Luxus discussion

Comments

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited March 2013

Tinkering with the program and came up with a question i couldn't find in the manual

I have three material's I've converted as a light source.

how do I name each one separately so when exporting to the Luxrender GUI i have more control over the lights themselves.
    as it stands they are combined into one file..and named after the set I'm using.

By the way when you convert a texture to a light shouldn't that tell D|S I want the light on...found out the hard way I had to turn it on. after starting a render and seeing nothing.

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

I'm having no luck with this plugin. I tried a 3 light setup (2 spots and one distant) with intenisty settings as they would be for a 3Delight render - I ended up with an image of bright white glare and deep black shadows. I tried to adjust the Luxus light settings to bring down the intensity but that made no difference at all.

Then I discovered that leaving one wall invisible (interior scene) so as to position the camera also had the effect of having light streaming in through that absent wall. I'm assuming this is from the distant light?

I closed the wall and tried to position the camera inside the room and then the scene was rendered totally black.

I finally started over from scratch, reset the settings and just hit render (one distant light) and this is what it looks like (awful):

Capture3.JPG
    338 x 684 - 44K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Thats because in may cases DS exports everything as glossy. You need to tone down the value of your skin. Setting most clothing to matte looks best IMO

edited December 1969

marble said:
    I'm having no luck with this plugin. I tried a 3 light setup (2 spots and one distant) with intenisty settings as they would be for a 3Delight render - I ended up with an image of bright white glare and deep black shadows. I tried to adjust the Luxus light settings to bring down the intensity but that made no difference at all.

Then I discovered that leaving one wall invisible (interior scene) so as to position the camera also had the effect of having light streaming in through that absent wall. I'm assuming this is from the distant light?

I closed the wall and tried to position the camera inside the room and then the scene was rendered totally black.

I finally started over from scratch, reset the settings and just hit render (one distant light) and this is what it looks like (awful):

Kill your gloss settings and see if that works. Even in reality glossiness is a problem.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Pardon me, but WOW!

I picked this up in a heartbeat last night; the MM discount is amazing on this, and I have to say, HOLY CRUD! I grabbed an image I'd been fighting with for a long time, that I'd never really gotten to work quite right in Reality, and just for the heck of it Just Hit Render. It picked up the backdrop (an UberEnvironment), the lighting, all my transparencies, the details on the boots, etc...

Here's my two renders; the Luxus one only got to about 27S/p and the Reality render got to about 61 S/p (because I had to futz with light groups to get it to look right, while it was rendering).

I'm incredibly stoked. I'd even forgotten that the hair wasn't working right in Reality, and it went into Luxus w/o a problem.

Now I know that I can fix all the issues with the Reality one, by careful manipulation of the materials, etc., but the thing that makes me Very Happy(tm) about Luxus is that I don't have to. I can spend more time focused on 'creative time' vs. 'tool time'. This is what I was hoping for!

I'm sure there will be things I'm less thrilled about, but I'm very happy so far, especially for the crazy low price.

THANK YOU!

-- Morgan

WIP_-_Reality_Test.png
    768 x 1086 - 1M
    WIP_-_Luxus_Test.png
    768 x 1086 - 2M
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

Kill your gloss settings and see if that works. Even in reality glossiness is a problem.

Well, I tried the same scene in Reality - without touching the materials settings - and this was the result (only left it running for 5 minutes but you can see already the difference):

Capture.JPG
    649 x 924 - 82K
  • HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited March 2013

Is there a Setting doc for Luxus, so we can engage several LuxSlaves, without using the LuxRender GUI?

Post edited by Haslor on
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Pardon me, but WOW!

I picked this up in a heartbeat last night; the MM discount is amazing on this, and I have to say, HOLY CRUD! I grabbed an image I'd been fighting with for a long time, that I'd never really gotten to work quite right in Reality, and just for the heck of it Just Hit Render. It picked up the backdrop (an UberEnvironment), the lighting, all my transparencies, the details on the boots, etc...

Here's my two renders; the Luxus one only got to about 27S/p and the Reality render got to about 61 S/p (because I had to futz with light groups to get it to look right, while it was rendering).

I'm incredibly stoked. I'd even forgotten that the hair wasn't working right in Reality, and it went into Luxus w/o a problem.

Now I know that I can fix all the issues with the Reality one, by careful manipulation of the materials, etc., but the thing that makes me Very Happy(tm) about Luxus is that I don't have to. I can spend more time focused on 'creative time' vs. 'tool time'. This is what I was hoping for!

I'm sure there will be things I'm less thrilled about, but I'm very happy so far, especially for the crazy low price.

THANK YOU!

