Polish Subway Huge VRAM demand

124»

Comments

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

I have a feeling that particular bug in Iray is only present when OptiX Prime Acceleration is checked on Advanced tab in render settings.

However, I agree, it does appear to be a bug.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

If the GPU drops out for lack of memory you will usually need to restart DS, and possibly the OS, to get it back into use.

..hmm, all the more I may just stick to CPU rendering. Having to restart the system every time is more of a bother than just closing and reopening Daz.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited January 2017
    kyoto kid said:

If the GPU drops out for lack of memory you will usually need to restart DS, and possibly the OS, to get it back into use.

..hmm, all the more I may just stick to CPU rendering. Having to restart the system every time is more of a bother than just closing and reopening Daz.

I've rarely had to restart my whole system just to fix Daz running out of memory. I just close it and reopen.  Maybe Windows 10 is better at killing the app. Just give it a few seconds to make sure the process is killed completely. Man, if I had to reboot every single time Daz ran out of memory I would be extremely displeased and looking for a new render program or hobby. Anyway, if that is happening, use Task Manager to make sure DS is killed properly. I have Task Manager pinned to my tool bar, so its always just a click away without even needing to do the old alt-ctrl-delete.

However, there have been a couple of times where the new 4.9 has been very disagreeable. That's yet another reason to keep 4.8, (I have 4.8 and the 4.9 beta, the beta mirrors the full version at this time.) I have been able to render things in 4.8 on my gpu that I could NOT get to work in 4.9. In 4.9 certain scenes would drop to CPU mode. Pretty annoying that 4.9 seems to eat more vram. Its not Windows 10 eating your vram, folks, its 4.9 itself!

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    th3Digit said:

this thread helped me avoid needless expenditures 

I eventually bought it

I must say I was surprised, this loads quite easily on my 980ti

but today I loaded the subway train in it, big mistake!!

card hit 6GB and eveything froze, no biggie I do not intend using it in DAZ studio anyway and I can easily fix any issues in Octane

but the really puzzling thing is how way out the scale is between the two products.

It appears that train does not match the set

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,586

Just use shaders as much as possible. Unless you need crazy detail use a shader. Textures only where necessary. Iray in Daz is Vram dependent and shader do not take up vram like textures.

Just use shaders as much as possible. Unless you need crazy detail use a shader. Textures only where necessary. Iray in Daz is Vram dependent and shader do not take up vram like textures.

is more or less what I do in Octane in Carrara  and D|S the latter I can reduce maps easily too

likewise iClone where I already rendered an animation with 4 genesis 3 males as well

all those apps use my processor for the textures and just the card for the geometry just a shame iray does not do "out of core" textures too, when you get sets this big you really need it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited June 2017

Part of what I see as 'proper' Iray-designed products are ones that actually model and separate features of a surface rather than fake it with texture maps. For an extreme example, consider old products where a wall and window might be one flat surface with a texture map defining what is window and what is wall.

This makes it hard to edit/change stuff; in many cases, in Iray? I can easily just set large surfaces to use one or two tiled grunge elements and otherwise treat it as PBR settings.

Post edited by Oso3D on

this set is full of maps 4 for each surface which is what blows out the memory and sadly not broken up enough to use shaders though a bit of fiddling with the geometry editor could certainly do it

that said one can just use the difuse maps

iClone I ditched all the extra maps and reduced the difuse and opacity ones to 1012 pixels square that made a hellava difference.