CCMP Year 1: Vote for your favorite Story Line

13»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Man... this is a really good concept, when you read through it. I really like this little duck. The Geese will be a lot of fun too.
    BTW, what's the dude and coin thing. Is that part of the duck thing? I'm lost.

edited December 1969

mmoir said:
    Hey ,
    Here is my attempt at mixing the 2 stories together in storyboard form. I am far from a creative writer but I think this works , let me know what you think.
    Why, did you want them merged? Or should we just work on both? Seems to be enough interest going for both?
    I like what you've done, so perhaps doing this would actually be doing story#1, with Going South as the first episode. Anyways, I'm really pumped up for Going South. Is it going to be a Cutsie movie or more ... hmmm should probably go for like a cute 3d... Has this been decided?
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited February 2013

Dartanbeck,
    Nothing has been decided yet but there seemed to be not that much interest so I thought merging the alien story would pique the interest of the sci-fi people and they would be more willing to help.
    The man with the coin(easy come easy go) storyboard is just a practice or dry run for the larger film to help iron out the process
    Mike

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited February 2013

Hey Dartanbeck,
    If you check out the first post in the thread at the attached link you will find the assets we have got. Basically we are looking for a walk cycle for the "Man" model , so rig and animate him. I will post the storyboard for this dry ren clip shortly.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15703/

and here is the storyboard for the "Easy Come Easy Go" dry run clip we are doing.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15162/

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited December 1969

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply ;)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Aaah - a nibble from an animator:

Strike! Reel in slowly and get him on board - this is a big fish to catch:)

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Dartenbeck-- and everyone ---else to kind of recap the community movie progression.

What we had done at first was come up with a few ideas for stories. Then Mcguiver came forward and said he had started a animation idea with some ducks --His story was "going south" . He also had done some nice work on a couple of duck models. Seeing these models as making a great start I took his movie idea and added a little detail to the story to what we currently had been voting on here along with three the other stories. Then Rashad came along and kind of organized things and setup "jobs" for people in the production of the movie --at least a start to get some organization. He and Mmoir are the producers. We had to start somewhere. So then being a community project we decided to have a vote on the stories we had had so far and hence this poll set up by daz forum moderators --(thanks again)

Concurrently - the idea came along that we really needed some "practice" on how to work together to make a community movie so we created the first shot practice movie thread of "easy come easy go" . Mmoir had put out the wristwatch as some modeling practice and some folks chimed in. We also worked out some storyboards and some ideas how to use Carrara for storyboarding. This is when Antara made some sketches of the alien head as who knew at the time if we were not going to be making an alien movie. Then Mmoir made a boy character and Wendycatz added face morphs . This guy will be used for the "easy come easy go " first shot practice animation. Then a coin was made and some folks worked on getting more animation working on the dude for easy come easy go.

So watching the voting eagerly in this thread ---we had been hoping for more votes and participation. And so we are just trying to get more participation at this time ....and the "easy come easy go" first shot movie is a great way to start on things until we solidify the movie idea. I think the folks we have on board are great and willing to work hard but we really want to do something special. Not just do it.

So some of the folks have been particpating and some leading in a major way like Mmoir and some just helping, making models, storyboard, rigs etc and some just commenting or making story ideas and some just giving advice but still ---its all good just to participate;
    So I have tried to run through all the threads of which there are too many --(smiles ) and here is the list of folks who have participated in at least some fashion . If I missed anyone let me know and I apologize.

Rashad
    Mmoir
    Antara
    Mcguiver
    Headwax
    3dage
    Roygee
    wendycatz
    Dartanbeck
    emeyer
    ckalan1
    RoguePilot
    3dview
    tugpsx
    varsel
    Ooseven
    Frank_
    bigh
    evilproducer
    joemama2000
    3doutlaw
    3drendero
    BC Rice
    petef
    Age of Armour
    stu sutcliffe
    ErikAtMapache
    gaffer2
    holly wetcircuit
    CarltonMartin
    de3an
    booksbydavid
    Jay_nola
    dbuchter
    curved design

So not exactly a huge list but not a meager one either. Hopefully we get more as this progresses forward. ANd more folks become more actively particpating. It is a community project. So progress is not going to be in a straight line always----and sometimes we will need to go back to the start as it were if necessary -----its just the nature of the beast. The key is participation and support and the willingness to work together.

rich

So it may seem a little chaotic what we have been doing so far --so I hope this helps a little to see what we are trying to do.

