IRay 1.3.0 vMaterial Library for D|S

MCDLabsMCDLabs Posts: 33
edited July 2018 in Freebies

III am working on the current NVidea MDL vMaterial Library and setting it up as DazStudio Shaders.
If you look at the Shader Mixer and ponder what all those bricks do and how to link them together, this is for you.
The FIRST set of 36 shaders is done and up at
https://www.sharecg.com/v/88112/view/21/DAZ-Studio/IRAY-vMaterials-for-DAZ-Studio

This is pretty extensive as some MDL files actually have MULTIPLE set ups in them. But I am slugging through it and plan to have a set of 36 done and up every 1-3 days, depending on my mood and how long I can sit at my desk.

NOTE:

To use these shaders you MUST download and install the NVIDIA vMaterials located at:

https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

If you do not have it installed all ready the vMaterials installer will prompt you to install the MDL Exchange.

The default install locations for these are:

vMaterials: C:\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl

MDL Exchange: C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl

Once you have vMaterials installed you need to get the base MDLs to be recognized by DazStudio

Move the vMaterials folder from its default location (\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl)
to your defalt DazStudio installation (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia)
You should notice  abunch of other MDL files here. This is NOT your Content Library this is located under program files!!!)
(IF you did not install DazStudio to its default location your location may be diferent)

Second place the products in this ZIP file in your DAZ3D Library like you would any other item.
Third open your shader mixer in DazStudio and then use Edit > MDL Directory Manager and select
C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation

This should cover all your MDLs being detected by DAZStudio

Any way jump over and grab these and have fun.

It presently appears the the ShareCG links do not work. ~Mod

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

thanks

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

Many thanks! I found it easier to use Option 2 (I didn't seem to have the same path for the older MDLs in Option 1).

Hmmm, since installing them, my DA iray fabric shaders render white (if I remove them with an Uber shader load the object renders okay, but I lose the DA additions). Trying to launch the MDL Manager in the Shader Mixer also makes DS hang. Anyone having similar issues? Is there any way to remove the MDL library without using the Shader Mixer? (Reinstalling DS is a major hassle as it's on an offline PC.)

• MCDLabsMCDLabs Posts: 33

basically you need Daz to know where the MDLs are located. and the MDL Exchange is supposedly required for the vMaterial Library to work.
    One thing you will notice compared to the Ubershader is these are more streamlined. The Uber shader pretty much is one BIG shader that performs everything, where the vMaterials are do not include all the Ubershader additional stuff ( why to you need light emission if your making water example) Also some of the MDLs call for the textures and bumps in the actual file so you do not and cannot adjust those.
    As for why is it interfering with DA's Iray Fabric shaders I have no Idea.

The way I have mine set up is Daz Studio is installed to its default location C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\.... I moved the vMaterials folder from its original location in C:\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl..
    to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia\...   You SHOULD see a bunch of other MDL files located here.

THIS is seperate from your DAZ LIBRARY!!!! (for example mines located on the root directory of its own Hard Drive)
    I also directed the MDL Directory manager to C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation.
    You can also place them under this as well if you want. I did that at one point. But decided to move the MDLs to one central locaiton leaving the root files where they were.

edited May 2017

Do you know if adding the MDL library in the Shader Mixer MDL Directory Manager changes anything in the Registry? It also turns out my iray decal nodes have stopped rendering. My original NVidia MDL examples were in Shader Presets, not Shaders, so we seem to have had a different default setup anyway.

Post edited by Jimbow on
    edited May 2017

Sorry, it was late last night (UK) and I hadn't moved the MDL library to the right place (under the Program Files path). But I just did, and the MDL Dir Manager is still hanging DS when it's launched from the Shader Mixer or from under Edit.

Just to be clear, I think what you're doing is great. I just seem to have run across a glitch.

Added: After moving the /mdl library to the Program Files path, these new shaders render white. When I drag them back to the /User path the new shaders render fine (even with a live session running). Probably something to do with the MDL Dir Manager being locked into looking in a certain place.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • The problems could be with a version installer?

When I go to https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials the link for the vmaterials is for nvidia_vmaterials_v1.4.exe not v1.3

Thanks Darren. I think I need to just reinstall DS as I can't find a way to edit the MDL Directory Manager.dsx, and nothing related shows up in the registry.

all the vMaterials installer actually does is copy the MDL files. vMaterials isnt an "app" per se. its more a zip file in exe format. You can open a MDL file in any Text editor.

