Help... crashing on render

Hi guys,

I have a reasonable PC. It's a quadcore 2.4ghz Intel with 4gb of Ram (Running Win7x32), but I keep crashing out when running even a fairly simple render - one model and not much on the screen. I get the following error:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dz3delight.dll" at 001B:6258A3A7, Dz3DelightDll::DSlo_DetailtoStr()+882823 byte(s) and "The render has encountered a memory error and has become unstable".

Any thoughts as to why this would be happening and how I can fix it?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

I have a reasonable PC. It's a quadcore 2.4ghz Intel with 4gb of Ram (Running Win7x32), but I keep crashing out when running even a fairly simple render - one model and not much on the screen. I get the following error:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dz3delight.dll" at 001B:6258A3A7, Dz3DelightDll::DSlo_DetailtoStr()+882823 byte(s) and "The render has encountered a memory error and has become unstable".

Any thoughts as to why this would be happening and how I can fix it?

32 bit Windows and 4 GB are close to the 'edge' for DS...but, that error, while it may be that you are running short of memory, could also be indicative of an actual problem with your RAM.

I'd start with running some diagnostics...and this is the diagnostics to run...

http://www.memtest.org/

Also, what is running in the background when trying to render?

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

32 bit Windows and 4 GB are close to the 'edge' for DS...but, that error, while it may be that you are running short of memory, could also be indicative of an actual problem with your RAM.

I'd start with running some diagnostics...and this is the diagnostics to run...

http://www.memtest.org/

Also, what is running in the background when trying to render?

I'll run the test and see, thanks.

Nothing running in the background at all, except the ridiculous overhead that is Windows. Would rebuilding with x64 help, or would I also need to add more Ram?

One thing I did find interesting - my Windows experience rating shows 6.9 for 3d graphics thanks to my GFX card, but 1.0 for regular Aero graphics, which is odd. Would that be something that could cause an issue? This does report as memory though.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Windows 7 32 bit does not enable 3GB switch by default so you may need to do so if you have not done so already
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240617
    this will allow Studio to utilize 3GB RAM if it's available, otherwise it's limited to 2GB regardless of how much more their might be.

Adding RAM is not going to hurt. If you can render the scene with Studio not running by using the Standalone 3Delight it's quite possibly RAM. If not it may be a number of other things in the scene.

Graphics drivers should be up-to-date when possible but have no effect on rendering. 3Delight inside Daz Studio is strictly a CPU+RAM affair. Is your card integrated or is it a stand alone card with it's own dedicated RAM? If it is dedicated the rendering engine is not going to utilize any of that RAM.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Is your card integrated or is it a stand alone card with it's own dedicated RAM? If it is dedicated the rendering engine is not going to utilize any of that RAM.

But if it is integrated, then the RAM assigned to it will be subtracted from the total RAM. In other words, if the BIOS allocates 512 MB to the integrated video, then instead of 4 GB (3 usable) you'll have 3.5 available with 2.5 GB being usable by programs.

• edited December 1969

Windows 7 32 bit does not enable 3GB switch by default so you may need to do so if you have not done so already
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240617
    this will allow Studio to utilize 3GB RAM if it's available, otherwise it's limited to 2GB regardless of how much more their might be.

Adding RAM is not going to hurt. If you can render the scene with Studio not running by using the Standalone 3Delight it's quite possibly RAM. If not it may be a number of other things in the scene.

Graphics drivers should be up-to-date when possible but have no effect on rendering. 3Delight inside Daz Studio is strictly a CPU+RAM affair. Is your card integrated or is it a stand alone card with it's own dedicated RAM? If it is dedicated the rendering engine is not going to utilize any of that RAM.

Thanks,. that's very useful, I'll try the 3GB link yyou sent. I have a 8800 GTX NVidia, which I think has 768mb of dedicated RAM.

I didn't know there was a standalone renderer - where do I find that?

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

I also have been getting similar problems since Studio 4.5. It's like when you pull the plug out of the bath. I'll start a render and the RAM just fills up in a few seconds until the whole of Windows is frozen since it has nothing to work with. I then have to leave the pc for 20 minutes or so until Studio closes and Windows regains control, with a similar message being left in the log file. I've been trying to find some kind of pattern through trial and error, but it seems to be completely random. It can happen when rendering in draft quality a single Genesis figure without clothes, hair, props, lights or a background, and then I can load up a busy scene, with lighting, raytracing, uber shaders etc, and Studio happily chugs through the render. I haven't posted about it yet since I cannot recreate the issue at will and don't really know what I'm asking about! But I'd certainly be interested in any thoughts that might help point me in the right direction. These memory leak things never happen in Studio 3 or 4.0, both of which I have installed and use. I've always been in the habit of saving everything as I go, so I'm not worried about losing anything, but that doesn't stop it being an almighty PITA when it happens!!

• edited December 1969

Dr Stupid said:
    I also have been getting similar problems since Studio 4.5. It's like when you pull the plug out of the bath. I'll start a render and the RAM just fills up in a few seconds until the whole of Windows is frozen since it has nothing to work with. I then have to leave the pc for 20 minutes or so until Studio closes and Windows regains control, with a similar message being left in the log file. I've been trying to find some kind of pattern through trial and error, but it seems to be completely random. It can happen when rendering in draft quality a single Genesis figure without clothes, hair, props, lights or a background, and then I can load up a busy scene, with lighting, raytracing, uber shaders etc, and Studio happily chugs through the render. I haven't posted about it yet since I cannot recreate the issue at will and don't really know what I'm asking about! But I'd certainly be interested in any thoughts that might help point me in the right direction. These memory leak things never happen in Studio 3 or 4.0, both of which I have installed and use. I've always been in the habit of saving everything as I go, so I'm not worried about losing anything, but that doesn't stop it being an almighty PITA when it happens!!

Now that you mention it, I did try Diaz 3 on the same PC a year of so ago, and I could certainly render much more complex stuff than I seem to be able to on 4.5. I am trying to find the standalone renderer that someone else mentioned to see if that can render the scene I have been working on.

• edited December 1969

Hmm, it's not memory. It SAYS it's memory, but watching my memory usage, it crashes while only using a gig or so of ram, and there's still heaps available when it crashes. Weird and bloody frustrating :(

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Thanks,. that's very useful, I'll try the 3GB link yyou sent. I have a 8800 GTX NVidia, which I think has 768mb of dedicated RAM.

I didn't know there was a standalone renderer - where do I find that?

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1758895
    omit the part about needing to renew a license, my understanding is that is no longer done in 3Delight.
    Your other option is cycles in blender using mjc's (aka causal) script, all of this is free but start with the standalone 3Delight and see where that takes you.