Strange things that happen after learning 3D.

YofielYofiel Posts: 204
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Please add your own? During a movie:

1. When things explode, the pattern of bits flying off the thing which is blowing up no longer looks random.

2. When everyone else is enjoying a movie's special effects, you're disappointed they only used stock 3-point lighting.

3. You instantly estimate the movie budget, the moment the movie title rolls onto the screen.

4. The credits are more interesting than the ending that the script writers chose.

...)

Comments

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited February 2013

You walk down the street (any street), and immediately think:

. hmm, I have that hairstyle - but she should have used the left-side morph;

. hmm, I have that outfit - but I would have textured it differently;

. hmm, that building must sure have taken a lot of polys;

. you look at the shadows and wonder why the GI is so high;

. you count the number of bounces in the reflections of the mall windows, thinking about render time;

. you look at the clouds in the sky, thinking "hmm... the lighting is a bit 'flat'... not very realistic..." (`.`)

(^_^)

Post edited by M F M on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

M F M said:

. you count the number of bounces in the reflections of the mall windows, thinking about render time;

(^_^)

OMG!!! I do ALL these things!

Oh...
    When you see breasts bouncing braless under a shirt, you immediately think: how do I do that???

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

When gazing out of the window, just thinking you say to yourself

Lovely sunset, I wonder if I could reproduce that in Bryce (other programs are available)

Wonderful cloud formations, no one would believe they are real.... no wait they are real.

Hmm, how strange the clouds are lower than the tops of the mountains, wonder if that is done deliberately.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Dont say I go to this store too much, it's close and easy to get to.

..walk in the store. The old man is working and all I can think is I so need Aged for Genesis.
    ..walk in the store. The young Tattoo girl is working, I think that tattoo is not lined up with her texture.
    ..walk in the store. Josaphina is working and I think I need to buy Ethnic for Genesis.
    ..walk in the store. And I think I have the content to render this.

..I pull up to the store and think I could model this but the textures would not be easy.
    ..I pull up to the store and think that guy pumping gas is not posed right.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

- When you can tell the difference between raytracing and an environment in a Pixar or other 3D animated movie.

- You start making notes of the lighting rigs used in your favourite films.

- You start calling your girlfriend "Victoria 4" and she asks who the other three were.

- You start sizing up everyday household objects and categorizing them by polycount.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

when watching a movie or TV show you can tell exactly what software was used to do certain scenes.

You quickly and easily noticed duplicate fake trees in a movie scene that everyone thinks is real landscape.

You get annoyed at the bad lighting and recoloring that is done in most modern movies.

You start seeing 3D models you own on book covers, in magazine ads, etc.

You annoy your date who was a drama major that has been studying film, by mentioning things about how the movie you two just saw, that she didn't know or notice. Examples, how the lighting on a scene was done, what was real and what was CG, etc. To make matters worse you degree is in an unrelated field.

You notice that hobbyist on the DAZ forums and other 3D communities that don't work in the professional 3D community often do better looking renders that most professional 3D stuff you've seen, and they use inexpensive software too.

You're showing off some renders of Victoria to friend. Then another friend comes up who doesn't know that they are renders and thinks your renders are photographs and asks you to introduce him to the "hot chick" in the pictures.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

*Getting slapped in the face by the girl at the beach after asking how to take her purple bikini off. (and forget about trying to pose her, that isn't happening after that)

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited February 2013

* You're watching a sex scene in a movie and you wonder how they got V5 to bend that well...

Post edited by TheWheelMan on
  • ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

* You have to watch each new Pixar movie twice - because the first time you're too focused on what they managed to do (for example, in Brave, the curly strand-based hair and the amazing amounts of naturalistic vegetation, not to mention the clothing).

• edited December 1969

You're watching a (live) actress onscreen and you look at her face and think "Too much subsurface scattering. Doesn't look real."

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

I wanted to bevel a corner in my apartment then realized I could not.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I wanted to bevel a corner in my apartment then realized I could not.

You just need the toolbox upgrade.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

You walk outside, look at the world and think - "Reality looks outdated". Then you promptly go back to your room and render something more real. ;)

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

This thread is to funny ;-P

I spent my Saturday morning rewatching the LOTR so I could focus on the lighting of the movie. My boys were getting irritated because I would pause the movie frequently to take notes on the lighting techniques I liked.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The strangest thing that happens as you learn 3D...