The NVIDIA_VMATERIALS_VERSION says : This is NVIDIA vMaterials Version 1.3.0 (Build 261500.21994) so thats what I went off.
    Also I changed the recomended locations of where to place the libraries and where to point the MDL Directory Manager to the EXACT set up I have. see image1 and image2

My understanding is that the MDL files in vMaterials reference files in MDL Exchange so you should not move it. You may not have to point the MDL Manager there at all but I did to cover my bases.
    Initially I place vMaterials in the same directory as the MDL Exchange( which also worked) but chose to place it instead where it is now.
    You can tell if DazStudio recognizes your MDL location by attempting to drag and drop a MDL into the Shader Mixer. (IF it works DAZStudio recognizes it, if it doesn't then you need to point the MDL Manager to them)

The question is is anyone else having problems?

Image1.jpg
    1086 x 838 - 519K
    Image2.jpg
    465 x 461 - 78K

Hmmm....I've never messed with shader MDL stuff before outside of Surfaces. I will give it a try tomorrow...and hope my iRay rendering still works. I have DAZ 4.9.3.166 64 bit on Windows 10 Creative Update 64 bit.

then you should be fine as thats exactly what I have :)

OK, so I

1) Ran the nVidia iRay vMateriels installer and it proceded to tell me I was missing a needed prerequisite so it offered to download the prerequisite & install it & I let it. I left everything to the default settings and install locations contained in the installer.

2) I started DAZ Studio & added the vMaterials location to the MDL Shader Material path as explained by option 2 in your install README. I exited DAZ Studio.

3) copied the nVidia iRay Presets Shaders you make into my top level DAZ Library Shader Presets folder

4) I started DAZ Studio and use the Apartment Living Room and apply the 'Carpet Squares' to the 'Floor' portion of the set's surfaces on the apt_interior. It works but the Surfaces for the 'Floor' is not like the other DAZ Studio surfaces. eg, There is a 'Base Mixing heading and directly under is a drop down menu 'PBR Metallicity/Roughness' or 'PBR Specular/Glossiness' or Weighted.

The surfaces tab for the material I applied from you preset is missing many of the surfaces adjustments DAZ Studio iRay users are used to and it's not an all-in-one shader like the DAZ UeberIray and other iRay presets.

I think that is why Jimbow lost many of the properties he was talking about and not an install error on his part. 

Correct The base MDLs are NOT part of the Uber Shader.
    The Uber shader is unique to DAzStudio and is an attempt to place as many options as possible into a single shader. For some people thats great.
    These shaders are NOT Ubershaders they are direct shaders from the vMaterials Library. Yo0u don't need an emission setting for a marble surface for example) sure the Uber shader can do that.
    If you look at the nVidea iRay shaders taht preinstalled with DazStudio they also do NOT use the Ubershader.
    These shaders are an attempt to make them the same as the MDL concept. If you apply an iRay shader of Carbon Steel Diamond Plate to a surface in 3DStudio max or Maya. you can apply the same shader here in Daz Studio and get the SAME effect. Many of the effects you may have in the Ubdershaders are actually happening behind the scenes, for example Carpet Squares allows you to change the colors of the base carpet and the squares, but the mask for the pattern is operating behind the scenes.

I attempted at one point to put in an adjustment setting (it does exist in the MDL as a float2) but when using 2 seperate F2 2 input bricks they appear as combined in the output with the x y resizing options.

OK, thanks

OH BTW all.
    I have the 2nd and 3rd set out
    set 2 has over 80 metal shaders

set 3 has water and oil (liquids) , Masonry (herringbone and red bricks), Paint (one color but with all the diferent finish types you can change the color of course) 2 types ofd Rubber flooring, and stone shaders (Terracotta, Granite, Marble & Quartz)

Yep got 2 out today, LOL

thanks

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

I saw somewhere that the Nvidia Iray plugin is a free 90 day trial, and costs $295 after that if you want to keep using them.

Will we be able to use your conversions after that?  Seems there might be a legal issue in there somewhere.

dHandle said:

I saw somewhere that the Nvidia Iray plugin is a free 90 day trial, and costs $295 after that if you want to keep using them.

