mirror modelling...

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

can someone tell me how to mirror model... I'm modelling half of something, and I need the other half...

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Which modeller? Most have some kind of symmetry function.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Hex 2.5. I can't figure out how this is done. I'm building hair, but I"m making it out of planes because I UVMap them first, then shape them so the UVS is predictable... I just need to be able to mirror what I've made then weld it...

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Do you want to have it actively mirror while you model, or make a mirror copy after finishing?

For the first, you select "symmetry" in the properties panel and for the latter, select "symmetry" under the vertex modeling tab. For each of these you select which plane you want it mirrored on.

Hope this answers your question?

edited December 1969

Roygee! That's exactly the answer I needed! Thank you VERY much!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Glad I could help:)

Couple of warning, though - if you are modeling in symmetry, watch it carefully - some functions don't work in symmetry and some are simply untrustworthy.

If you are doing a mirror copy of the completed object and weld - rather do the welding with a differently-named copy - you may loose previously done UV mapping.

edited December 1969

gotcha... what I'll likely do is weld it in UVmapper to avoid the problem of lost UVS... Thanks for the warning about symmetry!

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    gotcha... what I'll likely do is weld it in UVmapper to avoid the problem of lost UVS... Thanks for the warning about symmetry!
    What he's saying is of you weld two meshes together (not their maps), you will lose their UVs. This will also happen if you bridge meshes together, or even close an opening in a mesh through Weld or Bridge.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited February 2013

UV Mapper has a weld vertices option, which could be used after the fact on an unwelded mirror-copy exported from Hexagon without wiping the UVs. That works , of course, only if there aren't overlapping vertices that should remain unwelded.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

if they're both using the same texture sets it shouldn't matter... :) If they're using different texture sets, that's a problem :)