Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2017

@barbult  Just sent you the gift card code via PM. Let me know if it doesn't work, but only got one this time instead of bogus duplicates, so should be fine. Seems like that double gift card thing only happens with higher amounts. (where one doesn't work.) 

BTW, this pose converter freebie (your G3 poses work with V8) is getting good reviews. ITS FREE. To do it as a custom script btw, in Content Library, right click on the image in the studio when you open it (I put in Scripts, easy to find) and not the line item description. (You know, where the character heads show when you click on Characters. Click on that image there, and not over in the folders.) 

You'll see Create Custom Script at the bottom of the popup. Then it's in your toolbar. Neat!

Post edited by Novica on
  • SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    edited June 2017

I know many of you like her, but I just don't find V8 atttactive...  Some of my problems with her are: eyebrows too close together, too dark and thick, unattractive face, shoulders too thin for body, arms look weird, waist too wide, almost as wide as hips, boobs too small, she looks about 40. All this is fine for an ancillary character but I think, of all characters, Victoria should be the ideal woman, gorgeous, like V7. I have zero interest in this character, and I'm sure she'll end up free eventually anyway.

I agree about the shoulders looking strangely small, which makes her head look too large. Arms look 'off'

I wanted to love her but I don't even like her.

I will most likely get her for the coming PA's characters based off of her, but if she was just a regular PA's character, I would never have looked at her twice.

Post edited by Summerhorse on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have to agree that the expression on G8F are fantastic.  But I still can't justify buying a bunch of stuff or characters for her.  I am very very pleased with how well the G3F stuff transfers over especially the skins. I bought the base morph packs but that is going to have to do for now.

• NathNath Posts: 2,718

I do like the basic G8F figure and the expressions, but I'm going to limit myself to the morph packs, maybe the teeth, and pick up a few of the utilities once they come around. Between Skinbuilder, Autofit and such, bringing over morphs from older generations, and freebies here and there, there should be more than enough to keep me happy.

• marander3dmarander3d Posts: 50

I know many of you like her, but I just don't find V8 atttactive...  Some of my problems with her are: eyebrows too close together, too dark and thick, unattractive face, shoulders too thin for body, arms look weird, waist too wide, almost as wide as hips, boobs too small, she looks about 40. All this is fine for an ancillary character but I think, of all characters, Victoria should be the ideal woman, gorgeous, like V7. I have zero interest in this character, and I'm sure she'll end up free eventually anyway.

II am interested in experimenting  with plain G8 and morphs and expressions but will wait for PAs to create better morphs for G8 for the gene pool and will enjoy  creating my own. I do kind of like her cat eyes, but that's about it... Hate her nose... I think she does look kind of masculine with her wider waist, thicker wrists and less feminine features too....

I couldn't agree more, exactly my toughts. Additionally I don't like the eye reflection, the G8 eyes look weird to me. The face is very long and unattractive. V8 is by far the ugliest Victoria to me (except maybe the default V4.2). The only positive part to me is that she's an older character and maybe the skin. Nevertheless I got the V8 Pro package with several addons and the morphs, I'm too curious about the new posing, skin shading and muscles moves. FWSA Elizabeth HD is the hope I have in G8 (and the trigger to get the Pro Bundle), but I like many FWSA Gen3 characters much better.

The big thanks from me to DAZ however is the compatibility to the previous Genesis items and even Gen3 skin.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,165
    Novica said:

@barbult  Just sent you the gift card code via PM. Let me know if it doesn't work, but only got one this time instead of bogus duplicates, so should be fine. Seems like that double gift card thing only happens with higher amounts. (where one doesn't work.)

Hmm... I haven't gotten a PM from you since the one where you sent my number 72 for the drawing.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Congratulations on winning the lottery Barbult! smiley

isidorn said:

Congratulations on winning the lottery Barbult! smiley

Thanks, it is the 3rd lucky thing that happened to me today. I'm on a roll!

