Still waiting

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hey, I've beeen away for three weeks , what did I miss? :)

Did we get to play a guessing game yet?

Nothing.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

ah the curse of the rhetorical question :)

Here's something from Waiting for Godot ;)

“Vladimir: What do we do now?
    Estragon: Wait.
    Vladimir: Yes, but while waiting.
    Estragon: What about hanging ourselves?
    Vladimir: Hmm. It'd give us an e^^^%##ction.
    Estragon: (highly excited). An e^^^%##ction!
    Vladimir: With all that follows.
    Where it falls mandrakes grow.
    That's why they shriek when you pull them up.
    Did you not know that?
    Estragon: Let's hang ourselves immediately!”

― Samuel Beckett,

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    ah the curse of the rhetorical question :)

Here's something from Waiting for Godot ;)

“Vladimir: What do we do now?
    Estragon: Wait.
    Vladimir: Yes, but while waiting.
    Estragon: What about hanging ourselves?
    Vladimir: Hmm. It'd give us an e^^^%##ction.
    Estragon: (highly excited). An e^^^%##ction!
    Vladimir: With all that follows.
    Where it falls mandrakes grow.
    That's why they shriek when you pull them up.
    Did you not know that?
    Estragon: Let's hang ourselves immediately!”

― Samuel Beckett,

Best post in this thread yet!

On the subject of waiting though -- we can take some small measure of solace that Carrara isn't being developed by the POV-Ray crew. Version 3.7 has been beta for I-lost-count-of-how-many years. You want to talk about "artist-hostile" then look no further!

That said, if you like writing computer code, POV-Ray is also immensely powerful (I should probably try playing with it again now that I've learned so much more general 3D knowledge).

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

POV-Ray is where I got started, too. I re-wrote the main tracing code to use fixed-point arithmetic instead of floating point, swapped fixed-size buffers out for dynamic allocations, tweaked a bit of the code with assembly, and got the sample "Ionic 5" to render to 1024x768 at high quality in just over a week on my 66Mhz 486. :)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Near as I can tell; you are dismissing LightWave, Maya, Houdini, etc. simply because they don't play nice with the DAZ Content.Absolutely. That's got to be one of Carrara's biggest draws! Comparing Maya's modeling capabilities alone to Carrara's is an entirely different matter than comparing their intentional uses, for example. My point was that having ALL of Carrara's capabilities under one, quite stable roof, is a feat all to itself!

Alright - so I did a lousy job playing Devil's Advocate. Then again, very few forces of nature could breach the bulwark of Dartanbeck's Carrara enthusiasm!

(how was that for mixing up metaphors?)

Some people, who are mistakenly reading into Carrara's supposed 'faults', rather than figuring out how to work effectively and efficiently within such a powerful piece of software, they're actually looking towards the purchase of 3ds max and/or Maya simply to improve their rendering capabilities

Now I am wading in JM2K's pool...but here is where basic 3D education comes into the scene. You can spend a few hundred on Carrara (or nothing on Blender) or a few thousand on Maya. If you suck at modeling (and who didn't at first?) you will have varying lengths of time to get an ROI.

I do have a rather simple mind, you know

No more than I do! :lol:

See what I mean? That's a big "if". But it doesn't. Luckily for you, you're still happy

I should clarify things here. ;) As I learn more about LW Modeler, there are ways to work that are simply faster than Carrara. Sure, with effort, much of the same results can be had. There is an uphill climb at first but once you start to get it you can fly. Yes, the same applies to Carrara. But there is more to LW. Depending on your needs/wants that is where one must decide if the price difference is worth it.

I still like Carrara's camera movement keys better than LW.

I'm buying a bunch of modelers, filters and post work tools within the next week.

Nice! I wish I had the time to play with all the different tools and renderers out there.

