Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I downloaded and install just over 600 packs in a matter of an hour, hour and a half

Do they wind up categorized usably? I can't see the videos atm due to a shoddy connection.
  • Lord MajesticLord Majestic Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I downloaded and install just over 600 packs in a matter of an hour, hour and a half

It would be more like a week and a half for me with my download speeds. Not that I'd even get that far, I'd hit my bandwith limit way before then.

So I guess this is just for those with superfast unlimited bandwith internet.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,207
    edited December 1969

You will not need to reset your order history, the software handles that for you.

Is there an option to limit how much it grabs? I dn't know about the US, but in many parts of the world there are caps on monthly bandwidth with punitive top-up fees for going over (and soem of us have big histories).

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

And not just the Damn videos. I can't stand video tutorials, and if that's all the explanation you're giving, then you may as well be giving none, because I won't go watch them.

I agree with this. I prefer written manuals. Videos are not much help for me.

Those video tutorials might be very informative but not everyone can learn from videos as easily as from written word. Also, they take AGES to watch (while a written text can be read through in a short time) and when you want to return to some specific information and don´t remember the exact part of the video in which to look, you have to watch the whole video again (while in written text you can just hit Ctrl+F). Plus it is very problematic (at least for me) to work with a program and follow a video tutorial for this program at the same time, while a text I can just print out and have it in front of me - so the text is easy to follow and I don´t have to swith there and back or replay the video. Etc. etc....

• XfitzXfitz Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Maybe I missed it while skimming thru the three pages of comments, but where and when can we download the DIM?

edited February 2013

Xfitz said:
    Maybe I missed it while skimming thru the three pages of comments, but where and when can we download the DIM?

Nowhere, it is not available yet. But it should be soon (not "DAZ soon"). I just got a newsletter in which it is stated that PC members will be contacted about it next week.

Post edited by Proxima Shining on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Is this a thread to ask questions about DIM? I have a couple.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Is this a thread to ask questions about DIM? I have a couple.

Apparently it is.

edited December 1969

Thanks!

Questions I have

1) Will DIM be mandatory? I.e. can I install my stuff old way, through download and manual installation routine?

2) I've noticed somebody mentioned cloud system. What role it will play if any?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited February 2013

And another question:

I have both Studio 3 and Studio 4 installed. (Studio 3 runs much faster than Studio 4.) How will DIM affect my Studio 3 "content" directory?

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

You will not need to reset your order history, the software handles that for you.

Is there an option to limit how much it grabs? I dn't know about the US, but in many parts of the world there are caps on monthly bandwidth with punitive top-up fees for going over (and soem of us have big histories).

We have those in Canada - if this is going to take more than 5GB to implement, then it's a non-starter for many of us. (I'm lucky in that my ceiling is 200GB... but that includes all those videos that DAZ3D gives is in lieu of a real manual.)

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

I decided to ignore most of the tools and simply uninstalled everything, then re-installed everything to the correct places. It took less than 3 hours (Your mileage may vary.) and I wasn't tied to the computer while it worked.

Some of us aren't so lucky. Given my connection speed and the size of my content directories, redownloading everything would take me over a hundred hours if I weren't doing anything else online at the time. And given the nature of my connection, those hours would not all be consecutive. I'd estimate that it would probably take me a month or more to complete the job.

edited December 1969

robkelk said:

We have those in Canada - if this is going to take more than 5GB to implement, then it's a non-starter for many of us. (I'm lucky in that my ceiling is 200GB... but that includes all those videos that DAZ3D gives is in lieu of a real manual.)

Wow, my ceiling is only 80Gb/month :/
    Which provider you have?

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    robkelk said:

Wow, my ceiling is only 80Gb/month :/
    Which provider you have?
    National Capital Freenet, only available in Ottawa. But there may be a Freenet near you...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Anything NOT downloaded by the Install Manager will be required to be RE-downloaded if you want the Install Manager to manage things. However, it will happily install over existing installs and ignore (not change) any custom categorization/metadata.

IF you've moved things around inside of their relative paths (e.g., moved an item from "pose/bob" to "pose/joe"), it'll just install it in the original path and you'll end up with duplicates.

