carraracafe

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Garstor said:
    One of the issues with CarraraCafe is the site page loading speed. Its very slow even with fast cable internet. 4-10 seconds for a click through. This is why I never go there. If Daz is funding the project, can you guys get them to move the site to a faster server or hosting company? That would help a lot.

I posted on the Cafe about this. I'd be interested in learning exactly where the bottleneck lies (web server, database server, etc.). I stand by a willingness to contribute to help either financially or technically.
    Is it slow? Or is it maybe just graphically intense with the big beauty images?

I think Cafe is a good Carrara showcase, it's very pretty. Cafe is meant to be a "front door" to new Carrara buyers... And a HUGE new issue of Expo is due soon, too.... I'm tinkering with how the forums are organized around workflow discussions.... Most stuff there (like here) is a bit random so useful information gets lost quickly.... Thing is Carrara does a LOT... so there are a LOT of topics that need focus.... I feel like I only know half of Carrara...

We're talking about adding a new service for the site that would make it more "social". For instance you'd get a notice that someone you are following has updated their gallery..., start discussion groups and schedule Saturday night chats.... we can try to connect people who want to work collaboratively or get together for munches..., and also appeal to professionals and designers with technical topics.... Whew, I guess it could be a bit like ArtZone, but more focused....

Last night, I did a little forum clean-up, merged some and added some... So if you can't find your post *oops* sorry about that, nothing's deleted.... The forum tools will change once we get the social plugin integrated..., then I can add the standard buttons so we can embed pics and videos, and share files... That's still coming....

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Holly
    To your point. When I think back a little over a year ago I think Carrara Cafe was one of the Major reasons I purchased Carrara. I found getting into 3d modeling and animating very confusing even though I had some experience in autocad, sketchup, solidworks and Alibre. I had tried something called Sketchers studio that directly imported models I made in Sketchup. That software was never developed and died on the vine. I tried Blender and was too confused. So I looked around, read 3d magazines and tried demo's of software. So many of the 3d magazines I looked at and Daz's site is so fantasy Character and Scene based that it was very difficult to tell for a newbie what the software can do, and more importantly can it render close to photorealistic ( if one had the chops to create such an image) or does it fall more in the video game appearance. I think the Carrara Cafe, and the C3d magazine settled this issue for me.
    I like the broad range of renders represented, Architectural, technical, fantasy. I've invested many hours in learning Carrara, and it does what I need beautifully. I would like to see the software continue development. Right now it seems that Carrara is a bit under appreciated in the 3d world, and I think Carrara Cafe presents a very clear representation of what the software is capable of. Which is very different then how Carrara is represented on Daz's own website, and to some degree this fourm.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

8068 said:
    Holly
    To your point. When I think back a little over a year ago I think Carrara Cafe was one of the Major reasons I purchased Carrara. I found getting into 3d modeling and animating very confusing even though I had some experience in autocad, sketchup, solidworks and Alibre. I had tried something called Sketchers studio that directly imported models I made in Sketchup. That software was never developed and died on the vine. I tried Blender and was too confused. So I looked around, read 3d magazines and tried demo's of software. So many of the 3d magazines I looked at and Daz's site is so fantasy Character and Scene based that it was very difficult to tell for a newbie what the software can do, and more importantly can it render close to photorealistic ( if one had the chops to create such an image) or does it fall more in the video game appearance. I think the Carrara Cafe, and the C3d magazine settled this issue for me.
    I like the broad range of renders represented, Architectural, technical, fantasy. I've invested many hours in learning Carrara, and it does what I need beautifully. I would like to see the software continue development. Right now it seems that Carrara is a bit under appreciated in the 3d world, and I think Carrara Cafe presents a very clear representation of what the software is capable of. Which is very different then how Carrara is represented on Daz's own website, and to some degree this fourm.

can I have some of what ever you are smoking !

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

To those who are managing the CarraraCafe website:

I almost exclusively use an iPad for my web browsing these days. Recently, I have started to see pop-up ads appear at the bottom of every page on the CarraraCafe web site. If I dismiss the pop-up, it reappears on the next page that I view.

The ads only appear on the CarraraCafe web site, I see them nowhere else. I prefer to use the iPad Safari Browser. However, if I switch to another browser, such as iCabMobile or Atomic Web, I see the same thing.

