@ DAZ install manager: Why was there a need to create a new "public" default installation location?

Comments

• ken_7dac5ac5a2ken_7dac5ac5a2 Posts: 54
    edited February 2013

A directory junction gets the files off the C: drive, if people want to avoid cluttering asmall drive or to avoid wear on an SSD or to make sure a reformat won't wipe the files. That may or may not resolve a particular user's issues with the currently unconfigurable location.

Richard,

Thanks for the answer, but I am not understanding. Explicitly what would you do to get the DIM files in Public to be on a different drive, say D:? Assuming I know how to create a junction, what do I junction to what?

Post edited by ken_7dac5ac5a2 on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    edited December 1969

Another update about my download starting and then FAILING. I've been looking through the DIM to see if I could get it to continue downloading. Under "Downloads," I saw the "SHOW LOG" button. Here's the log, replete with ERRORS! Gee isn't this DAZ Wonderful!!

+++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.0.0.112 starting +++++++++++++++++
    Platform bits: 32
    Qt Version: 4.8.3
    Locale: C
    Running on Macintosh OS 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Current DateTime:
    Loc: Mon Feb 11 12:22:20 2013
    UTC: Mon Feb 11 20:22:20 2013
    Application Data:
    Location = /Users/Shared/DAZ 3D/InstallManager
    Disk Total: 464.9 GB (499248103424)
    Disk Avail: 199.3 GB (214082375680)
    Reading dzInstall.ini
    Communication timed out during authentication.
    Current Account: [my name is given here]
    Current Download Path:
    Location = /Users/Shared/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads
    Disk Total: 156160.0 TB (171699738692112452)
    Disk Avail: 770.3 GB (827192781829)
    Current Install Path:
    Location = /Users/Shared/My DAZ 3D Library
    Disk Total: 464.9 GB (499248103424)
    Disk Avail: 199.3 GB (214081757184)
    Processed 501 products with 790 unique product downloads
    Saving Account Settings:[my name is given here]
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00015204-03_ArashiHiro5PoserCF.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Network Error while downloading to file "": Operation canceled
    WARNING: QNetworkReplyImplPrivate::error: Internal problem, this method must only be called once.
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00015538-01_BarbarianBoots.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: QNetworkReplyImplPrivate::error: Internal problem, this method must only be called once.
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00015538-02_BarbarianBootsPoserCF.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00015635-01_BarbarianWarlordforGenesis.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00015635-02_BarbarianWarlordforGenesisPoserCF.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00013885-01_BenjaminM5.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00013885-03_BenjaminM5PoserCF.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00015645-02_ColonelChaosPoserCF.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00014457-01_CorbinMichael5.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00013875-01_DarkPriestM5Poses.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00015707-02_DerekforFreak5PoserCF.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error
    Communication timed out during logout.
    Network Error during authentication.
    Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    Unable to login customer during authentication.
    User Data Refresh: Elapsed Time 0 sec 482 msec
    Saving Account Settings: [my name]
    Current Account: [my name]
    Processed 501 products with 790 unique product downloads
    Saving Account Settings:[my name]
    WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00010669-01_1ClickM4FaceHairPoser.zip", error - 500 : Internal Server Error

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,207
    edited December 1969

Junction the folder you want to use for the files to C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles\ - and do the same for any other folders that you want to move, or even the whole C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\

edited February 2013

inquire said:
    Oh, no! Don't tell me this can happen!! OK, I decided to try the DIM on the Macintosh. I didn't set the DIM to install anything yet. But, I went through my list of files and selected 739, Genesis files, to download. The download started. Twenty-three files are downloaded. Then, a message popped up saying that the internet connection had been broken. It gave instructions for restarting. I did restart. Now, it says 715 files are Ready to Download, but none of the files are selected, so I don't think that's so.

I clicked one file, at the top of the list, to see if that would make the "Start Queue" button highlight. It did. I got the downloading to restart. However, it just downloaded that one file, then stopped. UPDATE: NO, IT ONLY APPEARED TO DOWNLOAD THAT ONE FILE. BESIDE THE FILE, IT SAYS "DOWNLOAD FAILED!"