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    POV-Ray is where I got started, too. I re-wrote the main tracing code to use fixed-point arithmetic instead of floating point, swapped fixed-size buffers out for dynamic allocations, tweaked a bit of the code with assembly, and got the sample "Ionic 5" to render to 1024x768 at high quality in just over a week on my 66Mhz 486. :)

:gulp:

I remain in awe of your coding skills. I never got that deep...though it might be fun to grab the POV source code and explore. I might even learn something! :ahhh:

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I like Carrara, I need to spend more time with it and get better with it,

I like how easy it is to set up a scene,
    I like the bullet physics (have a ball and chain avi I made floating around my harddrive here somewhere)
    softbody could use some work, but I can drape a cloth on something and it looks great.
    The texture room is easy to use.
    it has a ton of features I've poked at, at one time or another.
    and it renders fairly quickly.

I just don't like the modeling side of Cararra, it doesn't click with me. and Hex crashes on me more often than not.

got the free trial of C4D to play with, nice interace, price for the studio version was way out of my reach
    played with the free trail of lightwave but for some reason it didn't click.

Got Modo to try and I dunno, it clicks.. modeling is easy not exactly dancing for joy over the interface but it is configurable.
    its got some quirks, and one or two things I don't like.. but it has Bullet physics and does softbody very well. and like I said, for me
    modeling in it is easy.

Yeah, I'm going to be expanding my horizons as well. I'll never replace Carrara... I spent years trying to find something like it - and when I found it, it fits me like a glove. Somehow Carrara and I just became fast friends. Next week I get spoiled.
    Going to be trying out Curvy, as well as a couple of fun-based, lower priced, model-by-drawing style modelers along with Genetica 3 Basic along with my purchase of Project Dogwaffle Pro: Howler and a bazillion filters and plugins for that.
    Just some fun toys. Birthday present from Rosie. I've been a very good boy around the house, here... and I don't really need anything... but I really think, after watching a few episodes of: "The Daily Dose", excellent tutorials for Dogwaffle made by the actual developers of the software, that Dogwaffle, any of the software choices, even the $5 ones, would make for the perfect Carrara post work tool. Especially if the plan is to get a little less real (or a LOT) and more towards the artsy or painted style of look. But they also excel at enhancements for realistic work, or whatever style you feel within. This is largely due to the vast number of plugins already included and/or available for it. I'll be including Any FX for Dogwaffle, which is a pile of animation enhancements, transitions, rain and snow, animatable motion blur - and they use your graphics card for power - pretty neat stuff. PD Pro: Howler does a lot for animation work, hence my choice there. That has a robust particles system built into a paint brush.

Oooops... babbling again! Sorry. :red:

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    That's just plain awesome!!!
    Fenric, you frickin' Rock!!!
    edited February 2013

Garstor said:

I should clarify things here. ;) As I learn more about LW Modeler, there are ways to work that are simply faster than Carrara. Sure, with effort, much of the same results can be had. There is an uphill climb at first but once you start to get it you can fly. Yes, the same applies to Carrara. But there is more to LW. Depending on your needs/wants that is where one must decide if the price difference is worth it.
    Gars... Buddy,
    I totally hear ya, and I must admit my jealousy. I wish I had a copy of LW to model with. Well... I guess I've not been (ever) upset with the VM in Carrara. It just works. But I'm not Stonemason or TheAntFarm, 3d Universe, or SickleYield... (pretend that I just list off all of the awesome figure artists at Daz3d) So I', fine with it. SubD modeling PhilW style just works for me.
    But I really think that you're missing my point.
    You suggested my haste in stating that those big modelers are really not a suitable replacement for Carrara. I said that, and meant that, from the standpoint of easily using content. That's all. I don't think any of us really have only one software. Especially for creating models. But for grabbing content from a Poser runtime, tossing it directly into a modeler's environment and animating it, using it with custom models, and being able to tweak meshes on the fly - animate their textures and add effects and such... sure you'll see many cheesy results - but Carrara can easily perform all of that in it's bare bones state. No other software that I know of can. Too many words, but that's what I meant.