You have stuff to post to all the threads that pop up about seeing the world with 3D eyes.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

About 20 years ago an online friend came to visit. He was deeply into 3D and animation on the Amiga. We were eating pizza with the tv on and he pointed out a gazillion things in every commercial that we would never notice ( I notice a lot of them today, but not like him. ever.). It was both exhilarating and exasperating.

We lost touch many years ago. Hope he's doing well.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,513
    edited December 1969

...you walk outside on a nice day, look up, and remark, "what a lovely Bryce sky this morning".

...your boss sees one of your pics on your desktop PC and wonders why you aren't doing image prep work for the company's Digital Print department.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    About 20 years ago an online friend came to visit. He was deeply into 3D and animation on the Amiga. We were eating pizza with the tv on and he pointed out a gazillion things in every commercial that we would never notice ( I notice a lot of them today, but not like him. ever.). It was both exhilarating and exasperating.

We lost touch many years ago. Hope he's doing well.

I got my first Amiga expressly to do 3D animation! Unfortunately, never got to do it till Poser 2 came out I was so poor... :(

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Whilst creating textures, I often wander around thinking of how high the displacement and or bump map must be on someone to create the wrinkle effect. (Note to self... not something to mention to the Father In Law. Even less of an idea to mention about the Mother In Law.)

Wondering how many polys a piece of clothing has.

Analyzing a skin texture for seams.

edited December 1969

I often find myself posing in a mirror to see how certain body parts move so I can replicate it in Daz.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

I often find myself posing in a mirror to see how certain body parts move so I can replicate it in Daz.

Hah, sure you are. You just love staring at your own naked body! There's a name for people like that. Narcissistic I think they call it... :lol:

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

M F M said:

. you look at the clouds in the sky, thinking "hmm... the lighting is a bit 'flat'... not very realistic..." (`.`)

(^_^)

That's what I do ;-)
    Also, when there is fog, rain or snowy and dark and you see all the lights glowing around you making strange light effects I always think "Ohh, that's expensive to render".

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

That's actually common among pro animators. They usually have a decent amount of space in their office, and at least a few mirrors.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Why do I feel a sudden and almost uncontrolable urge to render an image of a chrome sphere on a checkerboard...

Strange, I never had those urges before I learned 3D

edited December 1969

Hah, sure you are. You just love staring at your own naked body! There's a name for people like that. Narcissistic I think they call it... :lol: Hey, who said anything about naked! Jeans and a T-shirt is all you need to get a good idea of how limbs bend to form poses. Still, if you prefer posing in the buff more power to you I suppose.

• JeffGJeffG Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

This thread is to funny ;-P

I spent my Saturday morning rewatching the LOTR so I could focus on the lighting of the movie. My boys were getting irritated because I would pause the movie frequently to take notes on the lighting techniques I liked.

I use this site to study cinematic lighting:

http://evanerichards.com/archives

(Hit "expand all" and click of a movie title)

• MorganRLewisMorganRLewis Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

I often find myself looking at objects and figuring out how they break down into basic primitive shapes. I suspect a lot of 2D artists do this as well.

• YofielYofiel Posts: 204
    edited December 1969

rofl, thanks for all the heads up, folks. I haven't been outside in two weeks (NASA data manipulations and drawing clouds), when I do, I'll know what to expect....new wrinkles on bumps and reflections :)

• Rowan54Rowan54 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

A friend and I were taking a long drive and we hit a small town in the afternoon.

I looked down the street...which was simple, clean, neat and thought "Nice render. Something missing. Nothing moving. No cars. No people. That one building that's boarded up adds a realistic touch...."

Then realized it was a real place turning into a ghost town...this was during the worst of the economic crash...and this had been a logging town until the jobs dried up and blew away. Only one of the several grocery stores was still open and there were only two employees in the store.

I later took a picture of the mountains standing in the middle of the intersection of the main roads in the town.

The "it looks like a render" was both funny and rather sad.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

One day you go outside, look around you at the vastness of the world and the universe beyond, and you think to yourself "God may exist in Heaven, but he must have one HELL of a PC to render all of this..."