edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Szark said:
    First Entry

Title: Click and Shoot

Stonemason qualifing product: The Enchanted Forest
    Rednered with DS3A
    Postwork Photoshop CS2

The title refers to a trick wildlife photographers use...when ready to shoot they would click a clicker getting the animals attention so they would look in the direction of the click. You have to be quick when clicking as most often the animal will look and run off quite quickly.

I cannot use any hair plug-in due to the computer I am using so I had to use a homemade displacement map and postwork. Never done fur postwork before and found it really hard to get right. But I am happy with the outcome.

Well Pete, I don't know what you "intended", but I love this image. Of course the fact I love big game cats (though these 2 are young) might have something to do with it, but I really really like the composition, and the snake in the mouth of one of them is the perfect touch in my estimation.

Needless to say art, as in beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, but just because this is different from the usual renders you do doesn't mean it's not good. It is, and you should be proud of it. :-)Thank you Miss B (oops nearly used your Sunday name). Yes I do like this image a lot and yes I am proud of it. I would have liked to use a hair plug-in but this machine I have now won't run either. I like how the colours seem vivid on my monitor and nothing with this image was by accident. I

was playing about with the camera trying to find a nice close up view of the excellent detail in the set (do I get brownie points for brown nosing). I found the camera angle and then I remembered I had Lynn's Ocelot morphs and texture but no bump or displacement maps. I tweaked the morph a little with the Mil Cat (not Big Cat) adjustment settings after looking a photos of real Ocelots. The hair plug-in would have made them look better though. Anyway once I found my camera angle everything feel into place. I get more buzz doing wildlife images than anything. I can't wait until I get a new computer, Vue or Reality and one of the hair plug-ins for Daz Studio.

agian thanks for the comments Miss B, appreciated as always. :)

I must admit though there are some really amazing image here already and I am enjoying seeing each image get posted.. Some of those Bryce renders are awesome and I really mean that. Really does show what can be done in Bryce these days.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited February 2013

First entry

DS 4.5
    Stonemason products The Enchanted Forest and Jungle Ruins.

Lucy and the Swamp Monster

Lucy-and-The-Swampmonster.jpg
    1500 x 1060 - 463K
    Post edited by scorpio on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

"Please Stefan, there are more shelves, can I have some more?"

rendered in Carrara, Stonemason products, many but not enough! ;-P

I really love this image. What a great idea. My only suggestion would have been to have one empty spot strategically placed. I think it would invoke some interest as to why is there one missing.

Well done. ;)

edited December 1969

Forst entry

Amazing job! I wish I could master lighting like this!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited February 2013

Well I'm sticking in my first try .....
    Title: Where Future and Dreams Meet
    Used : Enchanted Forest 2
    DS 4.5

Where_future_Dreams_mix3.png
    1782 x 919 - 2M
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • WirenutWirenut Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

So.............Here is my first entry:

"The Showdown"

Stonemason Products:
    Faded Industry
    City Ruins 1 & 2
    The Back Streets
    Cambot, FloaterBot
    Drone Trooper
    Urban Sprawl 2
    Creatures of the Deep

Other Products:
    Genesis
    Citizen X
    Mr Hyde Pants

Software:
    DAZ Studio 4.5
    Photoshop CS5

Showdown1001opt1.jpg
    1412 x 1059 - 855K
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

I love this entry!

• omradiocomomradiocom Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

I couldn't think of a better prize, as Stonemason is a major reason I am a Daz3d member.

Let the creative juices begin!

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    No I personally wasn't happy with it and as others have said to me it is not my usual standard, hence under par. So if I am not happy with it then it doesn't get entered. It really isn't about, is it better than the images here even though I did mention that but more what I think is good or not good.

I am one of those worst own critics and it was suggested to me that that could be the case, until I sent them the image. :) Yes I enjoyed making the image but it wasn't quite what I wanted.

