Hexagon 64 Bit

I'm still wondering why we don't have Hexagon 64 Bit, and we seem to be stuck with the 32Bit. Could you please look into this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I'm still wondering why we don't have Hexagon 64 Bit, and we seem to be stuck with the 32Bit. Could you please look into this issue.

Thanks in advance!

It's my understanding from othe posts in the section that there is a private beta test underway, so maybe this has bee taken care of.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

It's not a trivial process to convert old 32bit to 64bit code.  Every 'int' and 'long' declaration needs to be inspected to see if it should be 'long long', every structure that includes a 32-bit type needs to be considered, and you need to figure out if you're storing 32bit values in your data structures that need, for some reason, to be 64 bit.  Your pointers get larger, which means the structs that hold pointers get larger, so if you're using buffers to provide space for N of a given struct, that buffer needs to be recalculated.

If your code was written before 64bit was really on the horizon, like Hexagon probably was, the range of potential bugs that you can cause is legion.  It's a really, really hard problem, and they have a really, really small staff.  So give it some time...lots of it. :-)

--  Morgan

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 305

I'm still wondering why we don't have Hexagon 64 Bit, and we seem to be stuck with the 32Bit. Could you please look into this issue.

Thanks in advance!

It's my understanding from othe posts in the section that there is a private beta test underway, so maybe this has bee taken care of.

It will be great if private beta can be made public like the way Unity Technology do with their game engine's testing.

• If I recall correctly from the launch event, Mac OS High Sierra will soon be dropping support for 32 bir apps. It's pretty essential at this point that Hexagon gets a 64 bit update. I'd hate to see it becoming abandonware.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

It's not a trivial process to convert old 32bit to 64bit code.  Every 'int' and 'long' declaration needs to be inspected to see if it should be 'long long', every structure that includes a 32-bit type needs to be considered, and you need to figure out if you're storing 32bit values in your data structures that need, for some reason, to be 64 bit.  Your pointers get larger, which means the structs that hold pointers get larger, so if you're using buffers to provide space for N of a given struct, that buffer needs to be recalculated.

If your code was written before 64bit was really on the horizon, like Hexagon probably was, the range of potential bugs that you can cause is legion.  It's a really, really hard problem, and they have a really, really small staff.  So give it some time...lots of it. :-)

--  Morgan

Add to this that if you use any libraries in your code then they also need to have a 64 bits version, or that part of the code won't be 64bits. And if they're not you might have to move to another library, which is definitely not simple (and supposes a 64 bits library with the same functionalities exists, of course)

• mach25mach25 Posts: 256
    Leana said:
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

--  Morgan

Add to this that if you use any libraries in your code then they also need to have a 64 bits version, or that part of the code won't be 64bits. And if they're not you might have to move to another library, which is definitely not simple (and supposes a 64 bits library with the same functionalities exists, of course)

sounds like its better to write it from scratch,than to spend many hours frustrated with the above+ I have experienced what you could get away with on old winxp didnt work at all with newer windows

ok you lose backward compability, but you could add a converter for older .hxn files to newer 64bit .hxn files and because daz has probably uses a render library , it would be cool to have the ability to testrender your model directly in latest  photorealistic 3d render inside hexagon, rather than first move/export to ds or whatever your favourite renderer you like

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited November 2017
    mach25 said:
    Leana said:
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

--  Morgan

sounds like its better to write it from scratch,than to spend many hours frustrated with the above

That depends on the program, but yes sometimes it's definitely more efficient to rewrite than to adjust. It still takes lots of time, though.

Post edited by Leana on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

I'd really love to add this back into my production arsenal.  I really hope that DAZ does fix, convert and release Hexagon 3.0 64bit at some point.  It does me little good to have the Hex bridge for DAZ Studio active since Hex goes crashy crashy all the time on Windows 10.  

• mach25mach25 Posts: 256
    RAMWolff said:

I'd really love to add this back into my production arsenal.  I really hope that DAZ does fix, convert and release Hexagon 3.0 64bit at some point.  It does me little good to have the Hex bridge for DAZ Studio active since Hex goes crashy crashy all the time on Windows 10.  

I have solved it with having hexagon running on an older xp box,but it will eventually die,I wish they put iray renderer in newest 64bit  hexagon, so you can testrender directly, there are already a button for much simpler rendering in hexagon

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

Yea, that would be very cool too.  I don't keep old rigs.  I upgrade the old one gets donated to a friend with a cleaned hard drive.... 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Yay!  Very happy.  heart

Leana said:

• timnaastimnaas Posts: 118

OK, I'm having some issues tring to istall this. The install manager keeps telling me that it cannot find certain files(see attached). I have had hex installed for quite sometime and really would like to try the 64bit version. Which has been desperatly needed for some time.

Not sure what I'm missing here or doing wrong. But the beta will not install.

Thanks for andy info.

Installing Hex 01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 159K
    Installing Hex 02.png
    1920 x 1080 - 152K
    Installing Hex 03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 146K
    Installing Hex 04.png
    1920 x 1080 - 135K
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

The Hexagon beta is 32-bit.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437

It all depends on their marketing strategy and goals. If they want a quick solution for DAZ assets to be production ready, then writing a good exporter or bridge for Blender and Maya would target both the professional and hobbist people. But, if they want their own animation and modeling software to be production ready, then this is the way to go. They need to improve both Studio and Hexagon to line up with the current technology. And so far they're growing fine in my opinion, but still need some more growing.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 2017
    timnaas said:

OK, I'm having some issues tring to istall this. The install manager keeps telling me that it cannot find certain files(see attached). I have had hex installed for quite sometime and really would like to try the 64bit version. Which has been desperatly needed for some time.

Not sure what I'm missing here or doing wrong. But the beta will not install.

Thanks for andy info.

Check-On all the categories. And Check-On the show hidden box also. Then you will see it (it's not in the same category as the content file). It doesn't matter if you have a 64-bit system/os or not. At least for Windows. Don't know about MACs.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • As of yesterday, 10/14/2019, Haxagon will no longer run on Macs (at least for those who have upgraded their system software). All apps are required to be 64 bit or they won't even open.