Post edited by 3dView on
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,
    Here is more files that I updated the box site with.

https://www.box.com/s/y3walcf21qd7s08i4so2 Coin model by Roygee
    https://www.box.com/s/aelcpymmdgmlpnh0ewnh Terrain Model by mmoir
    https://www.box.com/s/x0hjyhw8xwx0yv09ev16 Watch Update 3dage
    https://www.box.com/s/jabpmbdvixy0hvu53bj9 Man Model update Fix pocket on back by mmoir

mmoir said:
    Hey Dartanbeck,
    If you check out the first post in the thread at the attached link you will find the assets we have got. Basically we are looking for a walk cycle for the "Man" model , so rig and animate him. I will post the storyboard for this dry ren clip shortly.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15703/

and here is the storyboard for the "Easy Come Easy Go" dry run clip we are doing.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15162/

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Aaah - a nibble from an animator:

Strike! Reel in slowly and get him on board - this is a big fish to catch:)

lol :red:
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

now, if you could just incorporate Rosie into the storyline, you will have him hook, line and sinker!

edited December 1969

3dView said:
    So it may seem a little chaotic what we have been doing so far --so I hope this helps a little to see what we are trying to do.
    Thanks for this, Rich. You were able to read my plea, huh! Thanks.
    I downloaded the stuff. I've been browsing all along, at watching the poll as you have... eagerly awaiting more. But looking at this list of folks just makes me smile - because it's perfect to get this thing going. Some of you may be new, and others just may not know, but there is a great mix of really smart, really ambitious, really helpful, really supportive people on board - which is the perfect way to begin.

Did I say I got all the stuff? I'm in a huge hurry as all of my family is taking Rosie an I out for Birthday Dinner, only this year, since they're coming out here - in the sticks - instead of us driving forever, they've made it Birthday Lunch instead. Can't wait to see everyone again!

I'll chime in soon. I'm not sure if the man model I have is the one Wendy or Roy rigged already, or if I get to try my hand - for the first time - at rigging in Carrara. But I'm ready to drop him into the scene and start uploading some video footage for our directors to play with, comment on, keep, junk... Don't ever be afraid to tell me - "Hey... I just want a Head Shot... A Head Shot!!!!" (got that one from an old Daffy Dick shot) but... I'm just sayin'. If I crank out 20 video clips and it turns out that none of them work because of one-to-several details, or whatever... I don't mind. I'll do them all over again. Did I ever mention that I Love this?!!!

edited February 2013

now, if you could just incorporate Rosie into the storyline, you will have him hook, line and sinker!
    What?
    I could do that...

lol
    Anyways - really quick...
    I haven't seen (as I recall, anyhow) McGuyver's ducks. Are they cool? Are they done or need some tweaks - are they rigged, etc.,
    Although I know my priorities lie with getting Easy going, I'm interested ion seeing those ducks. As mentioned, there are far too many threads going - if anyone knows where there's a pic of those ducks...
    and How the H. E. Double Toothpicks do I spell McGuyver? lol
    I've been daydreaming some great close-up expressions animations with a really cute Mallard Duck toon - but with a totally realistic surrounding environment. I say toon, but I'd like to try some other way of getting that sort of appearance - as I wanted a very realistic eye surface detail. Anyways... gotta go - Rosie will kick!
    Note the eyes

Doc1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 360K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,
    Here is a link to the duck image of McGuiver.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=66&aid=44091_KmYzrKfhcug9oAVyB2uV

edited December 1969

3dView said:
    Thanks for this, Rich. You were able to read my plea, huh! Thanks.
    I downloaded the stuff. I've been browsing all along, at watching the poll as you have... eagerly awaiting more. But looking at this list of folks just makes me smile - because it's perfect to get this thing going. Some of you may be new, and others just may not know, but there is a great mix of really smart, really ambitious, really helpful, really supportive people on board - which is the perfect way to begin.

Did I say I got all the stuff? I'm in a huge hurry as all of my family is taking Rosie an I out for Birthday Dinner, only this year, since they're coming out here - in the sticks - instead of us driving forever, they've made it Birthday Lunch instead. Can't wait to see everyone again!

I'll chime in soon. I'm not sure if the man model I have is the one Wendy or Roy rigged already, or if I get to try my hand - for the first time - at rigging in Carrara. But I'm ready to drop him into the scene and start uploading some video footage for our directors to play with, comment on, keep, junk... Don't ever be afraid to tell me - "Hey... I just want a Head Shot... A Head Shot!!!!" (got that one from an old Daffy Dick shot) but... I'm just sayin'. If I crank out 20 video clips and it turns out that none of them work because of one-to-several details, or whatever... I don't mind. I'll do them all over again. Did I ever mention that I Love this?!!!
    you would only have mine I am afraid as the others have not uploaded their rigs to share .

edited December 1969

mmoir said:
    Dartanbeck,
    Here is a link to the duck image of McGuiver.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=66&aid=44091_KmYzrKfhcug9oAVyB2uV