But I do have to disagree about not entering to win, this is a contest after all the aim is to win is it not. :) I set out a couple of years ago to win a copy of Poser, simple as that I had winning on my mind and I came second and got Poser 8 for my effort and I still look at the image and smile, not becasue I won second prize but for the image itself. Same with Ken bird contests. I entered 3 times, entering to win and got 2 HM and one first.

You misunderstood me I think although it's understandable given the context. What I said is that the point of art isn't to win and I stand by that. The point of entering a contest is to win. It just happens that in this case art and entering a contest converge. Anyway, if the ultimate reason why you pulled the picture referenced was because you were unhappy with it, then fine. I just hate it when I see people shy away from entering something they're proud of into a contest like this, simply because they think someone else's work looks better. They may be wrong, they may actually win, but they'll never know because they judged themselves out before they ever had a chance.

• edited December 1969

This is awesome list of prices, very cool.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Love it, Scorpio...super lighting, too.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited February 2013

Szark said:
    No I personally wasn't happy with it and as others have said to me it is not my usual standard, hence under par. So if I am not happy with it then it doesn't get entered. It really isn't about, is it better than the images here even though I did mention that but more what I think is good or not good.

I am one of those worst own critics and it was suggested to me that that could be the case, until I sent them the image. :) Yes I enjoyed making the image but it wasn't quite what I wanted.

But I do have to disagree about not entering to win, this is a contest after all the aim is to win is it not. :) I set out a couple of years ago to win a copy of Poser, simple as that I had winning on my mind and I came second and got Poser 8 for my effort and I still look at the image and smile, not becasue I won second prize but for the image itself. Same with Ken bird contests. I entered 3 times, entering to win and got 2 HM and one first.

You misunderstood me I think although it's understandable given the context. What I said is that the point of art isn't to win and I stand by that. The point of entering a contest is to win. It just happens that in this case art and entering a contest converge. Anyway, if the ultimate reason why you pulled the picture referenced was because you were unhappy with it, then fine. I just hate it when I see people shy away from entering something they're proud of into a contest like this, simply because they think someone else's work looks better. They may be wrong, they may actually win, but they'll never know because they judged themselves out before they ever had a chance.Fair enough and just for the record and speaking from the heart I don't have this win at all costs attitude...I am graicious in defeat and yes I do agree winning isn't everything and I do truely believe that. It is like chasing money, you will never catch it until the intent is pure then it will come.

It all mute anyway as I won't win but one has to enter for a chance. ;)

As for that image, I had it finsihed for over a week and everyday I looked at it and everyday I screwed my nose up at it. :)

As for the sentence I have enbolded above...I totally agree and I have seen it many times. Even looked at some image I have made and entered in to contests feeling I wouldn't win..but I did. So yeah your words are spot on and many here should head them.

Post edited by Szark on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Forst entry

Superb, love the concept too.
  • StealthWorksStealthWorks Posts: 40
    edited February 2013

Hi There
    Great competition and some fantastic renders here.
    Here's my entry...

"Intruder"

As the Yamato began final manoeuvres to enter orbit , Lacey was in the hold retrieving one of the spare fuel cells they would need for the return journey. But, in the dark shadows of Cargo Bay 4 she realised she wasn't alone. She turned slowly and froze as the dark shape loomed above her...

The following Stone Mason Props were used

Sci-Fi Crates 'n Containers
    SI-FI Wall

Other products used
    Geneis
    Cararra 8.5 for the scene set up and rendering
    Photoshop for some colour correction

I wanted the to achieve the dark grungy futuristic feel of the Alien's movies and Stone Mason's props are idea for that
    Hope you like :-)

cargo_final1.jpg
    1080 x 720 - 596K
    Post edited by StealthWorks on
  • anakinfkanakinfk Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Droids need love too!

