Shadow Catcher Skylight and Indirect lighting..

I did a work around.  But when using the shadow catcher with a background set to white I get a halo around the object.   I did a work aorund by doing a light dome around the scene.  works great render alpha with no background set.  If I set the background I get a halo.  I tried even rendering multi pass to get the shadow on another layer but instead of doing a transparent layer with just shadow they do a white one. 

So to use GI rendering you can't really use the skylight if you want transparency to get the shadow.  Or am I approaching this wrong.  I didn't want to render the image I am puttin this on in Carrara but put it after in post.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I can post examples if it would be helpful

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209

Not understanding the question exactly.

I'm notentirely savvy on shadow-catching, but what you want to do should be doable... I think. Hard (for me?) to understand exactly what you're trying to do - just get a shadow as a separate pass?

Like, when you say that your shadow pass is white, does that mean that everything is black except the shadow, which comes out white? If so, that's a good shadow mask - white (in software alpha channels) = Selected, which means that you can then apply color or other edits and/or effects to just that area within the image/animation.

If the above example is correct, but you'd rather it the opposite, shadow = black, all else white, then just invert the pixels.

But I know you're clever, so I know I'm misunderstanding this. right?

FYI: When I make a shadow catcher, I not only set up the lighting model to shadow catcher, but I also go through the rest of the shader and set everything to "None" just to avoid accidental artifacts.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Milo, don't know what you are using for software for post work, but typically you would set your Layer Transfer Mode to Multiply for your shadow pass. That will turn the 'white' background transparent. Don't know if that helps.

Cheers

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited August 2017

I often do that with or without shadow catcher and never have any problem.

I uses a realistic sky and a distant light to match the lighting of the footage and I make a render in .TGA with alpha (no premultiplied).

That work fine in AE but sometime I must clean the mask because a white halo is  on the border, the plugin erase these white pixels.

I don't know with GI...

Post edited by DUDU on
    Milo said:

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I can post examples if it would be helpful

Milo, yes if you could post an example of the problem that would be helpful. I just tried a few tests using Shadow Catcher but I don't see any halo...

DUDU said:

That work fine in AE but sometime I must clean the mask because a white halo is  on the border, the plugin erase these white pixels.

Hi DUDU, by 'plugin' are you refering to the 'Remove Color Matting' in AE? Just curious.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

No, I have a french version but it's "Mask cleaning internal/external" (good translation???).

To delete the white colour, you can also try to change the type of fusion from "Normal" to "Screen" for this layer.

DUDU said:

No, I have a french version but it's "Mask cleaning internal/external" (good translation???).

To delete the white colour, you can also try to change the type of fusion from "Normal" to "Screen" for this layer.

Thanks for the explanation DUDU, nice bit of information.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

Milo, don't know what you are using for software for post work, but typically you would set your Layer Transfer Mode to Multiply for your shadow pass. That will turn the 'white' background transparent. Don't know if that helps.

Cheers

Sorry I was away for a couple of days.  It does and it doesn't depending on the background.  Why they placed it against white instead of on a transparent layer, I dunno.  Depending on the background it was nice it works or O man that looks bad. 

I appreciate the response.

Milo

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

I will have to see without shadow catcher, and about cleaning the white.  I will try to post something soon.  Life got overly complicated in a hurry.