generate mesh around vertex lines to make 3D lines like pipes

Let's say I make a sphere in the Vertex modeller. 

I use the key combination CTRL+SHIFT+F to unfill the polygons leaving only the vertices and the lines connecting them.

But I want to be able generate a mesh that thickens the lines so I have what looks like a sphere constructed from pipes.

Is there a way to do this in Carrara? Are you aware of a Plugin I could use?

Many thanks.

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

I don't believe Carrara can do this. It's odd since Carrara's tools share many similarities with Hexagon. If you have Hexagon, the Thickness tool will also work on lines.

There are several free apps that will do this, all of which are unmentionable here unfortunately.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    cdordoni said:

I don't believe Carrara can do this. It's odd since Carrara's tools share many similarities with Hexagon. If you have Hexagon, the Thickness tool will also work on lines.

There are several free apps that will do this, all of which are unmentionable here unfortunately.

why unmentionable?

I am pretty sure Blender can do it, it does everything else ........ if you know the keyboard shortcut cheeky

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Somehow I was under the impression that mentioning non Daz apps that have similar capabilities (even if they are free) as a Daz product is against the TOS.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

offsite commercial  links the issue

Blender is ok as open source and free

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 305
    edited July 2017
    cdordoni said:

I am not sure if there is any direct command to do this in Carrara. I was able to do some sort of quick pipe like strcuture from Empty Sphere using dynamic Extrude:

1- Select full object, 2- Apply dynamic extrude, 3- Select full object again, 4- Apply dynamic extrude again

Thickness can be applyed to polygons; we just have to try with very small values. Archi tools plug-in Velouté 2 can also create some sort of structures like that and alphas do help as well to hide unwanted surfaces.

SphereWithPipes.JPG
    1899 x 1013 - 196K
    Post edited by Samuel S. on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

something like this?

I just did the sphere selected the polylines extract around edge.. then deleted the polys and then added thickness at 0.07 

sphere tubes.jpg
    646 x 622 - 77K
    Stezza said:

something like this?

I just did the sphere selected the polylines extract around edge.. then deleted the polys and then added thickness at 0.07 

Nice, Looks pretty good!

• cdordoni said:

Thank you. I do have Hexagon. I'll try it there!

• I Samuel said:
    cdordoni said:

I am not sure if there is any direct command to do this in Carrara. I was able to do some sort of quick pipe like strcuture from Empty Sphere using dynamic Extrude:

1- Select full object, 2- Apply dynamic extrude, 3- Select full object again, 4- Apply dynamic extrude again

Thickness can be applyed to polygons; we just have to try with very small values. Archi tools plug-in Velouté 2 can also create some sort of structures like that and alphas do help as well to hide unwanted surfaces.

Thanks for this suggestion, I will give that a try also.

• Stezza said:

something like this?

Thanks, great suggestion, will have a go.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited July 2017

re: philemo's dynamic hair converter, could this 'trick' be used to make the tube-hairs someone suggested from the flats? without generating zillions of additional polys?

just a curious thought...

(thanks to stezza for the cool technique! - is that in carrara or hex, or ?)

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

in Carrara yes

mindsong said:

(thanks to stezza for the cool technique! - is that in carrara or hex, or ?)

--ms

Stezza said:

something like this?

Thanks for suggestion; I modeled and textured attached structure quickly in Carrara using the technique which you mentioned.

Carrara-Cage.JPG
    638 x 629 - 68K

cool, very alien like..... yes

Stezza said:

cool, very alien like..... yes

Thanks; I just play with Carrara tools for fun with my limited 3D experience and sometimes they end up something strange like Alien or Fantasy stuff etc.; mostly low poly game suitable objects or meshes.  Carrara's procedural textures does help too :)

Carrara-Cage-2.JPG
    1922 x 1038 - 245K
    Carrara-Cage-1.JPG
    1918 x 1039 - 219K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Stezza said:

something like this?

Cool.   Would your thickness be feet or meters or what?  I'm gonna have to give that a try.

Samuel,  kewl stucture.

good question John.... I dunno  

I guess that as my default setting is for metric so maybe it could be that but I'm just guessing. 

• Whatever I tried, the vertex modeller in Carrara simply wasn't the right tool. I never got real pipes, just some squared something that looked more or less like pipes. But I found out, that the spline modeller is a good tool for this task. And it has an advantage against the vertext modeller (later more on this). So the spline modeller: 1. Draw a circle as guide to place the origins for the pipes, center it.  2.Place the longitude pipes where you want them to be, with a diameter you think is appropriate.   3. Delete the guide circle   4. Jump out of the spline modeller. In the scene copy and paste the spline modell (do not duplicate it!). In the new, second spline modell delete all exept the one in the middle (preparation for the altitude pipes)  5. Apply torus to the longitude pipes  6. Apply torus (with the same settings) to the altitude pipe. Back in the scene rotate it.  7. Well...ok...but.... some altitude pipes are still missing....  8.Duplicate and rotate the altitude pipe (better "dublicate" not "copy paste")   9. Voila!   