I like the ducks. They look really good - and also would be great for animating expressions, which I'm sure was his idea fromthe start. Do they qualify - are they Carrara models? Are they rigged (not a big deal, either way, just asking)? And... really important to be honest about this one, McGuiver, would it bother you if I were to take a few 'liberties' towards individualizing them?
    Beautiful models, though.
    edited February 2013

Hey Dartanbeck ,
    Here is my rig aligned with the Man model but not attached. I have an issue with the left hand's IK Target helper as i get flipped , somehow when I duplicate the rlight arm skeleton to the left side it messes up the IK chain or something. I have bones for the eyes/jaw and a couple for the chest area which helps when moving the arms etc. Hope this helps

I just updated the file , here is the new link..

https://www.box.com/s/luybw7czjejh7puiw8vx

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Mike.

edited December 1969

just bumping this up so maybe some more folks might think of particpating-----Its probably about time we either decide to use the winner here or work further on another story.

rich

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

some thing to shoot for -

walk cycle
    http://youtu.be/hlWgHYNfuac

great animation
    http://youtu.be/X-cNFyvXiY8

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Delurking. I think the problem here is trying to choose between apples and oranges: the duck story is a story, while the alien visitors is only a story idea lacking a clear protagonist and arc.

Eg. If one alien desperate because his world is about to be destroyed is being shown all kind of possible new homes on Earth by a sympathetic human, now you have characters to hang on to and care about, urgency because of imminent disaster, and a possible arc--success or failure of the search (ie comedy or tragedy).

Obviously far better stories could be created out of the initial idea, but you get the idea. I'm sure there are no shortage of writers around here, but I volunteer to help with that stage if you need someone.

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited February 2013

Check this out. And other toons like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXvsGe657Q

There are many toons with ducks and a bunch about aliens.

Not a bad idea but I agree there needs to be a story.

Craig

Post edited by ckalan1 on
    edited December 1969

There is no doubt that story is critical -----at least if you are trying to make something special. As is the hope with the community movie project.
    It does take some effort to come up with a story but it always pays off in the end. And actually based on some of the various displays of talent here with Carrra ---I think we are really not that limited by technical issues as much as I personally might have thought ---so I for one will start giving it another go .

rich

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Nice job Wendy. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

To whom it may concern,
    I felt that it would be a good idea to consolidate links to all of the CMP threads into one page. You can go there directly by following this link or simply go to the stickied Carrara Information Thread where you'll find a link at the top of the first post.
    Hope this helps - and hope to be helping sometime soon.

Dartanbeck

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

To whom it may concern,
    I felt that it would be a good idea to consolidate links to all of the CMP threads into one page. You can go there directly by following this link or simply go to the stickied Carrara Information Thread where you'll find a link at the top of the first post.
    Hope this helps - and hope to be helping sometime soon.

Dartanbeck

come back in March ;-)

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2013

So I'm curious...

How is the Carrara Community doing on the super awesome movie project? Personally, i didn't think the effort would last more than a few weeks, but to my surprise it seemed to surpass that by a week or two.

But now it seems the body is starting to turn cold and rigid...not even much twitching going on.

So has all the work gone underground via PM's and stuff, or is the community not as much a community as everyone thought? I just hope it doesn't go the same way as all the other similar projects that have been started here.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Joe, I think to some degree you may be right --at least to a point. I think there are some of the core folks still working on things or brushing up some skills or learning new ones even especially in regards to animating characters.

I for one have been doing that---while also trying to conjour up another story as maybe that kind of seperated the scarce resources into seperate camps having this voting going on. And 34 votes was a little weak I admit-- another indication perhaps of a lacking storyline.

I do not think the idea of the Community Movie Project has been dropped per se but giving folks rl constraints ---this would be pretty normal until a definite project got started. Also I think this buzz about a carrara annoucement in february has sort of distracted many as well.

All that said --Hopefully we regain some momentum.

Rich

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

I've been away for a bit. But I will be back full swing soon. Seems there is a lot of fun to be had along the way with this, the threads are very revealing. The test project has kind of shifted focus away from the original goal, which might not be a bad thing. For now I think we can allow this polling thread to mature and focus on the test project and its completion.

Time to get the ball rolling. Time for talk is about done.

edited March 2013

hey Rashad --good to see your returning to the project. I think the excitement of 8.5 in summer and 9.0 end of year or beginning of next has brought a very nice positive feeling back here. Also there is a new push to get the Carrara Cafe to be even more useful and fun --so that's neat too. So things are starting to get going in very good directions as far as Carrara is concerned.

I also have been thinking of some additional story ideas but yet to hammer one out that made it from a- z and still be compelling. Smiles. Anyhow good to see soon you will have more time to spend on the community Movie project.

Rich

Post edited by 3dView on