Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

It does have the same kind of feel to it!

Szark said:

he last one reminds me of the ciggy card I made http://itiseyemeeszark.deviantart.com/art/Barbarian-King-270572452 with the help of a overlay someone made for the beginners contest some years ago

Greybro said:

I used Greybro's Disciples of Creech and the new character that came out this week Aran.

Then I had some fun with postwork lol.

1st one is the orginal render with the postworked background

Wow! I love them all!

Thank you!  Had good stuff to work with lol!

Diomede said:

I like them all.  If I had to choose, I prefer #4, but I agree that 3 and 5 show the figure very well.

Thanks!  I agree with.  From an artistic stand point I like 4 the best and consider it to be more on the art side.  3 and 5 though definitely highlight the armour which is what I was really going for to begin with lol.

Szark said:

I started with PS Elements 6 then progressed backward to when CS2 was free so I didn't have much trouble getting in to PS 2017 and Lightroom which is new to me and great for sharpening a render.

I have elements 11 and 13.  I like them but the CC just has.....more.  And I know I've just scratched the surface lol.

Me too 3 & % they do a great job of lightening things up so you can see the details better. I find that I almost always and lighting things up in post. It looks perfect in Daz, but out of daz it just seems under exposed..... Maybe that's just me though. :D

No its not just you.  I am just starting to add postwork to renders (I was working on learning Studio straight up before I started adding postwork, I was too tempted to fix things in post work that I really needed to learn to do right in Studio first.  Nothing wrong with fixing things in post but for myself, I wanted to get it as right as possible before going to postwork, just because I feel like need to really learn the program to get the best results.)

I've been moving V4 skins over to Gen2F.  I'm very happy to say that for the most part they are working flawlessly.  This is Myrael by Arki.  I have one make up that is not working (it is working but it doesn't match any of the body mats so, its not really working lol.)  I will eventually be moving over the shapes as well but I am thrilled that I can move over all the cool skins with tatoos, scars, make up etc. that so many V4 characters have.

edited April 2017

I really like what Llynara is doing in her thread with posting her goals and things she wants to accomplish for April.  I hope she doesn't mind my stealing her idea lol.   It will give me some accountability and help keep me on track as I tend to be all over the place. And April is going to be very very busy in real life as well.

I did get my V4 skins all converted over the Gen2F so I'm happy about that.

So,

1. I would like to do one modelling video in Blender or Carrara a week (following along and doing not just watching)

2. Texture one item of clothing in photoshop with 2d textures and using the trim brushes I picked up a couple months ago for that purpose.

3. Paint either make up or a tattoo onto a skin in photoshop

4. Go back to some earlier renders and either finish or fix/redo them and add the planned postwork

5. Continue to participate in the Carrara challenge

6. Learn two new post work techniques in Photo shop

7. Continue working on converting skins M4 to Gen2M is next and continue to convert clothing and poses up through generations.

Longer term goals

Learn to use LIE and make my own Templates or whatever it is that it uses

Figure out GenX and get started on moving characters up through the generations

Continue to learn modelling in Blender and Carrara

Continue to improve my skills in Photoshop

Make a book cover!

Keep working on my world and the stories that go with it.

Use HDRI's more

Organize my texture and render files more, its getting difficult to find things - need to make more sub folders lol.

Speaking of moving skins - this is Gen2F wearing V4 Rapture skin - its still a bit grainy around the hair but its past bedtime and its just a test. Pretty much straight out of the box.  I am applying Anagenessis now and will let it render overnight to see if it will make any different.  It looks pretty good now anyway. I did make her teeth not quite so bright and white, they were very white.

Edited to add the second render with Anagenessis.  What a difference.  I actually like them both but I think its amazing how well this works on V4 skins.  I actually like the eyes in the first one the best, they are a bit lighter and brighter but that would be easily fixed in post.

GEN2F RAPTURE V4 SKIN.png
    988 x 1600 - 3M
    GEN2F RAPTURE V4 SKIN ANAGENESSIS.png
    1236 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited April 2017

Found this while I was organizing my rendered pictures file.  Totally forgot I had it lol.

Evening Archer.png
    2045 x 1636 - 870K
    edited April 2017

This is a simple barrel I modelled following a tutorial (remember my list lol).  I am now working on the spout and pipe but having some issues figuring out how to make it work. I've asked over at the Carrara forums so I am sure I will have an answer soon.  In the meantime its almost bedtime so I am stopping for now, will have to pick it up again later

BARREL 2.png
    640 x 480 - 84K
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Found this while I was organizing my rendered pictures file.  Totally forgot I had it lol.

I love the mood of this, sort of lonely and a little haunting.  

Thank you!  It was actually an accidental kind of thing, I was having lighting issues.  But I liked it enough to keep it, that's the feeling it gives to me as well.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Now that's a fantasitc book cover!

You inspired me to do something similar.  Wow!

Thank you very much!  I really value your opinion! I think maybe I will see if I get this into a book format.  Its on my (very long) list of things to learn and do lol.  I don't know why I'm so darn intimidated by the thought.

Kinda looks like the background is from Top of the World. 

Here you go, super easy book cover mockups. :) http://covervault.com/category/freebies/ ;

Oh that looks very helpful thank you!

edited April 2017

So I was categorizing a few things and came across these freebie heels (pretty sure they are from sharecg).  They come untextured but have lots of materials zones.  I am going to have a blast using shaders and texture on these.  There are two tiny white spots where the front heel meets the cushion but in a render I doubt you could see it and its easily fixed in post. 

I love shoes, but, I can't wear heels that are too high because I have a plate and two pins in my right foot midway between my heel and my toes which makes it almost impossible for me to bend my foot that far without being extremely uncomfortable ( okay, screaming agony is more like up I won't admit to that lol).  So virtual heels will have to fill the gap.  The funny thing is, for those who know me, you know I don't do modern renders very often lol.  I may just do a bunch of different designs and then do some renders with just shoes, for the fun of it.

RED AND WHITE FLOWER HEELS.png
    2000 x 1600 - 3M
    Ha! Me too! The most I can wear is a 2" wedge, but it's usually flats, so my CG gals wear the heels for me. In reality, I look at those heels and say, PAIN.

Do you remember where you got the heels?

Here you go, super easy book cover mockups. :) http://covervault.com/category/freebies/ ;

That's nice, thanks.
    dracorn said:
    Ha! Me too! The most I can wear is a 2" wedge, but it's usually flats, so my CG gals wear the heels for me. In reality, I look at those heels and say, PAIN.

Do you remember where you got the heels?

Yes they are from amy_aimei This is her deviant art account. I don't remember if I got them there or her website but I would imagine you can track them down.

hahaha I look at them and go "oh look, those are super cute!"  THEN I go, "oh wow, those look like they are gonna really hurt"  lol.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

So I was categorizing a few things and came across these freebie heels (pretty sure they are from sharecg).  They come untextured but have lots of materials zones.  I am going to have a blast using shaders and texture on these.  There are two tiny white spots where the front heel meets the cushion but in a render I doubt you could see it and its easily fixed in post. 

I love shoes, but, I can't wear heels that are too high because I have a plate and two pins in my right foot midway between my heel and my toes which makes it almost impossible for me to bend my foot that far without being extremely uncomfortable ( okay, screaming agony is more like up I won't admit to that lol).  So virtual heels will have to fill the gap.  The funny thing is, for those who know me, you know I don't do modern renders very often lol.  I may just do a bunch of different designs and then do some renders with just shoes, for the fun of it.

I wonder if you could edit the mesh geometry and create a surface for that spot and apply shader at that point. Would save post in PS or other.

I have no idea I don't have much (read any lol) experience in doing stuff like that. I am currently just learning the very basics of modelling and dealing with mesh.  It may be worth doing once I have a bit more experience and know what I am doing. 

I honestly love postwork so that aspect doesn't bother me but it may bother someone else so I am glad you suggested it.  If you know an easy way to do that I would be most happy to try it out lol.

Those are cute! You picked awesome shaders to go with it! 

Thanks!  I love shading and texturing!  On my short list is to learn to apply the textures to the uv maps. I can do it on simple uv's now but want to work on doing a whole outfit etc.  Using a shader on them is of course easy lol, and I will admit to being a bit of an addict when it comes to shaders.

If anyone is interested SAV's shop is on sale 50% off over at the other place

Thanks.  Out of Touch is also on sale at 65% off.

dracorn said:

Thanks.  Out of Touch is also on sale at 65% off.

I saw that this morning.  I'm trying not to look after binging on SAV hair lol.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

Thanks!  I love shading and texturing!  On my short list is to learn to apply the textures to the uv maps. I can do it on simple uv's now but want to work on doing a whole outfit etc.  Using a shader on them is of course easy lol, and I will admit to being a bit of an addict when it comes to shaders.

Hi Sonja, I started using DAZ in January and have dug in becuase there were too many things I wanted to know. And, geometry editing for surfaces was one that I spent sometime and continue to learn with. Can't always afford to buy digital assets. :-) So, been learning the hard way.

Joseph

edited April 2017

Its funny a lot of us here tend to learn the hard way lol.  I've been here just about a year and a half and I too want to know everything .  Preferrably right now of course.  I am teaching myself to model at the moment so I may have to go have a look at the geometry editor soon and see if I understand it better. 

I am always happy to have anyone post their experiences, tips and tricks and/or questions so feel free to stop by anytime. I'm usually around most of the time and always happy to chat.

Edited for spelling.

cismic said:

Hi Sonja, I started using DAZ in January and have dug in becuase there were too many things I wanted to know. And, geometry editing for surfaces was one that I spent sometime and continue to learn with. Can't always afford to buy digital assets. :-) So, been learning the hard way.

Joseph

I just started in January too! I'm starting with texturing and character creation, because it goes best with my past experiences/specialties.  I would love to start in on blender NOW, but I'm trying to force myself to stay in daz and focus on character creation. Trying to stay focused and learn 1 thing at a time and not try and learn 50 things at once... It's so hard to do though....lol 

cismic said:

Joseph

I just started in January too! I'm starting with texturing and character creation, because it goes best with my past experiences/specialties.  I would love to start in on blender NOW, but I'm trying to force myself to stay in daz and focus on character creation. Trying to stay focused and learn 1 thing at a time and not try and learn 50 things at once... It's so hard to do though....lol 

So true!  Although I try and stay focused on one or two things sometimes, I need to stop, and work on something else for a bit, just to let things digest a bit.  When you are ready to give Blender a go we have a beginners thread here in the art forums.  Although Carrara is another really good program that has a native modeller that is really very similar to Blender.  Plus, it does a lot of other very cool stuff besides rendering and modelling.  Oh wait, you are trying to focus on one thing at time sorry! 

What can I say, I'm generally all over the place, although I did keep my commitment to not do any postwork on my Daz renders until I was fairly comfortable and getting a really good base render to start from.  I knew if I didn't I was going to cheat, and I really wanted to be somewhat competant in studio before going down that road lol.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

You've been a very busy girl while I wasn't looking!  Nice work with all of your conversions.  One of these days, I might even follow in your footsteps.  I love the shadowy image with the mountains!  That's really very good.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.