My Project: Brash Lonergan adventures - Warning AI Discussion Possible

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2017

Appreciate the feedback, everyone.  Copying Vyusur's youtube Blender head tutorial here to save with my other referenes.

Have to say that I skip steps - which might be creating bad habits.  But based on several polyflow guides, there seems to be a standard poly-structure for the face.  I followed the brow mask and how it interacts with the eye rings and the mouth ring, etc.  So, I just start by inserting an oval with the number of points for the eye rings, then extrude inward to get the ring of polygons around the eye.  Repeat for each major poly-flow area and delete the center n-gon.  Join the meshes and line them up with the reference photo.  That gives me the recommended polyflow and mesh density, which seem to be a standard.  Is there a reason to start with a single quad? 

I don't have the recording software.  Maybe I should get some to get more guidance.

EDIT:  Oh, and like DesertDude, I really just concentrate on half the face then duplicate with symmetry.  Welcome any pointers or other suggestions if this could present pitfalls.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    diomede said:

My very own Lorenzo Lorez, so to speak.

As always, suggestions welcome.

Good job buddy, getting better and better, I always thought that original story is always bettter with original characters ...

Seeing StoneMason's models and canned Victoria's with swords and dragons and same motion files used over and over again in so many different stories told is a bit stale.

As a 3D modeler I always remind people that modeling characters (or anything else fot that matter) in itself is an art and it's just like sculpting in real life and it can have its own "story", so model away, I't cool to watch your skills grow smiley

Beautifully written, FifthElement! I agree wholeheartedly!

Both you and Vyusur are doing wonderful modeling! Love watching it grow!

I'm glad you've opted to use rust-prevention!!! ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Vyusur said:
    diomede said:

The mesh and it's topology are beautiful, Diomede. Don't stop, I think your character has great prospects!

times 2 :)

• diomede said:

My very own Lorenzo Lorez, so to speak.

As always, suggestions welcome.

Good job buddy, getting better and better, I always thought that original story is always bettter with original characters ...

Seeing StoneMason's models and canned Victoria's with swords and dragons and same motion files used over and over again in so many different stories told is a bit stale.

As a 3D modeler I always remind people that modeling characters (or anything else fot that matter) in itself is an art and it's just like sculpting in real life and it can have its own "story", so model away, I't cool to watch your skills grow smiley

Beautifully written, FifthElement! I agree wholeheartedly!

Thanks, lol, on this very subject I agree with myself too wink

I know, right?

diomede just keeps pushing himself ever forward, getting better all the time, making some really cool characters and stuff to render with them!

Trust me FifthElement, I'm a big fan of Yours too!

...and Vyusur is kicking some ankle as well!!!

Bravo you all!

​Back from my Florida trip just in time for a big snow storm.  Even though Brash will be wearing shoes, I did throw together some low poly feet based on the edge flow guides that DesertDude posted on the first page of the thread.  Will do a restart on the feet, but not unhappy with this attempt.  Expect the Brash model to have the complete mesh and basic morphs by the time DC clears out all the snow.  Texturing is a different matter.

hh brash feet.JPG
    1263 x 694 - 75K
    edited March 2017

Today is the first day of the final Brash Lonergan figure.

Prototypes no more.  My second foot model improved enough for the next step.  I have practiced heads, ears, hands, feet, etc.  Learned some basics on maintaining low poly density but with good edge flow.  Still need to know more, but confident enough to get going.  Time to put it all together.  The roads and sidewalks refroze overnight.  I have plenty of hot chocolate.  I prepared new reference images.  Starting from scratch, a new Brash complete mesh begins now.  Woohoo.

My next post in this thread will have a model between the reference planes.

EDIT:  revised reference planes without perspective

gg03 brash iso reference.JPG
    1394 x 929 - 130K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I would suggest using isometric images if you can (ie. without any perspective) as the perspective in the references you are using may throw you off just a little, particularly the full lngth side view. Looking forward to seeing the results.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Can hardly wait.  Looking good Diomede.

Awesome!

Yup, freezing and covered in snow here too... plenty of hot chocolate! ;)

Can't wait to meet the real Brash!

edited March 2017

Ooooh.  surprise​   I am so far behind.  The storm was not so bad as expected here so I haven't had as much time as I thought.  However, I will post my progress anyway.  Brash has a final face mesh now.

hh01 face edge loops.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    hh02 modeling room.JPG
    628 x 724 - 48K
    hh03 face update.JPG
    982 x 966 - 80K
    hh 04 brash face.JPG
    910 x 925 - 79K
    edited March 2017

Here is an update on the Brash mesh.  Some recommended edge loops from the videos on the first page of this thread are shown in red. The triangle joint approach has been used on some areas like the fingers, elbows, and knees, but not others like the armpits or ankles. The ears are more similar to Vyusur's example found on the same channel by following the link to her head guide.  Totals about 6600 polygons.

