What consitutes good mesh?

Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
edited June 2017 in Hexagon Discussion

Going back a ways to the business of having as many quads as possible... I am making flat plane objects by tracing/modelling against a reference image on a thin plane in the center of the work area. Seems ok but obviously tedious, esp. since there are programs that do this stuff with two mouse clicks.

Anyway, how does it look to you?

I would like to know if anyone is using Photoshop CC, and can you export those meshes out to .OBJ or .DWX (?) for importing into Hexagon or Blender.

Post edited by Roman_K2 on

Comments

• I just go to fontspace dot com and use the font as TrueType in Hexagon. I'll get rid of the n-gons if the renderer I'm using doesn't like the OBJ export from Hexagon.

Image2.png
    740 x 514 - 20K
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited June 2017

Ok... I'll try that. Note that at the moment I'm not completely focused on typography, even though that's how I started, eg. way back when I had entertained the idea that letters might be an easier thing to model than people and cars and airplanes - ha ha ha! Silly me. I had so much trouble with 3-D over the last little while that I decided to try to get "2-D" 3-D (flat planes) under my belt, and once again lettering as a sort of "goal" looked like it might yield something useful, in addition to the learning experience.

I was actually hoping to be able to bevel the surface of the flat planes at some point... something like this gently rounded shield, say.

I noticed that when I double-clicked the shield all of the vertices turned to small white dots... what's up with that?

shield.jpg
    1366 x 722 - 200K
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited June 2017
    Roman_K2 said:

I noticed that when I double-clicked the shield all of the vertices turned to small white dots... what's up with that?

I don't know. I never double-click on anything while in Hexagon. I've never used the auto-selector tool. Just the object, facet, edge, and vertex selector tools. I do a CTRL+A if I need to select all of something.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    Roman_K2 said:

Look at the top bar. Notice which selector is highlighted.

Now create new scene, place a primitive object in there. Any one will do. Then double-click on that object and keep an eye on the selectors. Notice what happens there?

I think you're saying that I may have inadvertently turned "Select Auto" on... I guess I'm not up on all of the selection modes, and also Soft Selection which follows "Select Auto" in the Hexagon documentation.

Any particular reason why the verteces would be WHITE?

soft-selection-follows-Select-Auto-in-docs.jpg
    829 x 598 - 171K
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Because that's what they are set to in the preferences.

Soft Selection ist turned on and off in a completely different section of the UI and has got nothing to do with this. I don't know why you are bring it up.

edited July 2017

The two are side by side (ok, one follows the other) in the documentation. The docs specifically link the two as in the latter complements the former.

After reading the first entry I was thinking "well I obviously don't get this" and so I moved on to the next one which had a nice illustration... a bit easier to understand perhaps, but still tough - at least for me.

About them being white - but for most of my Hexagon work vertices are a larger (but still small) blue square.  Edges too... edges for instance only turn white (or there is a red loop) etc. when the program is waiting for me to complete a Close operation or similar action.

Ok, I've been wondering/a bit suspicious about my Hexagon installation anyway, since I don't seem to be able to do any sort of lasso or rectangular selection the way I can with the Geometry Editor in DAZ Studio say.  Unfortunately I don't have Hex installed on a second computer so that I can double-check. Might have to ratchet that one up on the list of priorities.

• Sometimes, just a video card/driver can cause odd shading behaviors with the newer Hexagon versions. Make sure AO is turned off and shadows/shading is turned off. If still weirdness in the graphics, trying using Hexagon in full screen or in a windowed screen. The new Hexagon doesn't snap to full screen on my computer. The old 1.21 version works great no matter what resolution my screen is.

AO?  What's that.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited July 2017

Ambient Occlusion. Personally I do not like it, I find it distracting so off it goes :)

Also, hover over the icons at the bottom of Hexagon, there are various options for AO etc.

nvidia.jpg
    1172 x 823 - 173K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on