-- Morgan

Nicely done Morgan!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    PDSmith said:

Well, I tried the same scene in Reality - without touching the materials settings - and this was the result (only left it running for 5 minutes but you can see already the difference):

Open the lxs and lxm files from both in a text editor and compare them...that will give you an idea what the differences are.

• 3dtoday3dtoday Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think what you are asking is, Does LuxRender use the GPU? It can if you choose hybrid renderer.
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Main_Page

thanks for reply.

does any one have stats of render time with the hybrid vs regular lux?
    Im mainly interested in animation and regular lux is just too slow.

I am not a big fan of the GPU rendering because you only get one light group.

are you doing any animation?

Adjusting the light groups after the fact is very awesome.

sounds interesting.

Although using the Sun Sky2, its the Daylight Light Preset provided with Luxus, should work fine with the hybrid renderer.

is there a demo of luxus to test?

2) I am sure it can be made to work, and I will look into this, but I have not tested it..

yeah, be really curious if you can add this, please

I'd be a deal maker / deal breaker for me.

thanks!

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Hey SphericLabs
    Great plugin, are there plans for a Carrara version?
    If not, how can we change your mind?
    Having just started using Lux, anyone know how well it handles Instancing?

Things get really nasty in a hurry with a Carrara scene in most render engines. :)

Yes it does:
    http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxBlend_System#Instancing

Does not mean that Carrara's instances can be converted to Lux though.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

kyu2130 said:
    im getting the hang of Luxus, the going is slow, my only problem is where in gods name is it saving the renders too. i've searched my mac for the file name listed on the top of the luxrender window and no luck. the one other question i do have is if i opt to not use the Luxrender GUI do i still have a way to manage the lights?

I found my render in the DAZ temp directory (hit F2 and that's shown under the General settings). That was using the LuxRender GUI, not done a 'in DS' render yet.

• Daniel A RobertsDaniel A Roberts Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

These are the days I feel a little bruised in the self esteem deaprtment, lol.

I bought Luxus and it installed fast with the IM client. It says it's installed, but it's not visible in the render menu, nor is it in the list of plug-ins when I go to seek it out. Is there some way to activate it? Goodness knows, I've looked hard enough, even looked at the menues in this thread, and I do not have those tabs/selections.

Folks are also speaking about the manual. I did a search on my hard drive. While all the files are installed in Daz, as I can see them, no PDF or DOC is found with Luxus, unless it's named something else entirely.

Where does it hide, if anyone knows?

Thank you in advance.

edited December 1969

I bought Luxus and it installed fast with the IM client. It says it's installed, but it's not visible in the render menu, nor is it in the list of plug-ins when I go to seek it out. Is there some way to activate it? Goodness knows, I've looked hard enough, even looked at the menues in this thread, and I do not have those tabs/selections.

Folks are also speaking about the manual. I did a search on my hard drive. While all the files are installed in Daz, as I can see them, no PDF or DOC is found with Luxus, unless it's named something else entirely.

Thank you in advance.

It's one of the drop down menus in the render settings tab...when you select which render engine you want.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Thank you in advance.

There is two installers, one for the content, one for the plugin. Maybe that is the issue?

edited March 2013

Thank you in advance.

Install Mgr only installs the extra content as it currently does not support Plug-In installers. Go in and grab Luxus via "traditional" means and run the installer and the dll files will install and allow you to use Luxus. :) There is no registration involved. :)

Here is a link to the online manual.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15891/start

The PDF link is on this page.

Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • chsmo69chsmo69 Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

I'm rendering through the LuxRender GUI and my image is pretty noisy. The image attached was rendered with 5 lights, tone-mapping set at Reinhard/non-linear and a render time of 1 hour.

Are there tricks to clean the image up? I've tested all other tone-mapping settings and they are way too bright. Adding lights also results in noisy, but brighter images.

I think I'm not understanding something on a basic level because the images posted so far are pretty clean compared to my grainy look.

Thanks

d70.png
    555 x 800 - 433K
    edited December 1969

Thank you in advance.

There is two installers, one for the content, one for the plugin. Maybe that is the issue?

Aha, I think you're onto something. The Install Manager only lists the Luxus Content. It never grabbed or saw the second installer. Downloading it now manually. You might want to let Daz know that only the content is being seen by the IM.

Thank you! ^_^

edited December 1969

chsmo said:
    I'm rendering through the LuxRender GUI and my image is pretty noisy. The image attached was rendered with 5 lights, tone-mapping set at Reinhard/non-linear and a render time of 1 hour.

Are there tricks to clean the image up? I've tested all other tone-mapping settings and they are way too bright. Adding lights also results in noisy, but brighter images.

I think I'm not understanding something on a basic level because the images posted so far are pretty clean compared to my grainy look.

