Released: Universal Hair Shaders for Iray [commercial]

SF-DesignSF-Design Posts: 986

Store Page:

https://www.daz3d.com/universal-hair-shader-for-iray

A lot of cool hair comes with a few materials only, sometimes only 4 or 5 shades (just the basic colors are covered) and no add on is available probably. Or it has indeed more shades included but the color or effect you want is not there. Why not have a set of universal hair shades for Iray that work with almost any hair, even animal hair and fiber mesh hair (like the new Victoria 8 eye brows) or eye lashes? Wouldn't this be handy?

This set contains 24 different universal hair shader presets and lots of options to adjust the look and effect (like glossiness, translucency etc.)

You can apply the shader presets to any surface. It even works with older non Iray hair. The non Iray surfaces you apply it to will be automatically converted into Iray shaders. 

You can also use the presets on multi layered hair (hair that has more than one surface zone). Just apply the same shader preset to all surfaces or mix them for great effects, like strands etc. 

A lot of adjustment options are included as well. With them you can easily change the glossiness, translucency and bump intensity of the applied shades. 
Of course you can also change all values manually for even more adjustment and fine tuning. You can save your favorite settings as shader presets for later use. 

But there is even more. We have included some useful options for color mix effects and translucency mix effects. With them you can get creative and interesting results. Translucency Mix is can be also nicely for strains. 
It is not limited to the presets, just change the translucency or base color to any value you like. 

A short manual is included as well for those who are not familiar with adding shader presets. A step by step instruction shows you how to apply a shader preset. 

In the promos you can see how the universal hair shader looks on several different popular hair and also older (non Iray) hair and also animal hair and fiber mesh eye brows.  

This product is no Merchant Resource!

Shader Presets (Iray)

• 24 Universal Hair Shader Preset
  • 4 Bump Intensity Presets
  • 4 Glossiness Roughness Presets
  • 5 Glossy Weight Presets
  • 5 Translucency Weight Presets
  • 1 Fiber Mesh Eye Brows Prep Preset
  • 10 Color Mix Presets
  • 6 Translucency Mix Presets
  • 1 PDF Manual

Textures Included

• 48 Diffuse and Bump Maps (2500x2500)
Post edited by SF-Design on

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I love hair shaders.  I'm pretty excited that this can be used on any hair. Another tool in the quest for great hair lol.

• SF-DesignSF-Design Posts: 986
    edited July 2017

I do too. This product actually was made of a collection of shades I made for myself over the time because I often needed a color and effect that is not provided by the creator or they have really cool hair and include only 4 mats and no add on. (one of my favorite hair PAs does this :) ))  So instead of making a mat add on for each hair I checked if there is a way that they can be applied to any hair , non Iray as well. Well as shader presets it is possible, the usage is of course a little different than with mat presets since you need to select the surfaces manually, but I added a small tut as well for the ones who are not familiar with shader presets and how to add them. I also liked the mixing possibilities for multi surfaced hair. Depennding on the hair used some tweaking might be needed maybe, I tested with lots of the popular Genesis 3 hair and also several older hair. 

There are similar products available and there will be of course more in the future. But I think each of those and mine are different since all use different base textures and effects. 
    I created all the base textures myself the shaders based on so they do not exist anywhere else. When you use a MR for this type of product the chance is high that there is a similar product which uses the same ones. I made this NO MR because I do not want to have that mats in similar products by others. This would destroy the uniquness here. 

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,359

This looks great.  I am always frustrated by my coloring options for hair smiley

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited July 2017

They look great! Glad to know they come with a lot of mix and match effects. The more options, the better! I'm really liking that strawberry blond example. I have a couple characters with that hair color but finding the right shade has been difficult. Too many of the shader combos I've tried look pink. Yours looks very good.

And it's good to have multiple sets for different looks. I love OOT's Hair Repair, it's great if you're doing fashion models or fantasy stuff where the hair needs to be super shiny, but doesn't look right on a battle scarred warrior. IDG's Hair Shaders have a drier look and work better in that case. Phil's new Hair Lustre shaders are great for scenes with lots of light\lighting effects.

One thing I'd love to see are more wet hair options. Maybe there are some and I just haven't found them yet. 

Post edited by Llynara on

This looks great.  I am always frustrated by my coloring options for hair smiley

Thank you :)

Llynara said:

They look great! Glad to know they come with a lot of mix and match effects. The more options, the better! I'm really liking that strawberry blond example. I have a couple characters with that hair color but finding the right shade has been difficult. Too many of the shader combos I've tried look pink. Yours looks very good.

And it's good to have multiple sets for different looks. I love OOT's Hair Repair, it's great if you're doing fashion models or fantasy stuff where the hair needs to be super shiny, but doesn't look right on a battle scarred warrior. IDG's Hair Shaders have a drier look and work better in that case. Phil's new Hair Lustre shaders are great for scenes with lots of light\lighting effects.

One thing I'd love to see are more wet hair options. Maybe there are some and I just haven't found them yet. 

