I have new pwSurface 2 shader presets

2»

Comments

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

It's not just about interests its about getting seen and honestly without someone searching "shaders" or know ing what to look for they may not have seen them!

However, I did download ( i was one of the sample downloaders) and I think its UTTERLY AWESOME. Simple to use and very nice.

I use shaders almost exclusively over textures these days (except for skin). I really love these and can't wait to try the rest out. I'm so sorry to hear that Daz never got back to you.... I don't really understand Daz these days.... they are really out of touch with customers I think.

Thank you, and don't give up!!!!

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

Thank you for this nice shaders. I'm sorry you didn't get a reply from DAZ. At least they could have told you why they are not interested. No reply at all is not that cool.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142
    edited December 1969

Very nice shaders.

I didn't think Poseworks was around anymore.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited March 2013

If you decide to sell them, you can always pull them from ShareCG and leave a sample version in their place. With the no redistribute license you can still monetize it later if you decide. Anyone getting it for free who finds it very useful will pitch in on comments to let others what a good product it is as they will most likely feel it is the least they can do. I think it is definitely worth considering other outlets if DAZ doesn't respond.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:
    Very nice shaders.

Most of the pwShaders were sold to DAZ (except pwSketch due to licensing issues. Don't ask me what, I don't remember any more than that) but because UberSurfaceShader comes with DS, it gets much more attention. But the pwShader family is still in the store
    http://www.daz3d.com/software/shaders-materials/pw-shaders-bundle

I like to use pwEffect and pwSurface for special effects, since I try to keep postwork to a minimum.

edited December 1969

I have noticed btw that the items that get attention while in Beta are ones typically where the artist engages the forum members regularly by posting example pictures etc... It seems that interaction and generating interest is key.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

When I grabbed pweffects and pwsurface2 I was thinking wow, now I can create any shader I need. But, it's just not that easy. It takes some work to get truly special effects. You should feel great about the time you spent working on these shaders and not allow no contact with the outsiders to stop you from your progress. Afterall, look at it this way... 137 people DID find and download your shaders. We Are Looking!

edited March 2013

Almost forgot, tyvm for making them available. I will play with them (eventually... another story...) and let you know what I find :)

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

Thank you, and don't give up!!!!
    Oh no, I'm not giving up, just gave up on selling these Candle Wax, Charmed Minerals and Unique Hair and was spinning my wheels on the gliter so I gave up on the glitter.

I use shaders almost exclusively over textures these days (except for skin).

This is what I'm working on now. Skin. Studing pwSurface2, it seems that its creater intended it to be used for skin, all the right tools are there but there are not so many pwSurface2 skin shaders around. I've been seeing some really neat Poser renders featuring great looking skin. I honestly believe that pwSurface2 holds the key that will unlock great looking skin in DS. I've been able to get things that do not look like Poser, but they look interesting to me. I'm only using the skin texture, the specular texture and the bump texture. My progress so far, I have pw applied to the skin, gums, teeth, eyes and nails; different settings on the different areas. It will take some time but later I'll post some screenshots of the surfaces tab showing what is going on so you all can recreate what I'm doing and hopefully tweak it. Maybe together we can get some great skin setting. Here are three renders, the only difference is the lighting. All three renderes rendered in around seven minutes.

c.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 101K
    b.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 101K
    a.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 110K
    edited March 2013

Why PwSurface over UE/UE2, or EHSS for that matter? Those do look nice btw :)

edited March 2013

they all have different abilities

http://www.poseworks.com/shaders/pwsurface2/

Post edited by Type 0 Negative on
    edited March 2013

What I was trying to ask is, what specifically do you like about PwSurface for skins over the alternatives.

You are getting good results, so if it's just that this particular shader works well for you as in 'it just clicks' then that is fine :)

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:
    Very nice shaders.