The iCab and Atomic browsers have the ability to pretend to be desktop versions of other browsers (such as destop Safari), rather than a "mobile" version. If I set them to simulate a non mobile browser, the pop-up ads disappear. Likewise, if I view the CarraraCafe web site on a desktop computer, the ads do not appear.

The ads appear to be comming form the LeadBolt mobile ad network. My theory is that the Wordpress software that CarraraCafe is built on has a LeadBolt plug-in or extension that may have been added recently (maybe due to a Wordpress update), and is now serving up ads to mobile users.

The ads are a major pain to deal with, and I don't believe that they were intentionally placed there. And since CarraraCafe is still a DAZ sponsored web site, I can't see them wanting this kind of random advertising on the site.

Can something be done about this?

384121093.890545_.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 243K
    384121046.090158_.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 278K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Holly, those changes sound amazing! Thank you for the work you're doing, and also the other admins at the Cafe!

edited December 1969

de3an said:

I almost exclusively use an iPad for my web browsing these days. Recently, I have started to see pop-up ads appear at the bottom of every page on the CarraraCafe web site. If I dismiss the pop-up, it reappears on the next page that I view.

My theory is that the Wordpress software that CarraraCafe is built on has a LeadBolt plug-in or extension that may have been added recently (maybe due to a Wordpress update), and is now serving up ads to mobile users.

Yes, it must be a "mobile theme" plugin. I haven't gone to the site with my iPad.... I can probably disable the plugin, is there any advantage to seeing the mobile version as opposed to viewing the regular version? Any reason NOT to disable it?
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

My theory is that the Wordpress software that CarraraCafe is built on has a LeadBolt plug-in or extension that may have been added recently (maybe due to a Wordpress update), and is now serving up ads to mobile users.

Yes, it must be a "mobile theme" plugin. I haven't gone to the site with my iPad.... I can probably disable the plugin, is there any advantage to seeing the mobile version as opposed to viewing the regular version? Any reason NOT to disable it?

At the bottom of each page there are links that allow you to choose to view the mobile, or full web site. Although the choice for "full site" never seems to stick.

Nevertheless, the ads appear with either choice. Only using a non-mobile web browser will keep the ads from appearing.

The mobile version of the site is generally not needed for tablet users. I would have no objections to disabling it.

• 3DPixLA3DPixLA Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've seen sites mirroring discussion threads from other forums so I think there might even be ways to take threads here and copy/move them to CarraraCafe in a more organized fashion.

Another idea is to create dedicated areas for each of the Carrara content vendors, DT, Fenric, Inagoni, Digital Carvers Guild, etc. That way if there is a question about or tips on using a product that is a good starting point. Content is hard to find here at the Carrara forums once it gets old. Remember seeing it, but then can't find it! The Daz search engine doesn't always find things as well as doing a Google search that points to the Daz site/thread.

A How To Area would be nice too: How to do skies, hair, animation rigs, lighting,etc. Over time topics can be expanded by the community.

Lastly, addressing the manual issue, honestly, how many of you think any company written product manual is any good? And that a Daz C8.5 or 9 manual is going to be any better than the C7 documentation? There is a reason why companies like Peachpit, Lynda.com, InfiniteSkills, etc make a living by creating better training materials. So the big idea is why not start a wiki where the more experienced Carrara users who want to contribute can collaborate and create an online manual. That way the manual is dynamic and constantly updated. Based on what I see here, there are a lot of talented, knowledgeable Carrara users that probably know the software inside out better than Daz!

From a marketing perspective, having a great Carrara manual online and for free will drive the most traffic to the CarraraCafe website. Without a doubt. It becomes a destination for all things Carrara.

As a starting point there must be an original C7 document that can be available as a blueprint doc. There is also software that can scan PDF or static JPGs and into editable text documents.

I like the idea of revamping and relaunching the CarraraCafe site and this would be almost as exciting as, well C8.5. At least it would divert the Carrara community frustration with C8.5/9 into positive energy behind a new robust community site.

Ok I got on this idea roll and couldn't stop.

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3dPixLA ------- I have to say I agree with everyone you put forth above. A lot of really good ideas. I think the continually updated wiki manual with examples on cafe would in fact be a really big draw. I have to say I am liking the revived positive feelings going around here now. Nice change.

Rich

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Everything being said in this thread is fantastic - I've always wanted to see Carrara Cafe supported more.

BUT - its a bit of a paradox that this discussion is taking place here - and not in the cafe ???;-)

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    Everything being said in this thread is fantastic - I've always wanted to see Carrara Cafe supported more.

