan its good to have options..

If you guys are curious to see my many many Luxrenders http://bobvan.deviantart.com/

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

First of all, please forgive my ignorance and if the answers have already been given elsewhere. I am somewhat new to LuxRender not having fully explored Reality but.

1) Are the shaders we have collected useless or merely take a little tinkering in Lyux?
    2) What about texture, displacement, bump, and opacity maps?
    3) Do lights from, the Reality set work in the new Luxrender/Luxus system?

Thanks for your answers and assistance.

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

All I wish to know is...where's the manual or user guide for this plugin?

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited March 2013

RKane_1 said:
    First of all, please forgive my ignorance and if the answers have already been given elsewhere. I am somewhat new to LuxRender not having fully explored Reality but.

1) Are the shaders we have collected useless or merely take a little tinkering in Lyux?

I don't have Luxus, but I assume it's similar to Reality when answering your questions:

1) Custom shaders built on Shader Mixer or Shader Builder are pretty much out, since those rely on Renderman stuff that LuxRender doesn't support. Shaders that use one of the standard DAZ Shader types, though, and are built on things like tiled textures should be convertible.

2) LuxRender supports bump, normals and displacement. (ProTip: convert bump maps to normal maps for LuxRender -- they work much better.) Opactiy is done by mixing one material with the null material, which I'm assuming Luxus takes care of generating for you, just as Reality does.

3) What lights specifically do you mean? From what I've seen people posting, Luxus lets you convert any surface into an area light, just like Reality does. If you mean you have, say, a Reality MeshLight loaded and you want to render with Luxus instead of Reality, it should be possible to just have Luxus apply the area light stuff to the Reality MeshLight object and away you go.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

Thanks for your answers and assistance.

1. Yes/maybe...since Lux and 3Delight don't speak the same shader language, they (materials/shaders) aren't directly usable in the other. But this plugin will do most of the heavy lifting when converting them, same as Reality or the old LuxRenderDS plugin did.

2. See the second half of answer one...

3. Not sure...someone who has both will need to answer that.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    1) Custom shaders built on Shader Mixer or Shader Builder are pretty much out, since those rely on Renderman stuff that LuxRender doesn't support. Shaders that use one of the standard DAZ Shader types, though, and are built on things like tiled textures should be convertible.

The basic Lux materials cover a lot of those gaps and this like the others will allow you to access those materials. Plus there is a beta plugin for ShaderMixer to get even more fun stuff going...

• kinglordkinglord Posts: 19
    edited March 2013

Hello,

Purchased this today and been playing around quite a bit with it. I think it's a solid first iteration at ntegrating LuxRender into DS, but isn't exactly for the faint of heart. ;) (To be clear, the auto-conversion and push button render go a long way, but to get awesome looking renders you need to put in some time to learn how Lux behaves just like what works well and doesn't in 3Delight.)

I've learned a lot about Lux today coming at it as a total newb. I did have some questions around features that are either there and I'm missing (quite likely) or maybe have to be achieved outside of DS itself.

While playing and learning about all the render types, I see that sppm is listed as a renderer option, but I don't have sppm listed in my dropdown of surface integrators and therefore can't get it to work. I didn't see any sppm options under the surface integration options list either, so I'm thinking maybe this isn't supported yet?

I also wasn't able to find settings for rendering accelerator or SLG rendering anywhere?

Post edited by kinglord on
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    Bobvan said:
    Boo your losing me all zhi know right now I can give each light their name in reality and they show up as such in the luxrender BTW this one is baking for just over an hour 2 mesh lights top and side

You can name lights differently and they show up as light groups. At the moment this does only work if the nodes are named differently (as the node name is used as light group name), but that will change to add the surface name - then you can have multiple light groups per node.

And if you don't have the option to split the set up into parts? Then what?

By node I'm guessing you mean the Set or prop in question?

-Paul

edited December 1969

kinglord said:
    Hello,

Purchased this today and been playing around quite a bit with it. I think it's a solid first iteration at ntegrating LuxRender into DS, but isn't exactly for the faint of heart. ;) (To be clear, the auto-conversion and push button render go a long way, but to get awesome looking renders you need to put in some time to learn how Lux behaves just like what works well and doesn't in 3Delight.)

I've learned a lot about Lux today coming at it as a total newb. I did have some questions around features that are either there and I'm missing (quite likely) or maybe have to be achieved outside of DS itself.

While playing and learning about all the render types, I see that sppm is listed as a renderer option, but I don't have sppm listed in my dropdown of surface integrators and therefore can't get it to work. I didn't see any sppm options under the surface integration options list either, so I'm thinking maybe this isn't supported yet?

I also wasn't able to find settings for rendering accelerator or SLG rendering anywhere?

Perhaps I put the option in the wrong spot, see attached image?

Full disclosure, I have not tried the ssp option.

fss6.png
    698 x 1080 - 231K
    edited December 1969

I read somewhere that there are tiling issues? I will prolly wait till it's resolved. Im one of those who simply wanto to use the plug in. I dont know how and dont want to have to bother editing the xls files manually....