Most of the pwShaders were sold to DAZ (except pwSketch due to licensing issues. Don't ask me what, I don't remember any more than that) but because UberSurfaceShader comes with DS, it gets much more attention. But the pwShader family is still in the store
    http://www.daz3d.com/software/shaders-materials/pw-shaders-bundle

I like to use pwEffect and pwSurface for special effects, since I try to keep postwork to a minimum.Bought just about all of them back in the day. Nowadays I tend to render in Lux and now I get to learn it all over again.

edited March 2013

I've taken this skin setting as far as I can and believe it can be made better, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Gedd said:
    What I was trying to ask is, what specifically do you like about PwSurface for skins over the alternatives.

You are getting good results, so if it's just that this particular shader works well for you as in 'it just clicks' then that is fine :)

Sorry I was walking out the door when you posted this and could not come up with a quick reply.
    I do not have an easy answer to your question. Kind of like, Oil paint vs Water Color maybe?
    quotes from the link I gave "What do you use pwSurface² for? pwSurface² is designed to be used for skin, but has many other applications as well."
    "Artificial Lighting helps it appear as though light is partially penetrating an object, or being caught by fine hairs."
    I like the "Artificial Lighting" and the different Specular Options; "Negative values soften the blend, spreading it over more of the surface, and may be useful to get the look of oily surfaces." As well as the different Render Options. "Screen lightens the surface, while preserving the darkest areas. Multiply darkens the surface, while preserving the lightest areas. Hard Light screens light areas and multiplies dark areas. Soft Light dodges light areas and burns dark areas, but leaves neutral areas alone. Soft Light is excellent for skin."
    crossposting now with rawarts sss thread

update, reducing the saturation values by half on all those different colors could be a good idea too
    at any rate, I'm going to leave this alone for a while, hope you all have fun and come up with interesting things
    genesis on the left has the settings shown, genesis on the right, saturation values on the colors are cut in half

reducedsaturation.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 92K
    1.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 93K
    Skin_Settings.jpg
    1806 x 2000 - 603K
    edited March 2013

This is coming out very nice. I played with EHSS and tried upgrading from that to US2 but while the subsurface was nice in the US2, the details such as freckles got washed out. This has nice SSS without blowing out the detail. Looking at the base of the neck is very telling as it shows a very nice interplay between the SSS, Difuse and Specular.

My experience btw is not a negative on US2.. just that getting the right mix was beyond me, and the people who joined in on the discussion at the time.

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

Wow, the skin looks great. Saved the pic with the settings and will try it out. Thanks for sharing.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I like pwSurface for the fact is has AO included. I do prefer to do AO by surfaces and not the whole scene like UberEnviro does. This alone makes me use pwsurface more than UberSurface/2.

Shame the interest was low in these, yes a real shame.

edited December 1969

That's an important point I keep forgetting Szark, have to be careful when mixing UE w PwSurface so the AO isn't doubled up...

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

LOL yeah and wonder why the render is taking longer than the sun will take to go nova. :)

edited March 2013

I made some images to use in Translucence Strength and Subsurface Strength.
    Save them and use them if you want, hopefully someone will make them better and re-upload them to this thread for others to use too.

1st image is V4 face: used in 1_Lip 1_Nostril 1_SkinFace

2nd image is V4 limbs 3_SkinArm 3_SkinFoot 3_SkinForearm 3_SkinHand 3_SkinLeg

3rd image is V4 torso 2_Nipple 2_SkinHead 2_SkinHip 2_SkinNeck 2_SkinTorso

V4_Torso.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 78K
    V4_Limbs.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 62K
    V4_Face.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 87K
    edited March 2013

This is where I am now. I've made a few slight changes and I think for the better.
    render time just under Five Minutes using UberEnvironment, 3 PointLights, 2 DistantLights and 2 SpotLights
    Be sure you select your figure in the 'Scene' Tab and then select all the skin areas in the surfaces tab.
    I would greatly apreciate it if anyone uses this and tweaks it and gets better results to share their tips.
    best of luck

Settings.jpg
    2000 x 1431 - 516K
    Select.jpg
    139 x 518 - 22K
    Example.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 128K