So, does this mean -- and I think it probably does -- that all my time has been wasted? If so, I think this is one of the worst things DAZ3D has ever done to me.

Luckily, I have not deleted any files from My Library.

But, if this is how the DIM can (or cannot) work, why oh why DAZ would you ever release it? Do you know how maddening your behavior is to your customers? I am fast becoming a former DAZ customer.

I would try restarting DIM or if that fails log in again. I had that happen to me at one time, and that sort of thing fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't recall the details. It looks like a network error. You can't expect DIM to work if the networks fails, but with any luck it will recover.
    edited December 1969

Oh, just another little note about my problem, when I went to Quit the DIM, it appeared to quit but kept right on running! I had to "Force Quit" to get out of that.

edited December 1969

I would try restarting DIM or if that fails log in again. I had that happen to me at one time, and that sort of thing fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't recall the details.

Err, let me see if I understand this: You want me to log in again, even if all my work has been lost? I would have to be an enormous FOOL to go ahead and do that, now would I not?

Please do NOT ask me to file a bug report. OH, no, no,no,no,no, no ...
    I have wasted more than enough time on this.

edited December 1969

Junction the folder you want to use for the files to C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles\ - and do the same for any other folders that you want to move, or even the whole C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\

Richard,

Thanks. I haven't done junctions for a while. Windows 7 doesn't allow you to create and delete them, and I don't have the Windows Resource Kit utilities I used previously. There is a free download, Junction, from Sysinternals, that seems to do this. It works like this:

junction

is apparently the name you want to use, and is where the files are, so I would presumably do (for example):

junction "C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager" "D:\DAZ\Install Manager"

I haven't tried it yet, but I assume I would have to first move the folder "C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager" to "D:\DAZ\Install Manager" then do the above command. Is this correct?

I would guess that after doing this, the files in C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager will still be Public, which is more or less what I said originally. It doesn't seem to solve the problem of the files being in a publicly visible location, though it would solve the SSD problem.

Is that correct?

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

That may or may not resolve a particular user's issues with the currently unconfigurable location.

A 'particular user's issue'?

This drives a coach and horses through programing and security standards. Not only is the program insisting on using a public directory rather than the appdata and/or registry it should, it is storing one of a user's email addresses in plain text in the public directory, with no option to store it anywhere it should be instead.

it is just totally unbelievable that a commercial software vendor would do something like this. There is simply no valid, meaningful justification possible at all. It finally and completely removes the last shreds of any ability to claim this is a professionally produced product. Malware detection software producers and software security blacklist sites will have a field day with this when they see it and have got their jaws of the floor. And then everyone's security software will start swatting this program with a hammer - and rightly so.

It beggars belief that this has even been released as a beta, behaving like this with user data. If it's still behaving like this on full, final public release, DAZ will deserve every bit of the hassle they will get from the software security industry, And they will get it.

Frankly, i don't want any software whatsoever anywhere near my computer from a company that breaks basic, fundamental security and programming protocols so egregiously. This has made me deeply suspicious of all DAZ programs. Up to now, I had just judged them to be a bit careless. But this ... this ... words fail me.

edited December 1969

[ You can't expect DIM to work if the networks fails . . .

Well, as to whether to blame DIM or not, I might add that I was surprised to see that the only version of DIM I could download was a 32 bit version, while I have a 64 bit OS. But no 64 bit version was provided, at least for the Macintosh. And, yes, I suspect that a 64 bit version might do a better job.

I also am partly to blame, I think, because I have been very, very foolish in trusting DAZ and its products. As I've said above, I'm fast becoming a former DAZ customer.

(You'd think DAZ would have written the program so that the files selected would be saved in the Downloads Tab, wouldn't you?)

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    That may or may not resolve a particular user's issues with the currently unconfigurable location.

. . .

Frankly, . . . This has made me deeply suspicious of all DAZ programs. Up to now, I had just judged them to be a bit careless. But this ... this ... words fail me.

Just want to say that I share the sentiments expressed by DavidGB. Add me to the list of those who feel this way.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Frankly, i don't want any software whatsoever anywhere near my computer from a company that breaks basic, fundamental security and programming protocols so egregiously. This has made me deeply suspicious of all DAZ programs. Up to now, I had just judged them to be a bit careless. But this ... this ... words fail me.

