@ DAZ install manager: Why was there a need to create a new "public" default installation location?

Comments

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

The only issue with the zips we have so far is that everything is in a folder called Content - butt hen, Renderosity and a lot of freebie makers do that too.

That's not something that bothers me, personally. I just open my runtime in one Explorer window and the zip file in another and drag things where I want them..

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Spooky has already confirmed that the default path can be changed.

Hi Richard,

Sorry if I missed it...I have been reading both threads and don't recall seeing it anywhere. Would it be possible to point to where it is with a link?

If the default path can be changed to external I'm more than happy to give it a try.

Thanks

Pen

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

I probably should do that instead of extracting to a temp folder and then having to delete all the DS folders when all I want are the Runtime folders.

The only issue with the zips we have so far is that everything is in a folder called Content - butt hen, Renderosity and a lot of freebie makers do that too.

That's not something that bothers me, personally. I just open my runtime in one Explorer window and the zip file in another and drag things where I want them..

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

Just like to reinforce views already expressed. Its best to keep drives for operating system, applications and data separate. Periodically you will have to upgrade the operating system due to an upgrade or virus. Keeping large amounts of data on your c:drive is just silly especially with the popularity of relatively small SSDs. OK so the installer can use your current location but does not recommend it. Why not? What is the downside? I need that explained before I would use the installer. I've hundreds of gigabytes of files and not only from Daz. Its taken weeks to construct my content manager. I cannot simply start again from scratch.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

DAZ has always permitted members of a household to share content - you don't need a separate license for each family member who does 3D, at least as long as they are living at home.

The new EULA packaged with the Install Manager, unlike the old one, specifically says otherwise:
    User may copy the Content onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers. However, use of the Content on any of the computers to which User has installed the Content is for User’s exclusive use and no other individual or entity. Each individual must obtain his/her own license to use the Content.

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited February 2013

Roboman28 said:
    Just like to reinforce views already expressed. Its best to keep drives for operating system, applications and data separate. Periodically you will have to upgrade the operating system due to an upgrade or virus. Keeping large amounts of data on your c:drive is just silly especially with the popularity of relatively small SSDs. OK so the installer can use your current location but does not recommend it. Why not? What is the downside? I need that explained before I would use the installer. I've hundreds of gigabytes of files and not only from Daz. Its taken weeks to construct my content manager. I cannot simply start again from scratch.

This recommendation (as well as the library reinstall) is more for organization within the Installer program...and more-so for the average user who wants to "set it and forget it." The advanced folks can reset defaults anywhere they want and organize each download to go where they want, provided they know what they're doing. (i.e., knowing how not to mess up Genesis files.)

I've just used this thing tonight and it's crazy easy. Set my install filter (remember that term) where I needed it before downloading anything, check the products I wanted (Poser & DS files are still separate with different versions where applicable) hit the Start Queue button and waited. Installation starts up automatically IF that's what you want.

Most of us who like to customize have the sense to pay attention to details, so as long as you tell the program what you want it to do, it will do it.

...and I'm so not uninstalling any of my content until something is outdated/updated...but I like this thing very much after one use.

Edit: One correction about default control...the installer for the program itself has no option to change paths. That annoyed me. I've been trying to keep as many programs OFF my system drive as possible.

Post edited by VoltisArt on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

>hi pendaria,,

I never know what daz plan untill it will be released,
    but I can confirm,, You can change default path to your volume, or your select HD,
    (your daz contents folda) when you use the Install manager.
    as you have done so.

about it do not worry^^

even though you may need to manually (simply copy and paste, or serch the directory from file window,
    at first time, when use new installer, but after that,, installer can record user default locaiton .

or you may need not,, I think.. the installer may read .ini file, then auto applied default install path for each user.
    (I hope so,, it is more useful,, and it is not difficult, at all to make so)

I am not programmer,, but it seems usuall . if the new installer can not change default location,
    DAZ need to apologize every user,, who have changed default location.

