Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited March 2013

I just made test and the OBJ fit the head that was design for ( as OBJ ) it can be also rigged and fit all shapes after .. I guess your OBJ is not even a smart prop or figure so it does not have any functions saved in it is static obj

to make the work correct, you need to load the shape( morph ) of your character, then create new Garibaldi hair set, style it and click accept , after that you go back to the plugin editor and go to the last tab ( Tweak ) and then you export the OBJ .
    after that you import the OBJ and use the Transfer Utility to rig it , or use as smart prop and then save it as prop into your content library

and it works as I do it 1000 times ..

bellow obj rigged for genesis ( test )
    obj smart props works the best with the figures it was design for like for example M4 or V4
    they don;t have to be rigged at all , you can import them into Poser for example and save as smart prop also .

obj-garibaldi.jpg
    1166 x 899 - 169K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    I just made test and the OBJ fit the head that was design for ( as OBJ ) it can be also rigged and fit all shapes after .. I guess your OBJ is not even a smart prop or figure so it does not have any functions saved in it is static obj

to make the work correct, you need to load the shape( morph ) of your character, then create new Garibaldi hair set, style it and click accept , after that you go back to the plugin editor and go to the last tab ( Tweak ) and then you export the OBJ .
    after that you import the OBJ and use the Transfer Utility to rig it , or use as smart prop and then save it as prop into your content library

That's the missing step... How do you use the Transfer Utility?

edited December 1969

1, Create the hair as I mentioned before , on base genesis or on your favorite character , if you use your favorite shape character follow the setting in the image bellow .

After that you need to save the hair as Figure and it should fit mostly all human shapes after .

a. Load your character with favortie shape
    b. create new Garibaldi style and return to the scene
    c. Check if you like the style then go back to Garibaldi express editor and go to the last tab TWEAK , then export the hair as OBJ\d. Import the OBJ with the Daz Studio Profile
    d. Select the hair in the scene then in the scene TAB select Transfer Utility and follow the setting from the Image bellow
    e. Save after the hair as figure

and that is

UHF said:
    Mec4D said:

rigging-hair.jpg
    1454 x 942 - 230K
    edited December 1969

P.S if you want to use the hair obj only for the one character you can parent the obj to the head and save as smart prop without rigging, it is good for the short style as well ..

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited March 2013

Thanks for all the tips everyone!! And for the presets Future Biscuit and commorancy. I will DEFINITELY be getting this, though it may not be during this sale - may have to wait for another sale down the road. I loved playing with the betas - I know I still have lots to learn, though!

It would be nice to know when this sale WILL end though - one of the major frustrations I've had with Daz since the new site...

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    P.S if you want to use the hair obj only for the one character you can parent the obj to the head and save as smart prop without rigging, it is good for the short style as well ..

*sigh* Keeps Hanging on me. I have a lot of hair follicles, just short. (And rendering just fine in reality thanks to your other advice.)

edited December 1969

Mec4D said:

1, Create the hair as I mentioned before , on base genesis or on your favorite character , if you use your favorite shape character follow the setting in the image bellow .

After that you need to save the hair as Figure and it should fit mostly all human shapes after .

a. Load your character with favortie shape
    b. create new Garibaldi style and return to the scene
    c. Check if you like the style then go back to Garibaldi express editor and go to the last tab TWEAK , then export the hair as OBJ\d. Import the OBJ with the Daz Studio Profile
    d. Select the hair in the scene then in the scene TAB select Transfer Utility and follow the setting from the Image bellow
    e. Save after the hair as figure

and that is

UHF said:
    Mec4D said:

Success... I have a morphing transfer... Wow... I have a usable product.... How novel... Render is forthcoming..

Got any recommendations for colour settings?

edited December 1969

Good, if you render in Reality use Metallic shader there with the desired color it is the best .. for example use silver and then desire color and should working out

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Please help. I have been trying to set a base color for a Garibaldi hair by using a texture map. The texture space will either turn up as blank or say none. There is a down arrow but when I click on it, there's no browse. So how do I get a texture into there? Could there be something wrong with my copy of Garibaldi?
    I can't find instructions on how to get Garibaldi to use a texture map, either in the video, the documentation, or either the beta thread or this thread.
    I know it should be possible, because I see examples of them in use. But how do I get them to show up inside the hair editor?
    Once again, please help.

• edited March 2013

Had a question about the Paint stage. When your setting up where you want the hair to show, is there a way to erase or undo an area you've painted?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it *sheepishlook*

Post edited by exsillium_f9d4d3a5d5 on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Please help. I have been trying to set a base color for a Garibaldi hair by using a texture map. The texture space will either turn up as blank or say none. There is a down arrow but when I click on it, there's no browse. So how do I get a texture into there? Could there be something wrong with my copy of Garibaldi?
    I can't find instructions on how to get Garibaldi to use a texture map, either in the video, the documentation, or either the beta thread or this thread.
    I know it should be possible, because I see examples of them in use. But how do I get them to show up inside the hair editor?
    Once again, please help.