Here is an older Victoria 8

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    Novica said:

Didn't have a good morning this morning. Part of my son's right lung collapsed this morning, (about 50%) and he was hospitalized of course, and will probably have surgery this next week.Last time this happened was 4 years ago, it was the other lung and thank goodness, that one is staying attached to the chest wall. If you have tall, thin, caucasian boys, this is a condition that apparently affects some of them.  Don't ignore "achy" chests by thinking you just slept wrong. Lung collapses aren't necessarily sharp, stabbing pains in the beginning. I wanted to mention this in case it helps someone down the line. (And if you know a parent of a tall, thin, white teen, please tell them about this. It's pneumothorax. It's usually teens through twenties, but can happen later too.) 

I missed some of your posts, Novica.  Hope all is better with your mom and son.

Thanks so much Cris. Son is off the morphine-type drug, but still on the lung pump, going to remove the chest tubes and pump today (Saturday.)  The problem was nausea (severe) on Friday and now that has settled down since they took him off those really strong pain killers.

As for mom, they let her go back to her apartment Friday,  and they frankly let her come back WAAAAY too soon. She managed to sit on the side of the bed but couldn't scoot back or swing her legs up to get them on the bed, I did it for her, and the Xray today showed she does indeed have a fractured hip. (no surgery, just time, will heal it.)  So I think we'll get CNA's to stay with her this next week and brighten her spirits, build her confidence. She turns 90 this next December and recovery is going to be very slow. She's a real trooper though. 

edited June 2017

@barbult    I sent it again. Let me know if you don't get it. 

This is too funny. There was a cat fight on my front porch, and the stray cat I've fed for 4 years ran through my front (thick) garden bed full of trees and bushes, so I didnt know where he went. So since it was 1:30am in the morning, and a thunderstorm was rolling in (in the distance) it was quite lovely. So I walk down the street (great neighborhood, lots of street lights)  with the balmy tropical breeze blowing, thinking I'll find the cat and give him a canned cat food treat. And wouldn't you know it, two deputies turn the corner and there I am, gamely waving like "Toodle loo, just ignore me. People always walk this time of night." Stupid cat!

Anyway, they drove past me and I walked to the end of the street, came  to the end and turned back around (It would have looked weird if I made a beeline for a house!) and walked back. They were two houses down, across the street- and were trying to find a gal who had moved out. We had a laugh about my cat search, and how awkward it is to have TWO deputy cars cruise past at that time of the morning, and they couldn't have been nicer.  

And the cat crossed my yard right when they started to leave so I said "Aha! Little varmit! He's back." (they assured me they believed me.) 
    They did tell me the neighbor was a fugitive (she moved a year ago, she isn't coming back) and I thought that was very clever to come for her at 1:30 in the morning. And the neighbors who now live there are going to thank me for providing info that kept the deputies from knocking on their door at that time of the morning. How scary!

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

This is too funny. There was a cat fight on my front porch, and the stray cat I've fed for 4 years ran through my front (thick) garden bed full of trees and bushes, so I didnt know where he went. So since it was 1:30am in the morning, and a thunderstorm was rolling in (in the distance) it was quite lovely. So I walk down the street (great neighborhood, lots of street lights)  with the balmy tropical breeze blowing, thinking I'll find the cat and give him a canned cat food treat. And wouldn't you know it, two deputies turn the corner and there I am, gamely waving like "Toodle loo, just ignore me. People always walk this time of night." Stupid cat!

Anyway, they drove past me and I walked to the end of the street, came  to the end and turned back around (It would have looked weird if I made a beeline for a house!) and walked back. They were two houses down, across the street- and were trying to find a gal who had moved out. We had a laugh about my cat search, and how awkward it is to have TWO deputy cars cruise past at that time of the morning, and they couldn't have been nicer.  

And the cat crossed my yard right when they started to leave so I said "Aha! Little varmit! He's back." (they assured me they believed me.) 
    They did tell me she was a fugitive (she moved a year ago, she isn't coming back) and I thought that was very clever to come for her at 1:30 in the morning. And the neighbors who now live there are going to thank me for providing info that kept the deputies from knocking on their door at that time of the morning. How scary!

