Basic Supersuit UV's for the Supersuit product have been fixed! Our voices have been heard.

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

FANTASTIC!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    I've just had another message from Jared and it's good news:-)

I've got good news. We've got somebody working on it. I don't know when it will be finished, but at least someone is assigned to the task.

Hooray! :)

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    I've just had another message from Jared and it's good news:-)

I've got good news. We've got somebody working on it. I don't know when it will be finished, but at least someone is assigned to the task.

YEAH! Thanks for the heads up! :)

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    Edit: I PM'd Jared to see if he wants me to help out....

All that's required is to re-define the back of the torso, waist1 and 2 and shorts groups so that they have a front and back. It can be done natively in DAZ Studio...

• CauriBCauriB Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

I did a quick fix. It can be found in the freebie section of my homepage, link is in my signature. You´ll need rtencoder to decode it www.rtencoder.com.
    It´s a stand alone product. None of your original data will be overwritten.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Canary3d said:
    Edit: I PM'd Jared to see if he wants me to help out....

All that's required is to re-define the back of the torso, waist1 and 2 and shorts groups so that they have a front and back. It can be done natively in DAZ Studio...

How?

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

This video shows how to work around overlaping uvs in Daz studio
    http://youtu.be/MevnA4Wkkx8

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Randall Lloyd (who no longer works at Daz but was Daz Rand) has been answering Supersuit questions here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2864567

He's so far posted 3 new videos in a series
    you MUST check out that will be great help with the supersuit - the one anikad posted and these:

Supersuit Tips and Tricks Episode 1: Using the suit for clothing deformation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9AQlzdrfg&feature=youtu.be

Supersuit Tips & Tricks Episode 2: Creating Super Emblems for the Supersuit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CR0ssZAdiM&feature=youtu.be

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

I'm also hoping the supersuit stuff will be update for Dson poser compatability soon too .)

• Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389
    edited December 1969

Randall Lloyd (who no longer works at Daz but was Daz Rand) has been answering Supersuit questions here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2864567

He's so far posted 3 new videos in a series
    you MUST check out that will be great help with the supersuit - the one anikad posted and these:

Supersuit Tips and Tricks Episode 1: Using the suit for clothing deformation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9AQlzdrfg&feature=youtu.be

Supersuit Tips & Tricks Episode 2: Creating Super Emblems for the Supersuit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CR0ssZAdiM&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for pointing out these videos!
    dbb

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Yes, much appreciated.

Did they ever fix the UV situation on the basic suit?

• ServantServant Posts: 754
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Yes, much appreciated.

Did they ever fix the UV situation on the basic suit?

Not yet... but there was an update that someone was assigned to it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Please pardon my naiveté. I watched the basic suit video, and I see that some of the garment parts overlap on the UV map. Can someone explain the problem that this causes? Does it prevent people from applying separate shaders to the surfaces that have overlapping areas on the UV?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Anything that appears on the overlapping areas of a single material zone will appear on both front and back, making it hard to place symbols or to have things join up between front and back. If the areas did not overlap, or if they are separate materials and so able to take separate textures (which is Randy's work-around) then that problem goes away.

edited December 1969

Anything that appears on the overlapping areas of a single material zone will appear on both front and back, making it hard to place symbols or to have things join up between front and back. If the areas did not overlap, or if they are separate materials and so able to take separate textures (which is Randy's work-around) then that problem goes away.

So, I guess you are talking about creating textures for clothing in a program like Photoshop. Once you follow Randall's video tip to fix the UV map, how do you get that fixed UV map into Photoshop to use it as a guide to making the textures? (As you can guess, I've never done this!)
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

You need to create templates from the modified item, which means exporting as OBJ, opening in UV Mapper Classic, and turning off the overlapping materials (select them from the Edit menu, then I think it's the ' key to hide them) - you should be able to see several materials at once on a single template, you don't need a separate image for each, but there will be several images in all.

edited December 1969

You need to create templates from the modified item, which means exporting as OBJ, opening in UV Mapper Classic, and turning off the overlapping materials (select them from the Edit menu, then I think it's the ' key to hide them) - you should be able to see several materials at once on a single template, you don't need a separate image for each, but there will be several images in all.