The texture map must be a 1024x1024 .png file with the same name as the surface it will be applied to and in a folder with the name you wish to use.

The simplest way to achieve this is to create a new texture in the paint section of Garibaldi and then export it to a folder you specify in the export dialog. Open each of the files in the folder in a paint program and overlay a resized copy of the appropriate texture map then resave and overwrite the original in the folder. Once you have all the maps done in the folder, go back to Garibaldi and import the folder. You will have to use a different name for the imported file since it will not allow you to overwrite a file already in the map list (or you can delete the exported file from the list first and reuse the name). Make sure you select colour for the type of map being imported. The map should now be available in the texture drop down for the base and tip colours.

• commorancycommorancy Posts: 39
    edited March 2013

tjohn said:
    Please help. I have been trying to set a base color for a Garibaldi hair by using a texture map. The texture space will either turn up as blank or say none. There is a down arrow but when I click on it, there's no browse. So how do I get a texture into there?

The only way I can see this working is by following what the Garibalidi Wiki says:

"Garibaldi provides features to import and export the texture control maps to PNG image files for editing with external image manipulation software for greater editing control.

The exported control map textures are governed by file naming scheme to simplify managing the texture files. Each active surface has a corresponding image texture with a file name identical to the Daz surface name suffixed by the '.png' extension. The PNG image files are collected into a directory/folder that is named to correspond to the name of the texture control map in the Garibaldi editor.

The exported image files are currently limited to 1024x1024 pixel PNG image files."

This means you will need to do the following:

1) Create a color control map
    2) Export the color control map
    3) Edit and/or replace the PNG files created by the export with your own texture map in the file system following the 1024x1024 PNG format and size.
    4) Delete the texture entry from Garibaldi
    5) Reimport it

Make sure not to change the filenames, image size or format of the images. That's the only way I can see this working. I agree that the interface needs a way to set this up from within, but it doesn't appear to be currently available. You don't really need to do the export, but to make the import process easier, I'd recommend doing an export first to avoid naming and format issues.

Thanks.

Post edited by commorancy on
    edited March 2013

Had a question about the Paint stage. When your setting up where you want the hair to show, is there a way to erase or undo an area you've painted?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it *sheepishlook*

As a reference for newbies, the way it currently works is by dragging the 'Value' slider between 1.0 and 0.0. 1.0 = white, 0.0 = black. This is not very intuitive.

This brings up one of my enhancement requests. I'd rather be able to hit ctrl or shift or alternatively right-click drag draw to toggle painting from white to black rather than having to drag that slider from left <=> right each time. If I need grayscale drawing, I can set the slider, but for black/white painting, a simple button toggle would make this a whole lot simpler for usability.

Thanks.

• theSeatheSea Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

Not sure how you say it was changed. Some of the default values were changed near the end of the beta cycle but the layout has always been the same.

I was trying to match up what I was seeing with what was ion the beta thread and not having much luck.

The settings that will have the greatest effect are primary and secondary specular and transmission.

Basically, primary specular is the brighter/focused shine. I often leave this alone - depending on the light set.

Seconday specular is a duller/less focused shine. I usually set this to the tip colour and a bit lighter in shade.

Transmission is similar to translucency and I usually set this a bit lighter than seconday specular.

You can play with the other settings to see how they affect the hair but changing the colour values in these 3 will have the greatet visual impact.

Cool - thanks for that.

I think I get those, what I'm most interested in at this point are the settings under the 'occlusion' and 'advanced' sections and how they relate to optimizing render time vs quality.

If there's a technical reference on the shader that would be helpful as well.

Once again though - awesome implementation. I love working with it , just seems to make sense to me.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

theSea said:

I asked about this in the Beta thread, and never saw a reply. There is a shell for the documentation now on the Garibaldi site:

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/wiki/index.php?title=Garibaldi_Node_Parameters

Hopefully, this will get completed soon.

It is a great product, I'm hoping there will be some tutorials prepared on techniques for creating and styling hair as well.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

@Gone and commorancy:
    Thanks so much for your help. I never would have been able to do it on my own.
    John

Hobo_FINAL.jpg
    1000 x 900 - 349K
    edited December 1969

Boy Hair... for Genesis.

BoyHair.jpg
    993 x 935 - 445K
    edited December 1969

theSea said:

Cool - thanks for that.

I think I get those, what I'm most interested in at this point are the settings under the 'occlusion' and 'advanced' sections and how they relate to optimizing render time vs quality.

Once again though - awesome implementation. I love working with it , just seems to make sense to me.

There is a link to a technical reference in the beta thread but I can't find it. Apparently, it can be found on the Pixar site. I did manage to find a slightly better description of things that Futurebiscuit posted.....