BUT - its a bit of a paradox that this discussion is taking place here - and not in the cafe ???;-)

Not really, 0oseven.
    We are having the discussion over there too!
    It will probably be awhile before we have enough people over there to really take off.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

We're talking about adding a new service for the site that would make it more "social". For instance you'd get a notice that someone you are following has updated their gallery..., start discussion groups and schedule Saturday night chats.... we can try to connect people who want to work collaboratively or get together for munches..., and also appeal to professionals and designers with technical topics.... Whew, I guess it could be a bit like ArtZone, but more focused....

Last night, I did a little forum clean-up, merged some and added some... So if you can't find your post *oops* sorry about that, nothing's deleted.... The forum tools will change once we get the social plugin integrated..., then I can add the standard buttons so we can embed pics and videos, and share files... That's still coming....

Kick Arse! Thanks a mill for helping them out over there. 3drendero has given the place some fresh pizzaz and enthusiasm as well. All of you helping it out... thanks. This is too cool.
    I've always loved the cafe. Never could spend too much time once it's been frequented already... but I'd still poke my head in and take a stroll through the gallery. Have a cup of C Pro Jo and sit in contemplation. The art there is very encouraging. Finding these artists is just a jaw-dropper. I always thought that C3DE was part of cafe? Love that mag as well! Have them all. Page after page of Carrara freakin' bliss!
    Those artists know that it's better to overcome than to whine - I like that. NASSOS used to frequent these forums, and was pretty good at showing people that the limitations that they're finding in Carrara was all in their heads! Thought that was cool, and might be somewhat responsible for the way I am towards Carrara now.

Anyways...
    Thanks a lot, all of you. Holly and 3drendero, that takes a lot of heart and soul to drop in with that much labor. You guys rock!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Is it slow? Or is it maybe just graphically intense with the big beauty images?

Therein lies the rub. Where is the bottleneck? If it is on the client-side, we might be able to use a Fiddler trace to figure things out. If it is on the server-side, I am happy to volunteer my knowledge (admittedly, my expertise is with SQL Server database performance...many web systems are Linux/PHP/MySQL).

I think Cafe is a good Carrara showcase, it's very pretty. Cafe is meant to be a "front door" to new Carrara buyers...

No argument here! It is definitely pretty and it shows off some spectacular pieces of work. I look forward to seeing more.

Thing is Carrara does a LOT... so there are a LOT of topics that need focus.... I feel like I only know half of Carrara...

Holly, if you only know half of Carrara, then you just reduced my knowledge to a handful of molecules... :lol:

We're talking about adding a new service for the site that would make it more "social". For instance you'd get a notice that someone you are following has updated their gallery..., start discussion groups and schedule Saturday night chats.... we can try to connect people who want to work collaboratively or get together for munches..., and also appeal to professionals and designers with technical topics....

I am about to go into feature-overload shock. These are spectacular ideas. I love and endorse all of them.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    0oseven said:

Not really, 0oseven.
    It will probably be awhile before we have enough people over there to really take off.

never going to happen !

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    never going to happen !

Not with that attitude! :smirk:

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    tsarist said:
    0oseven said:

Not really, 0oseven.

never going to happen !

Please expound as to the reason/s.

edited March 2013

Garstor said:
    bigh said:
    never going to happen !

Not with that attitude! :smirk:
    I don't want to compete with the DAZ forums.... I don't want to create just another forum and then try to steal members away... There should be no competition.... DAZ forums will always be the place to get a quick answer to a problem.

What we need, is a better way to have LONGER, DEEPER conversations.... So our group knowledge can grow. There is a useful conversation about Unity right now, a lot of people who don't usually post... Unfortunately that post will slowdown in a week and it will drop off the page into obscurity.... In the future someone might come here interested in Unity and just assume Carrara is all about sales and complaining.... The Unity conversation will not be obvious at all.

There was a long-running conversation about 3D printing.... Carrara users have more to talk about than "just" genesis doing a hoochie dance on a dragon -- not that there's anything WRONG with that, LOL, but it's an attention level thing.... Every 15 minutes there's another hoochie dance on a dragon, information about Unity and 3D printers comes more slowly.

Ever hear of slow food? The opposite of fast food? We need some options like that.... Not because we hate french fries and dragons, but because there is more to Carrara.... Entire aspects of Carrara are atrophied simply because there is no way to keep longterm projects alive. Quality films made with Carrara? There are MANY... Free tutorials for Carrara? omgosh there are SO MANY but they are scattered to the winds on various sites. We start a conversation about a movie project, and a month later come the snarky troll comments that it hasn't been finished yet.... We have ADHD! It's this site! UGH!