Agreed, now that I've read back a bit to see what the situation is. I haven't installed DIM yet because its assumptions of workflow are so different in almost every way from the way I do things, it would be more trouble than it's worth to use it as intended.

After reading this, I won't be installing DIM.

Never.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

inquire said:

Well, as to whether to blame DIM or not, I might add that I was surprised to see that the only version of DIM I could download was a 32 bit version, while I have a 64 bit OS. But no 64 bit version was provided, at least for the Macintosh. And, yes, I suspect that a 64 bit version might do a better job.

I also am partly to blame, I think, because I have been very, very foolish in trusting DAZ and its products. As I've said above, I'm fast becoming a former DAZ customer.

(You'd think DAZ would have written the program so that the files selected would be saved in the Downloads Tab, wouldn't you?)

you can save your downloads any where you want - at least on my pc I can .

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:

Agreed, now that I've read back a bit to see what the situation is. I haven't installed DIM yet because its assumptions of workflow are so different in almost every way from the way I do things, it would be more trouble than it's worth to use it as intended.

After reading this, I won't be installing DIM.

Never.

I love how DIM works - wish we had it years ago .

edited December 1969

inquire said:
    DavidGB said:

. . .

Frankly, . . . This has made me deeply suspicious of all DAZ programs. Up to now, I had just judged them to be a bit careless. But this ... this ... words fail me.

I just want to say that I share the sentiments expressed by DavidGB. Add me to the list of those who feel this way.
    First, I agree with your issues, the "currently unconfigurable location" (both for the install location and for the data location) and the fact that the data is in Public is not good programming practice and hopefully will be changed.

I don't agree with the negativity for the simple reason that it only serves to make people feel bad and does not help resolve the problem.

I personally am suspicious of almost all programs and seldom find a perfect one. You certainly should be suspicious of anything labelled beta. (alpha is Greek for doesn't work yet, and beta is Greek for still doesn't work yet.)

I will also say that 32-bit is not the problem. 32-bit programs work just fine, and you don't really need 64-bit unless you need to access large amounts of memory or a few other things that don't apply to this program. The problems are with the design and not the word length.

The fact is that managing content is difficult and writing a program to do it is a daunting task. My personal opinion is that they got a lot of it right. There really is no good way to test something this difficult without having a large number of users try it. They were honest and labeled it a beta. If you are beta testing, the idea is to give the developers feedback, not tear them down.

If all goes well, the developers will listen and fix the issues that have appeared. If not, then is the time to decide if you want to continue with DAZ or not.

This is my take and no more. You may or may not agree. ;-)

edited December 1969

It looks like a network error. You can't expect DIM to work if the networks fails. . .

Just have to add that about the network: it's very good here. Very fast. When I download files without the DIM, it never fails. I watch movies, news reports, HD video, listen to music, play audio, anything. The network handles it all. So, why did it act so horribly when I tried using the DIM? Hmmm, I would guess that this is not the network, but the DIM.

I can download files very fast from the DAZ3D site, or from anywhere else, and I have never had the network fail.

And what was the DIM released for? To help you manage and keep track of your files, right? But after you get a nice long list, if the "network fails," the DIM loses all the files you've spent time selecting. How does this help you to keep track of your files? Somebody wasn't thinking when they wrote this program.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    inquire said:

you can save your downloads any where you want - at least on my pc I can .

Uh, bigh, I don't see that your comment correlates with what I've written above your comment. I was saying that the downloads disappeared from the DIM tab when DIM went "wacky." (It actually didn't quit, just stopped working, said it lost the network.) So, no I couldn't save my downloads. The files to be downloaded disappeared. I was trying to "save," that is, to download the files. DIM did not cooperate.

And, about the PC issue: yes, I always find that DAZ does a better job for the PC user than for the Mac user. I've even been told by DAZ people that they don't have PCs, that they write their programs on Windows and then use a translator to get the Mac versions. Well, as that famous movie title indicates, something is "Lost in Translation."

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

There is little or no reason for a 64bit version of DIM. Not unless DAZ starts releasing 2GB+ zip files.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited February 2013

DavidGB said:
    it is storing one of a user's email addresses in plain text in the public directory, with no option to store it anywhere it should be instead.

