Basic tutorial for transferring Genesis3 female morphs to Genesis8 female

I have used this method with success on a selection of the 1000s of shaping morphs I have for genesis3 female, I cant guarantee it will work with every morph and  there may be some strange results occasionaly but this is a good workaround for now. Genesis 8 is great, much nicer movement and posing in those tricky joint areas and loads up in a fraction of the time

This tutorial assumes you have a morph or morphs you want to transfer from Daz Genesis3 female shaping parameters or custom morphs to Genesis 8 female.

1. Open Daz Studio 4.9, load Genesis3 female, in parameters set the resolution level from high definition to base and subdivision level to 0 then find the morphs you want to transfer and add to favorites (click thr little heart on the top right of the morph dial)

2. Load Genesis 8 female and start the transfer utility. (edit/figure/transfer utility)

set as follows

Source figure - Genesis3 female

Shape - Default

Target - Genesis 8 female

Shape - Clone>Genesis3 female

Projection Options

Change Use near vertices to 1000%

Uncheck all except for morph targets

In morph targets > extended options use From source - Favourites , uncheck projection templates + overide existing and below uncheck Fit to Source Figure and Smoothing

Click Accept

You can now delete Genesis3 female leaving Genesis 8 female in place. Your morph/morphs will have transferred. If you cant find them, open Property Hierarchy and search for the name of your morph, Right click on it and click show in parameters

Your Genesis morph should show up, in this case under morphs>morph loader.

Dial up your morph.  

Your morphed Daz Genesis character should now look the same on Genesis 8 female 

nb: On furthur experimentation I have discovered that certain of the transferred morphs although seem to work fine on first load , when saved then reloaded they cause the hair and clothes to no longer fit and and the genital addon distorts the figures mesh. There seems no way of fixing this and I have to start fresh which is a pain as I cant save my work . If anyone has a fix for this Id be grateful (I have tried adjust rigging to shape to no avail)

Post edited by MariaTortillia on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

thank you

• Thanks laugh

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

WOW this is the easiest method yet heart

Thanks for sharing yes

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305

Did you do an ERC freeze?  That will cause problems if you didn't.

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305

Yeah I just tried it and I figured out the problem.  Only select morphs when you transfer.  Otherwise you might bring the original rigging with you, which is in the t-pose.

• CrissieBCrissieB Posts: 195

Hi Maria,

Will this work with full-body custom character morphs?

I made several G3/V7-based custom characters, with G3F Head/Body and Breast Control morphs. For each character, I used ERC Freeze to collect all of the character's morphs into a single, full-body morph.

This morning I spent a half-hour playing with G8 PowerPose, and I'm sold! smiley​ It's sooo easy to create complex facial expressions, such as a slight head tilt, one brow arched, other eye slightly narrowed, half-smile, jaw just a hint to the other side ... a look that conveys "Yeah, sure, you expect me to believe that?"

So, I'd like to convert my G3/V7-based custom characters to G8 characters. I haven't yet bought any G8 morph packs and -- even if I had the G8 morphs -- I'd rather not have to rebuild each of my custom characters bit by bit. Will the method you describe work for converting a G3/V7-based custom character to a G8 character?

Thanks,

Crissie

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited July 2018
    Target - Genesis 8 female

Shape - Clone>Genesis3 female

I didn't notice until now, but there are also clones for Genesis and Genesis 2 under that Shape options.  Which means you can also convert G2 morphs to G8.

And one other thing.  After the conversion, the morph limits are always turned off, and the minimum is set to -100.  Everyone may want turn the limits on, and set the minimum back to zero.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • CrissieB said:

Hi Maria,

Will this work with full-body custom character morphs?

I made several G3/V7-based custom characters, with G3F Head/Body and Breast Control morphs. For each character, I used ERC Freeze to collect all of the character's morphs into a single, full-body morph.

This morning I spent a half-hour playing with G8 PowerPose, and I'm sold! smiley​ It's sooo easy to create complex facial expressions, such as a slight head tilt, one brow arched, other eye slightly narrowed, half-smile, jaw just a hint to the other side ... a look that conveys "Yeah, sure, you expect me to believe that?"

So, I'd like to convert my G3/V7-based custom characters to G8 characters. I haven't yet bought any G8 morph packs and -- even if I had the G8 morphs -- I'd rather not have to rebuild each of my custom characters bit by bit. Will the method you describe work for converting a G3/V7-based custom character to a G8 character?

hThanks,

Crissie

I think its the full body morphs that cause the problems I described in the NB, This works fine for simple body shaping morphs as long as they dont interact with ​areas under hair or genital meshes, 

• CrissieBCrissieB Posts: 195
    edited June 2017

Hi Maria,

I think its the full body morphs that cause the problems I described in the NB, This works fine for simple body shaping morphs as long as they dont interact with ​areas under hair or genital meshes, 

Yes, I just realized that some of my full-body character morphs include morphs for a third-party G3/V7 genitalia add-on. I'm not sure if that add-on will even work with G8. And the G3F Head and Body morphs for face shapes (Oval, Square, Heart-Shaped) do interact with areas under hair. I guess I'll stick with my G3-series characters until I get the G8 Head/Body morphs, and then remake them as G8-series characters.

Thanks,

Crissie

Post edited by CrissieB on
  • MariaTortilliaMariaTortillia Posts: 47
    edited June 2017
    CrissieB said:

Yes, I just realized that some of my full-body character morphs include morphs for a third-party G3/V7 genitalia add-on. I'm not sure if that add-on will even work with G8. And the G3F Head and Body morphs for face shapes (Oval, Square, Heart-Shaped) do interact with areas under hair. I guess I'll stick with my G3-series characters until I get the G8 Head/Body morphs, and then rehat combined with G8 make them as G8-series characters.