The colour in the specular options is just a blend colour, the blend slider below will blend from the colour set (at setting 0) and the colour settings set in garibaldi (at settings 1).

The hair shader is not very intuitive. I need to do some documentation/tutorial about what it all means.
    Basically the Primary specular is extra shinny bit on the hair. Normally nearly white and small.
    The secondary is the more wide specular that is more coloured and less bright.
    There also a transmission reflection, which is off by default, this is basically for back lighting the hair.
    Also the more traditional diffuse and ambient settings. Diffuse is good for a bit of fill, to simulate a multiscattered look.

For the specular settings:
    Intensity is the overall brightness of highlight. Possible to set over 1 for extreme brightness.
    Color and Color Blend are discribed above.
    Shift is to move the highlight up and down the hair strand.
    Width is how wide the highlight is.

There is also seperate opacity settings in the general tab. One for the beauty render and one for shadow map renders.
    The localised shading rate in general is set high (low quality) as the nature of geometry means loose interpolated shading samples will be fine.
    There also ambient occlusions settings which are good for short hair (assuming your not using the various urber occlusion things), There also a localised shading rate for occlusion here. Occlusion will slow down renders, especially for lots of hair strands

Maybe this will help some more.

edited December 1969

Another one of my short hair attempts.

ShortHair.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 394K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2013

A short hair and beard done during the beta...

dwarvenforge.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 558K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited March 2013

Jodi with a glamour style via Garibaldi

Dress is Simple Elegance from March Madness Sale.

Jodi2.jpg
    1125 x 2000 - 225K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

UHF said:

'Select All' for hair would be handy.

Are you talking about the styling tab?
    If you don't select anything, the tools (for example the comb) will work on all existing curves.

• theSeatheSea Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

There is a link to a technical reference in the beta thread but I can't find it. Apparently, it can be found on the Pixar site. I did manage to find a slightly better description of things that Futurebiscuit posted.....

Very helpful indeed. Thanks for taking the time. I owe you a beverage :)

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Here is a render I did this weekend along with one from during the beta

MonoPortrait-s.jpg
    1413 x 1999 - 377K
    DecoDoll.jpg
    1332 x 1999 - 161K
    edited December 1969

theSea said:
    Gone said:

Very helpful indeed. Thanks for taking the time. I owe you a beverage :)

No problem. It would have to be non-alcoholic, though - I'm a teetotaller. :-)

A hairy guy - beard, chest, and eyebrow overlay.

OK, maybe not that hairy.

AHairyGuy.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 462K
    edited December 1969

Mohawk for Genesis.

This was rendered in Reality..

Mohawk_-_Small.jpg
    1363 x 904 - 507K
  • CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Well, here's my first (partial) success - I need to tweak the length at the fringe and around the sides still.

I am impressed how good it looks in Lux! This is approximately a 100MB object exported from Garibaldi and is probably bigger than needed.

A couple of notes that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread (not read the whole of the beta one so they may be in there).

I created the Garibaldi hair style on a default Genesis shape. When I imported the object file I parented it to the head then used 'Edit' -> 'Rigging' -> 'Convert prop to figure' at which point it will autofit.

Also, the UV map of the object seems to be set up so that the V is from the bottom of the strands to the top (of the longest?) so you can add root to tip colour variation. I've not figured out if the U axis has any spatial correspondence, does anyone know?

Fan3.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 251K
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

As a part of the on going support to 'Garibaldi Express' customers, todays update presents:

Wild Red Hair Female preset.

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/downloads/

redWildComp01.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 422K
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Whenever I make base hair shape , the toparea stick out like Pinwapple or Corn (TT),,,
    I hope to go next step,, but I need to find the rule to remove them,, help me please ,,

The easiest way is to realign the in-between hairs with the 'Auto Parting' feature. Lower the 'Threshold' setting in the 'Auto Parting Settings' section in the 'Style' workspace to around 90 degrees.

Another way is to use the 'Surface Lattice Linear' interpolation type in the 'Interpolation Settings' section of the 'Style' workspace. This may give more controllable results for some cases, but results may we less realistic.

Post edited by futurebiscuit on
  • Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

I've only had a little bit of free time to play but I am already very impressed.

First let me thank you for the easy installation and serial number activation. Within minutes of downloading I was painting hair density.

I was a bit surprised at how smooth everything works and how good the preview looks considering I only have a Windows 2000 onboard graphics card with drivers that are likely outdated.

The tools are intuitive and fairly easy to use. It is also great to have adjustable levels of undo.

Renders using raytraced shadows and AO were much slower than with mapped shadows but the were not nearly as bad as I had feared. Because I was using a lot of very soft shadows, AO, DOF and SSS, I did the render below using Ubersurface for the hair. It does not have as many features or look as good as the built in hair shader but it allowed me to change a few AO settings and get a fast rendering result.

Thanks for the outstanding plugin!

HairTest_02Mar13k.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 166K