Strange things that happen after learning 3D.

2»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited February 2013

...your friends begin to worry because they haven't seen or heard from you in days, weeks...months.

...the pubkeep at your usual hangout fears you either moved, fell of the face of the earth, or ended up in a twelve step programme.

..the kitchen in your flat/home is littered with takeout containers because you no longer have (or take) the time to cook.

...when you meet an acquaintance you haven't seen in a while (or one of the aforementioned friends or pubkeep) and are asked what you've been up to, you begin to describe your latest 3D project in detail, using terms they could never hope to comprehend like subsurface scattering, specularity, IBL, UV mapping, ray depth, etc...

...you spend more on computer hardware, 3D software, plugins, and content then you do on things like clothing, your car, or your family.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • YofielYofiel Posts: 204
    edited December 1969

There was a Sci Fi writer called Philip Jose Farmer, in the 'World of Tier' sieries he said our planet wa s a copy left over from a prior war of universe makers, and everything beyond the moon was really in a drawing, which also emitted photons and other forms of radiation to make us think there was more beyond it.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

I told my band mates the other day, that I am trying to learn how to make a complete 3D replica of myself in DAZ 3D so that I can project a virtual version of myself playing bass on-stage and thus have more time to work on our future music videos - which consequently will use fully 3D modeled versions of us playing on-stage. Oh the irony.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Happy to see the thread alive still because I have a few new ones...

...When watching a Nature show you think that sky looks so fake, I could have done better.
    ...Setting up a scene is more important than the four Police cars across the street with all their lights flashing.
    ...Your clocks go from Am to Pm and your SO sure you just sat down at the Computer a minute ago.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ...Your clocks go from Am to Pm and your SO sure you just sat down at the Computer a minute ago.

Oh yes I so know that one, and raise you this

You put the oven on to heat up, significant other says to you "Is the meat standing on the side meant to be there" you say "I just put the oven on to heat before roasting it" glance at the clock and realise that was over an hour ago. True story, dinner was late yesterday :red:

• jaunke_29fff27795jaunke_29fff27795 Posts: 144
    edited December 1969

:red: Wondering why the 'mirror modfier' doesn't work while shaving.

Or after a shower you dry of one leg and wonder why the other stays wet.

That realy did hapen when i started with 'Blender' and got a bit to deep into it. :ohh:

Grtz Jean-Claude

• jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

funny! i find myself constantly studying brow ridges, jawlines, eyelid folds, nostril creases on the face of everyone i see, wondering at how such tiny differences in form can make such a variety of faces -- i can't watch tv now that it's all HD and you can see every detail, without feeling frustrated about my sculpting/morphing skills, haha! why can't i get my character's nose to look just like that one??!!! arrghhh!

• FuselingFuseling Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

This just happened to me last night. Driving past a grassy area I caught myself thinking, "Wow, that grass looks so real! I wonder how they did it..."

• AlbiejeeAlbiejee Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

2. is the one I've noticed the most,

I watched the movie Ella Enchanted with my kids a while back. The entire movie I was just thinking..3point lighting...really! They have not even tried to match the character lighting to the cgi background.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited February 2013

While out in a public place, you realise you have put your shirt on inside-out and wish it had a 'flip normals' mode.

While baking you worry that using a cookie cutter might ruin the topology of your dough.

You are at an art gallery viewing an exhibition on cubism and go around shouting 'ha! this is more like noobism!'

At times, you wish your digitial camera could export to OBJ

Post edited by Dogz on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You get a small cut on your finger and the first thought through your mind is...I wonder what the RGB value of my blood is.

The second is...Hell, I've got a scanner!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:

At times, you wish your digitial camera could export to OBJ

You mean like this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/915328713/lynx-a-camera

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You Spend fifteen minutes discribing something to somebody and then you get that AH HA. I could do that in 3D then spend 5 days really doing it.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    You get a small cut on your finger and the first thought through your mind is...I wonder what the RGB value of my blood is.

The second is...Hell, I've got a scanner!

