Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited January 2013

Kittens playing with strands of wool.

Don't forget the tutorial if you want to join in the inkblot madness...

New today!

And only five minutes long!

Bryce 5 minute scene project - random inkblot generator - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Inblot2_5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 309K
    Inblot2_4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 343K
    Inblot2_3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 309K
    Inblot2_2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 630K
    Inblot2_1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 333K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

From David’s tut., it was quite easy to produce these inkblots. Had a go at anaglyph blots – tilted the terrain back from camera (took one picture), moved camera in x position by 3 units (took another picture), and then combined for an anaglyph. Sort of worked (red/cyan glasses required)...lol.

It must be my state of mind...but I’m seeing evil-looking faces in all the above ‘blots’. Gotta make an appointment with my psychologist very soon :)

Jay

rosch3d.jpg
    731 x 735 - 889K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2013

Jamahoney said:
    From David’s tut., it was quite easy to produce these inkblots. Had a go at anaglyph blots – tilted the terrain back from camera (took one picture), moved camera in x position by 3 units (took another picture), and then combined for an anaglyph. Sort of worked (red/cyan glasses required)...lol.

It must be my state of mind...but I’m seeing evil-looking faces in all the above ‘blots’. Gotta make an appointment with my psychologist very soon :)

Jay

you're not the only one, I see evil evil faces...

one of the ones on the prevous page looked like an evil Koala bear..

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

I think something's burning...

inkblot1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    edited December 1969

ok, just who was the lead developer for Bryce?

inkblot2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ...one of the ones on the prevous page looked like an evil Koala bear..

LOL, yes. Don't let Dorian's - sorry, er, "David's" - "that's what you see in them" schtick stick.

The horrendous (sunblest flower meadow) death-dealing killer Koala of body-building underbite:

killy.jpg
    854 x 705 - 138K
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @cj: Those images, especially the first one, are very interesting. Where exactly do you place the reflective plane to get those effects?

On these I used a vertical plane splitting the scene in half. Tried a horizontal plane, but the results weren't as attractive.

Thanks, @mermaid010!

edited December 1969

well, I guess there's no denying it anylonger.. we ARE in the Matrix..

The-Matrix.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

After looking at all those inkblots I think I need a lie down. Wonder whose going to take notes. It's either this or never turn off any lights.

@cj: Thanks.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Inkblot or abstract, thanks David for teaching us another way to make cool art with Bryce.

inkblotex.jpg
    650 x 650 - 118K
    edited December 1969

Jay, anaglyph inkblot, I like the idea! And it works really well.

Rareth, that's just what PJF wants you to think - now he has planted the idea in there. I don't see any evil faces in yours only sheep and tie-dyed fabric, clouds and fluffy bunnies.

PJF, you have brought your own deamons and now try to blame them on me!?

Mermaid, interesting material effect, reminds me of abalone, could be turned into a nice texture.

OK, few more, just because I can't help myself.

I'll provide titles, so you don't have to strain your imaginations too hard.

1, sunflower
    2, wriggly worm
    3, pepper pot

And remember, if you see evil faces, it's your problem not mine!

Inblot_v9.jpg
    850 x 850 - 344K
    Inblot_v8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 200K
    Inblot_v1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 448K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited January 2013

...fluffy bunnies.

Demonically possessed fluffy bunnies, yes. And we know the historic truth of those:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMdSaC5flOk

You're sussed mate. You weigh the same as a duck for sure.

Cute David bunny...

killbunny.jpg
    500 x 500 - 72K
    Post edited by Peter Fulford on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

I haven't had the time to watch those videos and experiment. Busy with another project I ought to stay focused on. But I could manage making this simple scene. The three flying things are Patrol Spaceships by Angel Estevez, high in the sky is a Pausanias Cruiser by Phillip Drawbridge, both models from DAZ 3D. The planetary surface is just the ground plain with the Desert and stone material by David Brinnen applied to it.

SomePlanet.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 225K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have been striving to produce an image in my normal sort of style, but losing Daivd's dreaded pastels. Trouble is I don't like the trees now. I think I need to import some nice trees.

There was a message behind this one when I first did it.

upsandowns_lo.jpg
    675 x 900 - 511K
    edited December 1969

Beautiful render Pam, the lighting is excellent the only thing that really gives it's Bryce origins away is the "droopy" trees. I offer an "artistic" suggestion, maybe tilt the camera forwards a bit until the horizon cuts the image into 1/3 sky and 2/3 ground.