Thank you Richard! I managed to save templates for the Torso Front and Torso Back. Then I created a texture for each in Photoshop. I applied each one successfully to the corresponding surfaces of my modified Basic Suit. Now I will try to do the same with the fixed shorts. I love to learn new things! Thanks again for the instructions.
  • Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited April 2013

I can't believe this has not been fixed yet. The Basic Suit could be such a versatile item that many artists could be creating textures for if not for this glitch. It only took a few minutes for me to fix it after watching the 15 minute video by Randall Lloyd (link below) and I was not even familiar with the process. Maybe they are working on something more elegant but still a major UV glitch never should have made it passed the testing phase or should have at least been fixed within a week or 2 after it was reported. I would think the loss to reputation would be far more costly then the resources needed to fix it. Sure we could just use the quick fix but an official fix would be much better for consistency and would encourage more people to create textures for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr6kk9dAEss

Post edited by Swawa3D on
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

Swawa3D said:
    I can't believe this has not been fixed yet. The Basic Suit could be such a versatile item that many artists could be creating textures for if not for this glitch. It only took a few minutes for me to fix it after watching the 15 minute video by Randall Lloyd (link below) and I was not even familiar with the process. Maybe they are working on something more elegant but still a major UV glitch never should have made it passed the testing phase or should have at least been fixed within a week or 2 after it was reported. I would think the loss to reputation would be far more costly then the resources needed to fix it. Sure we could just use the quick fix but an official fix would be much better for consistency and would encourage more people to create textures for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr6kk9dAEss

Fixing problems doesn't make you a bucket of money instantly. Thus it isn't interesting for DAZ. And I doubt they care much about their reputation in that regard at this point.

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited April 2013

Barubary said:

Fixing problems doesn't make you a bucket of money instantly. Thus it isn't interesting for DAZ. And I doubt they care much about their reputation in that regard at this point.

You may very well be correct but I would think in the long run they would lose more money then saved through lost sales & customers by not fixing it. It could be that spending that time on new items brings in more though. But they could even just allow a user fix. The only logical thing I can think of is they are making more advanced updates to it and wanted to do it all together & that is taking longer than expected. Some communication would really help but I don't think we heard anything other than it's assigned? I'd love to know what type of fix they are going to apply, if any. Like if they go with the fix from the video we could start working on textures now. Maybe they don't even know what they are going to do with it. There is a big expansion being worked on so it should be getting some attention soon.

Some may consider making new original UVs but I would hate to spend time doing that if they make a universal fix.

Post edited by Swawa3D on
  • ZwytZwyt Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Yes please fix it. Daz has such a high standard of quality most of the time to allow an item as big and well as awesome as the Supersuit to go unfixed I would think would be beneath Daz.

Charles

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I am working on a remap and had it almost done when I realized I wasn't working on the base resolution mesh. This as far as I've got since restarting

ReMap.jpg
    593 x 593 - 195K
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

you going for this kind of thing?

supersuitremapfront.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 207K
    supersuitremapback.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 210K
    supersuitremap_template.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 933K
    edited June 2013

I am keeping the hands and feet unattached, I feel it causes less distortion. I also detached the back like in the original mappings, makes it easier to add emblem or whatever, but everything will be on one map. Once I get it flattened I can always add more seams for dividing. Feed back on how people would like it laid out is welcomed, but I am a slow cranky old fart so you may get what you get. I think I have a way to distribute the new mapping without distributing the mesh but it will require either Blender or UVMapper Classic. And I have to find the thread that explained adding alternate UVs using Studio.

Post edited by jestmart on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Jestmart! That looks good! :)

edited December 1969

I finished the mapping a few days ago. To get the hands to map well I had to separate the upper and lower sides. Just tested the distribution method using UV Mapper Classic and a .uvs file and worked flawlessly. Now I just have to get confirmation for DAZ distributing the .uvs file doesn't violate copyright.

GBSS_UVMC_ReMap.png
    2000 x 2000 - 250K
  • NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    you going for this kind of thing?

Looks great Joe, I'd def use that!
    Can't get mine quite symmetrical :(
    I keep trying though :)

Remix2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 267K
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    I finished the mapping a few days ago. To get the hands to map well I had to separate the upper and lower sides. Just tested the distribution method using UV Mapper Classic and a .uvs file and worked flawlessly. Now I just have to get confirmation for DAZ distributing the .uvs file doesn't violate copyright.

Please let us know what they say. In all likelihood, it's ok to redistribute .uvs since it's not a mesh file. It's great you've taken the time to do this. :)

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

If you create the UVs from scratch you don't need permission, but if you modify their UVs (dragging them around/repositioning etc) then you do need permission - a UV set is a sellable thing, even though it's not a mesh.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I find it incredible that we are all still fighting with this. If I sold something as elaborate as the SuperSuit and the users couldn't make their own textures because of my UV work, I wouldn't be able to sleep until I corrected it. "Thank-you" to everyone who is trying to do the work and share it with the rest of us.