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited March 2013

Well, I need some help here. Just a starting point. If I render with the surfaces as they are set by the DS preset, the image renders very acceptable in my opinion. When I load the Lux Material with Copy Studio Parameters ticked and send the render to Lux I get some annoying dark areas. I played with every parameter in the Lux Material section and cannot rid this effect. What I am doing wrong?

Only the Torso surface was modified.

d69.png
    715 x 903 - 904K
    Screen_Shot_2013-03-11_at_21.15_.10_.jpg
    427 x 897 - 137K
    Post edited by MBusch on
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Well, I need some help here. Just a starting point. If I render with the surfaces as they are set by the DS preset, the image renders very acceptable in my opinion. When I load the Lux Material with Copy Studio Parameters ticked and send the render to Lux I get some annoying dark areas. I played with every parameter in the Lux Material section and cannot rid this effect. What I am doing wrong?

On geometry like a figure's skin surface, you would certainly want to do all the skin or none of the surfaces manually.

But that does not answer you question directly. Perhaps you could screenshot your LuxRender parameters?

edited December 1969

MBusch said:

On geometry like a figure's skin surface, you would certainly want to do all the skin or none of the surfaces manually.

But that does not answer you question directly. Perhaps you could screenshot your LuxRender parameters?

And you already did. Sorry. Let me do some research.

edited March 2013

MBusch said:

And you already did. Sorry. Let me do some research.

You probably want you URoughness and your VRoughness at around 0.8, your skin is so smooth, it is reflecting like a mirror.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:

Hum… It is there, but I am uploading again.

Screen_Shot_2013-03-11_at_21.15_.10_.jpg
    427 x 897 - 137K
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    MBusch said:

You probably want you URoughness and your VRoughness at around 0.8. Your skin is so smooth it is reflecting like a mirror.

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    I read somewhere that there are tiling issues? I will prolly wait till it's resolved. Im one of those who simply wanto to use the plug in. I dont know how and dont want to have to bother editing the xls files manually....
    Already resolved in the open beta for Eluxir (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18555/) or you can wait until the price goes up. :) He said he will be fixing it in Luxus as well.
  • edited December 1969

Spheric, I don't know if anybody's asked this, but is instancing supported? In other words, If I make 8 copies of a 100K polygon tree, will Luxus recognize that and export only a single geometry, or will it spit out 8 identical copies of the same tree?

And if instancing isn't supported, let me be the first to request it.

edited December 1969

Spheric, I don't know if anybody's asked this, but is instancing supported? In other words, If I make 8 copies of a 100K polygon tree, will Luxus recognize that and export only a single geometry, or will it spit out 8 identical copies of the same tree?

And if instancing isn't supported, let me be the first to request it.

Already supported.

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Already resolved in the open beta for Eluxir (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18555/) or you can wait until the price goes up. :) He said he will be fixing it in Luxus as well.

It dont matter that much since I have Reality I can always till it goes back on sale or better yet fastgrab..

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

maybe its my PC but it takes eons the luxrender console inside Studio, no render at this time, ironic that I've been a maxwellRender and Modo601 user and Reality 2.5 and can't just make a render inside daz with Luxus...I'm old [ taking a time reading the PDF instead]

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Oh, I've found it, my figure was in High Resolution Level 2, I must turn it off.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

I snapped it up (already having an unused LuxRender install helped me to it...) because Reality was always out of budget and Luxus promised to actively integrate into the Render Settings tab: that's why the free-DL LuxRender export plugin has not been touched. If I don't have to do any program-hopping, I don't plan to. Thanks for this!

edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    MBusch said:

You probably want you URoughness and your VRoughness at around 0.8. Your skin is so smooth it is reflecting like a mirror.

The roughness parameter does not solve the issue, but I removed the bump map and this worked. So I set the bum map again, but at a very lower value and the problem gone away. Much better now…

d85.png
    715 x 903 - 971K
    Screen_Shot_2013-03-11_at_23.16_.20_.jpg
    399 x 891 - 128K
  • kinglordkinglord Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

kinglord said:
    Hello,

Hi Spheric,

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I can select the option you highlight, but Lux errors out because it expects a surface integrator for sppm as well in order to for the render method to work. I think what is needed is an option for sppm here as well. Whenever I try to render with sppm with any of the current surface integrators I get an error:

Severe error: 43] SPPM renderer requires the SPPM integrator.

Hope that helps you figure out what I meant!

RenderSettings.png
    475 x 931 - 49K
    edited December 1969

kinglord said:
    kinglord said:
    Hello,

Hi Spheric,

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I can select the option you highlight, but Lux errors out because it expects a surface integrator for sppm as well in order to for the render method to work. I think what is needed is an option for sppm here as well. Whenever I try to render with sppm with any of the current surface integrators I get an error:

Yes, SPPM requires the 'sppm' surface integrator...that should be one of the options listed in the Surface Integrators drop down. So will it be added in the update to fix the tiling? I use SPPM a lot...

edited December 1969

Sounds like a good plan.

mjc1016 said:
    kinglord said:
    kinglord said:
    Hello,

Hi Spheric,

Yes, SPPM requires the 'sppm' surface integrator...that should be one of the options listed in the Surface Integrators drop down. So will it be added in the update to fix the tiling? I use SPPM a lot...

This discussion has been closed.