Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    ketthrove said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Will there be a nice Help document with step-by-step instructions for the various install scenarios included in the purchase of the new DIM?

The videos mention a docs site at the end but as this isn't released yet I'm not sure what will be at it or if they are ready yet.

Yes, I noticed that, however, I was hoping for a more "officially confirmed" answer.

More official than the "official videos?"

Yes - I am looking for more detailed steps than those shown in the videos. E.g. you want to use a brand new (empty) folder for new content. How do you retain your old way of categorizing using the new DIM?

OR - you want to use your old folder system i.e. switch the path to your old path instead of using the Public default path AND still have your existing content categorized along with the opportunity to categorize your new content according to your existing categories.More detailed than the docs referred to in the video?

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    ketthrove said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Will there be a nice Help document with step-by-step instructions for the various install scenarios included in the purchase of the new DIM?

The videos mention a docs site at the end but as this isn't released yet I'm not sure what will be at it or if they are ready yet.

Yes, I noticed that, however, I was hoping for a more "officially confirmed" answer.

More official than the "official videos?"

Yes - I am looking for more detailed steps than those shown in the videos. E.g. you want to use a brand new (empty) folder for new content. How do you retain your old way of categorizing using the new DIM?

OR - you want to use your old folder system i.e. switch the path to your old path instead of using the Public default path AND still have your existing content categorized along with the opportunity to categorize your new content according to your existing categories.More detailed than the docs referred to in the video?
    Given that the docs referred to in the video aren't available, absolutely anything would be more detailed than them.

edited December 1969

Given that the docs referred to in the video aren't available, absolutely anything would be more detailed than them.
    If you say so. ;-)
    edited December 1969

If I am mistaken about them not being available, please give a link. If I am not mistaken, then I still say that absolutely anything is more detailed than nothing.

edited December 1969

If I am mistaken about them not being available, please give a link. If I am not mistaken, then I still say that absolutely anything is more detailed than nothing.
    Once the product has been released, then they are linked from within the product. They aren't finished so I am not going to tell you where to look for them, that doesn't mean they do not exist, or are not available. And that is as big a hint as you are going to get.
    edited February 2013

Given that hint, it wasn't too hard to find them. It does leave me wondering, however, whether you are aware of just how much of a jerk your recent posts make you seem like.

I'm not going to play the "ha ha, I know something you don't" game. Unlike you, I am not going to refrain from linking.

Start here.

Post edited by murgatroyd314 on
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Apparently they can't add something to the wiki and make it hidden to the public, so they have to pretend it doesn't exist because officially it hasn't been released yet.

It's silly. It's DAZ.

• FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

It does leave me wondering, however, whether you are aware of just how much of a jerk your recent posts make you seem like.

Given he's rather obviously under a gag order until the product is released, I'd say the fact he's giving hints at all is pretty much the opposite of being a jerk.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Meh....I took it more like..."I can't tell you officially, but I will give you something to work with." Never got the impression anyone here was trying to say haha....

Now - off to play a game. :)

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Given that hint, it wasn't too hard to find them. It does leave me wondering, however, whether you are aware of just how much of a jerk your recent posts make you seem like.

I'm not going to play the "ha ha, I know something you don't" game. Unlike you, I am not going to refrain from linking.

Start here.

Thank you!!

edited February 2013

And now for the question that has been asked a few times, but has yet to be adequately answered:

It is highly recommended that you choose an install location that is different than you currently installed content.

Whoever's working on the documentation might want to change that second "you" to "your".

Why? What are the advantages of doing so, and/or the disadvantages of not doing so?

Post edited by murgatroyd314 on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Just curious..do you have to reset all your filesmanuallly before the DIM will download them or can they be all be reset inside the DIM at one time?

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Just curious..do you have to reset all your filesmanuallly before the DIM will download them or can they be all be reset inside the DIM at one time?

From what was said earlier I do not think you have to reset them at all.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

would be great if I didn't have to...I thought I read all the posts but didn't see that mentioned, it did show resetting the file in the video tho

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Well, this does look interesting to me. I am gearing up for a clean install.

You say it works with Bryce/DAZ/ even Lightwave? Outstanding

You say it can reset downloads from the DIM? Outstanding. Hope you guys have lots of bandwidth. I am about to use a chunk of it, though being able to point it at a directory of installers would be nice.