Horo - at long last, a curved horizon! I already know the secret, but maybe folks would like to guess.

PJF - so now we are taking Monty Python as historic truth? I'll trade you one of my favourite scenes. OK, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwFXGPRDu4

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@Pam - that's a fantastic and very detailed render! Yes, the trees look a bit "brycey". But if you take trees from Carrara (excellent tree lab) or Arbaro or Dryad or whatever, they have a much larger impact on memory than the Bryce ones. Yes, that 1/3 - 2/3 ratio David talks about, I most of the time forget about it.

@David - the curved horizon, yes - that's the project I ought to stay focused on ;)

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2013

Oooh..Horo...that looks lovely...perfect monotone colour all around, too, and the curved horizon gives a great distance effect.

Chohole...yeah..know what you mean on the tree’s issue...sometimes Bryce trees can have secondary branches too thick in proportion to the main trunk, which really spoil the overall look to a ‘normal’ tree.

On the ‘blots’ issue..and what each of us see...okay so, let Sheldon explain it all...:)

Jay

paper_disproves_spock_by_the_msp_sketcher-d5ri6rq.gif
    150 x 150 - 1M
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Wow, this thread moves quickly! Just finished looking at everyone's wonderful renders, and I'd like to post one of my own. I'm just starting out with Bryce (I primarily use DAZ Studio) and this is my first Bryce creation worth sharing...just a basic landscape, but I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

terrain1d.jpg
    600 x 800 - 60K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited January 2013

@David: I have to admit, I with everyone else seeing evil faces in your images. But I had an excuse. I've been reading to much sci-fi and watching to many sci-fi movies. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Though I do like what you've come up with.

@Pam: The junk in the foreground says it all, so perhaps the trees should look as they do. It wouldn't do to have all that junk lying around and see beautiful trees in the background. It's a very nice image.

@Scott: That's a nice image.

@Horo: That's an interesting image. Nice work.

Here's what I came up with playing around with David's inkblot tutorial. I used a symmetrical lattice, then a random generated terrain.

Tan_Map_Slid_6.png
    885 x 885 - 1M
    Red_Fiber_Optic_Light_Drk_BkGrd.png
    885 x 885 - 1M
    Dark_Quils_Red_Tips_Blk_BckGrd_Redder.png
    885 x 885 - 1M
    Autumn_Fire_2.png
    885 x 885 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Ohhhh, Rorschach tests. Very cool David. ;-)

Thank you Miss B!

Did you get them all correct?

Here's some more to try. Heightmap made from a altitude mask of Tori processed in Genetica.

Sort of shifts to a sort of woodcut effect.
    Ohhhhh, you want me to get them right????

Yeah, sure, not in this lifetime. ~mwhahahahahahahahahahaha~

Seriously, though, I've never taken a Rorshach test, so don't know what the results would be. I wouldn't even care to hazzard a guess.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: I have to admit, I with everyone else seeing evil faces in your images. But I had an excuse. I've been reading to much sci-fi and watching to many sci-fi movies. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Though I do like what you've come up with.

@Pam: The junk in the foreground says it all, so perhaps the trees should look as they do. It wouldn't do to have all that junk lying around and see beautiful trees in the background. It's a very nice image.

@Scott: That's a nice image.

@Horo: That's an interesting image. Nice work.

Here's what I came up with playing around with David's inkblot tutorial. I used a symmetrical lattice, then a random generated terrain.

Those are nice Guss, I especially like the first (I love fall colors), and the last one. ;-)
    edited January 2013

Wow, this thread moves quickly! Just finished looking at everyone's wonderful renders, and I'd like to post one of my own. I'm just starting out with Bryce (I primarily use DAZ Studio) and this is my first Bryce creation worth sharing...just a basic landscape, but I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Since sky + terrain + water plane is one of my most favourite subjects in Bryce - I like the challenge of simple scenes (which is not a contradiction, because if forces you to make the most out of every element available to you instead of relying on complexity to hide the limitations of your media).

Artistically, as I said for Pam, it can improve composition to tilt the camera either backwards or forwards so that the horizon bisects the image into the 1/3 and 2/3 proportions. This is a trick I picked up off photographers. Then there is the questions of balance. If you are a right handed person you might like to stick the "weight" of your image (usually the darkest portions) on the left. But on the right can be just as good. Symmetrical landscapes can work too, but not normally with the aspect ratio you have chosen. If you want to go down that route, try a 2:1 instead.