• LocusSolusLocusSolus Posts: 59
    edited February 2013

AWSOME!

Glorious!!

That's the way for future! (At least for Daz's store products).

- Installers disk room saves must be up 70% (don't accept "clear after install", so you will be able to reinstall in seconds)
    - Installation mess reduced of 90%
    - Installation speed is airplane compared to bicycle.
    - Easy board to manage installations in # custom directories.
    - Not last and not least, easy way to flash-install one-time-needed stuff in "MyCurrentScene" ad-hoc directory and flash-uninstall it afterward.

And just a question: what about "metadata-turmoil" ?

Edit: I am a DS4 only user, and don't know how this works with Poser.

Post edited by LocusSolus on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,716
    edited December 1969

DAZ has always permitted members of a household to share content - you don't need a separate license for each family member who does 3D, at least as long as they are living at home.

The new EULA packaged with the Install Manager, unlike the old one, specifically says otherwise:
    User may copy the Content onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers. However, use of the Content on any of the computers to which User has installed the Content is for User’s exclusive use and no other individual or entity. Each individual must obtain his/her own license to use the Content.

So I noticed from another thread - I will ask about that.

edited February 2013

Temporarily removed.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,327
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • Acudia4151Acudia4151 Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Is the DIM out if so where can i download it?

edited December 1969

Acudia3D said:
    Is the DIM out if so where can i download it?

It's being sent out to a limited number of people at a time, as a preview - my copy came a few hours ago.

• ken_7dac5ac5a2ken_7dac5ac5a2 Posts: 54
    edited February 2013

I am impressed. It seems to work well and do what I want. I have content going back to Studio 1. It is in several different locations, usually corresponding to the convention at the time. It is in folders scattered over the file system, and none is the default. I did make yet another location, since it strongly suggested doing so. It installed there and so far the content all appears in Studio and appears to work even though Genesis is not installed in that location. Thus it looks like you can put your content pretty much where you like.

I was not planning on uninstalling much at this time, but I tried a few. It is tedious to run the uninstallers and re-download the products. In addition, it is not really necessary since it all works where it is. It would be just for consistency and ease of management, and can be done later. It seems to be your choice whether to do this (always a good thing). In other words, it should not interfere with your current way of storing content. I would be cautious before trying to reinstall Gen 4 and earlier content.

I found the UI pretty easy to use and understand. It is certainly orders of magnitude easier to download, install, and manage your content in my opinion. It eliminates the problem of separating the Mac from the PC downloads among other things and should eliminate all-nighters when you download a big bundle.

It does seem to use the C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D folder independently of where the content is stored. It would be nice to have this and where the executable is installed be configurable, but it isn't a biggie to me. It should not be hard to move the content to a different computer. It is not clear what has to be done to move the installer files, but hopefully copying the files in this folder would be most of it.

In short, it seems well done and provides a real benefit in managing content.

I would suggest looking at the 3 YouTube videos first.

Post edited by ken_7dac5ac5a2 on
    edited February 2013

I discovered that I am getting a lot of errors in the DIM log like:

WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 4 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 4 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 2 unknown for QWidget)

When Googling for this I didn't find any explanations except possibly problems with content created in DS 4.0. The content I download with DIM was all recent.

Is there an explanation?

• DigitalrdwDigitalrdw Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

I am impressed. It seems to work well and do what I want. I have content going back to Studio 1. It is in several different locations, usually corresponding to the convention at the time. It is in folders scattered over the file system, and none is the default. I did make yet another location, since it strongly suggested doing so. It installed there and so far the content all appears in Studio and appears to work even though Genesis is not installed in that location. Thus it looks like you can put your content pretty much where you like.