You are going to ZIP files instead of dedicated PC/Mac installers? Finally

You went all the way back to V4 with the updates? Will that work continue to other older products? V3 still finds her way into my renders (or at least her items and textures since Genesis can pretend to be V3). Not that V3 is old, just mature.

It would be nice if it could handle updates (much like Apple App store: It flags when products are updated and you can choose specifics or "update all").

Will it work with the old installer files? Or does it eat ZIP files only?

Will there be a way to reset downloads en masse for this? Resetting 40 pages of content (50 to a page) would get downright tedious.

Will it be smart enough to not bother resetting application downloads like Bryce and DAZ Studio (1,2,3,4)?

Will it ever just link directly to the server like cloud backup so it doesn't even need to reset the downloads? Just go and get the files you paid for?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Once the product has been released, then they are linked from within the product. They aren't finished so I am not going to tell you where to look for them, that doesn't mean they do not exist, or are not available. And that is as big a hint as you are going to get.

I work in an ISO20000-certified shop. Part of the certification requirements is that everything is documented, including third-party software. So, if the docs aren't delivered with the software, I'm not allowed to use it.

Thus, this isn't an idle question for me:

Will the docs be released with the software?

edited December 1969

Verlon said:
    Well, this does look interesting to me. I am gearing up for a clean install.

You say it works with Bryce/DAZ/ even Lightwave? Outstanding

You say it can reset downloads from the DIM? Outstanding. Hope you guys have lots of bandwidth. I am about to use a chunk of it, though being able to point it at a directory of installers would be nice.

You are going to ZIP files instead of dedicated PC/Mac installers? Finally

You went all the way back to V4 with the updates? Will that work continue to other older products? V3 still finds her way into my renders (or at least her items and textures since Genesis can pretend to be V3). Not that V3 is old, just mature.

It would be nice if it could handle updates (much like Apple App store: It flags when products are updated and you can choose specifics or "update all").

Will it work with the old installer files? Or does it eat ZIP files only?

Will there be a way to reset downloads en masse for this? Resetting 40 pages of content (50 to a page) would get downright tedious.

Will it be smart enough to not bother resetting application downloads like Bryce and DAZ Studio (1,2,3,4)?

Will it ever just link directly to the server like cloud backup so it doesn't even need to reset the downloads? Just go and get the files you paid for?

It works with any software that uses Poser/DAZ Studio Content, so far. Note that Bryce does not directly read Poser/DS content.

You are reading into it and putting in paradigms that do not apply. Forget the word reset, that no longer applies.

As I already stated, we are currently down to Victoria 4 and we will be adding more as fast as we can. Yes, that includes V3, V2 and V1 Content. I will not make any promises as to how fast that will be done, but speed for conversion is a bit higher than people in the forums have speculated.

edited December 1969

robkelk said:

I work in an ISO20000-certified shop. Part of the certification requirements is that everything is documented, including third-party software. So, if the docs aren't delivered with the software, I'm not allowed to use it.

Once the product has been released, then they are linked from within the product.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    araneldon said:
    I'm a little bit surprised to see so much negativity. Then again, many appear to misunderstand what it is and what it does.

This thing is a vast improvement over the old installers.

Edited to elaborate:

- You don't have to use it. Content will be supplied in zips, so use whatever suits you best.
    - It can download your entire order history with a few clicks -- assuming your internet connection is up to it, and also assuming that DAZ's servers don't melt shortly after this goes live.
    - It can install any number of products with a few clicks.
    - As with the old installers, content can be installed wherever you please. The defaults are intended for technically challenged newbies.
    - Unlike the old installers this program can be fixed and improved.

I could go on... Is it perfect in its current state? No, but the old approach has no advantages over this.

My main concern is none of those things...I would simply like to know if I can use it with content on an external hard drive.

As I now have an ssd drive I am unable to use the c drive for content even if I wanted to...I would really appreciate an answer to this even if it was " yes but we don't recommend it". I've looked at the videos but this isn't made clear...

unless you have something weird in your setup, an External Harddrive is just another Harddrive.

Thanks for your response. Richard just replied in another thread and apparently you have posted on this but somehow I missed seeing it,so it is okay to change the default path? I was a bit worried as it seemed to be recommending not to when I looked at the video for installing where you already have content.

Thanks again for your response.

Pen

edited February 2013

Pendraia said:

Thanks for your response. Richard just replied in another thread and apparently you have posted on this but somehow I missed seeing it,so it is okay to change the default path? I was a bit worried as it seemed to be recommending not to when I looked at the video for installing where you already have content.