If you are sharing your Public Folder with people that you don't want to know your email, I can see where that would be a problem.

Coldrake

Post edited by Coldrake on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

A directory junction gets the files off the C: drive, if people want to avoid cluttering asmall drive or to avoid wear on an SSD or to make sure a reformat won't wipe the files. That may or may not resolve a particular user's issues with the currently unconfigurable location.

Richard,

Thanks for the answer, but I am not understanding. Explicitly what would you do to get the DIM files in Public to be on a different drive, say D:? Assuming I know how to create a junction, what do I junction to what?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

• BraincellsBraincells Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Here is my feedback: I downloaded and installed the Beta Manager, I viewed the tutorials and now I want to say:
    DAZ, you have strange priorities. On one hand you want to simplify it, but on the other, every time some add on comes along it gets more complex.

Who said it simplifies things when you ask people to deal with old, new and no installers, different platforms and random product locations? I learned to cope with all of this like many of us. Now we are asked again to disregard what you drummed into us last year- use a folder called MY LIBRARY to install.

Then it is not clear what you give me—after installing and shutting down- how do I call up the famed Install Manager? No documentation. It is also unclear whether you mean to install content means I download all of the DAZ purchased again from from the web account or is the stuff simply copied to the new DAZ Shared Folder location from the My Library folder on the Hard drive? Please make sure you provide the basics at least in your next release.

I’m sick of this already when I think of reinstalling all my GIGS of content into this. Sorry 'bout the rant but i find this usability approach of DAZ frustrating and pointless.It alienates long standing users. I will give this a miss until you tell me I have to or you come out with a Studio version that integrates content installment better than this.

edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    DavidGB said:
    it is storing one of a user's email addresses in plain text in the public directory, with no option to store it anywhere it should be instead.

If you are sharing your Public Folder with people that you don't want to know your email, I can see where that would be a problem.

Coldrake

While that applies to Vista and Windows 7, I don't think it applies to XP does it? I seem to recall that the XP Shared folders are open to anonymous users.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,105
    edited February 2013

I don't understand...
    There's this beautiful information page helping you download and get started.
    Why in the world don't they make mention of this default folder change there? I'm really lucky. I used DIM on a computer that had no content installed - except for what DS comes with, and the Genesis Essentials Pack.

What about people who have a legitimate reason where the new default screws them up? I haven't seen any mention of it - granted I didn't read through the FAQ before getting started. This should almost be in a Pop-up...

"DIM currently has your content being installed to a new Location - Not already allocated by Daz Studio" before continuing.
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

inquire said:

It looks like a network error. You can't expect DIM to work if the networks fails. . .

Just have to add that about the network: it's very good here. Very fast. When I download files without the DIM, it never fails. I watch movies, news reports, HD video, listen to music, play audio, anything. The network handles it all. So, why did it act so horribly when I tried using the DIM? Hmmm, I would guess that this is not the network, but the DIM.

I can download files very fast from the DAZ3D site, or from anywhere else, and I have never had the network fail.

And what was the DIM released for? To help you manage and keep track of your files, right? But after you get a nice long list, if the "network fails," the DIM loses all the files you've spent time selecting. How does this help you to keep track of your files? Somebody wasn't thinking when they wrote this program.
    inquire,

I apologize that it did not register with me that you had lost all your 700 something downloads. I can understand your irritation.

The message in your log doesn't necessarily mean your internet connection failed. It more likely means the connection between your DIM client and the DAZ remote server failed. However, only someone with the source code would know what conditions cause DIM to print that message in the log. When I said it looks like a network error, I think that was accurate. However, that doesn't means it actually was, and after thinking about it, I think it more likely is the above. The important thing is that DIM did not handle it.

Since no one else is reporting this problem, hopefully it is infrequent. I do have mine backed up though ;-)

I looked in my log to see if there was an error the time mine hung. There was not, and I don't remember the details. It was before I was very familiar with DIM, and I didn't lose any previously downloaded files..

