@ DAZ install manager: Why was there a need to create a new "public" default installation location?

12346»

Comments

• ken_7dac5ac5a2ken_7dac5ac5a2 Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

You'll need the Data folder from your old content folder. You could set up a content folder with just the Data folder, then you won't get any content duplicates but the .daz scenes will open.

Thanks. I am just beginning to understand the data folder. I don't seem to need it for the .daz files I converted to .duf. So, if I convert after restoring my old content folders or doing what you said, could I convert the remaining .daz to .duf and then not need these content folders any more?
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I'm not absolutely certain -- there certainly isn't a problem if the scene was always saved as .duf, not sure about .daz scenes converted to .duf, but if the ones you've converted already work, I imagine the rest will, also.

• ken_7dac5ac5a2ken_7dac5ac5a2 Posts: 54
    edited February 2013

I'm not absolutely certain -- there certainly isn't a problem if the scene was always saved as .duf, not sure about .daz scenes converted to .duf, but if the ones you've converted already work, I imagine the rest will, also.

By converted, I mean saved as .duf. In any event I did what you suggested, and it is has worked out well. Almost all of my .daz scenes open successfully. I am making .duf's of them as I go, and I will use those in the future. The major exception was one I probably created when Genesis came out. Much of its content isn't there anymore, including in my old content directories.

The remaining problems seem to be with content (so far only Runtime/Textures/xxx) that DIM hasn't presented yet. Those are easily fixed by copying the required folder from the old stuff.

I am having trouble with a figure that uses V4 Elite Lana textures. I seem to be using e.g. V4LanaRRTorsoM.jpg. What DIM gave me is V4LanaRRTorsoM_NG or V4LanaTorsoM. I can't find any info on why there are these three versions. I do have the ones I am using in my old content, so it isn't a significant problem. Just curious.

In all downloading everything from DIM and making a new content directory for what DIM installs has worked out well. I have not had any trouble with DIM except it hasn't yet made all my purchased content available yet. The fact that it uses Public is not a significant issue for me. I like it. :-)

Thanks for the help to everyone.

Post edited by ken_7dac5ac5a2 on
  • KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

While I like the fact the new installer gives me a clean daz library which I need badly. When making clothing for Genesis or other characters to give away or sell. Where do I now save those too.

I am guessing for genesis clothing it is:

Clothing to: C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\People\Genesis\Clothing
    Textures to: C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures
    Material to: C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Materials

Correct?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I would recommend a WIP folder for each project (If you are like me and several going at once). Once everything is finished in project you just need to clean any stray files and sub-folders then zip it up.

• LocusSolusLocusSolus Posts: 59
    edited April 2013

jestmart said:
    I would recommend a WIP folder for each project (If you are like me and several going at once). Once everything is finished in project you just need to clean any stray files and sub-folders then zip it up.

Indeed! and punching it on a SSD or a RAM-drive makes performances deadly higher. Strong advice, and I'm trying uninstal/reinstal in my project related specific stuff by using DIM. Adding to Dim an "install-copy" specification, letting us avoid back-install, would be pretty usefull !

Post edited by LocusSolus on