And if you wrote that scene in a book, you'd get a lot of comments about how the scene with the cat in the middle of the night wasn't the slightest bit believable! Anyway, I'm glad the kitty is okay.

Sorry to hear about your mom. It's hard to believe they didn't catch the fracture with the first x-rays. Still, a hairline fracture is better than in pieces and needing surgery. Especially at her age. And I'm glad to hear your son is getting "unhooked" today. It can't be at all comfortable to have all those tubes and such attached.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    Novica said:
    mori_mann said:

Still working in Daz 4.6 (because my senile old coffee grinder has enough trouble runnign that), but I must say Genesis 8 seems to work fine in there. Never did a thing with 3, but I may adopt 8 :)

@morimann   Always enjoy your characters!

Thanks :) I love fiddling with them ;) Gen8 might convince me to take the big step and move them (and all their items) all over. But let's not be hasty and wait for the male version first. And a computer upgrade to run a newer version of DAZ. And then learn iray. I'm so behind, lol.

Best wishes for your son and mom! Hope they recover as quickly as possible.

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

I haven't been here in awhile Novica.  I hope your mother and son are improving.  My mother broke her hip at 86 and they had her up and walking in short order...  Sort of walking that is. The PT sessions made all the difference, but she fought them. It worked out finally.  But to have to be taking care of multiple generations...  

I bit on the VIctoria 8 Pro Bundle and added the head and body morphs and Vyktohria's Ruby.  I haven't spent much time with it - I prefer Ruby to V8 and look forwared to what some of the better PAs do in the coming months.    G8 backwards compatibility is a bit hit and miss (misses on every OOT G3 hair I own), but the free g3f to g8f pose converter is excellent.  For the meantime I'll stick with G3.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,456
    Novica said:

They did tell me she was a fugitive (she moved a year ago, she isn't coming back) and I thought that was very clever to come for her at 1:30 in the morning. And the neighbors who now live there are going to thank me for providing info that kept the deputies from knocking on their door at that time of the morning. How scary!

I had to tell my husband your cat story. ;)  Too funny. Glad to hear your son is doing well; I understand morphine often has awful nausea, glad he's off it! And glad to hear your mom only has fracture, not break. Sad they send folks home so early these days. But glad someone can come in and stay with her 24/7 and keep her safe from another fall!

Novica said:

I got your message this time and replied. Thanks for the gift!

You've been busy with all your family issues. It is good to hear that things are getting better for both your son and mom.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Congratulations barbult!

And now Novica is an official cat lady, even the deputies are checking up on her!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I'm getting crashing when autofitting Genesis 3 female clothing to Victoria 8. I've tried Karen's yellow and red suit and the superhero outfit for Genesis 3 both cause my machine to crash.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I haven't had crashing yet, but sometimes it takes a while to think about it. Wonder if it's a bug that will be squashed in an upcoming fix/release.

For me it is a huge deal since I don't intend to rebuy clothing for women when I have a fairly substantial library. I've had bad luck getting support for product bugs. And this seems pretty major one.

• NathNath Posts: 2,718
    Novica said:

Thanks so much Cris. Son is off the morphine-type drug, but still on the lung pump, going to remove the chest tubes and pump today (Saturday.)  The problem was nausea (severe) on Friday and now that has settled down since they took him off those really strong pain killers.

As for mom, they let her go back to her apartment Friday,  and they frankly let her come back WAAAAY too soon. She managed to sit on the side of the bed but couldn't scoot back or swing her legs up to get them on the bed, I did it for her, and the Xray today showed she does indeed have a fractured hip. (no surgery, just time, will heal it.)  So I think we'll get CNA's to stay with her this next week and brighten her spirits, build her confidence. She turns 90 this next December and recovery is going to be very slow. She's a real trooper though. 