And where can we share shaders? Scene settings? Camera/lighting rigs? Hairs? Trees? Particle settings....? At DAZ everything is for $ale, EVERYTHING. Your MOTHER is for sale here... so great ideas get a thumbs up or down based on how many units it would sell in the store. Quality people move on from this community because they hit a glass ceiling in the store.... For a DIY community like Carrara, that "economy" just kills our development options.... If you want to share some freebies you have to build your own site to host them (I've done it! So have a lot of other people...!) As much as I love/hate DAZ you just have to realize that we meet in a dept. store -- we are like teenagers who hang out at the mall after school dropping quarters into arcade games.... Are we getting better at what we do, are we really getting out of Carrara what we intended? Or are we being distracted by the next game and sale? It's really dumbed down here. It's very Harrison Bergeron here and DAZ likes it that way because it's what pays the light bill.

Really, I'm not bashing DAZ, but Carrara NEEDS a real community site. The DAZ forums won't go away, but there are a lot of restrictions here about what we are allowed to do and say, because it effects DAZ's sales -- or rather, because there are several competing Poser stores with endless identical dresses, so we are not allowed to talk about the plugins that can extend Carrara. We are a "real" 3D community that is forced to live by Poserverse rules - and live at the BOTTOM of that Poserverse like an ugly duckling..... If you are happy with that there is no reason to worry, it won't go away just because some of us want to do more with Carrara....

edited March 2013

lol "steal members away" We are only going from the carrara corner of the DAZ open bar to a private room. But still in the building ;)

Even on the carraracafe site the carraracafe forum is the second choice :long:

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited March 2013

ManStan said:
    lol "steal members away" We are only going from the carrara corner of the DAZ open bar to a private room. But still in the building ;)

I am testing the new forum software as quickly as possible... But I have no doubt you will all skewer me for whatever technical difficulties you encounter in the new forums... LOL :grrr:

The existing forums are really very basic. It's a turn off. I agree. I am trying to find a way to import the existing forum posts over to the new software... It's not just pushing a few buttons and everything works... I reorganized the existing forums as much as I could, but it's still a pill to post there.... I've only been working on this 2 days... ;-)

edited December 1969

I am testing the new forum software as quickly as possible... But I have no doubt you will all skewer me for whatever technical difficulties you encounter in the new forums...

Never, point and laugh maybe :P

edited December 1969

I am testing the new forum software as quickly as possible... But I have no doubt you will all skewer me for whatever technical difficulties you encounter in the new forums... LOL :grrr:

Skewering will not be the first item on my list - I want to help make Carrara Cafe a success.

I reorganized the existing forums as much as I could, but it's still a pill to post there.... I've only been working on this 2 days... ;-)

What is the forum software (and database) behind it?

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

I reorganized the existing forums as much as I could, but it's still a pill to post there.... I've only been working on this 2 days... ;-)

What is the forum software (and database) behind it?

The site runs on Wordpress. That's not going to change because it is the easiest publishing platform....

The existing forums are a WP plugin called Simple Press. For a yearly fee it has some add-ons that can give it more features, but it is only a forum and has limits...

The WP plugin that we are testing is called Symphony, and it is more of a social site (like Facebook or Buddypress) that has integrated galleries, forums, messaging, groups, and even individual userprofile "wall" with status updates.... It has a system for following "friends" so you can see when they update a gallery or post in the forums.... It also has an event calendar and a main chat wall, so we could schedule Saturday night hangs, or discussions... The forum allows for file uploads, so we can share PDF tutorials, textures and small scene files (I think they will need to be zipped), and upload photos without having to host them somewhere else. Embedding links, and outside images (and youtubes) is also very easy.... In essence it could be many things, including hosting your public (and private) galleries..., a way to collaborate on group projects..., and most important imo, a way to share scene settings and shaders. It even has a system where you can tag another user in a forum post and that user will be notified... I'm not sure what all features would be needed or made available, but there would be space to create long-term projects, and focused-topic discussions (not just how-to threads or help-me-now threads).

