Free 5.5 content kit went where exactly?

LickspittleLickspittle Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in Bryce Discussion

I'm sure I'm missing some really basic step. I can't find all the stuff from the free 5.5 content kit.

In the past after a download all I had to do was root around for a bit and play with the various ways to add things to a scene to find all my content. But I can't find any of the buildings from the free content pack. It said it was installing to my preset folder but when I click the arrow beside Create, there aren't any new buildings. I tried opening, importing, and manually searching. I've now clicked like every button in the program.

There are a million new mats, which by themselves are totally worth the download, but I was hoping to use the small cottage and the cathedral in my comic. I just can't find them.

I used the fix utility posted here to fix the .exe files before installing.

Joking with my husband last night, we agreed I'm going to be a computer expert by the time I get my comic finished because of all the stuff I've had to learn just to get the software/downloads/plugins to work, nevermind learning the softwares themselves!

edited to add: I'm using Bryce 7 on a pc running Windows 7 62bit

Post edited by Lickspittle on

Comments

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Not 100% sure so don't quote me on this, but I think the separate content installer was done away with and now, it all gets installed automatically with the main program - and I don't remember having to run a separate installer for a long time now.

The content should already be there I think.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • Rowan54Rowan54 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

I can't get any of the installers to install anything for the Free 5.5 Content Kit. They're not opening. Which is odd...the older installers usually work fine for me. I'm running Windows 2K. I did try the "All Content" one after reading this thread, but that didn't help either. I also tried re-downloading stuff. They're still not opening.

No idea if this is related directly to the other problem stated above, or is a separate problem with the same product.

edited December 1969

Well, Bryce 5.5 was certainly the best overall release in a visual and reliability sense, but why is everyone here messing around with 5.5?

I have to ask just in case you wasn't aware that Bryce 7 PRO really is free now. It's not as stable but lot's more options and a lot of improvements got into Bryce 7 PRO.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

If you JUST downloaded them, and they have that red Z symbol for .exe file icon, then you got a problem; the .exe file is likely corrupted.

Go to the Commons -- there's a thread stickied about fixing corrupted downloads. Use the tool there to fix the files.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

I had to fix mine, the thread with the fix is here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/865/ :)

• LickspittleLickspittle Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    Well, Bryce 5.5 was certainly the best overall release in a visual and reliability sense, but why is everyone here messing around with 5.5?

I have to ask just in case you wasn't aware that Bryce 7 PRO really is free now. It's not as stable but lot's more options and a lot of improvements got into Bryce 7 PRO.

The 5.5 content pack comes with a lot of stuff, stuff I wanted to use that isn't included in the free Bryce 7.

I used the fix and installed the repaired .exe file, but the content didn't make it into my presets after install, I was just wondering if there was an alternate method of locating the objects.

edited June 2012

I don't get it because as far as I'm aware, nothing was removed (but again, don't quote me on that).

Bryce isn't installed on my machine right now so I can't post a screenshot, but I'm wondering if you're aware of the little arrow in the browser so that you can go into different categories and groups, maybe they're hiding in there. Have to say I'm totally clueless on the content side of things because I never use it when messing around with Bryce, I usually just import something from the main menu so I barely ever see that part of the program. But anyway, keep your eyes peeled for a little arrow (there might be two, I can't remember).

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

Do you mean the little arrow beside the Create button that opens the object presets, or the arrow at the bottom of the object presets that let you select Installed or User? I've wandered around in all the preset categories, I don't see any full buildings other than the freebies I've downloaded and imported into the preset menu myself. I also tried importing from the main menu but I can't find a file for the cathedral or the lighthouse or the cottage to import into the scene.

No big, I can cobble stuff together from what I have.

• Moss_35089Moss_35089 Posts: 20
    edited June 2012

Hi,

After you've done whatever DAz installer does because it does not install into bryce itself, and i'm going by memory but these .obp's are in a folder called "Alfons Blom".

I installed these a few years back and all I did with bryce closed, was to copy and paste this folder into the presets folder under objects and (again a memory thing) when I opened Bryce, this was 6.1 they were found under the Create tag.

hope this helps

M

Post edited by Moss_35089 on
    edited December 1969

Moss said:
    Hi,

After you've done whatever DAz installer does because it does not install into bryce itself, and i'm going by memory but these .obp's are in a folder called "Alfons Blom".

I installed these a few years back and all I did with bryce closed, was to copy and paste this folder into the presets folder under objects and (again a memory thing) when I opened Bryce, this was 6.1 they were found under the Create tag.

hope this helps

M

Awesome, there they are!

Thank you, these are going to work perfectly!

• Moss_35089Moss_35089 Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

you are welcome