I was not planning on uninstalling much at this time, but I tried a few. It is tedious to run the uninstallers and re-download the products. In addition, it is not really necessary since it all works where it is. It would be just for consistency and ease of management, and can be done later. It seems to be your choice whether to do this (always a good thing). In other words, it should not interfere with your current way of storing content. I would be cautious before trying to reinstall Gen 4 and earlier content.

I found the UI pretty easy to use and understand. It is certainly orders of magnitude easier to download, install, and manage your content in my opinion. It eliminates the problem of separating the Mac from the PC downloads among other things and should eliminate all-nighters when you download a big bundle.

It does seem to use the C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D folder independently of where the content is stored. It would be nice to have this and where the executable is installed be configurable, but it isn't a biggie to me. It should not be hard to move the content to a different computer. It is not clear what has to be done to move the installer files, but hopefully copying the files in this folder would be most of it.

In short, it seems well done and provides a real benefit in managing content.

I would suggest looking at the 3 YouTube videos first.

I do not have room on my "C" drive to install content and I do not see a way to tell the Install Manager to install to a different location other than the C drive location. Am I just missing something? Is there any way to keep the content from installing to the "C" drive at all? If not I can not use the Manager.

edited December 1969

I do not have room on my "C" drive to install content and I do not see a way to tell the Install Manager to install to a different location other than the C drive location. Am I just missing something? Is there any way to keep the content from installing to the "C" drive at all? If not I can not use the Manager.

Go to Settings | Installation tab. Settings is the gear button at the top right. Use the + button to add a directory. Use the "Install To" pulldown menu to select the new item. It seems to remember that setting.

I only have one account. I read somewhere that you could make that setting for each account. Presumably you could have different accounts to install to different places if you need that, but I haven't tried it. It seems to be pretty flexible.

• roger_8a3dce01bfroger_8a3dce01bf Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

OK, so I uninstalled all my daz content last night and left DIM to download and install everything (490 products!) again.
    Seems to have worked well except now I have tons of yellow triangle all over my content libraries? Also, there seems to be doubling up of content. I understand these are hangovers from the previous installs but anyone know how to clean out my manager so it only shows the correct installed content?

Cheers

Apart from that, DIM is awesome! Much easier than resetting and re-downloading manually

edited December 1969

If you didn't reset the database then the old references are still there; right-click on the Content Library pane's tab and from the menu select Content DB Maintenance, then in the dialogue check Remove Orphaned File references and click Accept.

edited December 1969

Hi Richard,

Yep, that's the first thing I tried. The triangles are all over the 'Smart' content lists and not the actual content library windows. They seem OK.
    But I now have multiple 'Genesis' entries in smart content, along with duped figure types etc.

I've tried pretty much all of the CD maintenance options but they aren't fixing the smart content

I've also installed the Daz Studio Pro latest release but that hasn't fixed it either

Cheers

edited December 1969

Did you customise your categories at all? If not you may want to reset the DB, then reimport Metadata to get back to a basic setup.

edited February 2013

I notice that Genesis Starter Essentials is in my Ready to Download list. The download date is 12/4/2012 and the order date is 9/17/2012. Since this apparently needs to be reinstalled for each new version of Studio and is critical, it is perhaps different than other products. I last downloaded it 2/2/2013 for DS 4.5.1.56. This is not the download date listed.

I did not uninstall it nor download it via DIM owing to this inconsistency and uncertainty. I mention it (1) because I would like more information and (2) it might explain the yellow markers on the smart content for RojHarris (if he downloaded it with DIM).

edited December 1969

Hi Kenneth,

Good points. I did indeed uninstall then re-download via DIM. Perhaps I should re-download the essentials the usual way just to be sure.
    Yes, I think I'll do that now.

Cheers
    Roger

edited February 2013

Thanks Richard, resetting and re-importing metadata worked perfectly. All nice and clean now.

Cheers
    Roger

Update: No, its not clean, there are now tons of duplicates.. 2 stephanies, 2 victorias, 2 genesis', etc etc. grrrrr..