Edit
    Oh... and the fact that folks were thinking that the quality (meaning the actual appearance) of their renders would improve by purchasing 3DS Max, Maya, Lightwave, Modo... whatever. That's just not at all true - unless they know better due to specific render engine limitations/needs. But that's a different person. Good renders require a focussed eye, an artistic design, or, perhaps an accidental stroke of lucky light placement. Put a crappy shader with an inadequate light setup in Max and it'll still look like sh... um... poopies!! Also, thinking that by purchasing any of those named, that they'll know modeling better. Some folks here through this forum how under-achieved Carrara's Vertex Modeler is... without ever trying it first. Why is that? Man, I can see that the UV tools need some work, and we could really use some more of this and such.. but it's not as bad as what some people make it out to be.

Caveat: It can also be said that Carrara's modeler simply doesn't compare to the much more expensive alternatives, Like LW, for example - and that is absolutely true. I'll never say that nobody should bother getting a serious modeler because they can just do it in Carrara. But you've seen the PhilW Videos. Theres 527,396,137,438,964,234,765,043 and a half things that will turn out beautifully without having to jump applications - and no other content friendly application can say that.

I'm buying a bunch of modelers, filters and post work tools within the next week.

Nice! I wish I had the time to play with all the different tools and renderers out there.Yeah, I don't have extra time either. But Curvy is like a clay sculpt thingy... and it can bridge to Dogwaffle, I think. I want to try it. I've played a bit with Sculptris and almost got addicted. I had to slap myself hard in the face to snap out of it. Genetica, I think, will be more of a time Saver than a time expense... as with Dogwaffle. I'm getting other stuff too, like my symphonic orchestra writer and other such necessities... going digital, ya know.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited February 2013

Fenric said:
    3drendero said:
    Fenric said:

And the list forgets Shade, which keeps tempting me.

Shade 13 Pro costs 750$, ouch.
    Pro is needed to render above 4000x4000, get all import formats, network rendering and many other more or less needed functions.
    Supports Poser though.
    http://www.mirye.net/compare-shade-13-versions

C8Pro is 171$ for PC members.

Didn't say Shade was cheap, I said it was missing. He missed Cinema 4D, too, for that matter. And that list had some really heavy hitters on it: Poser Pro is $499, Lightwave is $999, C4D Studio is $3495 (Carrara still counts as a "sidegrade"), 3DStudio Max and Maya are $3500, and Houdini is $4495

It's REALLY hard to beat Carrara's price-point. Even if you add in every existing plugin from every vendor, you're only going to be up to Poser Pro's price.

So I dl'd the demo version of Shade. I must say it is *very* nice and I rather like some of its NPR presets (technical drawing color, for example). Unfortunately, in addition to being time limited the demo has other significant restrictions that prevent me from seeing just how good or bad it is for some things.

One thing I immediately miss is there does not appear to be *any* indicator for direction of spotlights, much less angle. I can't believe it doesn't have it or aiming them would be truly obnoxious, but with Carrara it is *right* there. OTOH, I think Carrara could take some interface/interaction pointers from it. The UV editor is, at least at a basic level, much more usable thanks to domain highlighting and some other features.

No genesis support (of course) and content is a *major* draw for me to Carrara. But I must say it is rather appealing, even at the price point, to have as an alternative. (I'm not rich, but I have more money than sense...) Now, back to seeing if I can get Carrara to achieve some of the render effects (or at least a clear process for post). Err. Dynamic hair is still simulating. Back to shader to see how *its* dynamic hair works. Wonder if it has issues with volumetrics and tails...

[Shade dynamic hair appears to be guide-based auto-created transmapped poly hair. While kinda cool and far faster to work with it has nowhere near the capabilities of Carrara's dynamic hair.]

Post edited by thoromyr on
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    But I must say it is rather appealing, even at the price point, to have as an alternative. (I'm not rich, but I have more money than sense...) Now, back to seeing if I can get Carrara to achieve some of the render effects (or at least a clear process for post). Err. Dynamic hair is still simulating. Back to shader to see how *its* dynamic hair works. Wonder if it has issues with volumetrics and tails...
    I would really be interested in checking this out, with the exception that I have already spent the past several years getting accustomed to what I can and can't do in Carrara, and developed a work style around what it Can do. Of course this work style is still, very much, growing as I unlock more and more of its vast selection of tools - like dynamic hair, for example. I realize its weaknesses and drawbacks, and consider them all really minor compared to any other way I've tried for working with content in this way. So Carrara has me ultimately sold, for now.