These two statements, taken together, mean the lovely shiny new Install Manager will be absolutely useless to me.

I have bought a huge amount of DAZ content — I have to re-download all of that just to get the Manager to deign to acknowledge its existence?

I have re-organised almost all of my installed content, partly due to shoddy/inconsistent/incomprehensible folder naming back in the early days, partly due to grouping all the scattered-hither-and-yon Poser folders of an average product into one. I know where to find everything. If I let the Manager have its way, I'll never be able to find anything again.

Sorry, DAZ, I suspected this way back when it was first discussed, but now I know using the Install Manager would be a waste of time for me, and seriously mess up my installed content. It would be great for someone just starting out, but for us long-time users who have a heavily customised content library/Runtime, there's a very good chance it will be useless or worse.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Anything NOT downloaded by the Install Manager will be required to be RE-downloaded if you want the Install Manager to manage things. However, it will happily install over existing installs and ignore (not change) any custom categorization/metadata.

IF you've moved things around inside of their relative paths (e.g., moved an item from "pose/bob" to "pose/joe"), it'll just install it in the original path and you'll end up with duplicates.

These two statements, taken together, mean the lovely shiny new Install Manager will be absolutely useless to me.

I have bought a huge amount of DAZ content — I have to re-download all of that just to get the Manager to deign to acknowledge its existence?

I have re-organised almost all of my installed content, partly due to shoddy/inconsistent/incomprehensible folder naming back in the early days, partly due to grouping all the scattered-hither-and-yon Poser folders of an average product into one. I know where to find everything. If I let the Manager have its way, I'll never be able to find anything again.

Sorry, DAZ, I suspected this way back when it was first discussed, but now I know using the Install Manager would be a waste of time for me, and seriously mess up my installed content. It would be great for someone just starting out, but for us long-time users who have a heavily customised content library/Runtime, there's a very good chance it will be useless or worse.

Exactly. Where's the like button? :)

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Sorry. That doesn't work.

Tell us why this is the best thing since sliced bread. something more than "You'll love it" And not just the Damn videos. I can't stand video tutorials, and if that's all the explanation you're giving, then you may as well be giving none, because I won't go watch them.

I'm Sorry, but I absolutely Hate it when all we get is "Try it, you'll like it" and "We highly recommend you use it this way" without any decent explanation as to why this is "better" than installing it myself and organizing it myself. "Easier" isn't a good answer, because (as we saw with the default DS4 interface fiasco. Or am I the only one who remembers that?) what's easier for the programmers at Daz isn't necessarily easier for me. (See video tutorials, which don't match how I learn.)

It's better because you won't have a copy anymore, it will install things for you then delete the temporary packet. I'm guessing, but from the talk about it months ago, I think I have it right.

It's better because it uses your bandwidth again, if you have a crash and need to reinstall everything. I hope you're not still on dial-up. :-S

And for those who do not have their working computer connected to the Internet...it's better for you because...oh, sorry, I've got nothing.

Dana

edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    National Capital Freenet, only available in Ottawa. But there may be a Freenet near you...

I'll remember the name, thank you.
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    It's better because you won't have a copy anymore, it will install things for you then delete the temporary packet. I'm guessing, but from the talk about it months ago, I think I have it right.

I dearly hope this isn't the case. I don't trust somebody else to keep copies of my data for me - and if I've paid money for it, then it's "mine" for purposes of this discussion.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

You have a choice whether or not to keep the zip or dispose of it after install

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I am trying to understand why in the world DAZ was unable to have the Install Manager be able to search through Studio for existing content, especially when I just spent the last 2 months organizing my content within Studio so the paths did not change. I have waited for the DIM since the new store and then I waited for the DIM since the new store and then I waited for the DIM since the new store, but it never came and no word was given when to expect it. No longer able to wait I uninstalled everything and began the long process of reinstalling (I actually only reinstalled content with metadata). As I installed each and every item(s) I arranged them in a way that DAZ seemed incapable of doing, organized. What a complete waste of time now because of the time it took for DAZ to produce what should have been done months ago.