Thanks,

Crissie

I concur, G3 works well although I do like the fast load times of G8, that alone saves me loads of time  , In the meantime I have started making my own morphs for G8 in Zbrush which seems pretty easy and I am getting better results than I ever have with commercial products, I have total control of the shapes I want, that combined with G8 is just the best yet

Post edited by MariaTortillia on
  • WhiteBWhiteB Posts: 1

Thanks a lot, worked very well and is easy. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited June 2017

full body you may need to adjust figure shape to rigging and run ERC freeze under edit mode right click on morph in parameters before saving if the shape changes where the bones lie, ie height, limb/body length proportions 

minor shape changes that keep body scales and proportions ie different contours would be ok.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551
    edited November 2017

For some reason, this method hasn't worked for me. I followed everything as carefully as I could, but no dice.

Edit: Never mind. I got it!

Post edited by Visuimag on
  • airunairun Posts: 25

There is still a lot of to Daz that I don't comprehend, and the terms and methodologies are still a bit foreign to me after several years (so my apologies if I'm missing the intent of this tutorial). I'm a bit lost here in terms of "Your morph/morphs will have transferred" and I need to locate them to dial them in.

I have two Genesis 2 figures (male and female) and both use their respective shaping/face morphs offered as a Daz Originals. My goal is to have these converted to Genesis 8, primarily, I just want the faces to be the same (or close as possible) on a Genesis 8 figure. Does your method achieve this or is it providing a different end goal?

After I followed the steps, and clicked Accept, it ran through a series of processes, and once finished, there wasn't any change. As far as searching for the morphs as you mentioned, there are dozens of controls I used to tweak the nose, eyes, etc, so I'm not sure about searching for them since the Genesis 8 has similar face morph controls.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

• There is still a lot of to Daz that I don't comprehend, and the terms and methodologies are still a bit foreign to me after several years (so my apologies if I'm missing the intent of this tutorial). I'm a bit lost here in terms of "Your morph/morphs will have transferred" and I need to locate them to dial them in.

I have two Genesis 2 figures (male and female) and both use their respective shaping/face morphs offered as a Daz Originals. My goal is to have these converted to Genesis 8, primarily, I just want the faces to be the same (or close as possible) on a Genesis 8 figure. Does your method achieve this or is it providing a different end goal?

After I followed the steps, and clicked Accept, it ran through a series of processes, and once finished, there wasn't any change. As far as searching for the morphs as you mentioned, there are dozens of controls I used to tweak the nose, eyes, etc, so I'm not sure about searching for them since the Genesis 8 has similar face morph controls.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

This transfers the morph dials, you will have to go through them and put them back to the same places as the dials on your genesis 3 figure. 

A way around this is to save your character shape on Genesis 3 as a full character morph and transfer that over as a single dial.

You can find a simple tutorial on creating a morph dial here;

http://www.digi-dotz.com/index.php/free-poses/tutorials/daz-studio-tutorials/47-morph-in-daz-studio

• Maria, your tutorial just saved me hours of hair-pulling. May your path be always littered with flowers and kittens, and puppies and candycanes.

• Just make sure the puppies don't try to eat the candycanes.  :D

• Could be worse, they could eat the kittens x_x

• Bruno AcciolyBruno Accioly Posts: 22
    edited July 2018

MariaTortillia

Hi there,

Would this method work converting a morph from Genesis 8 to Genesis 3?

I am trying to convert the Felton puppet morph with no success I don´t really know why.

Thanks

convert.jpg
    1007 x 757 - 161K
    Post edited by Bruno Accioly on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited July 2018

I don't know if this applies to you, but not all morphs are created the same.  Some morphs have things called "formulas" embedded in them.  I think they're related to full body morphs.  I don't know what creates them or if they're transferrable or not.  But, you probably need to take a closer look at what's inside your morph file to see what's going on.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Dave230 said:

I don't know if this applies to you, but not all morphs are created the same.  Some morphs have things called "formulas" embedded in them.  I think they're related to full body morphs.  I don't know what creates them or if they're transferrable or not.  But, you probably need to take a closer look at what's inside your morph file to see what's going on.

Formulas are the ERC links between properties, so if a morph is driven by or drives another property it will have one or more formulas in its asset definition.

• Reverse process is possible? I would like to transfer G8 morphs to G3. Please Help.

• Kevlar31Kevlar31 Posts: 63

I know that I am late to the party, but, thank you MariaTortillia for this very useful tutorial. I have successfully changed a number of my own characters using this method. However, I was wondering the same thing as rbrunodesign, can you reverse the process and transfer G8 morphs to G3? I would like the flexibility to be able to use a G3F clone if I need / want my character/s to wear say V3 or V4 clothes in a certain scene.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    I'm even later to the party than Kevlar31. This tutorial looks good, but after trying it for several hours, I still haven't located the transferred morphs. I'm following the instructions to the letter, but no luck. Any ideas?
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,739

6 years ago.... You just search the morphs' Names / Lables from Parameters pane, could not find them?

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited July 2023
    crosswind said:

6 years ago.... You just search the morphs' Names / Lables from Parameters pane, could not find them?

Nope. I've found some videos by WP Guru that explain a process that is working for me, so until I figure out why GenX isn't working anymore on my system, I can transfer older morphs to Genesis 3. XTransfer is working fine for me, so going from G3 to G8 isn't a problem, and I can use what I've learned to transfer from G8 to G9 if I need to.
    Post edited by riftwitch on