UV Unwrapping (and ZBrushCore)

dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
edited July 2017 in The Commons

Hi! Yesterday I picked up ZBrushCore. Which I love. LOVE. But exporting models out exports out an untextured unpainted OBJ. Which, ok, fine.  I've been looking at 3d painting tools, specifically Substance and Blacksmith3d, which are both affordable on a month to month basis. But it seems like I need to have a cleanUV map before using them efficiently. Is there an easy, affordable way to do that?

Post edited by dreamfarmer on

Comments

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited July 2017

I have Blacksmith 3D & Substance Painter , I am not an expert but I do know that opening an object file in either automatically brings up the UV map for painting so both do what you need

In Blacksmith the original texture shows on your model (assuming you export a textured model from Daz or other software) - the attached image in from Blacksmith as I had it open :)

In Substance Painter the original texture does not seem to come in automatically but I have not had it long & have not looked to do that & I have not needed the original  - In SP you can't paint across the UV so seams are a problem 

I guess it depends on what you want to do as to which is best but both have free trials so you can test them before buying

Edit - To add a screen shot of a model in SP so you can compare

blacksmith.JPG
    1168 x 575 - 68K
    SP.JPG
    1405 x 581 - 71K
    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited July 2017

Seams aren't that big a problem in Substance (depending on if your using Substance Designer or Painter) and the few that we did get you just need to take it into a texture painting program and clone over it.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    frank0314 said:

Seams aren't that big a problem in Substance (depending on if your using Substance Designer or Painter) and the few that we did get you just need to take it into a texture painting program and clone over it.

Yes I use SP alongwith Blacksmith & fix any seams , I like both of them but I started with Blacksmith then subscribed to SP after a few months

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

If and when we get seams we use C4D to fix them but it's rare we get seams.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I know Blacksmith3d and Substance Painter can use _existing_ UV maps. But I'm talking about an original model made in ZBrushCore that I'd like to eventually use in Daz.... not one that started out as a textured Daz model. Blacksmith3d can do an Auto-UV but even they don't seem to recommend that for anything other than background objects (it looked like a bed of gravel the one time I tried it).

When I watched tutorials and did research on Substance Painter it looks like they also expect you to generate a UV file in another piece of software. Which makes sense-- most of the big modeling packages include that capability. But ZBrushCore is a wee little baby program and UV unwrapping and texture exporting were some of the things stripped from ZBrushCore.

I tried looking at UVMapper Pro, but sales of that seem to be suspended and the demo is useless.

edited July 2017

Sorry I misunderstood what you were wanting to do :(

I did not realise ZBrush core did not create the UV Map - Good to know as I was thinking of buying it.

The UV Map created from Blacksmith is not very good (even by my standards which are low ) - It ends up in tiny pieces everytime for me but this could be user error :)

SP does not create a UV map

You can create a basic UV map in this free software -  UV Mapper Classic - https://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html

Paid software; http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx - (I had the trial & this looked good but so far I have not made a purchase because I probably wouldn't use it to often enough to justify the purchase)

You could also use Blender &/or Hexagon to create the UV

Post edited by Tottallou on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited July 2017

Both Hexagon and Carrara have UV map creation capabilities, and can a good job (if you have either of them). Some other options designed just for UV mapping that may be a bit easier and more functional (or not) are Roadkill (free), or Ultimate Unwrap 3D ($49.95 - $59.95), and UVLayout ($100 - $300). Of course Blender (free) has a good set of UV tools, and Wings 3D (free) has UV map generation capabilities too, or Silo 3D (not free but inexpensive) has them as well.

Hope this helps!

Post edited by DustRider on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Thanks very much for the links! I've poked at Hexagon and the interface is just unintuitive for me. But I am going to be checking the rest out, esp. those available for under $50.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

I believe Silo is available on Steam, if you use Steam. Pegasus Modeler available here at DAZ for 39.95 also has a rather nice UV mapping function (pretty simple to use - video tutorial here), and has some very useful modeling tools for content creation as well.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589

I know Blacksmith3d and Substance Painter can use _existing_ UV maps. But I'm talking about an original model made in ZBrushCore that I'd like to eventually use in Daz.... not one that started out as a textured Daz model. Blacksmith3d can do an Auto-UV but even they don't seem to recommend that for anything other than background objects (it looked like a bed of gravel the one time I tried it).

When I watched tutorials and did research on Substance Painter it looks like they also expect you to generate a UV file in another piece of software. Which makes sense-- most of the big modeling packages include that capability. But ZBrushCore is a wee little baby program and UV unwrapping and texture exporting were some of the things stripped from ZBrushCore.

I tried looking at UVMapper Pro, but sales of that seem to be suspended and the demo is useless.

search hor headus uv layout  for doing uv work