can i re-sell a daz account with all the content in?

13»

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

@Taozen: I read a commentary of the ruling and I'm pretty sure you'd have to have a pretty awesome lawyer to convince a European judge otherwise.
    You can find all EU directives here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm (Simple Search->Natural Number if you have the directive year and number).

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

DAZ3D is not going to a cloud based service. The new EULA is done so you can download and install using the DIM and not have to agree to a EULA for every product. The DIM was created to help those who were having issues understanding how to install content or just issues installing it period.

As for selling your DAZ stuff, DAZ3D is based in the state of Utah and therefore all Laws governing the use and resale of your content, regardless of where in the world you are, are governed by Utah state law and US federal law cause the content is being downloaded from the US, you did not buy it in a package at a store in your country.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,163
    edited February 2013

Mattymanx said:
    DAZ3D is not going to a cloud based service. ....

Hmmm... then what's this? Yeah, it's a year old but someone was thinking in the cloud 8-o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsCayDDzQM0

Also, cloud based doesn't necessarily mean that the application runs through the cloud. It can be downloaded from the cloud and simply validated on each use. Much less bandwidth requirement. Of course you still have the problem of network downtime preventing validation but it is essentially a cloud service.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited February 2013

Taozen said:

Well in the end it's the consumers who have the last word. If the majority refuses to use the cloud services, they won't be profitable. And there will always be alternatives, I'm quite sure that there are companies that will use the opportunity to make some good ones for those who refuse to shift to cloud based services.

Yes and I see finances and military not shifting, because of security concerns - because everything that is in cloud is everywhere in internet. Cloud services might boast iron-tight security but when big money are on stake, unlawful people will cut through everything, and cloud makes it easier to get hold on this data.
    But most of consumers only see then can get all CS 6 tools for $70 a month ($840 a year) for the whole team without need to spend $ 1,299 for a single license.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

more people will leave the $$$$ clouds Adobe, Autodesk,... and move into the opensource worlds like Blender and other opensource.

edited February 2013

more people will leave the $$$$ clouds Adobe, Autodesk,... and move into the opensource worlds like Blender and other opensource.

I really doubt that the graphic design industry will go from Adobe CS Photoshop to Gimp. And there is simply no good alternative to In-Design, unless you consider QuarkXpress which is ten times less fun to use.
    And while Blender is a nice and powerful application, it still simply can't do things that 3D Max, Maya - even Cinema - can do, especially if you consider various plugins available for those powerhouses. So I'm not seeing movie and games industry moving away from those either.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

creativemodelsbe said:

It would be nice if that happened. I like opensource but there aren't any open equivalents for Daz Studio or Poser. It would take a major effort to make them, and are there any copyright/patent issues with distributing software that can read Poser/Daz content files?

As an operating system I prefer Linux to Windows but the availability of applications means my computer spends more time runing Windows than Linux.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Maybe not completely but I'm pretty sure all major and important software like Adobe and Autodesk - and video games, which I play quite a bit - will switch to a cloud sooner or later.

I think Onlive proved that online games aren't as viable as people might like to think. The noticeable lag makes some games unplayable and the games are streamed in ugly low-res graphics which are additionally blurred by the video filtering. They've lost a lot of money and all of their original staff. It will be a long while before anyone tries to recreate that blunder.

The biggest problem is that should the company ever collapse, all the games you 'bought' using the service will be permanently lost. A situation which is looking ever more likely for companies like Onlive.

edited February 2013

I think Onlive proved that online games aren't as viable as people might like to think. The noticeable lag makes some games unplayable and the games are streamed in ugly low-res graphics which are additionally blurred by the video filtering.
    Cloud services doesn't always mean that the whole game is going through the cloud. Always-online DRM and Steam are pretty much already doing what cloud is supposed to do in sense of validation and redistribution. Sure, people are trying to fight always-online DRM but I'm not seeing Blizzards fixing Diablo III in that respect.

The biggest problem is that should the company ever collapse, all the games you 'bought' using the service will be permanently lost. A situation which is looking ever more likely for companies like Onlive.

Yeah, but that can be argued that same games will be "lost" when you upgrade your OS and no sane company would promise that their games will run ever and ever and ever. They'd weasel they way out through legalize, like they always do.
    Even when company isn't defunct itself, they can shut down the game servers, like EA does with way too many games, but I'm not seeing this changing any time soon either or causing them any sort of financial or legal troubles.
    (if you don't count my personal EA boycott, that is)
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

I really doubt that the graphic design industry will go from Adobe CS Photoshop to Gimp...

I think you are right for the industry. Businesses have to pay for the things they need to keep in business. But hobbyists don't and if they have to keep paying big subscriptions for everything a lot of them will probably drop out and find something else to do.

Maybe other suppliers will step in to fill the gap. The current set of hobbyist/semi-pro applications will become professional only and a new generation of hobbyist applications will emerge. And maybe these will be open source.

edited February 2013

I think you are right for the industry. Businesses have to pay for the things they need to keep in business. But hobbyists don't and if they have to keep paying big subscriptions for everything a lot of them will probably drop out and find something else to do.

I don't doubt that hobbyists will look for other alternatives, but my point is that unless the application already targeting hobbyists, and not an industry (like Adobe CS does for example) it is industry that brings the most money and a company will cater for industry needs first.
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    DAZ3D is not going to a cloud based service. ....

Hmmm... then what's this? Yeah, it's a year old but someone was thinking in the cloud 8-o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsCayDDzQM0

Also, cloud based doesn't necessarily mean that the application runs through the cloud. It can be downloaded from the cloud and simply validated on each use. Much less bandwidth requirement. Of course you still have the problem of network downtime preventing validation but it is essentially a cloud service.

That was an attempt to provide an online version to help get people introduced to DS. The content for it was limited and was only there to draw them in. Also it required Unity if memory serves and was thus limited to Windows and Mac users.

creativemodelsbe said:

It would be nice if that happened. I like opensource but there aren't any open equivalents for Daz Studio or Poser. It would take a major effort to make them, and are there any copyright/patent issues with distributing software that can read Poser/Daz content files?

As an operating system I prefer Linux to Windows but the availability of applications means my computer spends more time runing Windows than Linux.

I really doubt it. Blender is not for everyone and still has one of the worse UIs around. I admit that I tired learning Blender in the summer and was reading through a PDF course to help me out but the moment it got to camera movements and I saw that it was done via the keyboard and not the mouse, I stopped. There is no reason or excuse to use keyboard for camera movements. Unless I need to convert a Blend file to another format, I dont use Blender. And even when I do use it to convert, I do so to FBX cause it can do that a LOT better then it can OBJ. But hey, its just my experiance and opinion. I realize others use it and use it well.

GIMP is good but has a long way to go to match Adobe unless another company adopts GIMP and supports it like they do with Linux distros. Until then, I cannot see it matching Adobe. Would be cool though if it did.

Both DS and Poser use Open Format file types meaning anyone can program their software to support those file types. Its just a matter of whether or not they want to.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Autodesk's AutoCad is used in the engineering industry as though it is part of it. Unless some viable option would come close to such a user friendly software, companies will continue to pay for that software which at this time is currently $6500 I think. We still use an older version, 2004, because of the high price, but at some point when the city governments require it we will have to upgrade.

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

Autodesk's AutoCad is used in the engineering industry as though it is part of it. Unless some viable option would come close to such a user friendly software, companies will continue to pay for that software which at this time is currently $6500 I think. We still use an older version, 2004, because of the high price, but at some point when the city governments require it we will have to upgrade.

And companies become so accustomed to certain software that switching to new software is nearly impossible due to all their files being in a different format