Thanks

LuxRender will remain 'grainy' for a little while. It renders until you tell it to stop. The longer it runs, the less noise you will have in your image. :)

edited March 2013

These are the days I feel a little bruised in the self esteem deaprtment, lol. I bought Luxus and it installed fast with the IM client. It says it's installed, but it's not visible in the render menu, nor is it in the list of plug-ins when I go to seek it out. Is there some way to activate it? Goodness knows, I've looked hard enough, even looked at the menues in this thread, and I do not have those tabs/selections. Folks are also speaking about the manual. I did a search on my hard drive. While all the files are installed in Daz, as I can see them, no PDF or DOC is found with Luxus, unless it's named something else entirely. Where does it hide, if anyone knows? Thank you in advance.

Install Mgr only installs the extra content as it currently does not support Plug-In installers. Go in and grab Luxus via "traditional" means and run the installer and the dll files will install and allow you to use Luxus. :) There is no registration involved. :)

Here is a link to the online manual.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15891/start

You beat me to the post. Thanks for the link to the manual! ^_^

Post edited by Katherine on
    edited December 1969

Is the Luxus dll appearing in your plugins folder?

Does it show if you go to Help > About installed Plugins?

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

Getting a bit closer to what I want to see... (compared to others above)...

Capture4.JPG
    724 x 920 - 90K
    edited December 1969

Thank you in advance.

Aha, I think you're onto something. The Install Manager only lists the Luxus Content. It never grabbed or saw the second installer. Downloading it now manually. You might want to let Daz know that only the content is being seen by the IM.

Thank you! ^_^

They have stated that it only does content at this time. I imagine they are working on updates. For right now, just be sure to run the installer to get all the files for any plug-ins etc.... :)

edited December 1969

chsmo said:

Thanks

LuxRender will remain 'grainy' for a little while. It renders until you tell it to stop. The longer it runs, the less noise you will have in your image. :)

TY for such a quick response! I'm aware that renders continue until they are stopped. I just expected a render that took an hour to be less noisy than this. I thought I had done something (or not) to cause this grain issue.

So if I understand correctly, this is the norm when rendering with Luxrender and renders will take 1+ hours to look decent?

edited December 1969

chsmo said:
    chsmo said:

Thanks

TY for such a quick response! I'm aware that renders continue until they are stopped. I just expected a render that took an hour to be less noisy than this. I thought I had done something (or not) to cause this grain issue.

So if I understand correctly, this is the norm when rendering with Luxrender and renders will take 1+ hours to look decent?

They can yes. I know some people who let them run overnight or longer, depending on what they are rendering. (Specular, reflections etc...). LOL Being an impatient person like I am, this is one thing I have had to get used to. Others with a bit more experience in settings may have some further insight as well.

edited December 1969

marble said:
    PDSmith said:

Getting a bit closer to what I want to see... (compared to others above)...

Good progress :)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

chsmo said:

Thanks

There are a lot of important factors to know when working with Luxrender. The most important thing is to think of the lighting as a real world lighting setup. I assume your image has no background. This means there is nothing to reflect the light back onto the subject, since there are no walls or floor for the light to bounce off. You can put them off camera, or even remove them later using some sneaky Photoshop techniques.

Adding lights will make things appear brighter, but it also means shadows might appear where you don't want them, and also vastly increase total render time. This means more noise in the short term. Instead, look at boosting the existing lighting to make it stronger. I'm not sure what the available settings in Luxus are, but Reality gives you direct control over the light, including wattage and light efficiency. I can only assume there's an equivalent through the controls in Luxus.

edited December 1969

Thank you in advance.

Thank you! ^_^

Most of the time, the DIM IS NOT going to install programs or plugins (I can't think of anything off the top of my head that won't make that 'all the time', but 'most' is the 'safer' option, in case there is something that it will install that I don't know about)...it handles content only.

edited December 1969

I'm going to try it again with a basic light rig and add to it as I test results. I'll put him a cube and add a floor and wall as well.
    Reality never put out this much noise on me and gave decent results in about an hour, so I guess I need to experiment a little.

thanks

edited December 1969

chsmo said:
    I'm going to try it again with a basic light rig and add to it as I test results. I'll put him a cube and add a floor and wall as well.
    Reality never put out this much noise on me and gave decent results in about an hour, so I guess I need to experiment a little.

thanks

It will take time to learn the ins and outs of this one, the same as Reality did initially. Since the LuxRender is the same on the final end, it is just a matter of learning what works in each one. I know with Reality I have a ton of noise for longer periods when I have more spec and/or reflections...And like posted, when my images are too bright....

This discussion has been closed.