Thank you. Yes, I tried to include several mixing options for interesting and creative effects. Playing with translucency and glossiness can change the look a lot. 
    Hmm wet hair, I haven't have any product for that yet. Never seen any. Would be also cool :)

SF-Design said:

Llynara said:

Thank you. Yes, I tried to include several mixing options for interesting and creative effects. Playing with translucency and glossiness can change the look a lot. 
    Hmm wet hair, I haven't have any product for that yet. Never seen any. Would be also cool :)

I would love wet hair.  There are one or two wet hair props but that's it. 

SF-Design said:

Llynara said:

Unfortunately my product does not have wet hair included too. But I put it on my list to projects to consider to make :)

SF-Design said:
    SF-Design said:

Llynara said:

Unfortunately my product does not have wet hair included too. But I put it on my list to projects to consider to make :)

Oh I don't expect it with this set, it has plenty in it already and I would imagine that it would be a completely different beast lol.  I'm thrilled you are considering it at all I would imagine it won't be easy lol.

edited July 2017
    SF-Design said:

Llynara said:

SF-Design said:
    SF-Design said:

Llynara said:

Oh I don't expect it with this set, it has plenty in it already and I would imagine that it would be a completely different beast lol.  I'm thrilled you are considering it at all I would imagine it won't be easy lol.

Okay :) Yeah it would be something completely different and I think not that easy to have a good wet look there too. I played around a little already to see what settings could be used for this. But it would need different settings I think for different colors. Blond hair needs to get a little darker when it is wet, so other settings than for dark hair. Well, we will see :)
    It would be easier for a specific hair only but as univeral wet set , maybe I find a solution there. 

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535

Looks good! Tho It seems like you used the same light set for all the hair you show in the promo, does it work fine under other light conditions and does it have proper backlight shine when main light source come from the back or side of the hair like something below (not my render XD)? Would love to see that in the promos or test renders! laugh

Hi,

sure, I can make some test renders and will post them here with different lighting and lights from the back to show how it looks :)

edited July 2017

here are some more test renders with different light environment settings. 

the second one is with light from the back. 

hair2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 126K
    hair3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 234K
    hair1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 159K
    SF-Design said:

Woo! Looking great yes Thanks for the test renders!

EcVh0 said:
    SF-Design said:

You are welcome smiley Glad you like the results. 
    If you want to see another specific environment or anyother hair type just let me know please.

SF-Design said:
    EcVh0 said:
    SF-Design said:

If you want to see another specific environment or anyother hair type just let me know please.

Haven't had one up in my mind yet! But sure will let you know when I do wink

EcVh0 said:
    SF-Design said:
    EcVh0 said:
    SF-Design said:

Haven't had one up in my mind yet! But sure will let you know when I do wink

okey :) QAV is finished now, so it will be released soon

and here we go... released today yes

https://www.daz3d.com/universal-hair-shader-for-iray

Grabbed this straight off.  I wasn't planning on buying anything today but couldn't pass these up.  Can't wait to try them!

Grabbed this straight off.  I wasn't planning on buying anything today but couldn't pass these up.  Can't wait to try them!

very cool :) Thank you very much for your support of my products. I hope you like it and find it useful :)

edited July 2017

Used it on this one.  I added the bluish strands adn then played with the translucency, glossy roughness and bump setting.  I love the way it looks!

STEFANIA.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited July 2017
    That looks cool :) thanks for sharing your render. Seems you like to play with the features. :) I did that a lot while testing and depending on the hair really interesting effects were possible. I personally find that it can be used best with multi surface hair to mix different presets. But the Translucency mix can be also nicely used for effects like you have here. Glad you like it :) I am thinking about an add on maybe with more extraordinary colors and more mixing options.
  • Will your plugin work alongside the garibaldi hair plugin... ?

An add on would be super fun.  That hair does have multiple surfaces which is why the  whole things isn't blue.  And I do love to play with options lol.  This is going to be great fun.

An add on would be super fun.  That hair does have multiple surfaces which is why the  whole things isn't blue.  And I do love to play with options lol.  This is going to be great fun.

Hehe same here. The more options the better smiley Once I am done with the current projects I will create an extension with more exotic colors

Will your plugin work alongside the garibaldi hair plugin... ?

I do not know that, sorry. Never used the garibaldi hair plugin , could you provide a link pls to this product, so I could have a look

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Ohh this looks great. One can never have enough hair shaders. Wishlisted for now, but definitely going to get it as soon as I can.

Ohh this looks great. One can never have enough hair shaders. Wishlisted for now, but definitely going to get it as soon as I can.

Thank you, I am glad you like it :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2023

Did anyone post some 'how to' threads or videos?  I have the product and like it.  But some hairs I am having disappointing results.  Too shiny or too washed out.  I am confident that there are simple adjustments I can make to address those issues but it would help to see some more detailed examples.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,721

Diomede said:

Did anyone post some 'how to' threads or videos?  I have the product and like it.  But some hairs I am having disappointing results.  Too shiny or too washed out.  I am confident that there are simple adjustments I can make to address those issues but it would help to see some more detailed examples.

There is a manual in the product. It is more geared for a beginner user of shaders but maybe it will help?