Will we be able to use your conversions after that?  Seems there might be a legal issue in there somewhere.

You'd only be using the nVidia iRay vMaterials not the nVidia iRay plugin, which DAZ Studio has already built-in.

Thats correct the vLibrary is free. Its sownload is hosted on the same page that hosts the various iRay plugins that are 90 day trials. The vMaterial MDL files are distributed freely as they can only be used by an applicaiton that has the iRay plugin or that utilize it on its own. SO HUG your nearest DAZ employee because they include the iRay renderer in DazStudio 4.8.0.59.
    The benifit is that there can be a lot of MDLs available for DazStudio from developers outside our sphere, such as in the May , 3DSmax, etc worlds.
    For example I have found an awesom set of automotive MDLs that I am converting for my own private use , I may release the duf files with a link to the MDL download after I finish up with the vMaterials.

Speaking of File 4 is done and up at Sharecg
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/88159/view/21/DAZ-Studio/IRAY-vMaterials-for-DAZ-Studio-Part-4

has about 89 various shaders of stucco, wallpaper and ceramic & stone tiling.

4-tiles1.png
    1363 x 1363 - 3M
  • Tim NTim N Posts: 193

These are wonderful shaders. Thank you!  smiley

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    MCDLabs said:

I am working on the current NVidea MDL vMaterial Library and setting it up as DazStudio Shaders.

This is pretty extensive as some MDL files actually have MULTIPLE set ups in them. But I am slugging through it and plan to have a set of 36 done and up every 1-3 days, depending on my mood and how long I can sit at my desk.

Any way jump over and grab these and have fun.

I have a feeling when I actually understand what you've done here, and have the need for these, that I'm going to *really* appreciate the work you've put into this contribution, especially since it appears that using these settings might allow for consistent cross-platform results in the various nvidia/iray realms (which is why I currently use reality/lux-render).

I've pulled your sets and the mentioned nvidia dependencies, 'PDF'-d this discussion, and tucked it all into a folder that I'm certain will be very much appreciated in the very near future.

FWIW, I noticed the Paypal/Donate button at shareCG and will honor that when I get my act together and actually use this generous resource!

Much thanks in advance,

--ms

and finally the 5th AEC set is up 44+ wood shaders

https://www.sharecg.com/v/88176/view/21/DAZ-Studio/IRAY-vMaterials-for-DAZ-Studio-Part-5

This finishes the AEC shaders.

Now eyeballing the Design shaders wich is another 100+ MDLs (which probally have multiple shader settings within each)

Mindsong..basically the MDL files are coded to be crossplatform usable. In Daz Studio we cannot just drop them in our content library and go.

Each MDL file functions as a brick in the Shader Mixer (DazStudio has some allready installed, but many have been renamed or altered) Basically you have to put them where DazStudio can read them, and then pull them into the shader mixer and set them up:
    Basically from Left to Right you will have a User Parameter Brick -> MDL (Custom) Brick -> MDL Surface Brick
    Then you link them together into the appropiate nodes. adding more bricks if necessary for translation.

the reason you need the nVidea files is because DazStudio will not recognize the Brick unless it is installed. I suggest the MDL Exchange because it contains some core files that additional MDL files call upon. So I have Daz Studio point to its default installation location. and MOVE the vMaterials directly to where the default location that DAZ uses to recognize its already installed MDLs but by dragging the whole folder we dont take a chance of overwriting any existing files.

When I mention multiple settings inside a single MDL heres an example:

The Metal_Aged_Disc_Mosaic.mdl has variable Disc Color and Grout Color settings.
    within the actual MDL file are the settings for Antique Copper, Copper, Antique Silver, Vintage Brass, Silver, Pearl, and Carbon Steel (Black Tin)
    But if you just drop the brick into the Shader Mixer and connect the only one that will appear is the First one. There are 2 options at this point, you can cut the file up into 7 diferent files and save each of them individually. But that changes the file names and the content. OR us the #link to the appropiate settings within the MDL and adjust the parameters in the root input and then save the seperate .dufs. 
    Another option, Like i did in the wood set. is to save a base version of each one and then supply the alternate settings for the desired presets, putting the adjustments on the end user.