What does appear in my log are many lines of the form:

WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 4 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 4 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)

I have asked twice about this so far and got no reply.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Richard,

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Kerya,

Thank you for the information. I figured out how to get the files on a different drive. (There was a previous post where I described how to do it.) However, it appears that junctions do not solve the problem of the files being in Public as I originally stated.

edited December 1969

I am still doing the groundwork before installing all my DIM files in a new directory and using that in place of my old content as Adam described.

I am concerned about things like morphs that I have made myself. These have been installed by Studio deep in the content structure and in several different places. It was my understanding at the time (I haven't done any recently) that morphs need to be in the same folder structure as Genesis. My stuff, of course, would not be handled by DIM. Does anyone have a solution for handling this type of thing while using DIM for purchased content.

I saw something about content not having to be in the Genesis folder any longer. Does this apply to morphs?

It would be nice if I could install my stuff in a different location than the DIM content. It would make it easier to know what to manage manually and what to use with DIM.

The videos say to not use an existing folder. I am gathering from the responses in the forum, that there is no problem using an existing folder. If morphs have to be in the same folder as Genesis, then you are necessarily going to have to use an existing folder. Still, I would like to keep the DIM stuff in its own folder.

What are other people doing about managing DIM content and other content?

edited December 1969

DS will gather morphs etc. from any mapped directory when it loads Genesis - so having your morphs in a different location from the DAZ morphs shouldn't be an issue, as long as the folders remain connected.

edited December 1969

The videos say to not use an existing folder. I am gathering from the responses in the forum, that there is no problem using an existing folder.

Here I go again, but, in criticism of this DIM and its accompanying introductory videos, why is there this discrepancy? Why do the videos say not to use an existing folder? Yes, I have read several people's remarks saying "that's not true," and "you can use any folder you want," and so forth, but consider that I don't know you or the guy who put out the videos. So, what am I to think? That's what made it very confusing.

About losing all of my carefully chosen 739 files to download (mainly Genesis), it was pointed out to me that the DIM is a beta. True. But, I have used betas from other companies before. Yes, there have been some bugs in them. But not like this! This is really over the top. I did look for a "Save" option as I was choosing files to download. Not finding one, I assumed (falsely) that a program designed to help me keep track of and manage my files would keep the list I was selecting, much like LUX (to name one program) automatically saves the render about every 2 or 3 minutes, so if the program crashes, the user loses no more than 2 to 3 minutes of unattended render time.

Releasing a beta that has no "save" option and that can therefore lose all of the choices a user has made, and cost that user hours of lost time, well, no that is not any beta that any sensible, caring company would ever release. Nor would a sensible, caring company release videos that misinform.

Have the people who wrote the program not already committed suicide (harakiri or Seppuku)? Perhaps someone who knows them there might give them some encouragement. (joke)

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    DavidGB said:

Coldrake

While that applies to Vista and Windows 7, I don't think it applies to XP does it? I seem to recall that the XP Shared folders are open to anonymous users.

Really? I didn't know that.

Coldrake

edited February 2013

DS will gather morphs etc. from any mapped directory when it loads Genesis - so having your morphs in a different location from the DAZ morphs shouldn't be an issue, as long as the folders remain connected.

Thanks Richard.

I went ahead and made a new content directory using DIM and removed the old ones from the Content Directory Manager. I also made another content directory with my morphs, etc. and added that to the Content Directory Manager. Then I did a reset and re-import and restarted DS. All my morphs appear to be there and work. :-)

Most of the .duf scene files I have work :-) , and I know what is the problem with the others (in some cases missing content that has not appeared in DIM yet).

On the other hand none of the .daz files works. I get errors in the log like:

Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/SkinBinding/abdomen/YBulgeRight.dsw
    Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/SkinBinding/abdomen/ZBulgeLeft.dsw
    Unable to find file for storable: data/4_0_2/Genesis/Genesis/modifiers/SkinBinding/abdomen/ZBulgeRight.dsw

The corresponding .duf files do work.

I'm still working on determining why (since I didn't convert all my scenes before making this change.) My filter is only set for DAZ Studio 4.5. Will setting it for DAZ Studio 4.0 fix this or just cause duplicates. Any suggestions or help?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You'll need the Data folder from your old content folder. You could set up a content folder with just the Data folder, then you won't get any content duplicates but the .daz scenes will open.