Carrara and texture baking to a model question

JikitoJikito Posts: 15
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,
this question is geared possibly to more advanced carrara users.

Is carrara capable of baking shader to textures, and baking texture maps to a model?

if so is there a tutorial that goes into detail on texture baking?

thanks for your time!

J.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited December 1969

silveril said:
    Hi,
    this question is geared possibly to more advanced carrara users.

Is carrara capable of baking shader to textures, and baking texture maps to a model?

if so is there a tutorial that goes into detail on texture baking?

thanks for your time!

J.

To bake your shaders to Texture Maps, all you need to do is to export your model to obj.
    On export, Carrara will kindly ask if you want it to convert your shaders to maps, simply say, "Yes, Carrara, please do!"
    Not sure about the other thing.
  • JikitoJikito Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

thanks for that info! ill keep hunting for tutorials, going to go run and play with this now!

edited December 1969

ok just checked it out, and was looking for something that would also bake in highlights and such, this seems to just explore flat shader,

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

silveril said:
    ok just checked it out, and was looking for something that would also bake in highlights and such, this seems to just explore flat shader,

To bake lights and shadows you need the plugin BAKER from http://inagoni.com
    edited December 1969

silveril said:
    Not sure what you'd do beyond:
    A) Setting up the highlights in the intended target software
    B) Using the resulting flat map, create grey scale images and tweak them to your liking in an image processing software.

I've never had the need, so I've not explored the idea any further. Perhaps someone else will chime in with some real expertise.

edited December 1969

thank you holly,
    what i am working on is models for Secondlife, i can make a few models but always textured using 2d, i took one look at blender and cringed.. carrara had more of an interface i could get into... most of work i had done thus far i was hand painting in light and shadow and was hoping carrara would bake all that into the texture..

*runs off to go buy a plugin*

edited December 1969

Very cool. I hope to know how this all works out for you - if it's not too much trouble reporting back.

edited December 1969

I'll do my best once i get it all figured out =)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

silveril said:
    Not sure what you'd do beyond:
    A) Setting up the highlights in the intended target software
    B) Using the resulting flat map, create grey scale images and tweak them to your liking in an image processing software.

I've never had the need, so I've not explored the idea any further. Perhaps someone else will chime in with some real expertise.

There are numerous reasons to want to bake in the all sorts of effects, such as the specular effects, lighting effects, etc. Mostly it has to do with game engines. Helps the game engine be speedier.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There are numerous reasons to want to bake in the all sorts of effects, such as the specular effects, lighting effects, etc. Mostly it has to do with game engines. Helps the game engine be speedier.

Also helps Carrara's IBL be speedier. Baker can bake the shadows from HDR global illumination... It would be tedious work for an existing complex environment, but if you baked shadows as you build a scene, in theory you could eliminate all that geometry from any lighting calculations. You could have an optimized environment for animations, basically you just light the figures, and you exclude the "scenery" from the lights.

Everything needs a UV map though... so doesn't work on trees, etc...