Technically, what I would recommend if you are new to Bryce is sticking with your simple scene for now and try moving the sun around and seeing how it alters the mood of the scene, perhaps try a random sky or two - you could get lucky and get a really nice one... or end up with magenta haze and a green sun - it happens. At this point I would not advise attempting complicating matters with advanced render modes. Do the most you can with the minimum until you are satisfied you are in control and then expand your options.

I have some landscape tutorials on http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/ that might help...

Bryce desert landscape - part 1 - a 15 minute tutorial in two parts by David Brinnen
    Bryce desert landscape - part 2 - a 15 minute tutorial in two parts by David Brinnen
    Bryce lake in a landscape - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce shoreline - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 10 minute skylab project - basic sunset effect - a tutorial by David Brinnen

As it happens, I will mention this in passing, Horo and mines Bryce Mentoring DVD is currently on offer. And many of the earlier tutorials we made are linked to from here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/323/ hosted in a lower resolution than is available on the DVD.

Jamie, number three with the storm crow.

Miss B, Rorschach was recently the topic of a Radio 4 program (I don't have a TV and even if I did I wouldn't watch it), I like radio, the pictures are better - as they say - anyway what I didn't know was that Rorschach didn't just pick a random selection of blots but hand painted each one, with deliberate symmetry - because we tuned to symmetry due to looking at faces. But there is no question of right or wrong, the tests are designed to elicit a response that reveals something about the internal landscape of your mind. There is nothing inherent in the random, like clouds, you see what your brain wants you to see.

Edit oh, and here's a new tutorial. Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - setting up the default launch state - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest. Everything modelled in Bryce5, as I'm still having stability problems with Bryce 7 Pro. Then I took the scene in to Bryce 7 to adjust the diffuse specular settings. The scene was rendered out with a plain black sky, then I created the background using photoshop.
    Haven't really got involved here like I should, but having been a regular at Rendo for years the place seems very slow nowadays compared to when I first joined. Having a quick browse through some threads and see some old faces seem to be involved here know. Plus David Brinnen is here and the man seems to know Bryce like no other.
    Last time I was here you could submit images into a monthly gallery, has that stopped? Also what happened to Artzone?

astonishing_view_copy.jpg
    1449 x 763 - 396K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Hi Orbital

Artzone died some time back, and is not projected to be replaced. The Galleries were taken down when the old site was archived and this new site came on line.

We are promised that we will get New Galleries, but have yet to get any indication of the timescale. We did think they would have been back before now.

Some people are making "Art Portfolio" type threads in the Art Studio Forum, but I don't think we have any Bryce specific ones there yet.

Nice to see you over here.

Nice render.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Hi Orbital

Artzone died some time back, and is not projected to be replaced. The Galleries were taken down when the old site was archived and this new site came on line.

We are promised that we will get New Galleries, but have yet to get any indication of the timescale. We did think they would have been back before now.

Some people are making "Art Portfolio" type threads in the Art Studio Forum, but I don't think we have any Bryce specific ones there yet.

Nice to see you over here.

Nice render.

Yep funnily enough saw the same question asked in a thread a bit further down, so followed the link you put in there and started my own portfolio. So thanks, nice to see you to.
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited January 2013

[snip]... perhaps try a random sky or two - you could get lucky and get a really nice one... or end up with magenta haze and a green sun - it happens.

@Scott Livingston: Only in addition to David's suggestions. You are finding the random sky here. (I could not find it awhile by myself, therefore I thought I make a picture... follow the red arrow.) BTW your first attempt with Bryce looks promising.
    randomsky.jpg
    657 x 129 - 30K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited January 2013

This should be a scene from above. A plane should fly over the clouds and between them you can see farmland with a few trees. The clouds turned out a bit strange, but IMHO quite interesting.

vonoben_landwirtschaft_und_obstbau.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I'll provide titles, so you don't have to strain your imaginations too hard.

1, sunflower
    2, wriggly worm
    3, pepper pot

And remember, if you see evil faces, it's your problem not mine!

And if you see dead people, you've been watching too many Bruce Willis movies.

edited December 1969

This should be a scene from above. A plane should fly over the clouds and between them you can see farmland with a few trees. The clouds turned out a bit strange, but IMHO quite interesting.

I like the clouds they give the image an illustrated look.
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

There was a message behind this one when I first did it.

I'm going to guess that it was a message to your mate to pick up his dirty socks? Right? :)

This discussion has been closed.