Thanks again for your response.

Pen

You can change the default path, it is simply a default path. It is highly recommended that you install from Install Manager to a fresh content path, and not one that is already populated.
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

You can change the default path, it is simply a default path. It is highly recommended that you install from Install Manager to a fresh content path, and not one that is already populated.

Ahh...that explains my confusion. I understood what they said on the video differently. I was already planning to do that if/when I install.

From what I could see on the videos there are check boxes that will allow people to choose what they download at any given time so I shouldn't go over with bandwidth.

Thanks for that.

Pen

edited February 2013

Duplicate post

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

A lot of good info in here about the new shiny, but I don't think any of my questions from the first couple of pages have been answered.

Will those of us with huge order histories be forced to re-download everything to get the new manager to register each product?

Will those of us with heavily customised content folders have to give all of that up for the default location of everything? This would be the major showstopper for me, almost none of my content (apart from the Gen4 figure and morph original Poser files) are still in the default locations. Telling me to throw all this away is a definite non-starter.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited February 2013

robkelk said:

Once the product has been released, then they are linked from within the product.
    Having seen many, many non-functioning links over the years, I doubt the auditors will accept that as an answer.

I don't care any more. I'll pass on the DIM.

(unsubscribes from thread)

Post edited by robkelk on
  • atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

I was looking at the "pages that don't currently exist" and under the install info it lists a certain path it installs to and I'm curious now.... Will this program run on Windows XP? That User path doesn't exist on XP.

edited February 2013

A lot of good info in here about the new shiny, but I don't think any of my questions from the first couple of pages have been answered.

Will those of us with huge order histories be forced to re-download everything to get the new manager to register each product?

Will those of us with heavily customised content folders have to give all of that up for the default location of everything? This would be the major showstopper for me, almost none of my content (apart from the Gen4 figure and morph original Poser files) are still in the default locations. Telling me to throw all this away is a definite non-starter.

I specifically answered those questions, but so you don't have to go looking. :)

Install manager only knows what it installed. There is no way it can determine what you have installed if you installed it by some other method, especially if you have moved things around after you installed it.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, computers have not yet figured out how to read our minds. :)

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited February 2013

DanaTA said:
    "Thousands…you’ve checked every one to see if there are no files in texture with the same name? "

I don't need to, the computer does that for me. Like you said, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing one. If it ever comes up, just say no. Then contact the vendor and let them know so it can be fixed.

For that to happen you'd need to have a file with the same name in a folder with the same name. The chances of that happening are slim to none. Of all the things I've bought in the last 15 years it hasn't happened to me once.

DanaTA said:
    "This actually was concerning the generic folder idea, not the installers or the DIM."

Where did anyone say anything about using a generic folder?

"How many files have you seen with the name reflection.jpg? Or gold.jpg?"

You could have a thousand jpgs named "gold", "reflection" or whatever, it doesn't matter as long as they aren't going into a folder with the same name.

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to this. I'll still customize my folders, but it seems the DAZ Install Manager does a lot more than just install content.

Coldrake

Post edited by Coldrake on
    edited February 2013

robkelk said:

Having seen many, many non-functioning links over the years, I doubt the auditors will accept that as an answer.

I don't care any more. I'll pass on the DIM.

(unsubscribes from thread)

You are making assumptions, that are wrong. Apparently you haven't looked at the docs, or the options there. Top right of any set of docs in the Doc center.
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Install manager only knows what it installed. There is no way it can determine what you have installed if you installed it by some other method, especially if you have moved things around after you installed it.

Which means I might as well not bother with the Install Manager. The extra download control will be nice to have, but the install functions will only succeed in messing up my heavily customised content organisation system that's worked for me since the long-ago days of D|S1. And from the sound of other exchanges in this and other threads, I'm not the only one in this situation.
  • SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

Which means I might as well not bother with the Install Manager. The extra download control will be nice to have, but the install functions will only succeed in messing up my heavily customised content organisation system that's worked for me since the long-ago days of D|S1. And from the sound of other exchanges in this and other threads, I'm not the only one in this situation.

Well, the way I'm understanding it is, I can bulk download files, bulk install to a folder on my desktop, re-name and re-sort the way I always do, and then merge to "My Library" or whatever runtime I want. No more sitting and click clicking one download after another and no more "click click uncheck click" to install a bunch of files. LOL Sounds like heaven to me!