The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited February 2013

My second entry

Title: RIOT Movie Poster
    Software used: Rendered in Bryce 7 Pro, Models posed in Poser, post work Photoshop CS
    Stonemason product: Tin Pan Alley

More great renders being added to this thread daily, And with Postwork not only being accepted but "encouraged", I thought I'd try something slightly different... Good luck everyone.

RiotPosterRiders4.jpg
    797 x 1321 - 527K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

I'm having a bit of a problem accomplishing anything lately. Every time I sit down at the computer, my cat who absolutely hates to cuddle jumps onto my lap, shoots up to my shoulder, then sprawls across my chest under my chin. Which forces me to recline or support her so she doesn't need to attach herself to me with her claws.

All of which makes it pretty much impossible to get anything done but cuddling a surprisingly needy cat.

At this rate, it may be summer before I finish The Last Mime!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited February 2013

"Please Stefan, there are more shelves, can I have some more?"

rendered in Carrara, Stonemason products, many but not enough! ;-P

stonemason.jpg
    1500 x 1343 - 474K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2013

Jonrea...ooohhh...wouldn't mess with her.

gopherus....scary...b/w has a certain 'attitude', doesn't it.

Savage...that's gotta be [you] on the 'hog' ...hahaaa, but a splash of blood on your chest would signature it :)

Best of luck to all the other wonderful entries...a daunting task and list of works/renders for Stefan (Stonemason) to choose from, I would imagine.

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited February 2013

Good ones, Wendy and Savage64

Here is my second entry. "The Seekers". Long after the asteroid collided with the Earth and the remaining human population went to underground shelter and faded away...the surface bots continued to explore for resources and report to their non-existent masters. 1000 years later, sustained by plutonium cells; they were the last remaining vestages of intelligent life.

Used:
    Urban Ruins1-4
    Urban Rubble
    Under the Bridge

Imported into Vue and rendered.

Ruins_.jpg
    1531 x 852 - 656K
    Post edited by peteVault on
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Oh, boy, I'm going to have a go at this! What?!

• pwalters58pwalters58 Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

Title: King of the Courtyard
    Stonemason items used: Derelict Corner and City Ruins Vehicles.

Rendered in Vue 11 Infinite.

King_of_the_Court.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 767K
  • BeltazarBeltazar Posts: 2
    edited February 2013

***************Shimmers in**********

First of all, Awesome images everyone, Good Luck.. It was pretty hard coming up w/ a good idea for this, but I have to go Old school using some of my favorite items from Stonemason, Darkstar, pillar props, stone figures, and his ancient scene... So here it goes..

Title: Trying to survive..
    Software: Poser and photoshop
    Stonemason: Darkstar, ancient ruins, stone pillars, and parts of other stone stuff..

The year was 2189, and the humans have finally completely destroyed the Earth and the surrounding planets.. The Earth's atmosphere is no longer bare-able even w/ suits on.. The world wars have been completely devastated the cities leaving them in rumble and even the Earth's topography has changed dramatically to the point it isn't recognizable by continent's.. Earthquakes are off of the scales while volcano activity throughout the world is almost non-stop w/ fissures running deep into the ground spewing out lava and ash.. Some of the humans escaped on broken down space ships leaving hundreds on the doomed planet.. But was a death sentence in its own right due to the fact that some of the ships would not make it to far.. Some of the ships didn't stop to help the others.. Some of the humans purposely sabotaged other people.. It has become survival of the fittess no questions about it.. People did not like other people.. Without the unity and ability to work together this expedition was doomed from the start.. A small group of humans who are left on earth have been trying to do everything they can to save the planet.. In the shadows they have stayed, otherwise targets they will become from others.. Their mission to find a solution to survive! After years of working, they could see time was running out for them fast.. And, they knew they only have one shot of making this plan work or it is over for everyone.. There plan, time travel to go back in past to live and rebuild.. That was there only solution.. They knew the planet was unsavable and total destruction was only days away.. But they also know they had to get it right the first time because the minute they turned the machine on the power required to make it all work would drain and completely destroy the earth.. So as the day came where the earthquakes rumbled and the volcano's screamed out.. They decided that this is the day.. This is the day to make it happen.. They were already prepared to leave at a moments noticed if called too. So the scientists flipped the switch and the machines came back to life for the last time.. The earth started to rumble more.. They could see the mountains through the plate glass windows break a part like sand dissolving in water.. The facility was shaking so hard it was falling apart w/ fires breaking out everywhere inside.. Then the chamber door opened up and to their surprise they saw a beautiful place on the other side.. So the section leader geared up everyone and told the people to get through the porthole before it closed.. So not knowing the time or place to where they were heading everyone went through the porthole..
    As they turned around to watch the portal close they could see the devastation take its toll and just fade away.. The air was clean, the water was pure, the sky was a beautiful blue and the sun was shining.. They knew it worked well.. The scientist figured that it worked a bit to well by seeing the ruins and primitive markings on the wall they figured they jumped back over 2000 years.. But they survived, to rebuild and live again like they have never lived before..