10. Here is the advantage when working with the spline modeller (in this case!): it is nondestructive - you can always change the diameter, the amount, the position of the pipes afterwards.

When you take a closer look at pictures 5 and 7 you might notice that the pipe-rings are not perfect circles, in fact the smallest one is more like a square. That is a special "feature" in the spline modeller - the torus might not work as you expect it to do, even when you crank up surface fidelity to 5000. Solution: Add more points to the sweep path - the more and the more regular you place them the better the circle.

sphere-of-pipes.jpg
    1600 x 611 - 160K
    spline-modeller.jpg
    1600 x 652 - 114K
    edited July 2017
    wgdjohn said:
    Stezza said:

Samuel,  kewl stucture.

Thanks, I just wanted to mention that I also applied level 1 smooth to the structure as is shown in the image.

CageWithAndWithout Leve 1 Smoothing.JPG
    1917 x 1040 - 250K
    CageLevel1Smooth.JPG
    1908 x 1032 - 274K
    Post edited by Samuel S. on

Whatever I tried, the vertex modeller in Carrara simply wasn't the right tool. I never got real pipes, just some squared something that looked more or less like pipes. But I found out, that the spline modeller is a good tool for this task. And it has an advantage against the vertext modeller (later more on this). So the spline modeller: 1. Draw a circle as guide to place the origins for the pipes, center it.  2.Place the longitude pipes where you want them to be, with a diameter you think is appropriate.   3. Delete the guide circle   4. Jump out of the spline modeller. In the scene copy and paste the spline modell (do not duplicate it!). In the new, second spline modell delete all exept the one in the middle (preparation for the altitude pipes)  5. Apply torus to the longitude pipes  6. Apply torus (with the same settings) to the altitude pipe. Back in the scene rotate it.  7. Well...ok...but.... some altitude pipes are still missing....  8.Duplicate and rotate the altitude pipe (better "dublicate" not "copy paste")   9. Voila!   

10. Here is the advantage when working with the spline modeller (in this case!): it is nondestructive - you can always change the diameter, the amount, the position of the pipes afterwards.

When you take a closer look at pictures 5 and 7 you might notice that the pipe-rings are not perfect circles, in fact the smallest one is more like a square. That is a special "feature" in the spline modeller - the torus might not work as you expect it to do, even when you crank up surface fidelity to 5000. Solution: Add more points to the sweep path - the more and the more regular you place them the better the circle.

Cool; I will also try this option too.

• Since we're talking about it: the same method (spline) works for cages too. Align the pipes origins and import an ai. square/rectangle as sweep path.

cage.jpg
    640 x 480 - 108K

rock,  that's cool... I just don't get out of the VM often enough to learn much in the spline editor.

I was messing around to get something similar to the original mesh desired in VM using replicate earlier this year.  See Here for full description in my Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All thread.  I have the settings there and some more info... here is what I came up with one evening...

I ought to give Boolean a try to join them rather than just running the loops through each other... see if I can't cut down the poly count.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

if you have hexagon you will be able to just add thickness

Can you end up with nice circular spokes for a sphere or will they be rectangular?  Please provide some instruction as to what needs to be done... I'm Hexagon Illierate... I always seem to be able to crash it fairly easily... that's my fault mostly since I don't know yet what "not to" do or "to" do to have better luck.

Have you come up with a sphere that you have a pick of?  How long did it take to get a nice smooth object?  I'm very curious as I have also just tried in Carrara using add thickness... I think with some creative extra edges and even creasing some, perhaps a lot, and enough time I can come up with something I'd be happy with.  Giving it another go before hitting the sack.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2017

That's what I've made in hex

2017-07-13_1503.png
    995 x 932 - 289K
    2017-07-13_1507.png
    748 x 659 - 275K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited July 2017

Very nice.  I'll have to work harder to learn a few tools in Hex for special circumstances.  Hmm... I wonder If Silo can do it also... I need to get going with it also.

Here is what I just finished in Carrara.  I got in a hurry and haven't tried any creasing just yet. Details are in my modeling thread again... Here.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited July 2017

I modeled this construction within half an hour. I used sweep tool for the columns and I used Stezza's method for the roof.

Roof_view01.jpg
    720 x 967 - 1015K
    Post edited by Vyusur on

awesome @vyusur yes

Stezza said:

awesome @vyusur yes

Thank you very much!

Great Work!