Currently, I am trying to learn the ERC plugin.  I have never used it before. I found a free example on sharecg, but I'd still appreciate any pointers.

hh16 model and guides.jpg
    640 x 640 - 24K
    hh17 mesh.JPG
    1515 x 1016 - 155K
    hh18 edge loops again.jpg
    640 x 640 - 30K
    hh19 back.JPG
    1082 x 995 - 89K
    edited March 2017

And even though the figure is not quite finished, I did a test rigging and a simple overall clothing using VWD. 

Love that VWD!

hero pose.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 34K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Excellent modeling, Diomede! Did you rig him before eyes and teeth instalation?

That's looking really great - kudos to you!

edited March 2017

@Vyusur, Thank you.  Your yutube videos are very helpful.  I have not added the teeth or eyes yet, but I'm not really done modeling the base figure mesh.  I did a simple rig so that I could test how the joints bend.  For example, I am comparing the triangle joints for the fingers and elbows to joints with quad fingers and elbows.  I have not adjusted weightpainting at all.  Depending on the test results, I may still make a few changes to the mesh, especially fingers and toes.  I will add the eyes and teeth before I do the actual rig. 

@PhilW.  I have a question. Am watching your video tutorial for Advanced Carrara Techniques again.  Focusing on the Fenric ERC plugin.  I am trying to follow the WWI plane wing section of the tutorial in order to learn ERC.  Instead of the wing that comes with the working files, I am using a test model (a mesh that just has two feet).  However, in the vertex modeler, when I select one of the feet, the option to "split model" is not active.  I also tried selecting just the front of one of the feet.  It was still grayed out.  How is the "split model" function made active?

edited March 2017

Here is the C7 manual on splitting objects.  But how do I set up component pieces?

split object manual.JPG
    1525 x 371 - 37K

Split Object (I assume you mean this when you say Split Model) works in the Assemble Room and not the Vertex Editor.  Select an object that has multiple polymeshes, select Edit/Split Object and it gives you a group with each polymesh separated out. I had actually forgotten about that function so it is a good reminder!

SOLVED - Split object

Split will split up polymeshes that are in the same vertex object.  If a vertex object is a single polymesh, split will not work even if the polymeshes are not connected.  I had modeled the feet as a single polymesh by using the symmetry function.

You can also cut from one vertex model and paste into another vertex model - the second one can be blank so you just get the newly posted mesh.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Phil.  We must have been typing at the same time.  I am going to add a couple of screenshots to show the problem I had with the feet.

feet a one polymesh.jpg
    1666 x 860 - 283K
    feet b two polymeshes.jpg
    1506 x 951 - 265K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Turning the feet into two meshes is easy:

1. Select one foot. (rectangle or lasso drag)

2. Copy (cmd/ctrl C)

3. Delete (del)

4. Paste (cmd/ctrl V)

Job done.

edited March 2017

Some helpful resources for Fenric ERC, which is sold here in the Daz store.

1 - a helpful guide can be found at Carrara Cafe - 

carraracafe.com/wp-content/ERC-made-easy/CarraraERC.pdf

2 - Conrad3DC has a great facial morph tutorial for Daz figures at Carrara Cafe - http://carraracafe.com/articles/erc-made-easy-enhancing-facial-realism/

3 - PhilW controls wing parts with ERC in his advanced tutorial videos.

Now, if I can just apply these lessons correctly, I can make some enhancements to Brash's hands and face for poses and expressions. Have finally left the concept stage behind and am constructing the final figures.  Yay! Despite feeling out of my depth, am pretty happy with how Brash is working out.  Should be feeling much more confident when it comes time to finish the final Moxie figure.

Even though my personal project is for a comic or graphic novel, have to admit that I want to do some test animations when I get the Brash figure finished. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

awesome work Diomede.... very inspiring yes

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Very well done.

It may even inspire me to try modeling something likely not as complicated possibly a brick or a book. .

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Kewl!  Can't wait to get my Brash on again. :)

Thanks, guys.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Just what I thought, Diomede! Because I have several figures on my HD rigged but without eyeballs and inner mouth. The same reason.

edited March 2017

​Inpired by Genesis 3, I have been experimenting with adding bones to the head to aid facial expression morphs.  Just as a test, I put a bone in the middle of the head towards the front, then extended bones for the chin, corners of the mouth, nose, cheeks, outer eyebrow, and iner eyebrow.  The following are entirely with bones, no morphs at all. 

Morphs would still have to be the primary expression tool, but these bones could be helpful as long as the effect is kept subtle.

pp02 face default render.jpg
    640 x 640 - 15K
    pp03 furrow eyebrows.jpg
    640 x 640 - 15K
    pp04 mouth corners down.jpg
    640 x 640 - 15K
    pp05 mouth corners up.jpg
    640 x 640 - 15K
    pp01 face bones.JPG
    1520 x 979 - 140K