Urban Sci Fi
    Cyber V4
    Droid
    Daz Studio 4.5
    Reality Renderer

DroidsinLove.jpg
    1500 x 843 - 788K
  • MarcosDKMarcosDK Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

"Sorceress"

My second entry.
    Stonemason item: Castle ruins.
    Others: Victoria 4, Dementia, Heart of the matter and some roons' brushes

Humm... I'm thinking that if I win a prize I publish a "how-to" about the winning drawing... :)

sorceress.jpg
    1024 x 723 - 168K
    edited December 1969

dkmarcos said:
    "Sorceress"

My second entry.

Humm... I'm thinking that if I win a prize I publish a "how-to" about the winning drawing... :)

Wow! That is amazing! I would definitely be interested in a "how-to" regardless of whether you win the grand prize or not. ;)

edited December 1969

Szark said:

You misunderstood me I think although it's understandable given the context. What I said is that the point of art isn't to win and I stand by that. The point of entering a contest is to win. It just happens that in this case art and entering a contest converge. Anyway, if the ultimate reason why you pulled the picture referenced was because you were unhappy with it, then fine. I just hate it when I see people shy away from entering something they're proud of into a contest like this, simply because they think someone else's work looks better. They may be wrong, they may actually win, but they'll never know because they judged themselves out before they ever had a chance.

I agree with a lot that is being said here. Yes it is a competition and yes the point of a competition is to win, but artwork is all subjective. I personally don't feel that either of my pieces are as good as some of what I have seen in this thread, but it is the best I can do with my current skill level and experience with DAZ. But I do feel that both of my submissions are probably my most detailed and ambitious work to date. For that I am thankful that I at least tried to enter this competition regardless of the outcome. Competitions like this always seem to push people to reach a bit farther than they normally would.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

another, not an entry video for entertainment.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Miss B said:
    Szark said:
    First Entry

Title: Click and Shoot

Stonemason qualifing product: The Enchanted Forest
    Rednered with DS3A
    Postwork Photoshop CS2

The title refers to a trick wildlife photographers use...when ready to shoot they would click a clicker getting the animals attention so they would look in the direction of the click. You have to be quick when clicking as most often the animal will look and run off quite quickly.

I cannot use any hair plug-in due to the computer I am using so I had to use a homemade displacement map and postwork. Never done fur postwork before and found it really hard to get right. But I am happy with the outcome.

Well Pete, I don't know what you "intended", but I love this image. Of course the fact I love big game cats (though these 2 are young) might have something to do with it, but I really really like the composition, and the snake in the mouth of one of them is the perfect touch in my estimation.

Needless to say art, as in beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, but just because this is different from the usual renders you do doesn't mean it's not good. It is, and you should be proud of it. :-)

Thank you Miss B (oops nearly used your Sunday name). Yes I do like this image a lot and yes I am proud of it. I would have liked to use a hair plug-in but this machine I have now won't run either. I like how the colours seem vivid on my monitor and nothing with this image was by accident. I

was playing about with the camera trying to find a nice close up view of the excellent detail in the set (do I get brownie points for brown nosing). I found the camera angle and then I remembered I had Lynn's Ocelot morphs and texture but no bump or displacement maps. I tweaked the morph a little with the Mil Cat (not Big Cat) adjustment settings after looking a photos of real Ocelots. The hair plug-in would have made them look better though. Anyway once I found my camera angle everything feel into place. I get more buzz doing wildlife images than anything. I can't wait until I get a new computer, Vue or Reality and one of the hair plug-ins for Daz Studio.

agian thanks for the comments Miss B, appreciated as always. :)

I must admit though there are some really amazing image here already and I am enjoying seeing each image get posted.. Some of those Bryce renders are awesome and I really mean that. Really does show what can be done in Bryce these days.
    I started out in 3D with Bryce 4 around 10 or 11 yrs ago because I didn't like the "people/characters" coming out of Poser 4 at the time, and I love outdoor landscape scenes. Add my love for big game cats, especially snow leopards and black panthers, to the mix and well, your render just epitomizes what I like best about scenes in Nature. The expression on the ocelots' faces, especially the one with the snake in his mouth, is wonderful. O.o, we've been caught. ~hee, hee, hee~ They remind me of young kids caught with their hands in the cookie jar. ;-)

• MarcosDKMarcosDK Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    dkmarcos said:
    "Sorceress"

My second entry.