Post edited by roger_8a3dce01bf on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

RojHarris said:
    Thanks Richard, resetting and re-importing metadata worked perfectly. All nice and clean now.

Cheers
    Roger

Update: No, its not clean, there are now tons of duplicates.. 2 stephanies, 2 victorias, 2 genesis', etc etc. grrrrr..

DId you install both the Legacy and DS4.5 content? If so, that'll double up things.

The other possibility is that you have recursive directories defined (e.g., the same sub-path defined twice).

edited December 1969

RojHarris said:

Cheers
    Roger

Are the file locations of the duplicates the same or different? That might give a clue.
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,327
    edited February 2013

RojHarris said:

Cheers
    Roger

Sometimes for me it helps to use "Scan known Directories for Files" from the options menu of the Content Library.

This removed some files with orange (!) marks that were dublicates or left overs from files I did not reinstall for me quite often in the past.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

The content will move to zips, as I understand it - that was publicly stated some time ago - so there won't be mac and Windows files, just a single zip.

So does that mean that I would have to download the Mac Stuff too even though I only want to have the PC files?
    Given the fact that DAZ's site is sometimes awfully slow (once it took nearly 20 minutes for me to download a tiny simple texture template zip. And no, it wasn't my connection speed, downloaded a file from shareCG after that which was about 10 times larger in a 10th of the time needed to download that from DAZ).

The for me most important question about your new DIM is: will it be that clever that it would install only those files of a product which I really essentially need? I currently don't use Poser nor I'd ever want to hassle around with it's crappy UI.
    Can I tell your DIM "forget Poser stuff, I only need the DS files!"? But I strongly guess the anwer will be: "No, sorry".

So if an Install Manager doesn't really help me out managing my content installations, for what would I really need it?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The content will move to zips, as I understand it - that was publicly stated some time ago - so there won't be mac and Windows files, just a single zip.

So does that mean that I would have to download the Mac Stuff too even though I only want to have the PC files?
    Given the fact that DAZ's site is sometimes awfully slow (once it took nearly 20 minutes for me to download a tiny simple texture template zip. And no, it wasn't my connection speed, downloaded a file from shareCG after that which was about 10 times larger in a 10th of the time needed to download that from DAZ).

The for me most important question about your new DIM is: will it be that clever that it would install only those files of a product which I really essentially need? I currently don't use Poser nor I'd ever want to hassle around with it's crappy UI.
    Can I tell your DIM "forget Poser stuff, I only need the DS files!"? But I strongly guess the anwer will be: "No, sorry".

So if an Install Manager doesn't really help me out managing my content installations, for what would I really need it?

No, the content is the same for Mac and PC, there were 2 versions before because the installers are platform specific. The zip doesn't need to be different for the 2 platforms.

And yes, you CAN tell IM exactly what programs you use, and you'll receive just the downloads intended for that system (if there are multiple versions -- in some cases there is only one version for all programs).

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

No, the content is the same for Mac and PC, there were 2 versions before because the installers are platform specific. The zip doesn't need to be different for the 2 platforms.

Nice! Imagine a sigh of relief here. :)

And yes, you CAN tell IM exactly what programs you use, and you'll receive just the downloads intended for that system (if there are multiple versions -- in some cases there is only one version for all programs.

Sounds also nice downloadwise. But what I really wanted to know is, if a download contains DS and Poser related stuff, will it install only the things I need or will it be like in the past that it will install everything inside?

For example, I got the Victoria 4 figure when it was still available for free. When I installed the package I had some files twice, .pzs's for Poser and .dsb's for DS for the same poses and skin textures. As a DS user I don't need the .pz2's, all they do is causing confusion in the Content Tab for a newbie I was (and still am :)) and wasting drivespace.

Will I be able to tell DIM that it shall only install the DS files and leave the Poser ones alone if a download contains both formats?
    That would be a clever DIM I'd get on my system without second thought. :)