sales tax

Comments

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

The store is now charging taxes? These are intangible items, the California Board of Equalization is very clear about this, there are no sale taxes on intangible products. You need to charge taxes only when a CD is shipping.

edited December 1969

DAZ 3D is required to collect sales tax for several states. The ones that I'm aware of are Utah, Texas, California, and now Georgia. There may be some others. I have the administrators looking into this.

For California this is not true. Not only the text of the law is clear, look for "tangible goods", but I actually went to the office of the State Board of Equalization when I started selling software in my own, to verify in person. They confirmed that, unless you ship a CD, a USB or any other physical support for the software, if the software is downloaded directly, there is no taxation required. In fact I was not even required to obtain a reseller certificate.

The regulations for sales taxes can be downloaded from the State Board of Equalization website.

Hope this helps

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Paolo, there are more details later in the thread. It sounds like DAZ is trying to fix this for CA residents, and I've heard that some people have requested and received refunds of CA sales tax they have paid.

edited December 1969

Thank you Scott.
    As it was yeaterday the tax was still applied. I stopped my checkout because of that. Once the issue is fixed I will recomsider purchasing but for now I suspended my purchases at DAZ. I'll keep an eye on it.

Best.

• eric suscheric susch Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I was charged tax in NY awhile back, just after the website changed. I sent in a support ticket for a refund (Request #101638 ) but I didn't get a response to the ticket at all. Nothing. Is there anyone over there at DAZ?

I don't mind the occasional problem but these issues aren't being addressed. That's just not acceptable.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Have you tried calling them. They are swamped in CS tickets, so it may take longer then normal.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2012

I was charged tax in NY awhile back, just after the website changed. I sent in a support ticket for a refund (Request #101638 ) but I didn't get a response to the ticket at all. Nothing. Is there anyone over there at DAZ?

I don't mind the occasional problem but these issues aren't being addressed. That's just not acceptable.

When did you put the ticket in? I had the same issue and submitted a ticket last Thursday. It was resolved today and I got the (NY) tax I paid credited to my account. If it doesn't/didn't get fixed today, it's probably worth calling about.
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • eric suscheric susch Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

The problem order was from May 27th, I sent in a support ticket on June 1st. I guess I'll have to call.

• trilltrill Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

First post on this thread was 23 May, now it's 12 June. DAZ still hasn't fixed the problem. I'm a patient person, but c'mon DAZ almost a month. :-/ From a vendor viewpoint aren't you losing money, after all people have said they won't buy until it is fixed.

Hopefully the powers that be will keep the Mods and Admins apraised of the staus of the various fixes. At least they got the PC coupon out.:lol:

edited December 1969

We are updating everyone as we are getting updated.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

I STILL have not heard back from my support request submitted 5/24 for overcharged items (cart price higher than advertised) and sales tax on $400 sales from this new store. I STOPPED SHOPPING and WONT until my support request is answered. I opened a redundant ticket today incase the initial request was "lost in the system". Somehow...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

What exactly do you mean by a redundant ticket ?

Did you re-open an old ticket that had been marked as closed, or did you in fact open a New ticket.?

A call to the toll free number may be a good way of getting your issue fixed.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Hi Chohole, RE: "What exactly do you mean by a redundant ticket ?" First request was when Zen was out of commission so it was an E-Mail. I did follow up with support about a week later, and the person who answered phone said support was back up (biusy) however he did assure me my email was transcribed to a Zen ticket. I didn't get a ticket #, and after another 8-10 days decided to submit my own ticket. I really don't know if its redundant because I don't have a way to follow up on the original email/ticket.

IS THERE A WAY TO SEE your Open Tickets in Zen Desk or under User Account? If not, perhaps this query should be a feature in the user account management form.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

Well I don't know where they hide tham, nor does the colleague I am taking to, so we think that the best way to follow a support ticket up is to save the confirmation email you should receive, saying your ticket has been reeived by Zendesk. THere is a clickable link on that email.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well I don't know where they hide tham, nor does the colleague I am taking to, so we think that the best way to follow a support ticket up is to save the confirmation email you should receive, saying your ticket has been reeived by Zendesk. THere is a clickable link on that email.