***********Shimmers out through space and time*********

sci_fi_scene2_final_post.jpg
    1600 x 1066 - 294K
    Post edited by Beltazar on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    Hello Stonemason and fellow contestants, I'm going to post an entry into the 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest for the first time.
    Stonemason Product used: "Under the Bridge"
    Title: "Maybe It Can Be Fixed"
    Posed in DAZ 4.0/Rendered in Bryce7Pro/postwork in PaintShopPro7
    copyright IceScribe 2013

I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to work from the top which is nice and ruined and unsafe, or from the bottom with the great rivets and trusses and great brick work. Since I got the beat up Meteor sports car, just seemed go together, under the bridge :-) I have some other ideas for using the Stonemason bridge but I tend to get distracted so I'm posting this one now. Enjoy!

...I really like this. Nice work.
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

none entry - Generic Scifi Corridor

horde1-sml.jpg
    2000 x 1612 - 221K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Not an entry (since it's my latest PlatClubInspirations entry), but Stonemason's City Ruins Building 3 and Building 4 were perfect for this! DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Flowers in the Aftermath

FlowersAftermathB-x2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My second entry:

"Reflection"

Stonemason item used: Village Courtyard
    Also used: Genesis; Modern Muses, Chandra; Katya for Genesis and Summer Hair.

Scene setup in DS4.5; rendered in Bryce 7 Pro.

reflecting.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 390K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

well the image I made for this contest will not be entered now. I feel it is not up to par and many images here are better http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P150/#250183 so it is back to the drawing board.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

So here's my next entry. Its kind of whimsical, called, Taking Cammie For A Ride.

This is CamBot riding in the basket of a bike on the Streets of the Mediterranean.
    It was rendered in Lux via Reality.

I really had fun posing CamBot for this. I was struggling with making him more of a center piece in the picture. I wanted to make it like he was a puppy dog in the basket, but I found it pretty hard to get a good pose for the girl.

You can quote me on this... CamBot is fun!

TakingCammieForARideSmall.jpg
    1844 x 1037 - 753K
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

love the way everyone scales the Cambot down..he looks cute :) ,...maybe I made him to big?

edited February 2013

love the way everyone scales the Cambot down..he looks cute :) ,...maybe I made him to big?

naa we just don't like cute robots big. :)
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

naa we just don't like cute robots big. :)

I sense an upgrade coming on! Weapon mounts! No CamBot would be complete without a BFG! (Big Fricken Gun)

Hmm... Anyone else getting render ideas? CamBotzilla? Hmm... Greebles would never be the same.

• fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited March 2013

wow there are a lot of new entries since i last looked... very cool to see what everyone has done :D
    here is my 2nd entry

titled : stairway encounter
    Stonemason product used: Village Courtyard

good luck to everyone!!!

bugy.jpg
    1451 x 1093 - 882K
    Post edited by fayrie on
    edited December 1969

First Entry

Title: Click and Shoot

Stonemason qualifing product: The Enchanted Forest
    Rednered with DS3A
    Postwork Photoshop CS2

The title refers to a trick wildlife photographers use...when ready to shoot they would click a clicker getting the animals attention so they would look in the direction of the click. You have to be quick when clicking as most often the animal will look and run off quite quickly.

I cannot use any hair plug-in due to the computer I am using so I had to use a homemade displacement map and postwork. Never done fur postwork before and found it really hard to get right. But I am happy with the outcome.

Occelots_Final.jpg
    1100 x 1536 - 1009K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    well the image I made for this contest will not be entered now. I feel it is not up to par and many images here are better http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P150/#250183 so it is back to the drawing board.

