carraracafe

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    tsarist said:
    We appreciate your hard work on the Cafe Holly.
    It's looking better already.

I'll say! Very nicely done Holly!

I'll try to dig in to my perceived performance issues on my side of the equation and let you know what I find (is there a PM feature at the Cafe...haven't noticed it if its there).

Bravo again!
    If you go to cafe and look at the top right you will see a dropdownlink that says EX.... The menyu items under that are the new section of the site and there is a MAILBOX function there.

Your login for Cafe should allow you to use the new section, but it is very much in an early state of testing and organization...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited March 2013

Garstor said:
    tsarist said:
    We appreciate your hard work on the Cafe Holly.
    It's looking better already.

I'll say! Very nicely done Holly!

I'll try to dig in to my perceived performance issues on my side of the equation and let you know what I find (is there a PM feature at the Cafe...haven't noticed it if its there).

Bravo again!

If you go to cafe and look at the top right you will see a dropdownlink that says EX.... The menyu items under that are the new section of the site and there is a MAILBOX function there.

Your login for Cafe should allow you to use the new section, but it is very much in an early state of testing and organization...

I think I noticed a typo in your EX drop down link. In the screen shot I think the "S" in the highlighted link needs to be moved to the right. ;-)

P.S. I think you're doing an awesome job on the forums. I love how you use the Carrara icons for the different forum topics.

Picture_1.png
    188 x 428 - 40K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

LOFL!
    Good one EP!

edited December 1969

LOLOL! gotta blame GKDantas for that one.... But if it get's more people over to CAFE. I'm all for it... Hey what says COMMUNITY like GROUPS EX

edited March 2013

LOLOL! gotta blame GKDantas for that one.... But if it get's more people over to CAFE. I'm all for it... Hey what says COMMUNITY like GROUPS EX

Well, MEMBERS EX sounded too exclusionary! Kind of like the Platinum Club, but dirtier.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Well, MEMBERS EX sounded too exclusionary! Kind of like the Platinum Club, but dirtier.

Guys, I just finished eating breakfast when I read these. My monitors thank the timing...it could have been messier than GROUPS EX otherwise...coffee and peanut butter would be horrible to clean...

ROFL!

edited December 1969

I was inspired by everything going on at the Carrara Cafe and I picked my brain (don't ask ;-) ) and uploaded a bunch of stuff to my long neglected Carrara Cafe gallery. I even took advantage of the maturity filter to upload a topless image from the old Carrara Bimbo thread. :coolgrin:
    http://carraracafe.com/gallery/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=6

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Hey what says COMMUNITY like GROUPS EX

Well it's either GROUPS EX or ... gee?

edited December 1969

Really like that gallery of yours, EP

edited December 1969

Thanks! I have some more that I need to look through.

Stick one up there yourself if you haven't done it yet!

edited December 1969

I will... absolutely! I wonder if YouTube or other avi can be in the gallery?

edited December 1969

I will... absolutely! I wonder if YouTube or other avi can be in the gallery?

I did notice an upload video link. Couldn't get the bulk uploader to work, so hopefully the video uploader will.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

this thread is mostly "hidden" from me but I will add, I have embedded youtube videos at Carrara cafe
    just putting the url in a post does it
    unsure about in the gallery though.

edited December 1969

this thread is mostly "hidden" from me but I will add, I have embedded youtube videos at Carrara cafe

Yes, that works in the forum, just paste the url of the video.

I'm not sure how the gallery works...

edited December 1969

I'm still trying to figure out how to create a user gallery.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Yes, that works in the forum, just paste the url of the video.

I'm not sure how the gallery works...

Skull
    Video works :-)

edited March 2013

Garstor said:

I'm still trying to figure out how to create a user gallery.Hold your cursor over where it says: "Howdy 'Your Name'" and select "Edit Profile"

See the pic below, use "More" to create your gallery ;)
    Edit: You have to scroll down a bit to find those buttons in the pic

Cafe-DIY.jpg
    1049 x 800 - 249K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited March 2013

Garstor said:

I'm still trying to figure out how to create a user gallery.

Hold your cursor over where it says: "Howdy 'Your Name'" and select "Edit Profile"

See the pic below, use "More" to create your gallery ;)
    Edit: You have to scroll down a bit to find those buttons in the pic
    UGH! no, that is only the test section for the new software... If I can't get the menus fixed we will have to go with something else...
    USE at your own risk, but it is still mostly separate from the rest of the site...

That gallery (i prefer it) but it is not part of the main gallery of the site...

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

UGH! no, that is only the test section for the new software... If I can't get the menus fixed we will have to go with something else...
    USE at your own risk, but it is still mostly separate from the rest of the site...

And being the test section, there ought to be considerable risk in doing so, as data could be manipulated at the drop of a hat. Any hat.

If it's any consolation, this wouldn't be the first time pre-production and production sites got cross-wired in a website.
    Crashed and burned horribly then too.

edited December 1969

It's been a long time, but I seem to recall I followed this chain 'o links:

I can't for the life of me remember if I created a separate profile for the gallery....