I guess my only question is can content be organized within Studio once downloaded with the DIM? In other words the disorganized way the content is installed at this time does not work for me.

So my only question is will the content be better organized or will it install it as it was with the executable's?

So my only question is how much is this going to cost or is it free?

My last only question is does it actually work or is it a WIP?

My last only question is how is it going to work with bundles?

I'm sure there are many other questions, but we'll see where this one goes and that one goes and the other one goes and the last one goes.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    You have a choice whether or not to keep the zip or dispose of it after install

And which is the default behaviour, can a change become the new permanent default, and how obvious is it that a choice exists? Many of us have been stung before by "oh, it's obvious you'll use it like this" from DAZ, often enough to be suspicious of such sweeping statements.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited February 2013

Part of my concern Spooky one.... is that many of us choose to create our own directories within the Genesis default directory of People>Genesis. Clothing is split up ... see screen grab. The same for the Character sets and what I consider Fantasy sets are all in their own directories, makes finding stuff easier for me. Another concern is starting from scratch, a year later with literally Gigs of content to redownload and install is that it's mixed up with ALLOT of stuff from Renderosity and some fabulous freebies from JoeQuick, Wilmap and others. So it's really not SEEMING advantageous to go through all this. Convince me otherwise because trying to figure out how to split all that out from the data folder, texture folder and all the rest is going to be ALLOT of work.

ClothingFolderGenesis.jpg
    762 x 584 - 199K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

The drive C:\ is NOT for content it is for the os and os related utilities

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The drive C:\ is NOT for content it is for the os and os related utilities

It is if there is only one partition...and Windows, by default, assumes that's all there is (unless there's a D; with a 'System Restore' on it...)...because on the vast majority of Windows installs, that IS all there is, a single, massive partition. Plus the fact that Windows considers the 'User' directories 'OS related'...not quite sure how they figure that, but, well...they do.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

I decided to ignore most of the tools and simply uninstalled everything, then re-installed everything to the correct places. It took less than 3 hours (Your mileage may vary.) and I wasn't tied to the computer while it worked.

Some of us aren't so lucky. Given my connection speed and the size of my content directories, redownloading everything would take me over a hundred hours if I weren't doing anything else online at the time. And given the nature of my connection, those hours would not all be consecutive. I'd estimate that it would probably take me a month or more to complete the job.

... and some of us are even less lucky and it would take several thousand hours on a dialup connection :( The Daz Studio program all by itself would take me 50-60 hours to download -_-

I asked a few months ago and was wondering if anybody working on the installer project has given any new words on it... Originally we were told it was be a good tool for dialup users and they planned on resume support, but then suddenly it wouldn't support it. Is that still the case, now that it's release is nearly here? :(

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

I have seen this question asked but not answered. Is this download manager going to be mandatory? Or will we be able to download without it and do things our own way?

Also, youtube videos aren't very helpful if you have a dial up connection. They take forever and that is more than just a little frustrating and annoying when you're trying to do things and your connection is lagged because it's trying to bring down a stupid video. I generally as a rule avoid youtube and other such videos.

So with that in mind will there be written instructions and tutorials for the manager?

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

What Sunfire said!

Much like Metadata/Smart Content this is all great for relatively new addicts, but as someone long gone I am much happier staying in control of installing individual items where and when I choose. If this manager is mandatory, then for reasons of control, slow download speeds, download limits, and the not insignificant fact that none of my desktop PC's have ever had, or are likely to have, a modem, wifi, or access to the internet, I shall be a far from happy bunny!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Before getting your bowels all in an uproar, please go back and read page 2 of this thread. DIM is not mandatory, but is highly recommended. In fact, re-read all the posts. Look at YouTube if you've the bandwidth and/or inclination. If a PC member you will get a chance to try it out next week. If you are not a PC member, wait until users start sharing their results. Then see if you want to take it for a test-drive.

• RJS666RJS666 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Not a Studio user, nor do I don't install anything in default directory's so no use at all. Basically I think you are trying to fix something that isn't broken.
    I'll stick with an installer or a zip file so I can put things in logical easy to find places thanks.