On the main DAZ Page, click Help > Contact Us > Submit New Request

At the top of THAT page, there's a "Check Your Existing Requests" tab. Click there.

edited June 2012

Thanks ADAMR001, I didn't click the SUBMIT TICKET button to look for existing tickets. Now I see how the menu works. OK this explains why support has not responded. As it appears they did NOT log my original email, and the chap on the phone was NOT giving me accurate info about a ticket existing. I was "managed".
    Perhaps consider relabel of that green button to "Ticket Management" or such to avoid navigation confusion.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
    edited December 1969

...SO I GUESS THAT PUTS ME AT THE BACK OF THE SUPPORT REQUEST LINE ? >:( Yesterday I felt "Managed", today I feel blown off...

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I've passed your case on to those I can... Dunno if it'll help but it won't hurt.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited June 2012

I'm troubled by DAZ_bfurner's stickied post from yesterday that says:

2. Sales Tax –
    a. We charge sales tax in the following states: California, Georgia, Texas and Utah. The only State that will change is California as we move some facilities. Edit for a correction: Illinois and Pennsylvania customers will not be charged sales tax. Sorry for the miss information.

Unless I'm misreading, that seems to suggest that DAZ still believes they need to collect for California. This is simply not so, as we in this thread have learned and been pointing out again and again. There is a law specifically about this, and it has nothing to do with facilities being moved or not moved. It has to do with software and digital downloads, which is what DAZ sells.

Editing to add: If it were so, Apple would need to charge me tax for every app, etc. I download from them. They do not do so. They are based in California, and they had a hand in influencing the relevant law. That should answer anybody's doubts, and this should not be troublesome.

Post edited by Storypilot on
    edited December 1969

2. Sales Tax –
    a. We charge sales tax in the following states: California, Georgia, Texas and Utah. The only State that will change is California as we move some facilities. Edit for a correction: Illinois and Pennsylvania customers will not be charged sales tax. Sorry for the miss information.

Unless I'm misreading, that seems to suggest that DAZ still believes they need to collect for California. This is simply not so, as we in this thread have learned and been pointing out again and again. There is a law specifically about this, and it has nothing to do with facilities being moved or not moved. It has to do with software and digital downloads, which is what DAZ sells.

Editing to add: If it were so, Apple would need to charge me tax for every app, etc. I download from them. They do not do so. They are based in California, and they had a hand in influencing the relevant law. That should answer anybody's doubts, and this should not be troublesome.

The only State that will change is California as we move some facilities

That's what I read out of it.
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2012

Frank0314 said:

2. Sales Tax –

The only State that will change is California as we move some facilities

That's what I read out of it.

What does that mean? They will stop collecting Califonria sales tax when "we move some facilities"..?

Why don't they stop collection now as they did with New York, as it has been pointed out they have no legal basis for collecting California sales tax based on current (Feb 2012) State Board of Equalization regulations for internet purchases of downloadable digital products.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub109/

To add insult to injury, the tax rate they are collecting is HIGHER than the sales tax rate in the county where I live.

Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

I put in a support ticket - I'd been holding off, assuming there would be a broad solution coming if I was patient, and that DAZ understood that this was a problem. If they don't see it as a problem, then that is a different matter.

I am hoping that Frank and the other moderators are able to pass the information re: California from this thread on up the chain to their contacts as well. It doesn't seem appropriate to go wail about it in the stickied threads when we have this dedicated one, but it is way back here on whatever godforsaken page this is. Hopefully it is getting attention, as it is a serious matter if this is not a glitch in the store but rather an intentional decision based on a misinformed understanding of California policy.

edited December 1969

We are inquiring about it.

edited December 1969

The Store Issues announcement at the top of the forum was just update. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2055_98/. The portion in red is what your looking for.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    The Store Issues announcement at the top of the forum was just update. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2055_98/. The portion in red is what your looking for.

Phew, wonderful to see. Many thanks, Frank!

edited December 1969

Seems to me they were just waiting for confirmation for the dept of taxation in CA.

• trilltrill Posts: 43
    edited June 2012

Thank you Frank, used my PC coupon and got February Daisy for $4 plus change and Yes no sales tax.:cheese: Now on to to catching my credit card! ;-)

Post edited by trill on
    edited December 1969

That's good. We have confirmation that it is actually working.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

I was waiting for this. Glad to see the California tax issue is resolved.

I can confirm I had no tax applied to a CA purchase I just made, so all ye Californians go digital shopping again. Though, I am a little bummed about not getting the product I wanted that was on sale back when I first posted in this thread. Oh well, C'est la vie.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

From what I've been hearing in the news all this may change as all internet sales will be required to have sales tax added