Wow! That is amazing! I would definitely be interested in a "how-to" regardless of whether you win the grand prize or not. ;)

Thanks! but about the how-to... Hahaha! Any prize, but a prize, is the condition :)

• daz3_57718312fadaz3_57718312fa Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

NON ENTRY : ) Good luck everyone.
    Title: Hi, We’re Here To Pick Up A Package?
    Software: Poser 8, Vue 11, GIMP 2.8.2
    Stonemason Products: The Warehouse, Urban Future 4 :Street Level, Floater Bot

marty_d_stonemason_2013_1.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 542K
    Post edited by daz3_57718312fa on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Thanks Geminii23, Stormlyght, Jamahoney and Szark.
    The lighting has a lot to do with Khory's By Candlelight.

• CyberDogCyberDog Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Product used, Urban Sprawl 2.
    Posed and rendered in DS
    Minor post work in Photoshop elements 11

I,m not satisfied with this but I need to move on. I am just learning DS and feel it would be better to concentrate on smaller scenes.

citydone.jpg
    1258 x 710 - 388K
  • MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

CyberDog said:
    Product used, Urban Sprawl 2.
    Posed and rendered in DS
    Minor post work in Photoshop elements 11

I,m not satisfied with this but I need to move on. I am just learning DS and feel it would be better to concentrate on smaller scenes.

You sound like me lol, especially with large urban scenes, I personally find them to be hit and miss, still, I like this! It's also nice to see that I'm not the only one using Photoshop Elements (I have 10)

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Again not an entry because again my latest Platinum Club Inspirations entry -- wouldn't be the same without Stonemason's City Ruins Building 4DS4.5Pro render, prework and postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Was gonna name this Wolf at the Door, but decided it was too cliche. Instead, went with . . .
    Wolf versus Wolf

PCI20130214-TwoWolves-x2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
  • MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited February 2013

Entry removed

Post edited by Madbat on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited February 2013

UHF said:
    Bwahahahaha! Not So Cute Any More Mr Stonemason! Where's your god now!

Big CamBot's look much more threatening!

Technically this isn't an entry since I've already submitted two 'cute' ones, but for the sake of completeness;
    Title: Not So Cute Anymore!
    Content: Urban future 4, Mech, and CamBot.
    Render: It was rendered in Lux via Reality.
    No postwork.

PS. CamBot asks that you send more Mechs, the last ones you sent are all blowed up.

...heheh, I love it. Did something similar a few years ago with the Floater Bot (NAE).

http://kyotokid.deviantart.com/art/I-won-t-let-them-hurt-you-315170662

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Idle question; what ever happened to The Warehouse District, SKU #3340? The few renders I saw of it looked neat... Did it get rolled into something else, or just vaulted?

-- Morgan

If memory serves me correctly the Warehouse District was deleted from the catalogue around the time that The Warehouse was released. Stonemason posted on the old forums that he felt his modelling had improved so much that the old product no longer reflected fairly on what he could do, and he didn't want it to be sold any more. Given the difference in quality between the two products you can see his point.
    ..hmm I dunno, seems to work fine for me (more NAEs).

http://kyotokid.deviantart.com/art/Showtime-315175266

http://kyotokid.deviantart.com/art/Evnin-Pilgrim-116711928

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited February 2013

Here is my 2nd entry:

"Exploring the Old Bridge"
    Daz3.0/Bryce7Pro/PSP7
    "Under the Bridge" Stonemason product
    copyright IceScribe 2013

ExploringOldBridge.jpg
    1056 x 554 - 92K
    Post edited by IceScribe on