ok a little heads up on the Design Surface Shaders.
    These fabrics are looking awesome (if I do say so myself) and may be the ONLY fabric shaders you ever need again.
    The iRay fabric model can be separated into three parts:

1. The appearance of the warp: a set of straight strings
    2. The appearance of the weft: a set of periodically curving strings
    3. The appearance of the fabric: a combination of the warp and weft with iridescence and translucency

So these shaders actually ask for the color input of the warp and weft strands of the fabric and in many cases set other parametrs to the strings (metalic, transluceny etc)
    heres some examples.

plaid flanel.png
    960 x 538 - 374K

amd silk

silk.png
    956 x 540 - 369K

Wow, awesome. 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    MCDLabs said:

and finally the 5th AEC set is up 44+ wood shaders

Mindsong..basically the MDL files are coded to be crossplatform usable.

That's what I thought I read... Thanks for the additional usage overview and details - this makes sense and ... you rock.

--ms

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469

Great work, thanks. Noticed that all Ground shaders have normal map in bump field and bump map in normal field.

• mahhenmahhen Posts: 73

Hi, i have been playing whit the same problem, what might accur when you go change base paths in mdl directory. I posted abouth it here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/168546/need-help-i-might-have-broken-something-when-playing-shader-mixer-and-mdl-directory-manager#latest

If anyone have answer how to fix it. I would be soo happy :)

edited May 2017

Great work, thanks. Noticed that all Ground shaders have normal map in bump field and bump map in normal field.

Yeah now that you mention it I see that too, you can easily flip them. looking at the mdl code

uniform texture_2d normal_texture =  texture_2d ( "nvidia/vMaterials/AEC/textures/leaves_nrm.jpg" , ::tex::gamma_linear)
        [[
            anno::display_name("Bump"),
            anno::description("Attach bump map here."),
            anno::in_group("Appearance")
        ]],
        uniform texture_2d bump_texture =  texture_2d ( "nvidia/vMaterials/AEC/textures/leaves_bmp.jpg" , ::tex::gamma_default)
        [[
            anno::display_name("Normal"),
            anno::description("Attach normal map here."),
        ]],

though it appears whoever wrote it accidently flipped them in the anno section. So even though they look incorrect, they are correctly placed.

OH Mahhen I responded in your linked discussion, I am not exactly sure what you are saying the prolem is, are you trying to use the iRay shaders in 3Delight?
    That wont work very well.

AND FINALLY. Instead of slamming them out piecemeal i did the Design shaders in one big package, which is available now at
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/88268/view/21/DAZ-Studio/IRAY-vMaterials-for-DAZ-Studio-Design-Shaders

Lovely shaders, some awesome Fabrics, and a great rusted steel shader ( welll a series of 5 getting progressivly ore rusted)

I am planning on modding some of these shaders for future releases...enjoy all

Post edited by MCDLabs on
    edited May 2017
    MCDLabs said:

Yeah now that you mention it I see that too, you can easily flip them. looking at the mdl code

uniform texture_2d normal_texture =  texture_2d ( "nvidia/vMaterials/AEC/textures/leaves_nrm.jpg" , ::tex::gamma_linear)
        [[
            anno::display_name("Bump"),
            anno::description("Attach bump map here."),
        ]],
        uniform texture_2d bump_texture =  texture_2d ( "nvidia/vMaterials/AEC/textures/leaves_bmp.jpg" , ::tex::gamma_default)
        [[
            anno::display_name("Normal"),
            anno::description("Attach normal map here."),
        ]],

though it appears whoever wrote it accidently flipped them in the anno section. So even though they look incorrect, they are correctly placed.

OH Mahhen I responded in your linked discussion, I am not exactly sure what you are saying the prolem is, are you trying to use the iRay shaders in 3Delight?
    That wont work very well.

AND FINALLY. Instead of slamming them out piecemeal i did the Design shaders in one big package, which is available now at
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/88268/view/21/DAZ-Studio/IRAY-vMaterials-for-DAZ-Studio-Design-Shaders

Lovely shaders, some awesome Fabrics, and a great rusted steel shader ( welll a series of 5 getting progressivly ore rusted)

I am planning on modding some of these shaders for future releases...enjoy all

Thanks.

Does this cumulative have the normal & bump maps for ground already switched?

Post edited by nonesuch00 on