Picture_5.png
    961 x 565 - 87K
    Picture_3.png
    1086 x 541 - 77K
    Picture_4.png
    1057 x 350 - 65K
    Picture_2.png
    651 x 363 - 69K
    edited December 1969

Garstor, I PMed you with some more details on how to create a gallery using the "Classic" Carrara Cafe gallery system.

edited December 1969

Territan said:
    If it's any consolation, this wouldn't be the first time pre-production and production sites got cross-wired in a website.
    Crashed and burned horribly then too.

Look on the bright-side -- you guys are not using SharePoint to build the Cafe (although I could help with that...but I wouldn't wish SharePoint pain on my friends...).

Yeah, I kinda bit the hand that feeds... :vampire:

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Holly
    I see you and the other people have been working hard.
    Today I see a sign saying the forum will soon close and there will be a new forum.
    Give us a heads up about what's going on. Didn't see a thread or post about specifics.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Holly
    I see you and the other people have been working hard.
    Today I see a sign saying the forum will soon close and there will be a new forum.
    Give us a heads up about what's going on. Didn't see a thread or post about specifics.

Hi! Sorry for any alarm...

No old posts are being deleted, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to export old posts to the new forum.... We are still looking for a way to port them, but it's possible we will be forced to start clean. I would like to keep the old forums for a topical "knowledge base" so we can organize tutorials by subject (something that has already been happening...)

The new forum allows for sharing files (.zip will download automatically, .car and ,cbr will have to be "saved" to disc as browsers don't know what they are and try to open them as a text string... working on a way to force those to download), naturally we can embed videos and pics, also tagging other members in a post, full formatting, forum topics can be labeled as "answered"..., and everything else you'd expect for a real forum.

The new galleries allow privacy settings, so you could create a sub-gallery only to share with "friends", or to keep private.

There are Groups which contain their own discussion forums (hopefully we can provide a home for some longterm group projects, as well as specialized knowledge groups like for Unity users etc...).

There are Profiles which some may want to use that work sort of like Facebook. If you enter your location you may be able to find other members in your area...., and be notified when someone tags you in a forum post.... Also private messaging.

Basically there is a lot of promise to be more than *just* another Carrara forum. DAZ paid for a software upgrade to help get this rolling. Everything has been tested, but the cosmetics will be changing as I can dig into the options a little better.

We will have a "grand opening" of the new section within a week or two... You won't need to re-join, it will work with your existing profile. I'd love to try to organize some hosted topics and a freebie drive to help build traffic and get people interested.... With Carrara in limbo a while between versions there hasn't been a lot of traffic here or there.... I'd like to try to change that.

edited December 1969

Very Cool, Holly!

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Holly ---thanks again for your work on this ....it sounds pretty exciting to have a better site with more features --- and nice that DAZ paid for the upgrade. Thanks DAZ........You (DAZ) get a lot of crap from us sometimes but we do appreciate your efforts with CarraraCafe. I cannot wait to see it in action.

And last I looked we had over 200 forum members registered at CC --just 3 weeks ago it was like 150 . Its slowly getting more traffic. So I would just suggest folks to pop in over there .....and drop a post or follow up on some ----so we truly make it "The" spot for Carrara.

Rich

• edited December 1969

I have been out of production for awhile but love the cafe for the Cripeman videos and will be spending some time there this weekend looking at displacement maps for creating terrains and maybe that scruff beard tutorial, nice ! Anything that keeps Daz interested in C works for me.

edited December 1969

No old posts are being deleted, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to export old posts to the new forum.... We are still looking for a way to port them

If you could get me into your database, I'm sure I could end up writing a query to export the old posts. The catch would be how they are stored...just the text of the post, or mixed up with pseudo-HTML...

Sounds like some hard work is paying off just the same though. Thank-you all who are behind Carrara Cafe.

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

With Carrara in limbo a while between versions there hasn't been a lot of traffic here or there.... I'd like to try to change that.

Good luck with that. The limbo has caused inertia, and the inertia has done a good bit of damage to the brand.

The reason I haven't been active over here for so long is because I upgraded my primary computer. I moved to an operating system too new for Carrara to work with. (Just ...think about that a moment. "Bit rot" happens not because a program goes bad, but because the computer changes and the program or data doesn't follow along.)

For the most part, I still can't run Carrara. Initial reports scared me the hell away from C8 (so no C8.5Beta), and C7 is too old for this computer. There's another older laptop that it ought to run on, and into which I occasionally remote into as a file server. That should run it, but I've been putting off that install and besides, I have both (Contemporary Commercial Cat-Named Platform-Specific Competitor) and (Contemporary Free Appliance-Named Competitor) to practice with.

Sorry Holly, but this is the sort of inertia you'll be fighting getting Carrara Café into the fore. The Café looks very pretty, I occasionally do miss the tool I know how to use, and when a non-beta 8.5 drops I might just consider snapping up a copy (after waiting for initial reviews and bug reports). I may even re-up my Platinum account. But for all the support Daz is giving you getting the Café up and running, shame on them for letting things get to this state in the first place.

I do wish you luck and success, though. I'd hate to think of your efforts here being wasted, especially given how far you've come.

...okay, thinking more about installing C7 on the Powerbook and using Screen Share to run it remotely. Something about the idea is hairpin-crazy and appeals to my inner geek. Couldn't use it on the road, though.