thickness at what point added

Hi everyone, I am getting back into modeling with Hexagon. I am currently creating something simple (arm bracers). I want it to have some substance and want to add thickness. I have set the tool at 0.02 or 3 at the most on outside. My question is do I add thickness when the model is complete or early on? Thanks for any reply.

Samanthie

Comments

• SamanthieSamanthie Posts: 308
    edited July 2017

I intend to model some sort of fastener as well like straps or laces.

Experimenting with adding thickness doesn't seem to be working. When I click on the add thickness tool the mesh turns into an outline of the object so it doesn't apply. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Edit: Figured what I was doing wrong there were some odd faces causing thickness not to apply. Also instead of applying thickness to the object I decided to just create a fake look to the mesh seams with edges. Problem solved.

Post edited by Samanthie on
  • Fake look is the way to go sometimes. In my experience, I have to collapse the dynamic geometry after adding thickness. But thickness only seems to work for me if I use quads in my mesh only. Then I unify facet normals after that, if needed.

Yes only quads although diamond and triangle could solve some problems. What is unify the facet normals? Maybe I need to do that.  Right now just trying to add quads to a surface I am getting a strange deformation of the mesh. I have forgotten so much and my own old tutorials seem difficult to do.lol Still I am relearning fast so that is good. :)

Fake look is the way to go sometimes. In my experience, I have to collapse the dynamic geometry after adding thickness. But thickness only seems to work for me if I use quads in my mesh only. Then I unify facet normals after that, if needed.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

If any faces of an object are liable to be deleted then I think it is better to do that before adding thickness.

If I wanted a wall with a window in it, for example, I would delete one of the faces from the centre of the wall before adding thickness.

If I had made the wall thick before deleting, I would have two faces to get rid of to make the hole for the window and the window's front and back edges would have no faces joining them together.

In general, adding thickness tends to be the final action I take on any object although I can imagine it being done at an early stage in some cases (to ensure a good fit, or whatever).

If any faces of an object are liable to be deleted then I think it is better to do that before adding thickness.

If I wanted a wall with a window in it, for example, I would delete one of the faces from the centre of the wall before adding thickness.

If I had made the wall thick before deleting, I would have two faces to get rid of to make the hole for the window and the window's front and back edges would have no faces joining them together.

In general, adding thickness tends to be the final action I take on any object although I can imagine it being done at an early stage in some cases (to ensure a good fit, or whatever).

Thank you for the good advice!