What we probably need to decide, is whether to bolt this social site onto the existing Cafe site (with all the formatting issues), or possibly give it it's own separate installation (with a link from Cafe).... We need more than just a forum add-on to Cafe. For this to work to the community's and Carrara's advantage, it needs to help drive web activity to the Cafe showcase, and allow for more sophisticated interaction of users.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Anyways...
    Thanks a lot, all of you. Holly and 3drendero, that takes a lot of heart and soul to drop in with that much labor. You guys rock!

Thank you for the kind words.

Holly is moving along at breakneck speed, busy testing all the new stuff. Thanks again Holly.
    Personal opinion, as long as no old content is lost, upgrading is good.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

3DPixLA said:
    I've seen sites mirroring discussion threads from other forums so I think there might even be ways to take threads here and copy/move them to CarraraCafe in a more organized fashion.

Another idea is to create dedicated areas for each of the Carrara content vendors, DT, Fenric, Inagoni, Digital Carvers Guild, etc. That way if there is a question about or tips on using a product that is a good starting point. Content is hard to find here at the Carrara forums once it gets old. Remember seeing it, but then can't find it! The Daz search engine doesn't always find things as well as doing a Google search that points to the Daz site/thread.

A How To Area would be nice too: How to do skies, hair, animation rigs, lighting,etc. Over time topics can be expanded by the community.

Lastly, addressing the manual issue, honestly, how many of you think any company written product manual is any good? And that a Daz C8.5 or 9 manual is going to be any better than the C7 documentation? There is a reason why companies like Peachpit, Lynda.com, InfiniteSkills, etc make a living by creating better training materials. So the big idea is why not start a wiki where the more experienced Carrara users who want to contribute can collaborate and create an online manual. That way the manual is dynamic and constantly updated. Based on what I see here, there are a lot of talented, knowledgeable Carrara users that probably know the software inside out better than Daz!

From a marketing perspective, having a great Carrara manual online and for free will drive the most traffic to the CarraraCafe website. Without a doubt. It becomes a destination for all things Carrara.

As a starting point there must be an original C7 document that can be available as a blueprint doc. There is also software that can scan PDF or static JPGs and into editable text documents.

I like the idea of revamping and relaunching the CarraraCafe site and this would be almost as exciting as, well C8.5. At least it would divert the Carrara community frustration with C8.5/9 into positive energy behind a new robust community site.

Ok I got on this idea roll and couldn't stop.

All great suggestions.
    What Holly is about to launch if all goes to plan, will support most ideas above and should be easy to do.

Except the manual suggestion which may be too big for a forum database thing, may need a separate wiki, but lets get all the other stuff launched first and remind us again if the great idea gets lost.
    As a place holder, we have Dart's manual collection linked from the front page: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

The existing forums are really very basic. It's a turn off. I agree. I am trying to find a way to import the existing forum posts over to the new software... It's not just pushing a few buttons and everything works... I reorganized the existing forums as much as I could, but it's still a pill to post there.... I've only been working on this 2 days... ;-)

We appreciate your hard work on the Cafe Holly.
    It's looking better already.

Thank you

edited December 1969

I'm not sure what all features would be needed or made available, but there would be space to create long-term projects, and focused-topic discussions (not just how-to threads or help-me-now threads).

What we probably need to decide, is whether to bolt this social site onto the existing Cafe site (with all the formatting issues), or possibly give it it's own separate installation (with a link from Cafe).... We need more than just a forum add-on to Cafe. For this to work to the community's and Carrara's advantage, it needs to help drive web activity to the Cafe showcase, and allow for more sophisticated interaction of users.

I don't get too much into social sites (but I'm probably in the minority).
    I guess it would need to be something easy to maintain, since you're a volunteer.
    I'm looking forward to what you come up with
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    I'm not sure what all features would be needed or made available, but there would be space to create long-term projects, and focused-topic discussions (not just how-to threads or help-me-now threads).

I guess it would need to be something easy to maintain, since you're a volunteer.
    I'm looking forward to what you come up with

Or possibly not ;)

edited December 1969

I see that the mobile pop-up ads are gone. :coolsmile:

Thanks Holly!

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    tsarist said:

Or possibly not ;)

Echo that guys -- I gave up on Facebook years ago and have not regretted it. But the features of this social plugin that Holly described do sound useful to me.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    We appreciate your hard work on the Cafe Holly.
    It's looking better already.

I'll say! Very nicely done Holly!

I'll try to dig in to my perceived performance issues on my side of the equation and let you know what I find (is there a PM feature at the Cafe...haven't noticed it if its there).

Bravo again!