I solicit your comments about voting and the awarding of prizes in the Carrara Challenge

13»

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800

I remember it being mentioned in challenges gone by that an entry can be edited/changed before cut off but that a before and after render to be shown in the WIP thread to show the modifications that were made to the original entry with links provided in the entry thread.

but I could be wrong ;-)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2017

Hit the wrong button.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Then I guess if you can alter it, you can replace it. BUT, since this contest is as much about the how and the why as the final image, I'd like to see some kind of justification in the WIP thread.

For you, what kind of justification is acceptable?  Or conversely, unacceptable?

Stezza said:

I remember it being mentioned in challenges gone by that an entry can be edited/changed before cut off but that a before and after render to be shown in the WIP thread to show the modifications that were made to the original entry with links provided in the entry thread.

but I could be wrong ;-)

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess that I'm surprised that something like this hasn't come up more often. 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Pretty much anything. The artist must have thought the replacement better than the original and I'd like to know what led them to that decision. It's not a judgemental thing, it's curiosity . . .

edited April 2017

OK, got it.  It's nice to know what the artist is thinking.

I would be curious too - even though curiosity killed the cat.  Hey, that could be a Challenge theme!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I have a general question about the entry thread, before voting begins.

Are the following things permitted after entering an image?

1.  Altering your image once it has been submitted to the entry thread, and then putting up the altered one in place of the first one.  For example, maybe you needed 19 bats instead of 17.

2.  Substitution of a different image for one entered previously, assuming that you have also posted a WIP of the new image before the deadline.  For example, this may apply to an artist who gets a sudden burst of inspiration near the deadline, and wants to enter a completely different image (and already has 3 entries).

My thinking is that both situations may encourage an artist to go ahead and enter an image, even though the artist is not entirely happy with it, knowing that it could be changed later.

I don't have an issue with either possibility.  But I need to ask, in case it violates a rule or a past tradition of which I am ignorant.

Your feedback, please!

1)  I had asked if this was ok in a previous Challenge earlier last year and nobody said that I could not... so I have updated an entry twice. AFAIK there is no problem as long as it is while entry thread is open.  IMO,  it should be able to be changed before Voting... I once found a tiny error I'd overlooked then fixed before posting the entry.

2)  Substitution of an entirely different render before Voting should be looked at the same way.

Either way for me it's good to have an entry posted as long as I know it can be impoved upon.

Just my crazy opinions. :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

For as long as I have been participating, switching out an image with an updated version of the same thing has never been a problem.  I've done it before when I notice some minor render issue and discover I have time to fix it before voting starts, but I don't think even a more major change would be an issue.

I don't think the other issue, of someone wanting to remove an entryfrom consideration and replace it with something completely different has ever come up before.  I think it would be up to the person running that month's challenge, but I personally would not have a problem with someone doing so.  I agree with TangoAlpha that I'd be really curious about the reasons, but the reasons, or lack thereof, would not really be a factor in whether they could do it or not.