With my experiments in Carrara's dynamic hair, so far, I've found (in v.8.1) that I always need to change the physics settings to "Standard" rather than Bullet. 3D Lust gave me some great pointers in this post. But it looks like you may have seen that already. Oh well.. some great tips to refer back to, anyways. The test movie clip he provides is fantastic. My Jitter demonstration illustrates the volumetric issues as well as the jitters. Lighting effects and glow pass straight through without regard of the hair's existence. I was thinking of using a mask, or some such, to block that stuff - but I'm actually going to try an entirely different solution - keeping them completely separate - which should turn out faster results anyways. I'll be posting my findings in the Carrara Information Thread.

I still think that Dogwaffle is going to be a key element. Adding a less than $100USD pre-production post work studio, like this to Carrara should bring this whole world of 3d animation to a whole new realm, and I'm eager to illustrate the results by posting my discoveries in that. I'm wondering if there would be any possibility of a Carrara > PD Pro bridge. They have their plugin code stuff Right Here just in the case that Fenric wants to have a look. If it works, I'd be willing to cough up more than the anticipated asking price, just to assist in its development - even at the alpha/beta levels. I can pay with PayPal. Just sayin'

PD Pro: Howler 8.2 just came out sporting all new GPU support. The landscape maker actually uses a 3d mesh and you set the height and shape very similar to Carrara, except with Dogwaffles amazing additional tools. Since you can animate the terrain height map (well, as well as the map), it can produce running water, whirlpools, etc., wherever your painting skills can take you. It just seems to me that these two tools should be melded into one... or bridged together. Until then, I'll not have a problem passing information back and fourth in my own, inventive ways. ;)

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    But I must say it is rather appealing, even at the price point, to have as an alternative. (I'm not rich, but I have more money than sense...) Now, back to seeing if I can get Carrara to achieve some of the render effects (or at least a clear process for post). Err. Dynamic hair is still simulating. Back to shader to see how *its* dynamic hair works. Wonder if it has issues with volumetrics and tails...I would really be interested in checking this out, with the exception that I have already spent the past several years getting accustomed to what I can and can't do in Carrara, and developed a work style around what it Can do. Of course this work style is still, very much, growing as I unlock more and more of its vast selection of tools - like dynamic hair, for example. I realize its weaknesses and drawbacks, and consider them all really minor compared to any other way I've tried for working with content in this way. So Carrara has me ultimately sold, for now.

With my experiments in Carrara's dynamic hair, so far, I've found (in v.8.1) that I always need to change the physics settings to "Standard" rather than Bullet.

I'm using 8.5-172 and didn't know that so I've been using Bullet. Slow, perhaps, but it works.

3D Lust gave me some great pointers in this post.

I'll check that out, thanks!

I still think that Dogwaffle is going to be a key element. Adding a less than $100USD pre-production post work studio, like this to Carrara should bring this whole world of 3d animation to a whole new realm, and I'm eager to illustrate the results by posting my discoveries in that.

That's great if you're on Windows. Not so much for OS X. I toyed around with it when I still had a Windows box and, for my purposes, it wasn't a good fit. Some really neat capabilities and I certainly *want* to like it though.

edited December 1969

I have 8.5b172 going as well, but I've switched my hair test to 8.1, and they appear to behave the same way... just an FYI - at least on Windows.

edited December 1969

I have 8.5b172 going as well, but I've switched my hair test to 8.1, and they appear to behave the same way... just an FYI - at least on Windows.

