Convert MMD PMD Freebie models to OBJ for Daz/Poser

2»

Comments

• Excuse me,

Can you explain how to convert the model with rigging? These has some models with beautiful complex riggings, that is very hard for me to do rigging handfully again in DAZ Studio in case I convert the object without riggings...

Thank you!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795

is no secret they just import if they work but not all do, there must be differences in the files themselves.

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,669

Damn, importer for DAZ Studio isn't more available, is possibile to find in other part of internet?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    edited April 2017

http://bouyke.hatenablog.com/entry/2015/06/16/203249

I still see it

oops I see what you mean

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I've forgotten to download thefirst time, and when i come to download it, isn't more available. Someone hknow where i can find it? Or at least the email of his creator?

• Does anyone still have a copy of the converter? It's no longer available on the website. Thanks in advance!

• Does anyone still have a copy of the converter? It's no longer available on the website. Thanks in advance!

Even if they do, unless there's a readme allowing redistribution it can't be shared.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,783

According to the readme, via Google Translate;

"Redistribution is not allowed in principle. If you really want to do, please contact the author along with the reasons. If you feel that there is legitimacy it may be permitted."

• Although NOT free, a registered Zoltan Karpati "3D Object Converter" can open PMD & PMX, then export them as eg OBJ.

Sadly, 3DOC cannot handle spa etc files so, if you switch to a textured view, often throws up lots of 'file not found' or 'unable...' messages.  Exports as OBJ + MTL pairs then lack those textures...

I've found some truly wild Anime-ish hair-styles, but have not yet figured how to reliably re-use MMD's materials & textures. Or how to edit a PMD/PMX file to use spa etc files converted to Poser-friendly file types...

'Due Care' please on MMD license / usage provisions !!

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579

3DOutLaw, I must be doing something wrong.

I downloaded both PyMeshio and Blender_MMD_Tools-Master, placed them within the ...scripys\addons\ folder, accessed Uers Preferences in Blender and tried the "install from file" function, but neither set will appear in the list.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong.

BTW, my version of Blender is 2.77.  Is there a compatability issue?

Sincerely,

Bill

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

I am running 2.79, but I have never had to install from file.  Since it is a 2.6 plugin it should work, as its more likely mine would break it.

On mine, the folder layout is:  C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\blender26-meshio\etc...

...where the blender26-meshio is the add-on, with all the files and subdirectories.

Make sure you put it there correct, and then open Blender, User Prefs, and scroll way down and look for "Import-Export: meshio...or type mesh in the search string in the top, and see the attached

meshio.jpg
    1090 x 752 - 161K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579

I see what happened.  The zip had one higher folder and that's what I copied into \addons\, when I should have copied the folder literally labeled "blender26-meshio" which one level deeper.

I found some kaiju (Hedorah and the original MechaGodzilla) models I want to export as .OBJ format, hence my struggle with the python script.

At least it now shows up in my import/export options.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Bill

Glad I could help!  smiley

• nikkellynikkelly Posts: 33

Trust me to do things the hard way...

PMX-Edit (The free Eos part-translated version), Pmx Editor screen, File(F), Export, drop down type to Alias Wavefront OBJ.

This even works for 'munged' PMX files which 3DOC reports has bad geometry and refuses to open.

But, the OBJ comes through swapped L/R and, often, with wonky textures. Former may be fixed in Pmx Edit by using PmxView, Edit, Mirror Model before export.

I'm sorry, I cannot figure why the textures are okay in PmxEditor, but do not match the OBJ, even when all named textures are 'present & correct'.

And, I'm sorry, I have no idea how to export bones...

Wow, just stumbled across this, and it is a LOT easier to convert PMX to OBJ:  http://onemangaday.dexp.in/tutorials/pmd-custom-hair.html

Here is a direct link to the converter:  https://github.com/DeXP/dxPmdxConverter/releases/tag/1.1  (a little 30k standalone exe)

(plus, since it is so simple, you "could" quickly convert faces as well and drop them on a Genesis body! cheeky not rigged in this case, but...)

How it work, better download before it dissapear as the first script :D

• taiuritaiuri Posts: 553
    edited November 2018
    nikkelly said:

Trust me to do things the hard way...

PMX-Edit (The free Eos part-translated version), Pmx Editor screen, File(F), Export, drop down type to Alias Wavefront OBJ.

This even works for 'munged' PMX files which 3DOC reports has bad geometry and refuses to open.

But, the OBJ comes through swapped L/R and, often, with wonky textures. Former may be fixed in Pmx Edit by using PmxView, Edit, Mirror Model before export.

I'm sorry, I cannot figure why the textures are okay in PmxEditor, but do not match the OBJ, even when all named textures are 'present & correct'.

it worked with the links before. Thank you!

Post edited by taiuri on
  • taiuri said:

Thank you!

Glad I could help !!

Am now in throes of trying to import rigged stuff.

I've tried PMD/PMX => 3DOC => FBX => Poser. So far, I can only import the few models 'without physics' that did not thwart 3DOC. Sadly, any rigging seems to vanish along the way.

Hunting around my archive drives, seems I got Blender some-when. So, I'll try PMD/PMX => Blender +MMD Tools => FBX => Poser.

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

Nikkelly,

Please share the results of your test here, I am very curious to see  if you can get MMD characters into poser rigged. I have always wanted to get idol m@ster or keitel figures into poser or even better into DAZ.

Share also all the software used.

• 3dOutlaw said:

Wow, just stumbled across this, and it is a LOT easier to convert PMX to OBJ:  http://onemangaday.dexp.in/tutorials/pmd-custom-hair.html

Here is a direct link to the converter:  https://github.com/DeXP/dxPmdxConverter/releases/tag/1.1  (a little 30k standalone exe)

(plus, since it is so simple, you "could" quickly convert faces as well and drop them on a Genesis body! cheeky not rigged in this case, but...)

Would you explain about Bold Part ? Do you have tutorial about using those head in Genesis ?

Thanks

You just "Hide" the head parts using the Scene tab, of Genesis, and then load the head you imported into the Scene, position/scale it correctly, and then parent it to the hidden Head node.  Now it will be the new head.  You may just have to postwork the seams.