Good news on your son! Hoping your mum gets back on her feet asap, and best wishes to them both:)

edited June 2017

I'm getting crashing when autofitting Genesis 3 female clothing to Victoria 8. I've tried Karen's yellow and red suit and the superhero outfit for Genesis 3 both cause my machine to crash.

Almost done with a test render. Then I'll try those and see if they crash for me too. I've used these so far without any issues:

Post edited by Llynara on

After updating to the new DS version I set up a simple full figure portrait with FW Rebekah with Perrin hair and the Sci-Fi Samurai armour. The first small sized test render of it took 5 minutes to finish. My full size render is about 2,5 times larger than the test render and also at higher quality setting. It just now passed 25 hours and reached 80%... I hate it when things that are ment to be quick renders takes days to finish.

BUT. The point I want to get to is that the render would have been lost after about 17 hours, had it not been for the battery backup for my computer. A quick, half second power outage made the lamps blink and had been enough to cause my computer to shut off. It happened often enough before and a big reason why I got the backup. There was talk earlier in the thread about backing up our content. I also wish to point out the importance of a backup for the computer's power. Different kind of backups, but both saving from lots of potential frustration.

I figured out the crashing issue. Genesis 8 must be installed in the root directory wtih the rest of the DAZ content. If you don't install it there and have it in a second runtime, autofit may not work.

@Serene Night - Glad you figured it out. I have one ginormous runtime on an external drive, which is probably why it takes a while but hasn't crashed. 

isidorn said:

After updating to the new DS version I set up a simple full figure portrait with FW Rebekah with Perrin hair and the Sci-Fi Samurai armour. The first small sized test render of it took 5 minutes to finish. My full size render is about 2,5 times larger than the test render and also at higher quality setting. It just now passed 25 hours and reached 80%... I hate it when things that are ment to be quick renders takes days to finish.

BUT. The point I want to get to is that the render would have been lost after about 17 hours, had it not been for the battery backup for my computer. A quick, half second power outage made the lamps blink and had been enough to cause my computer to shut off. It happened often enough before and a big reason why I got the backup. There was talk earlier in the thread about backing up our content. I also wish to point out the importance of a backup for the computer's power. Different kind of backups, but both saving from lots of potential frustration.

Good point! I just put my computer and my NAS on UPS's. Funny thing was, a storm rolled in while I was doing it and we had several power outtages. Weird timing but a good test.  

That was excellent timing Llynara! And good to get it tested right away :)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I've been using UPS's on my system for a couple of decades. They aren't expensive at Costco. So far, I've never spent more than $100 on one, (knock on wood.) But I really need to get a second one for the new computer. Whenever I have the beast on and rendering, the current UPS drops low enought to set off the buzzer when I print anything on the old laserjet!

RGcincy said:

And now Novica is an official cat lady, even the deputies are checking up on her!

Welcome to the club, Novica.

And congrats to number 72... 3rd lucky thing to happen on the same day? @barbult, did, you think to buy a lottery ticket while your luck was running hot?

L'Adair said:

I've been using UPS's on my system for a couple of decades. They aren't expensive at Costco. So far, I've never spent more than $100 on one, (knock on wood.) But I really need to get a second one for the new computer. Whenever I have the beast on and rendering, the current UPS drops low enought to set off the buzzer when I print anything on the old laserjet!

RGcincy said:

Welcome to the club, Novica.

And congrats to number 72... 3rd lucky thing to happen on the same day? @barbult, did, you think to buy a lottery ticket while your luck was running hot?

Darn! I didn't think of it. I never buy those things, so it never crossed my mind. laugh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I've had the random clothing or hair item crash when auto fitting to G8F but its only been one or two items.  She is installed on my exterior drive and at this point its not a big enough bother to move her anywhere.

Lol Novica, I am frequently out in the early morning hours trying to get my own cat to come in.  And around here, they might not believe me lol.  Of course, I'm usually in pj's so that might help.

This discussion has been closed.