As I haven't observed any issues with using bullet, I'm curious what issues you were having? My sim isn't for animation, just a way to apply forces to the hair, so things like flickering etc aren't an issue for me.

edited December 1969

I'll have to play with it some more. ;)

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm still waiting for the announcement that Blender Foundation has purchased Carrara and will release Carrender in Q1 2014!
    :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

The list wasn't meant to be comprehensive, just an example of how affordable Carrara is compared to others. If you use content a lot (and I use it a LOT) your choices are extremely limited, really, short of getting PPro 2012 and using plugins to move things to higher-end apps like C4D and LW. :-S

Meh. anyway.

edited December 1969

I'm still waiting for the announcement that Blender Foundation has purchased Carrara and will release Carrender in Q1 2014!

The list wasn't meant to be comprehensive, just an example of how affordable Carrara is compared to others. If you use content a lot (and I use it a LOT) your choices are extremely limited, really, short of getting PPro 2012 and using plugins to move things to higher-end apps like C4D and LW. :-S

Meh. anyway.

So I'm not insane? Am I not all alone in thinking that Carrara is really the best thing of its kind - because it stands alone? They call me a Cheerleader. Fine. But I find it easy to work in Carrara, Fun to work in Carrara.
    edited December 1969

Meh. anyway.

So I'm not insane? Am I not all alone in thinking that Carrara is really the best thing of its kind - because it stands alone? They call me a Cheerleader. Fine. But I find it easy to work in Carrara, Fun to work in Carrara.

Carrara has problems - I can easily crash it with some particle systems stuff I've tried, and posing figures is annoying, and the content browser is in dire need of search and better management... BUT..

*every* package I've tired or bought has issues. LW has the annoying dual-mode interface, Max is a resource hog and the built-in renderer is a pain to get looking good, Maya has a massive learning curve and is expensive and can STILL crash, etc. etc. etc. - in this case there's no such thing as a bug-free 3D application, period! Hell I crashed Houdini Apprentice a couple of times! :gulp:

For me, Carrara is the biggest bang-for-buck solution. My only other option would be Vue + PPro 2012 to get the content handling AND the landscape/environment creation and that would cost 2x more than Carrara itself (easily). :bug:

Sure I have a wishlist as long as my arm for Carrara, mostly involving fluid sims/smoke simulations and other VFX goodies.. but.. for what I need, at this moment in time, it's Good Enough(tm) and I don't have to fork over a grand for something else. FWIW, Carrara gives me less "cringies" (that sick sinking feeling you get when you open an app you know is going to frustrate you to death) than any other 3D app I've owned.

Perfect? No. Good? Sure. :)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

pssst Blender does fluid simulations

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Yeah, that is an option. But unless your prepared to move your work into blender you need a way to get it out. I don't remember anything specific, but when I was looking into fluid sims last year, blenders offering didn't look that appealing. Realflow is pricy, but is what I started looking at.

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    Rareth said:

Yeah, that is an option. But unless your prepared to move your work into blender you need a way to get it out. I don't remember anything specific, but when I was looking into fluid sims last year, blenders offering didn't look that appealing. Realflow is pricy, but is what I started looking at.

for animation you're probably right, but I seem to recall you could export the fluid Object from a frame and use it as a still prop in something else. I didn't run this at high resolution as it was a test, but still, its not bad..

splash.png
    960 x 540 - 231K
    edited December 1969

Carrara has problems - I can easily crash it with some particle systems stuff I've tried, and posing figures is annoying, and the content browser is in dire need of search and better management... BUT..
    See? Everybody's different. To me, posing figures in Carrara is true bliss. I like posing in Carrara even as much as I like animating in it. Big time. Poser and DS give me a major headache in both of those regards. And I also love the browser system over any other program out there. I catalog everything in their proper place, which works as its own search, for me, anyways.