HA. I've done that exact thing. Fortunately I did not have a scanner at the time. :D

You're driving and you realize your visual field is 50% road surface even though part of your brain says the road is flat. You lose all sense of visual perspective for an hour as your brain gets stuck in "literal camera" mode. You fear that no line will ever look straight again until you get distracted by something shiny and snap out of it.

edited December 1969

When you go to the mall with teenagers, they get annoyed when you say "there's no point buying that. It's too easy to render."

• MegaPMegaP Posts: 178
    edited February 2013

*Buying sexier clothing for "my girls" than myself.

*Getting way too close to friends,studing their faces to the point of them worried I'm their next stalker.

* Being the only apartment in the street with my lights on at 5 in the morning

*Getting envious of the perfect breasts which can be fixed with a click of the mouse instead of an expensive surgeon.

*Needing to get home asap to "work" on my guys.

*Getting excited about a free g-string or helmet

* "Runtime" is not exercise anymore.

* Wondering where your clothes are and not the real ones in the cupboard.

*And yes,as someone said....friends say "Where in the hell have you been?"

Oh Daz,what have you done to me! I'm a nerd...(but I love it)

Post edited by MegaP on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,758
    edited December 1969

I see two girls in a bar, and in my head I start mixing their bodyparts or morphing them with each other.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I see two girls in a bar, and in my head I start mixing their bodyparts or morphing them with each other.

I did that before 3D.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited February 2013

Ledhead said:

I did that before 3D.
    If you have one of those older SilCorDyne HumaniForm-Recombiner 7600s, you can still find the upgrade kit for the Redundant DNA Resequencer at NewEgg.... its supposed to stop that mutation problem where the left over parts would always reform into an Very Large Angry Mutant and go on a rampage. Its also supposed to reduce evil tendencies in all subsequent clones.
    Too bad I sold mine at a garage sale before they fixed that... oh well.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

I did that before 3D.

If you have one of those older SilCorDyne HumaniForm-Recombiner 7600s, you can still find the upgrade kit for the Redundant DNA Resequencer at NewEgg.... its supposed to stop that mutation problem where the left over parts would always reform into an Very Large Angry Mutant and go on a rampage. Its also supposed to reduce evil tendencies in all subsequent clones.

That was your garage sale I picked that up from? After they updated the Eilsner Fabricator with the new Besco 300T software it works great now. I zapped the ugly gal down the street with it and now she can't keep the guys off of her, literally. Thanks for the equipment. I considered using it on myself but was afraid it would enlarge my manhood to the point where all the women would want me and who wants that kind of trouble.

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    Ledhead said:

I did that before 3D.

That was your garage sale I picked that up from? After they updated the Eilsner Fabricator with the new Besco 300T software it works great now. I zapped the ugly gal down the street with it and now she can't keep the guys off of her, literally. Thanks for the equipment. I considered using it on myself but was afraid it would enlarge my manhood to the point where all the women would want me and who wants that kind of trouble.

I found that the Secondary Sexual Characteristic Modifier add-on they released produces acceptable size moderation results in male subjects, and I was able to use the mix features to give them pretty faces (much as I've had to do with M5). I was able to negotiate with the VLAM, as it turns out, because we both like ice cream.

• FuselingFuseling Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

Now he's a Slightly Fatter but Less Angry Mutant. And he has gone to sleep on your lawn. Apparently all that anger was too exhausting and once he was able to relax with some ice cream he just passed right out.

edited December 1969

fuseling said:
    Now he's a Slightly Fatter but Less Angry Mutant. And he has gone to sleep on your lawn. Apparently all that anger was too exhausting and once he was able to relax with some ice cream he just passed right out.

I'm working on a Giant Angry Quilt Generator as we speak.

edited December 1969

megabixel said:

* "Runtime" is not exercise anymore.

:0 Very smart nerd!

• MegaPMegaP Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

Best compliment I've got all year!!!

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I see any girl anywhere, and my eyes automatically study her hair and wonder if it's available in any of the market places :) (or If I can make it!)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Watching the folds of clothes when people are moving ...