For what it's worth, if the image at the end of the link was to be your entry I say it's up to par. Now whether it would win anything or not I couldn't say I'm not the judge of who wins and who doesn't. Still the point of art isn't to win, it isn't to be better then everyone else's, it is to express what you want it to express. In my mind then under those conditions the only reason one should reject their art is because it fails to please them or express what they want it to express. Not because they think someone else's art looks better. Especially given the fact that the majority of artists are their own toughest critics.

edited December 1969

No I personally wasn't happy with it and as others have said to me it is not my usual standard, hence under par. So if I am not happy with it then it doesn't get entered. It really isn't about, is it better than the images here even though I did mention that but more what I think is good or not good.

I am one of those worst own critics and it was suggested to me that that could be the case, until I sent them the image. :) Yes I enjoyed making the image but it wasn't quite what I wanted.

But I do have to disagree about not entering to win, this is a contest after all the aim is to win is it not. :) I set out a couple of years ago to win a copy of Poser, simple as that I had winning on my mind and I came second and got Poser 8 for my effort and I still look at the image and smile, not becasue I won second prize but for the image itself. Same with Ken bird contests. I entered 3 times, entering to win and got 2 HM and one first.

• KakarotKakarot Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

This is my 1st entry

Title:Outpost

Software used: Bryce 7 Pro, Daz Studio, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Reality 2, Luxrender

Stonemason product used "The Fortress"

I've always loved Stonemason's models and hope that this image does justice to them.

Outpost.jpg
    1332 x 720 - 70K
  • vicster56vicster56 Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

I'm in. Thanks!!

• gfxworldgfxworld Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

great

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

sneak peek shhhhhhh unlisted video using Streets of Asia2
    not an entry, just entertainment

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Wow! The quality of all the entries in this contest is amazing and a bit intimidating to me. Never-the-less congrats to everyone that is having the courage to enter. For me that is sometimes the hardest step is to just put stuff out there. Also, thank you to Stonemason for creating such a great contest. This has definitely been a fun and inspiring experience.

So here is my second entry for the contest. I welcome and would love to know what others think of this piece.

Title: Dead or Alive
    Rendered in: DAZ Studio 4.5
    Other programs used:
    Photoshop CS5

Stonemason product used:
    Urban Future 3

Other DAZ products used:
    Genesis, Bot for Genesis, 14 MU Monitor Bot, Genesis Hyper Suit, Jade Assassin, Shadow Warrior, Liquid Halo for Genesis

Dead-or-Alive-1600.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 934K
    edited December 1969

Bwahahahaha! Not So Cute Any More Mr Stonemason! Where's your god now!

Big CamBot's look much more threatening!

Technically this isn't an entry since I've already submitted two 'cute' ones, but for the sake of completeness;
    Title: Not So Cute Anymore!
    Content: Urban future 4, Mech, and CamBot.
    Render: It was rendered in Lux via Reality.
    No postwork.

PS. CamBot asks that you send more Mechs, the last ones you sent are all blowed up.

NotSoCuteSmall.jpg
    1844 x 1037 - 742K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    First Entry

Title: Click and Shoot

Stonemason qualifing product: The Enchanted Forest
    Rednered with DS3A
    Postwork Photoshop CS2

The title refers to a trick wildlife photographers use...when ready to shoot they would click a clicker getting the animals attention so they would look in the direction of the click. You have to be quick when clicking as most often the animal will look and run off quite quickly.

I cannot use any hair plug-in due to the computer I am using so I had to use a homemade displacement map and postwork. Never done fur postwork before and found it really hard to get right. But I am happy with the outcome.

Well Pete, I don't know what you "intended", but I love this image. Of course the fact I love big game cats (though these 2 are young) might have something to do with it, but I really really like the composition, and the snake in the mouth of one of them is the perfect touch in my estimation.

Needless to say art, as in beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, but just because this is different from the usual renders you do doesn't mean it's not good. It is, and you should be proud of it. :-)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited February 2013

Greetings,
    Idle question; what ever happened to The Warehouse District, SKU #3340? The few renders I saw of it looked neat... Did it get rolled into something else, or just vaulted?

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited February 2013

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Idle question; what ever happened to The Warehouse District, SKU #3340? The few renders I saw of it looked neat... Did it get rolled into something else, or just vaulted?

-- Morgan

If memory serves me correctly the Warehouse District was deleted from the catalogue around the time that The Warehouse was released. Stonemason posted on the old forums that he felt his modelling had improved so much that the old product no longer reflected fairly on what he could do, and he didn't want it to be sold any more. Given the difference in quality between the two products you can see his point.

Post edited by Fire Angel on