I can absolutely see your points, though - especially with particles. I knew I was going to be rendering a lot of scenes that I have already optimized for speed and efficiency, and I still build an 8 core system with over 3GHz per core, and 16GB RAM in a very cooled case - not water cooled... but highly efficient ventilation. I built my machine around my work style while keeping Carrara's needs in mind. If I were to have a craving for particles, however, I'd have gone for a different system. My motherboard maxes out at 32 GB RAM. 16 is more than what any of my renders ask for. My cores run wide open - but memory usually maxes between 6 and 8 GB. I bet those crash-causing particles you've mentioned were sucking the life out of paging as well as physical. I'm guessing, but I have a feeling that it's RAM that feeds particles.
    The manual already warns us not to go too crazy with particles or we'll suffer consequences... But we do have particles that work decent, I think. I haven't messed with them much but the fire/smoke system that ExtruD was building for me was gorgeous in its alpha stage - and it even emitted its own light.

Also, yeah... again, I don't want to sit here and defend Carrara - because I can make it drop to its knees too! :) In my experiences I've been swearing at me more than at Carrara though! lol

My favorite software in the world has its issues for sure. I'm lucky enough where; what I want Carrara for, Carrara pulls off beautifully. Not without the occasional hiccup, crash, or user frustration - but I am far happier with it than I am any other emotion.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    Rareth said:

Yeah, I agree. Compared to Carrara's transparent globules, Blender's fluid sim is a joke.

Hey, someone once told me about this thing called "compositing". I wonder if you could use that to integrate an external fluid sim into a Carrara render.

Naw, too much work. Never mind.

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    Rareth said:

Yeah, I agree. Compared to Carrara's transparent globules, Blender's fluid sim is a joke.

Hey, someone once told me about this thing called "compositing". I wonder if you could use that to integrate an external fluid sim into a Carrara render.

Naw, too much work. Never mind. LOL!!!
    It's hard to breathe when you do that - but i love it! lol

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2013

Rareth said:
    thoromyr said:
    Rareth said:

for animation you're probably right, but I seem to recall you could export the fluid Object from a frame and use it as a still prop in something else. I didn't run this at high resolution as it was a test, but still, its not bad..

Use this for importing a sequence of OBJ files.into Carrara. One of the examples showing what it can do is a blender fluid sim.

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=21

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/gallerypopup.php?GalleryID=220&ProductId=21&Page=1

Compositing is another really good option.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited December 1969

Use this for importing a sequence of OBJ files.into Carrara. One of the examples showing what it can do is a blender fluid sim.

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=21

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/gallerypopup.php?GalleryID=220&ProductId=21&Page=1

Compositing is another really good option.

Thanks for the pointers, but as I'm not working on an animation I don't need that. All I need is something better than I've managed in carrara using other methods. Currently, neither blender nor realflow like the models I'm working with which means I'll need to create proxies. Off to do that (when I get the time, currently its lights out).

edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    Rareth said:

Naw, too much work. Never mind. LOL!!!
    It's hard to breathe when you do that - but i love it! lol

my web browser needs a sarcasm highlight plugin.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

New code today. woop. :long:

I see they are clearing out the bug track. I got a notice about my gripe about unsorted parameters from, get this, 16 months ago. Love the solution "works as intended". Took them 16 months to come to this conclusion? And typical for DAZ "works as intended" means poorly.

And for those dancing a jig because they see movement in the bug tracker, please remember DAZ clears out he bug tracker periodically, doesn't mean anything is being done with carrara.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

When I open Blender, my whole body shakes violently and I feel sick to my stomach and dizzy. :ahhh:

The UI makes me want to run out the door screaming, absolutely no part of it is intuitive, and the learning curve is like climbing the Alps. :bug:

That said, it's pretty powerful, but honestly if I really want it that bad, I'll pay the $99 for Houdini Apprentice HD and be done with it. :-S

I've tried Blender over and over and over and we just do NOT get along at all.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    New code today. woop. :long:

I see they are clearing out the bug track. I got a notice about my gripe about unsorted parameters from, get this, 16 months ago. Love the solution "works as intended". Took them 16 months to come to this conclusion? And typical for DAZ "works as intended" means poorly.

And for those dancing a jig because they see movement in the bug tracker, please remember DAZ clears out he bug tracker periodically, doesn't mean anything is being done with carrara.

you got news then - now for the big announcement !!!!!!!!!!
    coming today :roll: