skin rendering animation problems

bakkbakk Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in New Users

sorry to bother, but I've tried looking this up and the conversations end up getting way over my head.
Here's my problem:
Whenever I render an animation with skin in it, I get these lines on the skin. See here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/esxhjtuoexaukb9/skintest.mpg

I have a pretty good computer with a dedicated 2G video card, so I don't think it's my computer.
I am using a distant light with the X-rotate at 145 degrees and a very slight pink hue added to the light
All the render settings and skin surface settings are default
I am using V5 supermodel with Bree skin

How do I get rid of those lines on the contour of her skin?

Post edited by bakk on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If by 'lines' you mean the colour banding, that'll be due to either your render settings (low quality render) or your choice of encoder. Other than that I don't see any other 'lines' which might be abnormal in the video example shown.

• bakkbakk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, I guess you could call it colour banding. That seems like an appropriate term.
    If you look in the center of the back, just below the shoulder blades, you can see a circle of a darker colour, surrounded by concentric circles of lighter colours. How do I get the colours to blend together smoothly?
    I rendered it on the highest setting (the 3Delight)

edited January 2013

What video compression did you use to create the MPEG? That's another key factor in determining the final results. If the colour banding shows up doing a single frame render, then it will also appear the same way in the video. If it doesn't, then the problem is clearly your choice of compression.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

edited December 1969

I'm going to need a little more detail than that. Is that the compression setting or the name of the actual codec you used? For example, in this video I used Lagarith Lossless Codec, which preserves all the detail of the finished render.

I was mostly testing the animation, hence why she's in a bikini rather than a full outfit. Quicker to render. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it dammit :p

edited December 1969

OK, you're way over my head now. When you say "compression" are you meaning what Daz asks after it renders the video? there is a drop down box of options incluing "microsoft video" "full frames" "Intel IYUV codec". Am I supposed to see the one that you mentioned?
    If I download that codec will it appear in that dropdown box?
    The one I was using was the "microsoft video" option
    BTW, I couldn't open your video that you provided.
    I think you need to talk to me like a 3rd grader here. Very noobish

edited December 1969

OK. Got it!
    I downloaded the codec you referred to and then I was able to see the video you mentioned. Also, when I went to render a video, that codec was listed in the options and I chose it.
    Presto! - no more colour banding.
    Thanks so much for your time in answering my question

edited December 1969

Okay, let's start from the top shall we?

Daz renders your video initially as a series of single images. Think of it like a comic book, with each image being a single frame. It then uses a video compression codec to turn that image sequence into a video file. The type of image you get out of it depends heavily on what codec you use and what compression levels you're using.

Basically high compression = low quality, smaller file. Low compression = high quality, larger file.

Different codecs have different ways to compress data, and are compatible with different players. One vital thing to know is that MPEG is *not* the codec it is a container file. Think of it as the wrapper of a candy bar. The candy is your encoded movie file, and the wrapper is telling you what's inside. AVI, MPEG and OGG are all examples of container files. They tell your computer which codec to decode the movie with. Many can also store extra information such as subtitles, but we'll not get into that too much here.

In short, the file extension is just the wrapper. The real candy is how the file was originally encoded, and for that you need a decent codec. I believe there are some decent encoders on download.com but do take care when installing anything from that site. Lately they just LOVE to throw adware into almost everything, so always do a custom installation and uncheck all of the toolbars and other useless junk they try to throw at you.