Falloff controls for spotlights in DS4.5P?

2»

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

RSL = Renderman Shader Language, the code in which shaders are written.

Try increasing the gamma - 2.2 would be right if shaders adjusted textures, but they don't and so that tends to look washed out unless you create your own sahders which inverse correct textures, I find 1.5 to 1.8 is a fair compromise to get visible shadow areas without blowing out the textures.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

OOO... wouldn't it be cool if DAZ Studio could read RSL and convert that into a shader?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    OOO... wouldn't it be cool if DAZ Studio could read RSL and convert that into a shader?

well technically thats what the shader builder is for. but yes it would be nice if it read the script files directly.

and if you want a working spotlight with decay, (I couldn't find the sliders for the dzspotlight either) this works, you just have to fiddle with the intensity (i.e. I put the light where I wanted it and kept adding Zeros till it illuminated its target).

Decay-SpotLight.jpg
    1131 x 561 - 81K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

here is how it rendered,

note I have the gamma set to 1.8 and for some unknown reason I used an Indrect light shader camera...

spotlightwDecay.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 160K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

There is a compile RSL shader option in DS, if you don't want to go through Shader Builder. But Shader Builder creates the support files (the scripts that populate the Surfaces pane, for one) which I think need to be done separately with the compile command (I've not used it to be sure).

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Those lights are script samples that were part of the Script Dev kit in DS3, which is now included in DS4 so everyone has access to them, unless they have altered them since earlier builds then these lights don't cast shadows, you will need to edit their main file which is stored beside the main program files to get them to cast shadows.

They don't cast shadows in 4.5 so I'm in hot pursuit for these "DS Defaults" shader lights to get to full potential:
    dzDistantLight.duf
    dzPointLight.duf
    dzSpotLight.duf

Could someone direct me towards editing the main files on a Mac (or does the system even matter)? I've never attempted anything like this.

thanks.